Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Attack on Titan isn't relentlessly grimdark, though the first few chapters may seem that way. The potato scene is a well-known bit of genuine humor. Like, not black humor, but something honestly funny without anything horrible happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Soulcleaver posted:

Four, assuming Bert & Ernie's friend who got eaten by Ymir in the flashback was also a human-titan.

Can't get over Bert and Ernie catching on so fast as nicknames.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
I would say it's roughly like if Final Fantasy Tactics were a magna written by Junji Ito.

(Only on ADTRW do I allow myself sentences that nerdy).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can go nerdier. To me it feels like Battlestar Galactica crossed with the Nightwatch parts of Game of Thrones, written by Junji Ito.

The BSG part especially with all the "OMG this character is a secret titan!" stuff going on.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I thought of it more as a zombie/kaiju fusion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's zombie if the zombies were 50 feet tall, and giant robot if the robots were made out of meat.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Anatharon posted:

I read very little manga but my brother's gotten into this lately. Is the whole thing, well, comically dark? I tried watching Evangelion and it really reminded me of A Series of Unfortunate Events so I couldn't really get interested. This seems interesting and all but I find it hard to stay engaged in something that tries too hard to stay dark. :shrug:

It is comically dark for the reader just because the titans look so silly at times. Smiling like dopes, nugget arms, tiny titans that are barely taller than humans still hungering, etc. So it does look silly, but to the characters and the reader there are times when these dopes just tear into a human, consume them, and *smile* through the entire process. They are not happy because they caught someone, they are not happy because they got a meal, them being smiley is just something they are and there are times where that disturbs me the right out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm not sure if there actually smiling so much as baring their teeth.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's grim, but you won't hate all the characters the way you do in Evangelion.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's grim, but you won't hate all the characters the way you do in Evangelion.

You could say that about almost anything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I finally read the manga after watching the anime because curiosity got the better of me and then all it did was make me have more questions. :(

Everytime they start doing well and make progress some poo poo goes down that is totally unexpected. We got a titan as an ally? Nope time to lose a bunch of people to Annie. Oh you captured Annie? Time for some weird sasquatch to call in a bunch of titans. (Transform humans into titans?) Oh Annie bought you time to get Eren and Mikasa there? Time for Reiner and Bert to try to kidnap Eren and Annie.

How did Ymir kill Reiner's + Bert's friend? Where was their village? Shouldn't they have been away from their village to attack the walls?

The only thing I can hope for is that Eren somehow convinces them to go to his basement.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I was thinking the titan-humans aren't super-strong or durable unless they turn. So, perhaps she chomped down on his head (killing him) before he even had the chance to turn.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I mean why was she there? Why were they there? Reiner and Bert should've been at the wall to break it. Once its broken they have no safety against Titans so they should've hid behind the second wall.

Basically how does: They break the wall -> They make it back to their now unsafe village -> They're surprised a titan killed their family (Ymir is there cus ???) -> go into military occur.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kild posted:

I mean why was she there? Why were they there? Reiner and Bert should've been at the wall to break it. Once its broken they have no safety against Titans so they should've hid behind the second wall.

Basically how does: They break the wall -> They make it back to their now unsafe village -> They're surprised a titan killed their family (Ymir is there cus ???) -> go into military occur.

There's nothing to indicate that they broke the wall before it happened though. Just that a friend got chomped when they were kids.

The bit about their village (being attacked by titan) could also have easily been a lie, since either Bert or Reiner (I forget who) says he wants to get back, and has recently made it seem like Eren is the key to getting back to their village. Which implies that it wasn't eaten by Titans like he told Eren back in training.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Why are you assuming that they originated from inside the wall?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kild posted:

I think this is the order: They're surprised a titan killed their family (Ymir is there cus ???) -> They break the wall -> go into military

Ymir munching on their friend probably occurred outside the walls entirely. It's likely where their home village is. They wanted to destroy the walls and kill all the humans within, so Bert and Ernie broke the wall and used the resulting confusion to blend in with the survivors and infiltrate society.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

How do villages exist outside the walls? Also if Ymir is a human why would she eat people for sport unless it was a very early transformation that she couldn't control I guess.

e:

KittyEmpress posted:

The bit about their village (being attacked by titan) could also have easily been a lie, since either Bert or Reiner (I forget who) says he wants to get back, and has recently made it seem like Eren is the key to getting back to their village. Which implies that it wasn't eaten by Titans like he told Eren back in training.
But wasn't it an internal thought that she looked like the Titan that ate his family?
e2:

yeah they had no reason to bring it up so I'd say its pretty likely to be true.

Kild fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 20, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are lots of ways for people to live outside the walls, just not in the numbers found inside. A plateau, an island, underground, a smaller wall, etc.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are lots of ways for people to live outside the walls, just not in the numbers found inside. A plateau, an island, underground, a smaller wall, etc.

This hasn't been shown though has it?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

No, and it's not even certain that there's an actual village, since Reiner's memory has apparently been messed with

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Serious Frolicking posted:

Also, if everyone is a titan then they're probably a bit better defended than the humans. I mean, Eren barely keeps control and can take 2-3 each. As long as a huge swarm doesn't come, I'm sure a village of human-titans could defend themselves just fine.

And Hild, you seem to have missed what I said - I never said she didn't eat his friend/family, what I said was that the village you are assuming exists is not confirmed to be inside the walls like he claimed it was when LYING about his backstory

Especially since they're headed OUTSIDE of the walls with Eren, as far as I can tell.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Also, if everyone is a titan then they're probably a bit better defended than the humans. I mean, Eren barely keeps control and can take 2-3 each. As long as a huge swarm doesn't come, I'm sure a village of human-titans could defend themselves just fine.

And Hild, you seem to have missed what I said - I never said she didn't eat his friend/family, what I said was that the village you are assuming exists is not confirmed to be inside the walls like he claimed it was when LYING about his backstory

Especially since they're headed OUTSIDE of the walls with Eren, as far as I can tell.

Oh I see. But they're in between wall Maria and wall Rose.

Kild fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 20, 2013

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Kild posted:

The titan village is in Eren's dad's basement.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kild posted:

This is true, but they said that they could 'only make it this far' before they got tired. We don't actually know where they're going, and it could either be outside of the walls or to a village inside it. Until then, well, I guess no one's right because gently caress if anyone knows.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Abitha Denton posted:

The titan village is in Eren's dad's basement.

Fraggle Rock is the exact opposite of a titan village.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I just blitzed through the manga today after watching the anime a couple days ago, and I have to say once it hit the point that it turns out the entire main cast is a titan it kind of took me out of it. It turns out the catalysts for the entire series were right here all along! I don't know. I'll probably keep tabs on this but it's a weird turn to take in my opinion.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The anime people really should avoid the manga because it's one of the few times that the anime does everything the manga does but way better.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Except the pacing in the most recent couple of episodes. I'm not going WAH WAH RUINED FOREVER like some people in the anime thread because there weren't any bigmans in them, but yeah they were kinda slow and had some blabbering for filler. The next episode has rock lifting though, so it should be pretty rad.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kild posted:

How do villages exist outside the walls? Also if Ymir is a human why would she eat people for sport unless it was a very early transformation that she couldn't control I guess.

e:

But wasn't it an internal thought that she looked like the Titan that ate his family?
e2:

yeah they had no reason to bring it up so I'd say its pretty likely to be true.

One thing of note (maybe?) is that it looks like all three were wearing backpacks in this image.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

The anime has done really well, gripes about the past three episodes aside (I wasn't too fazed by it). However, I've batted ideas around with some friends about how the series will end, and if it ends where we're thinking it will (he said Annie's capture, I said Utgard but that might be a stretch) it might never regain its earlier pacing. It'd be interesting but unlikely if the creator collaborated with the anime folks in making an anime original ending if it came down to that, but given the original stuff added he prolly isn't involved that much in the content.

I might be forgetting just how much happens between now and then.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The only acceptable anime-only endings are "Titans eat everybody" and "Eren kills every drat titan in the world".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

The only acceptable anime-only endings are "Titans eat everybody" and "Eren kills every drat titan in the world".
So....an Ideon ending then?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Soulcleaver posted:

Except the pacing in the most recent couple of episodes. I'm not going WAH WAH RUINED FOREVER like some people in the anime thread because there weren't any bigmans in them, but yeah they were kinda slow and had some blabbering for filler. The next episode has rock lifting though, so it should be pretty rad.

Yeah but then we're going to get like an hour of the dumbest trail ever. "How dare you use your superpowers to save the entire town? We will throw away literally the only chance we have to really help humanity. "

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah but then we're going to get like an hour of the dumbest trail ever. "How dare you use your superpowers to save the entire town? We will throw away literally the only chance we have to really help humanity. "

Eren-Titan did try to punch Mikasa, though. Apart from general paranoia about Titans in general, there were legitimate reasons to distrust Eren-Titan specifically. What if he goes out of control again in the middle of the city? Or during a critical mission? Dissecting him is a lower-risk, lower-reward approach vs the higher-risk, higher-reward approach of trying to harness him as a living weapon, but there are merits to both and the former cannot simply be dismissed as "dumb".

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 21, 2013

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
PRESENT FOR YOU ALL

http://fenglee.com/game/aog/

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

What is it? I try to make a habit of not randomly downloading things in languages I can't read.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

E: wrong thread ughhh SALR

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 21, 2013

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Karnegal posted:

What is it? I try to make a habit of not randomly downloading things in languages I can't read.

From what I can extrapolate from Chrome's translation is seems to be a 3DMG game.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

It's a Unity 3DMG game it seems. It certainly gives you an appreciation of how hard (and thus useless outside of an anime setting) the 3DMG is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Warning: These titans do not die if you shove swords up their asses.