Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My book showed up today dino., cute shirt in your author portrait :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

Lift? That's what the husband is for.

I even found an image with ~~Marilyn Monroe~~ in it to sway you :(

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

(Seriously girl, weightlifting is what keeps me from basically becoming a cripple. It really works wonders. Get coached and lift a weight when you're better.)

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Hawkgirl posted:

Hello friends. Where do I eat delicious food on Maui and Oahu? I have never ever been to Hawaii and Hawkboy and I are going for our honeymoon. :3:

Am I too late for this?

Alan Wong's - A pretty reasonably priced "fine dining" restaurant. Locals are generally underdressed, so any shirt with a collar and any long pants and shoes are fine. They're pretty relaxed about dress code anyway; I don't think they'll turn you away even if you show up in a t-shirt. Prices are comparable to Mariposa, which Japanese tourists love to go to, but Mariposa loving sucks in comparison. I don't think Mariposa is even close to worth the price; both the food and service at Alan Wong's are much better. I don't like ginger or cooked fish in general, but even I think the ginger crusted onaga at Alan Wong's is fantastic. I'd say either go for the tasting menu or pick some different dishes to split so you can try more than one entree. If you like chocolate try the crunch bars or the chocolate sampler for dessert. I think reservations are required; can be done online.

Kona Kai Sushi - There's also Sasabune, Yanagi, and Morio's, but I've only been to Kona Kai. A guy from Maine that I work with hates Sasabune and likes Yanagi. The head chef/owner (James) at Kona Kai was trained at Sasabune and one of the other chefs there used to work at Yanagi. For what it's worth, one of my Japanese friends is the daughter of a sushi chef and she gave Kona Kai her stamp of approval. Reservations recommended since they can get crowded, but they do take walk ins.

Poke - a dish, not a place. I really like spicy ahi poke, so if you go to Kona Kai you can see if they will make you spicy ahi poke; I don't think it's on the menu. Don Quijote used to have really good spicy ahi poke, but the last couple times I got some it's gone downhill. Foodland also has good poke, but the supermarkets are generally using the less good cuts of fish for poke. The spicy ahi poke donburi at Sushi Co is decent (also available with tempura); Nijiya also has a decent spicy ahi poke donburi. Both Don Quijote and Nijiya also have pretty decent cheapass take out ready made sushi.

Kohnotori - Little yakitori place. Kinda pricey, but I love the food. Next door to Imanas Tei, but I think Kohnotori is the better place to eat. Up the street is Sushi King which serves Japanese food which is closer to Japanese style than local style - there's nothing wrong with the food at Sushi King, but nothing really remarkable about it either.

Yakitori Glad - Everything here is (IIRC) $3.95, no matter what you order. Food has some overlap with Kohnotori. Overall I think it costs less than Kohnotori, but I'd give Kohnotori's food a slight edge. Service at Yakitori Glad strikes me as more attentive compared to Kohnotori - I think it might be a cultural difference as the service at Kohnotori is more like the service I've experienced in Japan, where the service at Yakitori Glad is more what Americans expect. Alan Wong also owns The Pineapple Room located inside Macy's at Ala Moana Shopping Center.

Matsugen - Soba made in house. Only been there once, but I thought it was really good.

Restaurant Saito - Hole in the wall far far away from Waikiki, but with great Japanese food.

Ramen Nakamura - Japanese style ramen. I think Goma Tei also has good ramen, but Nakamura seems a bit more Japanese style to me.

Ono Hawaiian Food - Local food. Poi, laulau, pipikaula, lomilomi salmon, haupia. I'm sure this place is touristy in that tourists get told to go here and try it out, but they're not trying to cater to tourists' palates with the food. Honestly, if you're not at least somewhat adventurous an eater or not curious about trying Hawaiian food then it's probably not worth a visit.

Teddy's Bigger Burger - IME the Hawaii Kai one is generally the best, and the Waikiki one the shittiest. I dunno if you want to eat a hamburger while in Hawaii, but I like their burgers. Kua'aina might be more famous for tourists but I thought the hamburger was a bit boring - the one I had tasted just like ground beef and not much else, and the fries are sad and greasy. Went once and never went back; if I feel like eating a burger I go to Teddy's instead.

Fukuya - Okazuya right next door to Sushi King. Good food for taking out to a beach park or something like that.

Maui, I have not a clue. The food I had on Maui was generally lovely. I think the only decent place I remember eating was Kobe Steakhouse and I think pupus at the bar of Outback steakhouse or something. Neither were special, but were at least decent.

That was pretty long and rambling, sorry.

Edit: Added a few pics.

Scott808 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 19, 2013

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

No, that was amazing, thanks! We're not leaving until July 1st, but I would rather daydream about honeymoon things than finish the last-minute details of our wedding.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Oh, one quick thing I forgot. If you decide to try Alan Wong's tell them you're on your honeymoon when you make the reservations or when they call you back to confirm. I think you'll get a little keepsake; it's just a menu signed by the staff, but I think it's a nice thing to do. I think for birthdays you get a dessert; not sure if they do anything else for a honeymoon.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I asked in the singapore thread, but anyone know anything about eating in singapore?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

From what I gather, basically all the time everywhere.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
My dad started living in Singapore for work since February. The way he tells it, food courts are easy and super cheap, but since all the stalls specialize in one dish, it's pretty much masterwork food wherever you go. Of course there's always fine dining, where "western" restaurants (steaks, italian, etc. are generally more expensive than "eastern" restaurants (japanese, malaysian, etc.). If you want particular recommendations, tell me what budget you're on and I'll ask him for some.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sjurygg posted:

(Seriously girl, weightlifting is what keeps me from basically becoming a cripple. It really works wonders. Get coached and lift a weight when you're better.)

Dino is a dude, yo.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
But he's gay as the day is long, so I think it's ok to call him 'girl' but it ought to be proceeded by "HAYYYYYYYYY."

GBS WATCH

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555373

:what:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I asked in the singapore thread, but anyone know anything about eating in singapore?

Nasi Lemak from Adam Road Food Court
Mutton Soup at Adam Road Food Court
Char Kway Tiow
Buffalo Wings from Jerrys BBQ
Burg and beer at Brewerks
Ice Kachang
Roti John
Prata
No Signboard restaurant's Chili Crab at East Coast Park
Ba Kut Teh at Balestier Road
Ayam Penyet
Satay
Laksa

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 19, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

There was a great article in one of the New Yorker food issues a few years ago about Singaporean street food. Here is an abstract. It mentions a possibly useful guide
http://m.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/03/070903fa_fact_trillin

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
At the surgery.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Good luck Mrs. Wiggles!!!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Made it through. Initial results - it's not a tumor.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Here's hoping for a benign growth, or an improbable baby*

*I hope it's a tamale

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vegetable Melange posted:

Here's hoping for a benign growth, or an improbable baby*

*I hope it's a tamale

Tamale babies are one of the few kinds of babies it's okay to flush down a toilet. :catholic::science:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wahad posted:

My dad started living in Singapore for work since February. The way he tells it, food courts are easy and super cheap, but since all the stalls specialize in one dish, it's pretty much masterwork food wherever you go. Of course there's always fine dining, where "western" restaurants (steaks, italian, etc. are generally more expensive than "eastern" restaurants (japanese, malaysian, etc.). If you want particular recommendations, tell me what budget you're on and I'll ask him for some.

I think I'll be ok with stalls, I get the impression you generally just can't go wrong at a hawker center. I'm I guess more interested in interesting/innovative mid range options that might be hard to find out about via the internet (.5-1 michelin star type), any maybe in high end places doing anything extraordinarily interesting that I wouldn't find anywhere else in the world. I can eat some dumb french food or sushi anywhere, mostly looking for uniquely singaporean takes on food.

Thanks, all duly noted. Will look them all up. Thanks rattle also!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Celebrating my first kitchen injury that's not a cut or a burn: a damaged rotator cuff from trying to catch a falling half gallon can of preserved peaches.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Dane posted:

Celebrating my first kitchen injury that's not a cut or a burn: a damaged rotator cuff from trying to catch a falling half gallon can of preserved peaches.

Whatever you do, don't ever cook bacon naked on the stove top. :supaburn:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Doh004 posted:

Cooking naked is totally fine, the problem is that you didn't cook your bacon in the oven.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Just realized how DOPE Google Glass will be for making ICSA entries and posting recipes in general. Am finally excited for this stupid product.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Doh004 posted:

I have a nice greaseburn scar on my abdomen from cooking lamb over an open fire, I try to stay clothed while cooking now. Didn't stop the can from assaulting me, though!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cooking naked is totally fine, the problem is that you didn't cook your bacon in the oven.

Oven's great for making bacon when you have time, but otherwise it takes way too long to heat the oven up and then cook the bacon.

Dane posted:

I have a nice greaseburn scar on my abdomen from cooking lamb over an open fire, I try to stay clothed while cooking now. Didn't stop the can from assaulting me, though!

drat cans!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doh004 posted:

Oven's great for making bacon when you have time, but otherwise it takes way too long to heat the oven up and then cook the bacon.

You put the bacon in the cold oven, that helps it cook flat instead of curling up and poo poo.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You put the bacon in the cold oven, that helps it cook flat instead of curling up and poo poo.

Cold-oven bacon is the best thing since bacon.
e: :goonsay:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

squish between two trayz... true gourmet bacon

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Haha yes, but you still need the oven to heat up to cook it (even if it's in the oven).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Haha yes, but you still need the oven to heat up to cook it (even if it's in the oven).

Yes, that seems awfully wasteful of energy.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Doh004 posted:

I've broiled bacon in my toaster oven. It's pretty fast that way. You could put the bacon on a rack to let the grease drip off into a pan while it's in there, too.

Then, now that the toaster oven is already heated anyway, you make potato skins with some leftover cooked potatoes.

e: This is something I did once on a New Year's Eve party when the stove is otherwise tied up. I haven't looked back since.

Marta Velasquez fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 20, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

contrapants posted:

I've broiled bacon in my toaster oven. It's pretty fast that way. You could put the bacon on a rack to let the grease drip off into a pan while it's in there, too.

Then, now that the toaster oven is already heated anyway, you make potato skins with some leftover cooked potatoes.

e: This is something I did once on a New Year's Eve party when the stove is otherwise tied up. I haven't looked back since.

Wish I had a toaster oven :smith:

Again, I love baking bacon instead of pan frying it as it does make a good bacon. When I was nude making bacon, time was of the essence.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Bacon in a pan with just enough water to cover cook on superior until water is gone turn down to brown.

Just try it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Bacon in a pan with just enough water to cover cook on superior until water is gone turn down to brown.

Just try it.

You're boiling it and then frying it? That seems...unconventional.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Drifter posted:

You're boiling it and then frying it? That seems...unconventional.

You're wet-rendering the fat and then frying it to crisp it. What's weird about that?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're wet-rendering the fat and then frying it to crisp it. What's weird about that?

Because of the meat, I guess. I've wet rendered fat and made cracklins before, I just thought the meat itself would get weird switching between the two modes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Just realized how DOPE Google Glass will be for making ICSA entries and posting recipes in general. Am finally excited for this stupid product.

just get an HD GOPRO son

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

just get an HD GOPRO son
The idea of doing prep with the glasses on, winking to take pictures during the process (or even taking video), automatically uploading it to a repo, and then being able to link to that from a forum post is just too alluring for me. I cannot stomach wasting any more time or money on this solution when the one true solution is but a year's wait away!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

contrapants posted:

Bacon'll cooking a lot faster in its own grease than in air though. My toaster oven came with a wee tray for...well, gently caress, I don't know what it's supposed to be for. All I ever use it for is bacon, and just about everything else I just wrap in foil or throw straight on the rack. Anyway, the tray's shaped like a tiny little cookie sheet or something, with a lip all the way around. I line it with foil and throw the bacon in there. The pan's just a shade longer than most commercially packed bacon (which in turn is slightly longer than most of the crunchy hippie bacon I usually consume). Once the bacon starts rendering fat the bottom of the pan will fill with it, and that'll help the bacon cook more quickly and evenly. You can throw a couple Tbsp of manteca or something in there when you start out to speed this along. Same thing works in a skillet, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
<1 lb - skillet
>= 1 lb - oven