Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Gynovore posted:

Really late in the game, just for fun, make a Doom Star with a Stellar Converter. :smug:

Doom Star hull
+ all kinds of speed mods
+ the time warp thing that gives additional move
+ 10000000 x Pulsars

:happyelf:

Early-midgame, heavy Ion cannons make things explode extremely well. Just remember to switch to something else once enemies with actual shields show up.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was doing just fine until the Antarans showed up. They wreck everything, but I've noticed a lack of missiles and point defense. Should I be going for large/slow/tough or fast/weak/numerous ships primarily?

e: I'm basically at the end of the tech tree, aside from Orion and miniaturization not a lot I can do.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 19, 2013

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

StashAugustine posted:

I was doing just fine until the Antarans showed up. They wreck everything, but I've noticed a lack of missiles and point defense. Should I be going for large/slow/tough or fast/weak/numerous ships primarily?

e: I'm basically at the end of the tech tree, aside from Orion and miniaturization not a lot I can do.

Standard tactics work against the Antarans. Just be aware that their Particle Beams go through your shields unless you have Hard Shields. (or Damper Fields).

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Achilles Targeting Unit + Structural Analyser + Heavy Plasma Beams/Disruptors/Mauler Devices. Assuming you have a good computer, of course (75+). Include an Inertial Nullifier and you're good to go.

Alternatively, build ships with five tractor beams, the faster engine tech (forget the name), subspace teleporters and troop pods. Add assault shuttles to taste, including death rays to kill marines if the damper field goes down. Board & capture the Antarans and scrap their ships to steal their tech. This also works on all other ships.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Aethernet posted:

Achilles Targeting Unit + Structural Analyser + Heavy Plasma Beams/Disruptors/Mauler Devices. Assuming you have a good computer, of course (75+). Include an Inertial Nullifier and you're good to go.

Alternatively, build ships with five tractor beams, the faster engine tech (forget the name), subspace teleporters and troop pods. Add assault shuttles to taste, including death rays to kill marines if the damper field goes down. Board & capture the Antarans and scrap their ships to steal their tech. This also works on all other ships.

Mauler Devices hit automatically, and therefore don't require a targeting computer. Also, to board a ship, you need Tractor Beams *or* Subspace Teleporters *or* Assault Shuttles. More than one is redundant.

If I knew as much about particle physics as I do about MOO II, I'd have found the Higgs Boson by now. :cripes:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is anyone else having trouble loading the pages on the wiki? My connection is fine and its not a problem anywhere else but it takes a good 5-10 seconds to load a single page.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

Is anyone else having trouble loading the pages on the wiki? My connection is fine and its not a problem anywhere else but it takes a good 5-10 seconds to load a single page.

It might have been a temporary problem? I just tried and pages were loading in a second for me.

It's my hosting, and I've noticed it's sometimes slow, but it used to be that between certain hours of the day it was just down, so this is an improvement.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Mauler Devices hit automatically, and therefore don't require a targeting computer. Also, to board a ship, you need Tractor Beams *or* Subspace Teleporters *or* Assault Shuttles. More than one is redundant.

If I knew as much about particle physics as I do about MOO II, I'd have found the Higgs Boson by now. :cripes:

Bang on about mauler devices, but subspace teleporters move the ship, not the troops. You're thinking of the troop teleporter module, which doesn't work on Antarans because they've got damper fields. Assault shuttles let you carry even more troops than troop pods.

I, too, have wasted my life on MOO2.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm about to start XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Never played any of these, going in blind. What should I know?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

theshim posted:

I'm about to start XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Never played any of these, going in blind. What should I know?

You are fighting a losing battle. Get used to losses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

theshim posted:

Check the wiki for some other basic tips, but, the first ones that come to mind:
-Robotanks are both kind of buggy and kind of worthless. Just bring a Rookie instead, they're cheaper, easier to replace, and might actually get better at some point.
-Aliens will never move if they know there's someone on Overwatch. This can be used to your advantage, but can also mean that with clumsy Overwatching, you're just making them shoot at your dudes more.
-Play on Normal first.
-Rookies are disposable, that's okay.
-Always have at least two teams ready. Rotate dudes in and out so that all your XP isn't soaked up by a handful of dudes, because if they get injured or die, you're back to using all Rookies.
-The most important upgrades in the game are the ones that expand squad size. Build an Officer School ASAP, and get them. Less important but still pretty nice is the one that automatically gives every Rookie a free upgrade to something actually useful. Everything else is preference.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Colon V posted:

Check the wiki for some other basic tips, but, the first ones that come to mind:
-Robotanks are both kind of buggy and kind of worthless. Just bring a Rookie instead, they're cheaper, easier to replace, and might actually get better at some point.

S.H.I.V.'s were patched and now they work as-designed. They're brilliant mobile cover. Oh and a good pair of skills for Snipers is Squadsight and drat Good Ground. Put them somewhere atop a hill or building and watch them murder anything your team can see.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh and a good pair of skills for Snipers is Squadsight and drat Good Ground. Put them somewhere atop a hill or building and watch them murder anything your team can see.

Squad sight is essential for snipers. Until they unlock it (at sergeant, I think?) they're kind of a pain in the rear end unit that you have to babysit a little, but once they get squad sight they really open up and become some of your deadliest units.

You have a choice at that rank between squad sight and an ability that lets you move and shoot on the same turn; if you're like me, you might be dumb and think "oh, well, snipers were annoying to manage because I couldn't move and shoot them on the same turn, so I'll take that ability of course!" on your first game, but that is the objectively wrong decision, you want squad sight. No, they can't move, but with squad sight, once they get set up in a good space, they don't really ever have to move (and they can shoot things that can't shoot them back).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

theshim posted:

Get satellites everywhere for extra cash, panic reduction and special powers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

You have a choice at that rank between squad sight and an ability that lets you move and shoot on the same turn; if you're like me, you might be dumb and think "oh, well, snipers were annoying to manage because I couldn't move and shoot them on the same turn, so I'll take that ability of course!" on your first game, but that is the objectively wrong decision, you want squad sight. No, they can't move, but with squad sight, once they get set up in a good space, they don't really ever have to move (and they can shoot things that can't shoot them back).

Just as a general rule for theshim and anyone else getting into X-COM:EU, your snipers shouldn't be moving at all unless it's one of those maps with very narrow lines of sight. And even then, they should be at the rear of the group covering everyone else as they advance. Find somewhere high up with a good view of the map behind cover, and leave them there.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Geokinesis posted:

Anything for Fallen Enchantress?

10 days ago so you may already know but the more heroes you have in an army the less xp they will gain after battles. I'd have two per army max.

Non contiguous borders to the capital make cities unrest go up so avoid that if possible.

Karavox is a dick.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Started Fire Emblem: Awakening

Picked Classic Mode because I was told the permadeath made the game.

Lend me your tips!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DirtyTalk posted:

Started Fire Emblem: Awakening

Picked Classic Mode because I was told the permadeath made the game.

Lend me your tips!

-Don't be afraid to restart a mission if an important character (early healers, most female characters) died.
-Avoid using Frederick as a frontline fighter. He's prepromoted, meaning he'll get virtually no experience in the early game. Either use him purely as a pair-up stat stick, hold off until the midgame, give him a gag weapon like a log so he can't deal enough damage to kill things, or second seal him into an unpromoted class
-Donny (the character from Paralogue 1) gets disgustingly strong if you get him past his lovely starting stats. Protip: Surround archers with 3 units + donny, have donny poke them to death while they're unable to attack him.
-A lot of people talk about eugenics stuff or getting Galeforce on everyone in the main FE thread. You can completely ignore this. Min/maxing in this fashion is completely unnecessary except on the absolute highest difficulty and on the hardest post-endgame DLC.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

pentyne posted:

I'm having a similar problem with the wiki. I can't actually load any page except for the front page. Anyway seeing as how I can't anyone have any tips for The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

I'm having a similar problem with the wiki. I can't actually load any page except for the front page. Anyway seeing as how I can't anyone have any tips for The Witcher II: Assassin of Kings?

I've contacted my host to ask them about it. I was experiencing slowness as well when I just checked the site.

Regardless, here is the wiki entry for The Witcher 2. It's long!

quote:

- Press a movement key twice quickly to roll that direction. Double "S" - roll backwards, is very useful in many of the early fights.
- You can block (parry) with "E". It is hard to block fast opponents. It is easier to block slow opponents but they can still damage you (the block just reduces damage). Blocking uses Vigor (stamina) the same as Signs (spells) so if you have no Vigor you cannot block. Blocking is not that useful compared to dodging at the beginning.
- You can lock onto a target by holding down Alt. There is no "cycle through potential targets" key.
- You will get murdered if you leap into the middle of a group of guys, which is all too easy to do early on. Don't be afraid to do a strategic retreat: attack, roll away, attack - etc. If you are getting closed in then run away a bit. If you are in an enclosed area then it is hard to find space but just keep moving.
- Left mouse button is a quick strike and right mouse button is a heavy blow. You should favor the quick hit early on, but a good way to take someone down quickly is to do a couple of quick hits followed by a heavy hit. Quick hits even work on armored guys: if you try to take someone down just using heavy hits then they will usually counter you. You can do a lot of damage if you attack someone from behind or the side, and the same applies when they attack you.
- Signs are great, even at the start before you increase your skill in any of them. Aard can stun people but it is not that reliable at the start. Yrden places a trap on the group that can completely disable one foe - very useful if you have the space to use it. Igni does not do enough damage at the start. Quen should be your "default" Sign most of the time, since it protects you from being staggered when hit. Note that you do not regenerate health when Quen is active. Axii is good at the start of an encounter to mind control one person to be on your side. You have to power up Axii by holding the "Q" key down, so it is only useful before the fight starts, unless you can run a distance away.
- Use your potions and bombs. They make a big difference and it is easy to make lots of them not too far into the game. You can also find or craft traps.
- As the previous poster mentioned, don't hoard stuff. Collect things you think might be rare, but common stuff like iron ore, timber, cloth is all over. You can leave it where it is until you discover a need to collect it. You will find way more crafting/recipe items than you need so do not hang onto potions, bombs etc. You really are meant to use them - it's what Witchers do.
- Geralt usually uses swords, but there are some good alternative weapons to be found. Don't be afraid to use these weapons, particularly early in the game.
- There are stealth portions to the game. They are quite hard, but forgiving if you fail. Although hard, they are quite doable if you proceed with a lot of patience (not easy in a usually fast-paced game). You can extinguish torches. You can knock guys out if you approach directly from behind and right-click. You cannot stand against the wall and have a guard walk past you like in the movies - they will see you. You just have to wait until they have their back to you - even if they are some distance away - and then rush them. If two guards can see each other then don't even try to knock one out, wait until they split up and do not have LOS. If you watch guards from afar then you can easily see the best time to approach them from behind. You don't sneak right up to them, you get close-ish but not too close, wait for them to turn away (back directly facing you), and then rush them.
- If you have a Witcher 1 save then it imports some Orens (gold) and items, plus it may have minor dialogue influences. The items imported are not that much better than what you start with by default, so do not expect having a Witcher 1 save to make the game easier. Any imported items start in your inventory - not equipped. You have to equip them.
- There's no traditional tutorial. Do the flashback sequences in order because you'll be tossed into the furnace without being able to practice.
- Combat is deadly as the developers openly stated their Demon's Souls influence. One-against-one Geralt is a beast but you're almost always fighting three or more guys. Enemies inflict +200% damage on your flank and certain hits stagger you which means you can be juggled to death in literally two seconds. In tight spaces cast quen (absorbs damage, prevents stagger) and use every bomb and area attack to not die horribly. In open areas use Geralt's speed to your advantage by running circles around enemies, laying traps, casting yrden (creates a paralyzing trap), cast igni or aard to whittle away opponents, and dodge roll behind people to stab them in the back. Understand there's a slight pause between certain actions so be patient and don't jump the gun or you'll die. Simple as that.
- Axii is an underrated spell. Hold down the casting button over an enemy to temporarily mind control them. You have to pull it off from a good distance but in large groups it causes all enemies to target the hypnotized enemy which makes flanking them easy.
- Before going out in the wilderness or a dungeon suck down some potions. You have to be in a relatively safe area to do this and they last about 5-10 minutes. Swallow is an important one because there are no conventional healing abilities.
- Don't horde. I keep reading posts about people hitting the weight limit but this is ridiculous because there's no point in hauling a bunch of junk around. It would be nice if they brought back the storage from the first game but you have plenty of space. Sell weapons and armor you don't need, sell anything labeled "junk" in the menu screen, and sell off any common crafting equipment that you can find by looting a random house like cloth or timber. Brew some potions and bombs when you run low and sell off everything else that's terribly common like monster ingredients.
- You have to keep your formulas to use them despite the fact they're added to the journal. It sucks that they weigh .1 pounds while books (which add an entry to your journal) somehow weigh 0 pounds so hopefully next week's announced patch fixes this oversight.
- Pressing "Z" activates the wolf medallion which highlights objects. It also reveals magical auras and environmental hazards.
- You can double click on a quest in the journal to mark it on the mini-map. Blue and green dots that show up on the mini-map are important NPCs while enemies show up as red dots if you use the wolf medallion to mark them.
- The game is about delayed choices so you won't notice the effects of your actions until later. Be warned about the occasional quick-time-event (they're fortunately rare) and timed dialog choice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dead Space. What should I put upgrades into? Do Rig upgrades stay if you get a new one?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Rig upgrades carry over iirc, and assuming you're playing the first one, you should be able to just fill the one or two weapons you use the most all the way. It's worth it to keep a spare node on you, though, because sometimes you'll run across a room full of stuff that needs one to enter (and 9 times out of 10 it's worth more than it costs to buy another node)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rig upgrades carry over, yeah, there's no reason to hold off on buying them if you feel like it.

Anything to know for State of Decay?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How do you play The Political Machine 2012? I don't really know what I'm doing besides sending the candidate to random states and giving speeches.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StashAugustine posted:

Dead Space. What should I put upgrades into? Do Rig upgrades stay if you get a new one?

- Always have your plasma cutter, and take the time to upgrade it. There's a reason it's possible to run through the entire game with just the Cutter and that's because it never stops being useful.

- The Line Gun is also worth holding onto and upgrading. It'll sweep away rows of limbs when you get hordes of Necromorphs charging at you (though do take the time to up it's firing rate as well as damage).

- You don't need many nodes in air - just one or two will do . Stasis duration and charges are moderately useful, but again you can get by with the default in a pinch. Kinesis isn't worth upgrading at all really as any puzzles that use it are built around its default range.

- The Pulse Gun's the only "real" gun. The secondary fire's close to useless, but it's a solid damage-dealer with lots of ammo per-clip as long as you remember to aim for the limbs.

- Above all else, stomp the poo poo out of everything - crates and corpses. Even if you think it's just a corpse left out as scenery stomp it.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

President Ark posted:

-Don't be afraid to restart a mission if an important character (early healers, most female characters) died.
-Avoid using Frederick as a frontline fighter. He's prepromoted, meaning he'll get virtually no experience in the early game. Either use him purely as a pair-up stat stick, hold off until the midgame, give him a gag weapon like a log so he can't deal enough damage to kill things, or second seal him into an unpromoted class
-Donny (the character from Paralogue 1) gets disgustingly strong if you get him past his lovely starting stats. Protip: Surround archers with 3 units + donny, have donny poke them to death while they're unable to attack him.
-A lot of people talk about eugenics stuff or getting Galeforce on everyone in the main FE thread. You can completely ignore this. Min/maxing in this fashion is completely unnecessary except on the absolute highest difficulty and on the hardest post-endgame DLC.

Thanks for the advice. Some of it I didn't understand - probably just because I haven't played enough of the game yet, but I will definitely keep an eye out.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just got Wild Arms 3. Tell me about Wild Arms 3.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ferrosol posted:

I've posted a list of tips for The Witcher 2 here, then dropped them into a steam guide and people seemed to like them, so here's a repost:

Here are some things I wish I knew when I started playing The Witcher 2:

* Delete your outdated save files constantly. The game autosaves often and never overwrites the saves. This starts to affect your game performance very quickly. Ideally, you shouldn't have to scroll through your save games list at all.

* The game's combat system takes inspiration from Dark Souls and the like more than it does from conventional RPG's. That means you need to roll around. A lot. The moment I realized I could just let most guys swing, roll, then flank and shank them instead of slugging it out made combat SO much easier.

* If you're having trouble with a particular opponent at the start of the game, you always have the basic options of: rolling behind them and backstabbing / hitting them with the Aard sign and whaling on them while they stagger (if a shield guy is hit with the Aard and goes down on one knee, roll behind him, otherwise you'll still hit the shield) / get the riposte talent, then block and riposte when prompted.

* Enemy Quen can't really be dispelled. You have to wait it out (or better yet, disrupt them with an Aard as they try to cast it)

* Get the Riposte talent. You want the basic Swordsmanship path talents regardless of your build, but more importantly, there are a number of sections where you're playing a different character, and riposte is the only Witcher skill you have that carries over.

* Do you see all those "Bonus to X when poisoned" talents in the Alchemy tree? "Poisoned" means "Under the effects of a potion."

* Make sure you destroy 5 training dummies in Foltest's camp in the prologue, then destroy another 5 anywhere in Floatsam for a minor but important bonus.

* When you've fired the ballista in the prologue, find and examine a corpse near a nearby haystack for another neat bonus.

* When you arrive at Floatsam, you are invited to visit the commander. Doing so will give you a fairly good armor and silver sword design, so that should probably be the first thing you do before you go out and do some sidequests.

* Whenever you need to gather certain alchemical ingredients for a particular quest, drop them off into a storage chest (you get one at any inn) as you gather them. The game does NOT make an exception for quest items when preparing potions, and will happily use them up, leaving you screwed. So keep one copy of: Endrega embryo, Troll Tongue, Arachas Eye, Essence of Death, Queen endrega's pheromones and Bullivore Brain. Your stored items transfer from chapter to chapter.

* Your basic potion list when exploring should be some combination of: Swallow (health regeneration), Gadwall (high health regeneration, can be combined with Swallow), Tawny Owl (high vigor regeneration), Rook (+sword damage) and Petri's Philter (+ sign damage). The other potions are bit situational (though they can be quite good when combined with the alchemist's tree "greater potion bonuses, lesser potion disadvantages" talents).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Just picked up the Myst collection on GOG.

I noticed there's RealMyst and the Masterpiece Edition, will I miss much by skipping the original Myst and going straight into Real?
And of course, any useful tips and tricks would not go remiss.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Wiki posted:

If it moves, makes a funny sound, has numbers, symbols, letters or anything scrawled in ink, blood or feces, if it opens, closes, locks or latches, if it shows you the wonders of the universe then eats your soul make. a. note. of. it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So in the Persona 3 FES (and the section for 3, I assume most of that stuff applies to FES) section people recommend alot of stuff that seems quite obscure, will the game itself tell me when options like going out at night to the arcade or Elizabeth's side missions open up? I started it back in February, got about 3 hours in and realised I didn't have time for a game like that at the time, now I do.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Crap, totally forgot about the wiki, my bad. :blush:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Deakul posted:

Crap, totally forgot about the wiki, my bad. :blush:
Nah, it's cool. It's just the only advice that can really be given for Myst.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

thebardyspoon posted:

So in the Persona 3 FES (and the section for 3, I assume most of that stuff applies to FES) section people recommend alot of stuff that seems quite obscure, will the game itself tell me when options like going out at night to the arcade or Elizabeth's side missions open up? I started it back in February, got about 3 hours in and realised I didn't have time for a game like that at the time, now I do.
It's been quite a long while since I played P3, but yes I'm pretty sure it will alert you whenever something new is opened up. For Elizabeth's requests I believe they only update after certain events, like full moon battles. You would have to go out of your way to check for new ones but you'll almost certainly know when to check. The first month or so of the game is spent acclimating you to the schedule.

E: Good lord, the stuff "you should know before playing this game for the first time" for Persona 4 on the wiki is as long as a short story :psyduck: Could probably prune a lot of that down.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 21, 2013

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

alcharagia posted:

On the overworld you have to scan for locations before they'll show up. It's annoying and you can easily miss something important so feel free to look up a guide for that. Also the intro and outro (shows up when you quit after saving, if I remember right) will change a couple of times throughout the game as new things happen so keep an eye on that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

Just picked up the Myst collection on GOG.

I noticed there's RealMyst and the Masterpiece Edition, will I miss much by skipping the original Myst and going straight into Real?
And of course, any useful tips and tricks would not go remiss.

I think I'm in the minority but I would play the original Myst first. I still love the way the still images and sound design go together, it makes the whole game feel like a much more isolated and mysterious experience. RealMyst has a little "bonus dungeon" that ties into Riven which is kind of neat to check out, so I'd play it too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

alcharagia posted:

When you equip abilities to your mediums, it is a one time deal. You cannot unequip the skills. So be careful using rare ones. IIRC, you can overwrite them though but the original ability is still lost. You can swap the mediums around to other chars and it will still have the abilities you have equipped on it.

Also do the gardening sidequest asap. Do not ignore the garden, as it helps you (or breaks the game) depending on how much you put into it.

edit: Try to plan out your ARMs growth too. You can redo it so you aren't completely boned, but it costs a bit of money.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 21, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Cthulhu Saves the World?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Anything to know for 7 Grand Steps? I've spent a few hours on it and it seems like the trick of the game is striking the right balance between...uh...everything. I'm wondering if there's some basic rules of thumb to know about.

I've only made it as far as the Iron Age, but here's my strategy so far.

First, I decide what social class I'm aiming for in a particular age. You start as a Laborer, but can eventually upgrade yourself to Artisan, Professional or Nobility. The higher you go, the longer you have before the Age ends. It's probably not worth inventing much until you're at the class you want, since inventing something gives you an edge only for the ring you discover it on. So if I invent something as an Artisan, and then become a Professional, I've now got a bunch of tokens that won't help me get ahead on my ring.

Alternate Social and Heroic challenges. Moving up a social class is expensive, so having a successful Heroic legend gives you a boost.

Once I've reached the class I want, I alternate Heroic and Inventive challenges. Successful heroic challenges give you tokens and legend points you can put towards your inventions.

Marry for love, if you can. A spouse who loves you has the Impetus of Love ability, where if you go ahead to the spouse's space you'll get pushed ahead to the next space with that symbol. On the other hand, not every generation gets to marry for love, and if you wait too long you'll lose your chance to marry and have any kids. I hope you have siblings!

Sometimes, Allies or Enemies will appear on the board. Allies boost you like a loving spouse, and working with them to make tokens tends to get better results. Enemies will block spaces and if you're on their space, you can't make tokens.

Sibling rivalry sucks, so avoid it if you can. If children are treated differently from their siblings, they start to dislike or hate each other. So if you put all your effort into making your oldest kid a super-kid, all of his siblings will hate him and actively work against him once he takes over. Siblings who often engage in similar activities will grow to like or love their siblings, which will grant bonuses once they come of age. So you want all of your kids to study, work, or play together as much as possible to keep family friction low. If you only have one or two kids, make them study until they have A skills, then put them to work. Once you have three or more, you probably won't have enough tokens to have them all study, so let them play for small skill boosts and work when you need tokens.

The nicknames you get to pick from when you come of age depend on how high your skills are. Having 2 or more As seems to get you the best ones. However, sometimes "good" personalities can get you into "bad" situations and vice-versa.

A lot of this game is random, so go for what makes a good story more than what seems to be "winning". You get more points from an epic tragedy than a modest victory. Just try to have enough kids to carry on the family line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

RatHat posted:

Anything for Cthulhu Saves the World?

Couldn't really think of anything. The game isn't very hard as far as JRPGs go.