Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A fun thing to do in Cataclysm: Collect a bunch of zombie corpses. Pile them up in a locked room. Wait for them to reanimate. Use zombie pheromones on some of them. Instant zombie pit fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Fun way to clear out a town with a church in it on static mode: ring the church bells over and over again until it's filled with zombies, prep a molotov, toss it in, jackhammer the wall and run like hell. :getin:

(Seriously burning down buildings in this game is loving crazy fun)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

A fun thing to do in Cataclysm: Collect a bunch of zombie corpses. Pile them up in a locked room. Wait for them to reanimate. Use zombie pheromones on some of them. Instant zombie pit fight.

For a second there I thought you were going to say "Pile them in a locked room then throw a molotov inside"

I've actually got sick of being chased by a large amount of zombies in an area, so I dropped a bunch of wood and unwanted clothes inside of a house then set it on fire when all the zombies came in and jumped out the nearest window.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
This game has gotten a hold of me in a big bad way; I was up till 4:30 AM last night playing it. Although around 3:30 I realized exactly how late it was and how tired I was, so at that point I decided to gently caress around just to see exactly what would happen in different situations. So I backed up my save so I could later revert, grabbed my jugs of fuel and burned down my HQ just to watch how it would burn. Turns out it burned spectacularly and with lots of explosions once it got to my weapons and trap lockers.

It was at that point I jumped in my truck and started hauling rear end across the map; I wanted to see exactly how far a completely full tank of gas would get you in a default spawning flatbed truck (2 tanks with 3 fuel usage). I didn't have high hopes because when playing normally, it burns 2% just going the short distance from my HQ to the closest town, but I found that keeping a steady speed on the highway (50 mph, because any faster and I can't take turns without slowing down) seems to really cut down on the fuel usage. In the end, I explored as far I could to the northeast and then as far as I could to the northwest, and still had 86% of a tank left (having filled it at one point with 1200 units of fuel, which is worth about 15% in that truck).

That does bring up an issue I've found however; the map may be pseudo-infinite (bounded by the size of an int), but that doesn't guarantee that it generates continuous roads. There were more roads to the south, but if I wanted to go north I would have to go through a monstrous forest, the likes of which standard spawning vehicles can't make it through. Hit one tree at any speed and you'll gently caress it up, hit more than that and you'll be walking. You'd either need to build a behemoth of a vehicle to plow through, or go the trailblazing route, where you clear out trees for a couple hundred yards, move the vehicle up, repeat, making camp when necessary.

It was at this point that I reverted my save and realized that while any changes you made to the map aren't saved, it does save the newly generated areas. So while that new town I found on the screw-around play-through won't be the burning wreckage that I left it, it is still there as it was generated when it was first discovered. It's kinda weird that the game would save generated areas that haven't been altered, as that's just wasting disk space (using the same map seed, those areas should generate the same no matter when or how they're discovered).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Buildings and such stay the same, but items and mobs are more or less independently random. If you explore a town, quit without saving and then explore it again, zombie distribution and items will be different. In order to make sure that stuff you dropped or saw doesn't just disappear into the ether, the game has to save every part of the map that you've seen.

There really should be a check to make sure that only areas that you have seen since the last save get saved again. Loading times get pretty long once you've explored a few labs.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I have a few more quick questions that have come up.

1) Is there anyway to tear down walls/roofs/fences/etc beyond smashing them or ramming them with a vehicle?

2) Is there anything you can currently do with rotten food? I've just been piling it in a huge mound outside my HQ as food goes bad, and it seems like such a waste. I'd at least like to use it for fuel for throwing on a fire I've already started with a 2x4 or stick (calories are just a measure of how much energy is generated when food solids are burned).

3) Is there anyway to mark a container, like you can mark spots on the map? Failing that, is there anyway to build or move containers like the glass refrigerators you find in supermarkets/gas stations? Those at least let you see what's inside.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
This game has also gotten a hold of me like a bad habit. I'm just now getting good enough to clear the starting town in one or two characters, with some minor problems of course. I was hoping you guys would give me some advice to help me out.

First, Police Stations. I've found a couple in my travels now, and they seem to be pretty universal in size and room layout. But there are two metal doors that I can't get to open. I figured 's'lamming them won't work, and every time I try to use the computer, manhacks fall from the ceiling. My most recent character actually managed to kill all four of them that dropped in, but then the computer just stopped working. Do I have to get my Computer Skill up pretty high, or is it possible to 's'lam those doors down?

Second, I found a subway a few characters back, and I didn't explore it. I only had an Uzi and maybe a magazine worth of ammo for it. I ended up resetting the world that it was in because I kept getting rocked by zombies in the town. Should I have/start exploring subways that early in the game, or were my suspicions about certain death in there correct?

Third, I can't figure this whole driving thing out. It seems most cars/trucks that I find have all the needed parts and fuel to run, but they don't. Then other times, they do. I 'e'xamine the vehicles first to make sure they have everything, but it still seems like a 90% chance that it just won't run. Am I completely missing something, or are those just the odds of a working vehicle?

All that being said, this game is pretty fun. I'm getting into summer now and I just keep on having a blast. There's just something about shooting 40mm Incendiary Rounds inside of a Gun Store that really brings out the sheer ridiculousness of this game.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 19, 2013

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Cardiovorax posted:

It's simply the tradeoff for static generation. If zombies didn't reanimate, cities would just empty out way too quickly, because no new zombies get spawned. If you don't want to deal with it, use dynamic mode. Zombies don't get back up then.

I tried to get into this back when whalesdev was still working on it, but had a hard time. Every time I started to get a good character I would run into a string of unrecoverable crash bugs. Been playing for about 9 hours today on the nightly DDA build and it's been smooth as silk.

I really like the static generation mechanic. Compared to how it was last time I played it, and how Rogue Survivor does its constantly respawning, escalating enemies, combat is much more rewarding and there's an incredibly satisfying sense of progression that just wasn't there before. The chopping/burning mechanic is especially cool - I can blow through a town, loot is clean, then roll out without bothering about corpses, but having the option to go back after the combat to finish off the zombies one by one to make an area safe is vastly preferable to the infinitely respawning, infinitely escalating hordes.

I'm glad this is under active development again by the DDA group and everyone else working on a fork. I thought this game had a hell of a lot of potential to be one of the most interesting and fun roguelikes around when I played it back in October/November, and the changes the DDA crew are making look fantastic.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jon93 posted:

Dear god the code layout in this annoys the poo poo out of me as well. Most of the time I spend modding this is working through the weird rear end code structure.

edit:

I've been thinking about how to make the end game a little more interesting, I might explore making the game a whole lot harder to survive in. The main hurtle is making sure the game isn't too hard at the start. Without NPCs to make things interesting the game in it's current form boils down to just surviving and gathering supplies, if you manage to get lucky and stumble across some crazy poo poo then it becomes a carebear fest and nothing can touch you.

I'm starting to prepare for the SA Game Jam which will occupy all of my GDA time since I'm a team lead this year, But I'm interested in hearing your ideas on how to keep the game intense into the late game. I may experiment with stripping the game down to the base stuff (no mutations, a-cult items, crazy zombie mutations) and add heavily tweaked versions of those systems back in over time tweaked around the player being the sole survivor. Maybe try and emulate the Left 4 Dead dynamic spawning system?

Seems like a fun gameplay design exercise to me!

I still think the easiest way to structure gameplay is through the seasons. By making winter extremely harsh and unforgiving, you provide an incentive to spend the previous three months stocking up on supplies and fortifying a defensive fortification. In winter, creatures should spawn that can seriously destroy you if you aren't ready for them on top of all of the environmental hazards. If you don't have warm clothing, a stockpile of food (maybe animal spawns could decrease during winter months as well?), and a strong base, you'll get torn up.

Beyond seasons, you could have long-term progression goals to help structure gameplay. For instance, salvaging/repairing/building a helicopter. Or finding a way to get into a sealed government bunker. They don't necessarily have to be end-game goals, just something to work towards--the same way a good car is a major mid-game goal.

And then, ideally, there would be a single major end-game goal. This could really be anything, but given the vehicle system in Cataclysm and the advanced technology involved, I think it would be cool to have to build your own spaceship. This planet's hosed, time to go to MoonBase. :science:

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Unbound posted:

First, Police Stations. I've found a couple in my travels now, and they seem to be pretty universal in size and room layout. But there are two metal doors that I can't get to open. I figured 's'lamming them won't work, and every time I try to use the computer, manhacks fall from the ceiling. My most recent character actually managed to kill all four of them that dropped in, but then the computer just stopped working. Do I have to get my Computer Skill up pretty high, or is it possible to 's'lam those doors down?

You can blow open metal doors using explosives, or just blow open the wall to the room. That works too.

Unbound posted:

Second, I found a subway a few characters back, and I didn't explore it. I only had an Uzi and maybe a magazine worth of ammo for it. I ended up resetting the world that it was in because I kept getting rocked by zombies in the town. Should I have/start exploring subways that early in the game, or were my suspicions about certain death in there correct?

I've never been in a subway either, but every time I've come across one, they're absolutely surrounded by zombies.

Unbound posted:

Third, I can't figure this whole driving thing out. It seems most cars/trucks that I find have all the needed parts and fuel to run, but they don't. Then other times, they do. I 'e'xamine the vehicles first to make sure they have everything, but it still seems like a 90% chance that it just won't run. Am I completely missing something, or are those just the odds of a working vehicle?

When you scroll over parts in the vehicle window, what color are they? Part condition is color-coded from:
code:
best :: dark green->light green->yellow->pink->red->gray :: worst
...with gray being broken parts. The best way to tell at a quick glance whether a vehicle is functional in its current state, is to look at the max safe speed. If it's '0', it has all the parts it needs, but something is broken. If it or other values (such as fuel consumption) don't have any value, then parts are missing. If max safe speed has a value larger than 0 though, the vehicle just needs fuel and it's good to go.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Unbound posted:

Locked doors in the police stations can't be smashed, but you can smash through the nearby walls with a car or truck assuming you have a spare or have the plating required to smash walls without breaking your vehicle. Failing that, shoot a grenade at the nearby wall and make a new door that way.

I haven't explored subways myself, but I'd assume they're not great to explore due to the area being so completely enclosed and probably not having much in the way of items worth grabbing versus a lab or ordinary gun store. It's likely better to just learn how to melee and dodge really well so that you can survive most zombie scraps with melee and arrows/rocks before trying too hard to look through one, if at all.

Vehicles that spawn in towns have a pretty low chance of being driveable right away. That said, vehicles only missing one or two critical components are fairly common, and even the wrecks that are too broken to be proper cars have small amounts of gas in them, so with a welder, welding goggles, and enough mechanics skill + a rubber hose and spare bottles, you can turn a third to half of the vehicles in town driveable by cannibalizing the others for spare engines, wheels, or controls.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Awesome! Sounds like the solution to all my problems was finding a good vehicle. But I have one other question I forgot to ask. How do I store things in containers, like lockers or refrigerators? I have a pretty sweet house I found that has a basement complete with a bed and plenty of lockers. I wanted to put the guns I found in those lockers, but I couldn't get it and they would end up on the floor instead.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Unbound posted:

Awesome! Sounds like the solution to all my problems was finding a good vehicle. But I have one other question I forgot to ask. How do I store things in containers, like lockers or refrigerators? I have a pretty sweet house I found that has a basement complete with a bed and plenty of lockers. I wanted to put the guns I found in those lockers, but I couldn't get it and they would end up on the floor instead.

Stand next to it then press 'Shift+D', then choose the direction of the container. '/' may work as well, but I can't remember if it actually puts the item in the container.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Unbound posted:

When you spawn, go raid the nearest house for a rubber hose and a container of some sort. You shouldn't have to raid more than 2 houses to find a container. Every refridgerator contains a rubber hose if you (s)mash it and (e)xamine the rubble. Once you have a hose and a container, you can siphon gas by examining a vehicle and searching for its gas tank and pressing (s).

Then find a vehicle that has 0's for wheels (not X's, that is a frame which is missing wheels). I've had really good luck with flatbed trucks. Examine it and see if its top speed isn't 0 and its wheels are 'enough'. Fill it with your gas and drive it somewhere safe. You now have a vehicle.

Most characters can be driving a vehicle within 10 minutes if you don't succumb to YASD.

Jonny Retro posted:

Stand next to it then press 'Shift+D', then choose the direction of the container. '/' may work as well, but I can't remember if it actually puts the item in the container.

'/' does in fact work.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So I have a stock car I'm working on. I found a electric motor and a battery (when I found my wonderful jack :toot:). The battery installed just fine, and I have a mechanics skill of 8 or so. Why can't I install my electric motor as a backup/stealth in-town engine?

Further dumb questions:
Where's a good place to find heating elements?
Where can I find CBMs besides shocker zombies? Labs are too deadly for me, even though I have a LOT of IDs. Is there a way to hack computers by using an ID/turn off the robots?
Where can I get solar panels for my car?
How do I boost my Cooking beyond what the textbook can tell me, fast?
Is there a way to slow down skill decay?
How do you guys organize your stuff, in houses?
Do solar powered motorcycles work good?
What's a good source of mutagens/mutations?
Why am I so full of dumb internet game questions?
(all on .05 vanilla)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T-man posted:

So I have a stock car I'm working on. I found a electric motor and a battery (when I found my wonderful jack :toot:). The battery installed just fine, and I have a mechanics skill of 8 or so. Why can't I install my electric motor as a backup/stealth in-town engine?

Further dumb questions:
Where can I find CBMs besides shocker zombies? Labs are too deadly for me, even though I have a LOT of IDs. Is there a way to hack computers by using an ID/turn off the robots?
(all on .05 vanilla)

Maybe it won't let you install two different types of engine? Try taking the conventional engine out and putting the electric one in.

CBMs can turn up on the bodies of scientists and soldiers randomly killed out in the world, I've also see them in bank vaults and places like that. Hospitals can have healing oriented CBMs, sites like public works or toxic waste dumps can have CBMs oriented around survival. As far as the labs go, molotov cocktails are your friend; the turrets pretty much die instantly. Just don't get shot up before you throw it.

There's a fair number of solar/electricity powered vehicles strewn about; salvage a panel off one of those. I've also see them at hardware stores I think? Maybe it was an electronics store.

Solar powered in general doesn't seem to work great for me; the panels either charge the battery way too slowly or not at all. Solar powered motorcycle might be fine; otherwise for bigger cars I'd stick with conventional engines (or minireactors).

I *think* skill decay is adjustable in the options in the main menu, I'm not sure if you have to start a new game for it to take effect though.

Anywhere with high radiation is a good source of mutation. Drink sewer water, hang out in the craters you find sometimes, I think a toxic waste dump I found had crazy levels of rads. Geiger counters are your friend.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 19, 2013

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

T-man posted:

So I have a stock car I'm working on. I found a electric motor and a battery (when I found my wonderful jack ). The battery installed just fine, and I have a mechanics skill of 8 or so. Why can't I install my electric motor as a backup/stealth in-town engine?
Not sure, there's some text but its cut off so I think there's a much higher skill requirement for more than one engine.

quote:

Further dumb questions:
Not sure besides soldering irons.

quote:

Military bunkers have them. You'll need one ID to open the main door and then at least one ID as the bunker will have 6 locked rooms and usually groups CBMs together. Hacking skill with an electrohack or explosives also work to gain entry.

quote:

You can salvage them from an electric car. The one you took the engine and batteries from should have had one.

quote:

Not sure besides cooking ridiculous amounts of meat.

quote:

There's a CBM which limits skill decay. Or you can turn it off in the options.

quote:

I like to have a drawer or locker for different items, i.e. one for weapons, one for clothes, one for food etc.

quote:

I could never get solar power to work. Left my car charging in sun for days but wouldn't charge 1%.

quote:

Labs are best but military bunkers sometime have them. Or dead scientist or soldier encounters.

quote:

(all on .05 vanilla)
Cause this game is crazy addictive and detailed but not well explained. Like most rogue likes it takes alot of trial and error or consulting on forums/wikis

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Is there a way to pour those gallon ammonia bottles onto the ground? I want to use them to store gasoline, but the game keeps telling me there's no room when I try to wield it and hit "U."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Is there a way to pour those gallon ammonia bottles onto the ground? I want to use them to store gasoline, but the game keeps telling me there's no room when I try to wield it and hit "U."

Ooh, I can anwser something now!
Yes, select it in your inventory and do U. Then, hit Escape. That will give you the question of "Dump it on the ground?". From there, use it for gas (or for water).

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Cosmik Debris posted:

When you spawn, go raid the nearest house for a rubber hose and a container of some sort. You shouldn't have to raid more than 2 houses to find a container. Every refridgerator contains a rubber hose if you (s)mash it and (e)xamine the rubble.

Anytime I smash a refrigerator and examine it, I get a "If only you had a shovel..." message. Even if I do use a shovel to clear it the rubble, it never contains a rubber hose.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bilal posted:

Anytime I smash a refrigerator and examine it, I get a "If only you had a shovel..." message. Even if I do use a shovel to clear it the rubble, it never contains a rubber hose.

Have you tried 'e'xamining the tile? There ought to be a rubber hose at the very bottom of the pile of steel in the tile.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the long-term appeal of this game would be improved a lot by adding some interesting high-level abilities, a reason to keep improving your character. If level 25 firearms gave you the ability to turn every shot you fire into a small explosion, you'd actually have a reason to keep training it. Level 25 construction? Maybe throw up whole stretches of walls or pits, or get the ability to construct whole buildings out of a template instead of having to place every tile manually. poo poo like that. Right now, skills and abilities don't really scale too well.

Bilal posted:

That's not something that should happen. Try moving onto the pile and [g]etting the items instead. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bug and they didn't spawn properly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There should be reinforced glass or something. Even when you install hard plating over a windshield, it doesn't seem like it provides any meaningful protection from zombies breaking through.

I want to make a zombieproof car, but I'd also like to be able to see out of it, you know?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Marenghi posted:

I could never get solar power to work. Left my car charging in sun for days but wouldn't charge 1%.

I think you need to be actively controlling the car for the battery to charge. In a regular car it should up to full an hour or two (I think). Hopefully this is one of the bugs they are working on, but since the game doesn't process anything much past your visual range it might stay the way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a known bug. Cars with roofs will never charge their batteries. You just need to remove one or two roof tiles, that'll usually to it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So apparently Jabberwocks are a thing now? :confused:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

So apparently Jabberwocks are a thing now? :confused:
Yep. I fought one. Seemed like it was maybe something like on par with a zombie tank.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So I just killed a dog.

:wtc: at it just dropping 5x5 tiles worth of bear traps. That's like..Well over a thousand bear traps crammed into that undead pooch.

Edit: Okay. Well, everything is dropping a shitload of bear traps now. Save file here.

Anyone else getting the same fuckup?

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 19, 2013

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Anticheese posted:

over a thousand bear traps crammed into that undead pooch.

Anyone else getting the same fuckup?

Fuckup? where? :munch:

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
I don't know how you guys play Cataclysm, every time I try to play it I run into brutes and other terrible zombies that will just kill me, and/or I get swarmed by hordes of zombies. What am I doing wrong???

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 19, 2013

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
If you want an easy/easier run go into options before you start a new game, turn on static spawn turn off special zombies and put your starting skill and trait points up to max (i believe its 24 points rather than 6) Start with fleet footed and like 4-6 levels of dodging and you should be good to go

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

qwako posted:

If you want an easy/easier run go into options before you start a new game, turn on static spawn turn off special zombies and put your starting skill and trait points up to max (i believe its 24 points rather than 6) Start with fleet footed and like 4-6 levels of dodging and you should be good to go

While that may be good for some people, it honestly feels kind of pointless to me. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, though!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Take it slow at the beginning. Use terrain to your advantage, try and draw zombies off one by one over broken windows or bushes outdoors. The movement penalty will slow down their attacks. After a few days your skills will reach a point where you can kill them even quicker so terrain won't be a necessity to survive.

And explosives are great for clearing out groups. Don't be afraid to molotov them or use grenade rifles. They're commonly found on dead soliders along the roads outside of town. Just be careful burning down buildings. I once torched a restuarant after a heap of zombies followed me in, the fire jumped two tiles to the nearby electronics store and burnt that along with a library that I was planning to loot.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Justin Time! posted:

I don't know how you guys play Cataclysm, every time I try to play it I run into brutes and other terrible zombies that will just kill me, and/or I get swarmed by hordes of zombies. What am I doing wrong???

stay away from city centers if you dont plan on taking it really slow and drawing the zombies away one at a time.

One of the most effective methods for clearing a town is acquiring a truck and at least a 15% tank of gas and driving to the dead center of the city and driving in circles at 10 mph until zombies stop swarming you.

Most vehicles that you find, if they have 0's instead of X's for wheels, are drivable but just have empty tanks. Smash any refridgerator to get a rubber hose, find a container in a house, and siphon gas from other non-working vehicles and you're good to go.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

While I'm great at using terrain to kill zombies, they get hard once they start swarming, or when certain special zombies arrive. Also someone on this thread previously made a good point about training dodging so that you can dodge all the zombies just in case poo poo gets too hot.

Also are pipes or nail boards better at killing zombies? Nail boards have better overall damage but they have a +1 to hit, whereas pipes have a +3.

Never knew about the siphoning trick, will do that next time, thanks!

I have never seen dead soldiers outside town, guess this time I'll look out for them.

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 19, 2013

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How do you empty liquid containers without using the contents?

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

How do you empty liquid containers without using the contents?

'w'ield the item, 'U'nload.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

There should be reinforced glass or something. Even when you install hard plating over a windshield, it doesn't seem like it provides any meaningful protection from zombies breaking through.

I want to make a zombieproof car, but I'd also like to be able to see out of it, you know?

Yeah plating doesn't actually do anything to protect windshields. They've got the 'not affected by armor' tag.

What you can do though is find an artifact that lets you see through walls and then you won't need windshields! Alternatively you could replace your windshields with doors (not the opaque ones), I think plating will protect those and you can see through them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, you can't install anything over doors.

I've been loving around a bit with the weapon code. The Fusion Blaster bionic is way more cool and fun to use when it causes explosions that can blow down walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

That's not something that should happen. Try moving onto the pile and [g]etting the items instead. If it doesn't work, you probably have a bug and they didn't spawn properly.

Definitely bugged. I always get scrap metal and pipes, but not hoses. The game treats the fridge the same as a "pile of rubble" such as if a building burns down or there's military wreckage.