Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madz
May 3, 2012

Call Now posted:

You're okay, Oren.
Also Souda's plan is awful and creepy, and it's probably going to end in murder. :geno:

A beach episode that ends in murder. Now THAT'S a special episode.

I wonder if japanese people that play this game are in the age gap to get references Sonia and other characters make about...everything.

I mean, shows that ran from the mid-seventies to the mid-eighties are still recognizable by the overall japanese populace or is the writter just going "I bet SOMEONE will get this and they'll feel great."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeez, a filler episode already? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure whether I'm madder at Souda right now for being really, really creepy or for being really, really anime.

e: Also, are the shows Sonia's namedropping obscure or just really old? Like, Hinata isn't being all like the equivalent of "M*A*S*H? What the gently caress is M*A*S*H?" or anything, right? One of them lasted for fourteen years, so it couldn't have been TOO obscure.

e2: Also, yeah, this series does have a history of apparently setting up for anime cliches and then subverting the gently caress out of them (referring mostly to Maizono being the first one to die) so I think it's safe to assume that the Beach Filler Episode will never really get off the ground due to someone being horribly murdered somewhere along the way.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 19, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Judging from her tastes, I wouldn't be that surprised if Sonia had seen Meitantei no Okite at some point. Though thinking about it it's perhaps too recent for the game to reference or perhaps even, ironically, Sonia to know anything about. Shame too, since that'd be an interesting way to bring the Liar Game reference from Celes' events in the previous game full circle since Shota Matsuda's the male lead in both.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love Souda, here I was thinking that our favorite psycho escaped or something equally bad but nope.

Just wants to be a idiot.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm expecting this beach fiasco to end in murder, hopefully before anything too creepy happens.

I am seriously hoping someone dies rather than fanservice happening.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I'm expecting this beach fiasco to end in murder, hopefully before anything too creepy happens.

I'm expecting the diner to already be a bloody mess when we get there.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Ha, Souda's hilarious. You go shark man.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
So is the gimmick of the game going to be that somebody dies every time there is a party?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Green Intern posted:

What about both?

...Maybe even at the same time?

King Christmas
Oct 17, 2012

I fell out of a plane crash because you need to stop.
I don't usually mind the fanservice too much but I really hope they don't use it as evidence this time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Nah, it's pretty definitely gonna be fanservice. Oren mentioned earlier how there's one fanservice scene in DR2 that's pretty shameful, but everything else is good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Requested_Username posted:

Nah, it's pretty definitely gonna be fanservice. Oren mentioned earlier how there's one fanservice scene in DR2 that's pretty shameful, but everything else is good.

I think that was back during DR1 that he said that.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I believe I was talking about those two Mikan CGs in chapter 1. They do serve a purpose, and are self-aware tongue-in-cheek, but still.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

I don't know, Mikan's little "accidents" seem pretty shameful even though they were covered up.

^edit: beaten by oren

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What about both?

Somehow if Mikan is the one that dies, that is how she'd probably go out. Died of embarrassment

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

orenronen posted:

What’s he up to... asking me to meet him at the supermarket out of nowhere?

And he even told me to keep it a secret...

Is it possible... that he's planning to...

No, he wouldn’t... not him. Of all the people here... he just wouldn’t. He's way too easygoing.

I find myself liking Hinata more with every update. I love Naegi, too, but I really like that Hinata actually considers whether Souda might be planning to murder him, whereas the thought would never have crossed Naegi's mind.

Hinata's generally a great protagonist for this game. He feels like a very normal, real person, which I think is important in a setting full of Gundams and Komaedas and Tsumikis; he helps to keep the whole game grounded. It's a lot easier to cope with all the ridiculously over-the-top characters in this cast when Hinata's around to cut through their absurdity with his sarcasm.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

orenronen posted:

That's a very groovy article you have there, Hinata-san.

orenronen posted:

After spending some more time not understanding what Sonia was saying, I returned to my room.

I'm starting to like Sonia a lot more. :allears:

orenronen posted:

Spain-zaka is something Hinata probably does know about, at least if he's from the Tokyo area. It's a short slope near Shibuya station famous for its trendy shops and restaurants. It was there back in 1988 and it's still a popular teen spot today.

Spain-zaka is what "Spain Hill" from The World Ends With You is based on, right?

And it's nice of Souda to include us in the perversion beach-going. Maybe he's just as terrible as that chef not such a bad guy after all.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What about both?

I can't see anyone finding fanservice in death.

Except Enoshima, of course.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

orenronen posted:

Are you certain? I thought it was just like Makango in my own country.
Huh? Maka... what?

I...It is a custom in my country...
Until a pair of lovers show each other the Makango they raised, they cannot be united together...
I...It is a little embarrassing so please don't ask me to elaborate.
Embarrassing? I don't even know what a Makango is!

It's like a long-haired funyarinpa!

I do like that apparently, as a princess, she spent huge amounts of time watching (and rewatching) 80s Japanese police procedural dramas.
Now I want to watch one, just to see what they're like...

They probably aren't available in English. :sigh:

Oh, right, the murder mystery...
Well, beach trip has a 50-50 chance of being doomed. Perhaps while they're there, someone will go and play that game?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
That's surprisingly tame for japan. It sounds exactly what a guy their age would probably do. He didn't even come up with something creepy like spying on them or anything. I wouldn't really call it very anime, it's a time honoured tradition for boys to go to the beach to see girls.

Also he could be lying to draw Hinata to a place where he can murder him in a way that looks natural I.e. drowning. Hinata still hasn't told anyone about any of this so people would have no idea he was with him. Plus the beach is remote enough for the body to take quite awhile to find, which gives him plenty of time to produce an alibi that could hold out if it takes awhile for the body to be found, and possibly frame it on someone else. And swimming trunks would make it hard for Hinata to conceal a weapon...but all he has to do is stash one there beforehand and then get Hinata while his back is turned...uh maybe this isn't such a good idea Hinata.

And if there's going to be a beach party then why haven't we seen any sign of it? They had to have met up at least once, as well as all stock up on supplies, and it seems like this would be suspicious enough for someone to notice. And conveniently it's a story that's impossible for Hinata to verify. The other boys wouldn't know about it and Hinata can't go confirm it with one of the girls because they'd be pissed at him.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 19, 2013

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

If there is a murder in the next update - and seeing as everyone has been lulled into a false sense of security again, it would be the perfect time - the fact the party was girl's only is probably gonna be the key factor in the case. So i'm guessing the victim and the killer, or at least the red herring/first suspect, will both be female.

As for Sonia, I can't help but imagine if this game got localized she would be obsessed with old sitcoms instead. For those of you that watch Retsupurae, imagine a female BillyMC.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The_White_Crane posted:

It's like a long-haired funyarinpa!

I do like that apparently, as a princess, she spent huge amounts of time watching (and rewatching) 80s Japanese police procedural dramas.
Now I want to watch one, just to see what they're like...

They probably aren't available in English. :sigh:

Oh, right, the murder mystery...
Well, beach trip has a 50-50 chance of being doomed. Perhaps while they're there, someone will go and play that game?

Well she does bring up a very valid point: popular culture is basically a mirror of what a nation is experiencing in economics, politics, etc. It's actually a pretty great way to emphasize her authoritative position.

E: of course, this all falls apart when you realize that she hasn't been seen talking about any current forms of media. But it's still the thought that counts, right?

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I actually feel like the subjects of Sonia's obsessions are believable, given that you never know what exported shows would be popular somewhere else. It even makes sense that since Japan isn't exporting every drat show they make to other countries, something random like a couple of cop-dramas would be popular in Europeland decades after they were canceled.

Hell, Dragonball/Z and Sailor Moon got huge in the U.S. nearly *ten years* after their creation, and the original Power Rangers used year old + footage for the first seasons. I can't remember where I read this, but the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon (yes, there was one) was *really* popular in South America well after its run in the earliest of the eighties.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

How does Hinata not know what the Bubble Period was? Japan still hasn't recovered from that crash properly, or at least, its affects are still felt.

Anyways, I liked Sonia's events much more than I thought I would. I was afraid we'd see more of her weird obsession with serial killers, but I guess there's no way we'd see that so soon, given that's more of a main plot device a free-time event wouldn't spoil.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zeron posted:

And if there's going to be a beach party then why haven't we seen any sign of it?

Actually, we kind of have. Or rather, we've heard about it before...

orenronen posted:

'Morning, Tsumiki.
Uyu... Good morning...
We're having good weather today... I'm so glad the sky's clear...!
I mean, if it was cloudy today, our plans...
Huh? Plans?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

orenronen posted:

(Mods: prepare your probating fingers)

Well now you've got me all excited. :syoon:

It is kind of weird Hinata doesn't know about the bubble years; I wonder how topical the history/social studies books in Japan are.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Zeron posted:

That's surprisingly tame for japan. It sounds exactly what a guy their age would probably do. He didn't even come up with something creepy like spying on them or anything. I wouldn't really call it very anime, it's a time honoured tradition for boys to go to the beach to see girls.

Yeah, I think people are seriously overreacting to this plan. It's not like he's suggesting spying on them changing or anything, he's just suggesting 'accidentally' running into them at the beach and hanging out with them. Didn't anyone in this thread, back when they were in high school, go somewhere or do something just because they knew a girl they liked was going to be there?

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

LordNagash posted:

Yeah, I think people are seriously overreacting to this plan. It's not like he's suggesting spying on them changing or anything, he's just suggesting 'accidentally' running into them at the beach and hanging out with them. Didn't anyone in this thread, back when they were in high school, go somewhere or do something just because they knew a girl they liked was going to be there?

No, never, that would be creepy. You're creepy.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LordNagash posted:

While I don't see any huge overraction yet, goons are always going to be outraged over things like this and the word "creepy" will be liberally thrown around in every direction. It's a time-honed tradition at this point.

Also that free time event was kind of boring but I suppose that'll happen every now and then. It's pretty much impossible to tell which one's going to be interesting beforehand, which is a shame.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yep, Souda really didn't seem like the type to be capable of an evil scheme. Good to know that he was just planning to watch standard anime beach scene fanservice. I also loved that Hinata was still suspicious about the whole thing.

Now that Souda mentions it, Hinata really is the only halfway normal guy for him to hang out with, isn't he? I just hope this doesn't end up like the last DR bromance.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bifauxnen posted:

Yep, Souda really didn't seem like the type to be capable of an evil scheme. Good to know that he was just planning to watch standard anime beach scene fanservice. I also loved that Hinata was still suspicious about the whole thing.

Now that Souda mentions it, Hinata really is the only halfway normal guy for him to hang out with, isn't he? I just hope this doesn't end up like the last DR bromance.

Hinata going insane would make the latter half of the game quite interesting.

Souda shouldn't be that down on not having many guys to talk to or that seem normal, though. That means that aside from Nidai because of his body, Hinata's the only competition he has for girls in the first place!

They'll all flock to Gundam for his hamsters.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
A lot of foreign language learners are in the same boat as Sonia, I think. I know when I was in school learning Japanese, a bunch of our lessons included references to "classic" pop culture that I liked to track down and watch/listen to, but when I went to Japan during college almost no one my age knew what I was talking about. It's probably fair to say Sonia is a little more obsessed than most, but I wouldn't say Hinata is especially dense.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

MadRhetoric posted:

It is kind of weird Hinata doesn't know about the bubble years; I wonder how topical the history/social studies books in Japan are.

Well, Hinata did just start high school, so it's possible his middle school/etc classes didn't have time to cover recent history, etc.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MadRhetoric posted:

I'm sure it'll all be captivatingly Shemp or whatever.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Kay Kessler posted:

If there is a murder in the next update - and seeing as everyone has been lulled into a false sense of security again, it would be the perfect time - the fact the party was girl's only is probably gonna be the key factor in the case. So i'm guessing the victim and the killer, or at least the red herring/first suspect, will both be female.

As for Sonia, I can't help but imagine if this game got localized she would be obsessed with old sitcoms instead. For those of you that watch Retsupurae, imagine a female BillyMC.

I don't think that you even need to stray that far. She could be a Starsky and Hutch fan and have the same effect.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Once again I'm an idiot for not saving the soulja boy anime song for a special occasion.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

King Christmas posted:

I don't usually mind the fanservice too much but I really hope they don't use it as evidence this time.

I think the only reason they made fanservice evidence in the first case is SOLELY because the culprit was Hanamura. The most backwards rear end foreshadowing ever.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Of course after this buildup Souda just wants a wingman. :allears:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Green Intern posted:

Honestly, at this point it would only be surprising if there's beach party and it's just an ordinary disaster. Someone loses their beach umbrella to the wind, someone else shreds their leg open with a jagged piece of rock (okay, Mikan had fun with that, but nobody else), there's a hive of ants that eat the food, due to the combination of a hot-springs and an interesting current carrying water straight from the arctic the water is simultaneously too hot and too cold for comfort, the beach-ball catches a flat, there's a sudden out-of-nowhere rainstorm and everybody catches pneumonia.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh god, Souda. For once I find myself hoping for a murder, just to interrupt the inevitable Souda perv-out.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
On the bright side, if it's a murder, at least no one can accuse Hinata of it.

Actually, you know what would be interesting? If Hinata and co. discover a body at the beach. (and if Sonia was luring them to the beach to frame them somehow.) Boom, no perv for you, Souda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonehilda
Apr 27, 2013
You'd think that for all his genre savvy, Hinata would at least see that this could be a very obvious murder plot on Souda's part. Especially considering that apparently nobody besides Souda and Hinata know about their "plan", and that Hinata has no actual evidence of this upcoming beach party. (Except maybe Tsumiki's offhanded remark about a plan that required a clear sky, but I suppose that could just be a coincidence.)

I am really liking Sonia more, too. She gives me strong Starfire vibes. And Hinata is very good at being the sane one in a world of pure anime tropes, which is especially refreshing considering that he's the player character.

• Locked thread