Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Are you using 0.5 or the nightly build? Refrigerators only drop hoses in the nightly build, not in 0.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

whiteshark12 posted:

Are you using 0.5 or the nightly build? Refrigerators only drop hoses in the nightly build, not in 0.5

Oh. Oh. Ohhhh.

Yep, that's it. I'm a :downs:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah plating doesn't actually do anything to protect windshields. They've got the 'not affected by armor' tag.

What you can do though is find an artifact that lets you see through walls and then you won't need windshields! Alternatively you could replace your windshields with doors (not the opaque ones), I think plating will protect those and you can see through them.
Weak.

"Find an artifact that lets you see through walls" is tempting, but not exactly something I can aim for. And doors, yeah, not a great solution either. Oh well.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Weak.

"Find an artifact that lets you see through walls" is tempting, but not exactly something I can aim for. And doors, yeah, not a great solution either. Oh well.

Alternatively, build a massive armor plated brick with twin engines and navigate using the minimap only. You don't need to see if you can drive through anything.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Mega-ambitious code project: implement helicopters.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think that's technically possible until overground z-levels are implemented.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I found it! What prize do I win?

Also, is a gognard someone who insists on only playing games in DosBox?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Haha. Hadn't seen that flavour text on GDA, I thought Jon93 simply removed it.

On the topic of z-levels I do hope they get towers and such working eventually, and some sort of persistence between the levels so zombies would follow you up, or at least wait.
I'm not sure about the current state of basements but I know in Wales Cataclysm they were horribly broken and buggy so I've avoided them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Strumpie posted:

On the topic of z-levels I do hope they get towers and such working eventually, and some sort of persistence between the levels so zombies would follow you up, or at least wait.
I'm not sure about the current state of basements but I know in Wales Cataclysm they were horribly broken and buggy so I've avoided them.
Right now they work perfectly fine and zombies already follow you up and down stairs. It's a bit wonky in that they even follow you even if they shouldn't have been physically able to reach the stairs, but it does work.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Capilarean posted:

Alternatively, build a massive armor plated brick with twin engines and navigate using the minimap only. You don't need to see if you can drive through anything.
That is the opposite of what I said I wanted to do. :mad:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
GDA 3.0 crashed while I was taking my semi truck on a tour of the city center. I skidded through a park, into a bunch of derelict cars, and then into the front of a furniture shop. Maybe something effed up with all the physics calculations?

edit: crashed again while I was doing the same thing again. I didn't run into anything this time around, though.

edit2: GDA crashed again, this time in a different game. A horde of zombies attacked, so I emptied out a few goo canisters to let them do the heavy lifting. Then it crashed.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, most artifacts are just crap. I'm savescumming the one temple I've been able to open, and I wouldn't even consider using the majority of what spawns.

For example: The Helm of Bloody Evil. A three-percent coverage helmet that gives, at the very least, -3 strength and dexterity, and afflicts me with radiation. I guess there's a chance that it could put out fires or sap life or something, but seriously, I would have to be insane to use it.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 20, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Strudel Man posted:

Man, most artifacts are just crap. I'm savescumming the one temple I've been able to open, and I wouldn't even consider using the majority of what spawns.

For example: The Helm of Bloody Evil. A three-percent coverage helmet that gives, at the very least, -3 strength and dexterity, and afflicts me with radiation. I guess there's a chance that it could put out fires or sap life or something, but seriously, I would have to be insane to use it.

I farmed one of those amigara horror mines once, out of what felt like a hundred artifacts, I only found one that was even a little bit useful. Just a cube that let me see through walls when I held it, but at the cost of -3 dex. All artifacts suck

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

And Whales spent over a month towards the end of his involvement with Cataclysm implementing them, instead of unfucking anything else about the game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Anticheese posted:

And Whales spent over a month towards the end of his involvement with Cataclysm implementing them, instead of unfucking anything else about the game.
Well, the idea of them is pretty neat. Just, they need to be tilted a little more towards "desirable, at all, ever."

edit: Doing serious work on a car can do crazy things to your skills. All that time repairing dents, moving stuff around, installing plating...I now have 41 mechanics skill, with the next highest being 13.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 20, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kayle7 posted:

I farmed one of those amigara horror mines once, out of what felt like a hundred artifacts, I only found one that was even a little bit useful. Just a cube that let me see through walls when I held it, but at the cost of -3 dex. All artifacts suck

I got an awesome one that shot fireballs on the first strange temple I ever visited. Unfortunately, the OTHER artifact was a complete POS that spawned a seemingly infinite number of demonic creatures. Naturally, I set them all on fire, but the resulting firestorm boiled me alive (despite being in fully-powered power armor with the thermal dissipation CBM activated...fun glitch)

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Thermal Dissipation stops you from catching fire but not from dying from heatstroke. A bug or a feature I have no idea.

The One Ring I found awhile ago is making looting towns a breeze though. Just need to be careful about overusing it.

From my limited knowledge of artifacts, ones generated by anomalies (Think Stalker) always have one good and one bad effect. For all artifacts, the better the positive, the worse the negative; it's not completely random.

Galm fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 20, 2013

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Well, I've been reading this thread for a while now, and it was one of the first games I got when my new computer arrived. I had a lot of stupid, stupid deaths, but I finally had a moment of GLORIOUS TO THE DEATH COMBAT. :black101:

So, I found myself a working motorcycle in a parking lot, and got it filled with gas. I'm driving south down this really long road and pass by a gas station. I was overjoyed, because of the food and gas, but then I looked behind the counter. A Sawn-Off Shotgun, and 25 .00 Rounds. Needless to say, I was stoked. I cram The Chopper's full of food, water and gas, and drive off, sawn-off in hand.

I make it to a river, and got halfway across before I notice a hoard of Giant Mosquitoes. I try to avoid them, but a few ram into me, so I fire my shotgun. I'm not sure if it was the recoil or them hitting me, but the next thing I know I've careened off the side of the bridge and into the river. I manage to make it to shore before drowning, but the hoard was right behind me. What followed was me using every single round on those buggers, and having to resort to my lead pipe before one finally strikes me, hopped up on all my painkillers, down.

I love this game so much.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Galm posted:

Thermal Dissipation stops you from catching fire but not from dying from heatstroke. A bug or a feature I have no idea.

The One Ring I found awhile ago is making looting towns a breeze though. Just need to be careful about overusing it.

From my limited knowledge of artifacts, ones generated by anomalies (Think Stalker) always have one good and one bad effect. For all artifacts, the better the positive, the worse the negative; it's not completely random.

Powered armor is also supposed to regulate internal temperature, and just to put the icing on the cherry, I even had internal climate control on. Didn't help, known bug.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

All this talk of Artifacts suddenly makes me want a STALKER Roguelike. :smith:

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

My in-game map keeps getting reset after I close the game. The world map stays persistent, but I did a pretty big deal of exploring on multiple characters, taking down notes, etc. When I closed the game and reopened, the fog of war had been reset to as if I had just started a new character on a new world. I thought it was just preventing me from mapping the world with tons of different suicide rush builds, but it's wiped the map even on my one main character. Is this intentional?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Bilal posted:

My in-game map keeps getting reset after I close the game. The world map stays persistent, but I did a pretty big deal of exploring on multiple characters, taking down notes, etc. When I closed the game and reopened, the fog of war had been reset to as if I had just started a new character on a new world. I thought it was just preventing me from mapping the world with tons of different suicide rush builds, but it's wiped the map even on my one main character. Is this intentional?

The map shouldn't get wiped if you're playing the same character, only a new one. Are you saving (shift+S)? If so, maybe try deleting and re-downloading it and see if that helps.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I really like the new archery stuff in the nightly release. Starting out archery is much harder to use, but it actually stays useful against armored enemies at higher skill levels.

Also I love having tons of arrow types, I feel like the Green Arrow with exploding arrows.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The kickstarter launches Saturday. I'll probably kick in even though I haven't spent too much time with this, it has a lot of potential if it gets a decent tileset and such.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Once I got a knife that sucked as a weapon becuase of some dumb penalties, but you could just carry it around as a cutting tool and invoke it to restore some health (then get it drained a tiny bit in a few steps) while simultaneously blasting down walls and whatever in a radius around you.

It was a pretty amazing artifact, and it was literally like my first? Second?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
How do fungaloid spires and triffid groves work in static? I recall that in dynamic they used to alter the spawn tables in their area, but that's obviously not gonna be the case now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

First artifact I ever found was a harp that gave me super clairvoyance just by carrying it around. No downsides that I ever noticed. It was great.

Capilarean posted:

How do fungaloid spires and triffid groves work in static? I recall that in dynamic they used to alter the spawn tables in their area, but that's obviously not gonna be the case now.
Everything except for zombies still spawns dynamically, so they pretty much work like they always did. I'm hoping that gets changed eventually, because driving through a swamp and suddenly getting buried in mosquitoes that appeared out of thin air is kinda dumb.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

gently caress fungi, and gently caress mosquitos.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Also fungaloids multiply so fast they may as well be dynamic spawn. I can clear out a group of them and have them return to full strength in minutes so I never bother and just stay away from anywhere that has a Fungal Tower nearby

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Seeing a fungal bloom on the map when starting a new game is basically my cue to re-roll the world.

gently caress fungaloids.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just discovered you can smash bodies into a pulp. I mean literally use the (s)mash command on a body and it will eventually turn into a "pulped whatever corpse" at which point you can no longer smash it. It's why you sometimes see a "bruised zombie corpse" and such now.

Does anyone happen to know if this prevents reanimation? Because stomping zombies into a chunky paste would be a nice alternative. It's faster turn wise than hacking them apart, and less effort than piling them up and burning them.

Oh, and gently caress fungaloids. If there's one anywhere near a town you may as well give it up, because they own that mother fucker.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

Seeing a fungal bloom on the map when starting a new game is basically my cue to re-roll the world.

Started out, checked map, there's a public works nearby and a gas station a bit further away. Got to the public works, found a plastic jerrycan and some tools I (everything but a jack, I believe), grabbed a crowbar and the jerrycan, put on boots, jumpsuit and a hardhat and went off of to the gas station. It has 8 pumps, right outside there's two abandoned electric cars in full working order and there's also a bunch of dead scientists on the side with a couple of id cards and some purifier. I walk into the station to check the loot in there and, as I walk out, safe mode stops, as there's fungaloid right across the road.

I saved, quit and backed up the save for later. Not on the first day of a no-archery run.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Anticheese posted:

Well, at least the spire is easy to destroy. I don't think I ever managed to survive the triffid grove.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Do wolves and coyotes start coming after you when you're injured? I feel like they only come around a lot when I'm near death.

e: Also apparently cars double as comfortable places to sleep. Thats pretty awesome.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 20, 2013

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I've been playing this game a good bit over these last few days and I have to say that for me the most difficult thing is keeping my character fed. I cram so much food down his throat and yet he is perpetually at some level of huger. Finding water or something to drink is easy but man the food thing seems way too punishing. Any tips on keeping my guy satiated?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So, what's the best thing to play right now? Goon, or the nightly build with all the crazy arrows? Being a green arrow in the apocalypse sounds kinda fun.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

So, what's the best thing to play right now? Goon, or the nightly build with all the crazy arrows? Being a green arrow in the apocalypse sounds kinda fun.

Actually right now wait a day or two for the nightly, some of the new arrows seem bugged. It seems like they are just typos, fire arrows aren't craftable because they are called arrow_flammable, but the recipe is for arrow_fire. And even then I can't find a way to light them.

Speaking of bugs has anyone else found small areas that are empty? I mean totally black and called "nothing" when I examine them.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Giggle Goose posted:

I've been playing this game a good bit over these last few days and I have to say that for me the most difficult thing is keeping my character fed. I cram so much food down his throat and yet he is perpetually at some level of huger. Finding water or something to drink is easy but man the food thing seems way too punishing. Any tips on keeping my guy satiated?

Furry critters (rabbits, deer, cats, et al) and spiders are good sources of meat. Just wander around outside of town and you should run into some. Squirrels are kind of hard to hunt because their fragile little bodies get turned into a red smear by just about everything.

Try and eat nothing but the food that will spoil quickly for the first couple of days like paper wrapped sandwiches and pizza, and save the stuff with a decent shelf life such as canned goods and MRE's for later.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Speaking of bugs has anyone else found small areas that are empty? I mean totally black and called "nothing" when I examine them.

Those pop up occasionally, and have been a thing for a long time. I think it's a glitch in the world gen.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Can people post their recommended starting builds? I'm having a hard time getting through even the first night with ample supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

geeko55 posted:

Can people post their recommended starting builds? I'm having a hard time getting through even the first night with ample supplies.

I've had a lot of luck with:

10 Str, 8 Dex, 10 Int, 10 Per

Fleet-Footed
Packmule
Fast Learner
Animal Empathy
Robust Genetics
Near-Sighted
Heavy Sleeper
Glass Jaw
Forgetful
Truth Teller

with Chain-Smoker for an additional point.

Forgetful might be seen as an exploit in my setup, as I turn off skill degradation because it's broken like NPCs are broken--technically works but detracts from the game because it isn't balanced or fleshed out enough. Then again, a lot of people use Truth Teller and it also has absolutely no effect when NPCs are off.