Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
These are from a surrealist diorama by a pair of British brothers now on display in Hong Kong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013
1980 map of the balance of military power in Europe:
http://i.imgur.com/ZJspA09.png
http://i.imgur.com/rurXuld.png

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh my God shut up. No one cares what dumb book you have a hard on for.

Oh my God, shut up, no one cares about goons' opinions about some book they developed a hate boner about because it became popular.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

anchoress posted:

a convenient map of people who should be murdered:

I love it when the Human Biodiversity lot get mentioned because, as a trans person, it lets me get in a free ad hominem. For example, the HBD lot really liked this guy's book on homosexuality and transsexualism:

J. Michael Bailey, author of The Man Who Would Be Queen. Got in trouble recently for attaching a dildo onto the end of a jigsaw and (consensually) masturbating one of his students with it. One of the ideas Bailey has tried to claim scientific basis for is the idea that all gay men lisp. According to his colleagues in the Human Biodiversity Institute, that's why Al Gore lost in 2000.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Bloodnose posted:

These are from a surrealist diorama by a pair of British brothers now on display in Hong Kong

I don't understand it so therefore I hate it and it is not art.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hIlTCJ6CiA

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

anchoress posted:

a convenient map of people who should be murdered:

I saw this before and I'm still not sure why Lesswrong is on there. It's kinda wacky at times but I'm not sure in which sense it's "far right"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

An AYB reference. Way to keep current there guy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

He joked, as at that very moment across town somebody was sentenced for possession.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

Pobama posted:

Also it was a few pages ago but did I actually see some idiots rag on a poster for saying that the loss of art at the Hagia Sophia was a historical tragedy?

Some of you people are so eager to jump on "racism" that you must see it in every little shadow. How you go about functioning in the world must be fascinating to observe.

For someone who read a whole book (good for you :D) you seem to have no bothered reading 3 pages of a thread for context.

Start with the part where he said black people are self-victimising because they act black and should bootstrap out of it.

Protesters in Brazil were asked for a protest path mapped out for the police. Their response was this map.

If you aren't a history nerd: It's the invasion/migration path of the Vandals+others

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

V-Men posted:

At this point all your base has ascended internet meme and become normal pop culture. Its a classic.

I believe these are colombian anti drug cops.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Peruvian riot police:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

At this point all your base has ascended internet meme and become normal pop culture. Its a classic.

Googling the name on the banner, I am seeing the internet claim these are Bolivian cops, the Unidad Táctica de Articulación Reacción y Control de Crisis.

According to The Telegraph, the Vatican has attributed a miracle to Pope John Paul II, clearing him for sainthood. Here is a flattering photo of the pope.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

V-Men posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__NvV6UkgA

USA America number 1 in politic

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Obama in Berlin

Is he really talking from behind a glass wall? :psyduck:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Arthur C. Clarke hitting the hell out of a ping pong ball. rip

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Oh my God, shut up, no one cares about goons' opinions about some book they developed a hate boner about because it became popular.

Agreed, though I wonder why you quoted my post to say this. Oh Well.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

System Metternich posted:

Obama in Berlin

Is he really talking from behind a glass wall? :psyduck:

Yes, also the entire are around the Brandenburg gate was closed down. The audience were 5000 selected guests.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

khwarezm posted:

welcome to fabulous New Mecca!

BTW that tower's goddamned huge. See the clockface? See the little dark turret/tower things beside each face, on each corner? Each one of those is only slightly smaller than Big Ben.

Same-scale photo comparison:

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Translation for non-noggies:
Town and land, hand in hand, the entire people employed, the Norwegian Labor party.

Good times, that was.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYr09q9dHSo

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Here is Billy Bragg's version of "The Red Flag":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obpd9uc5HVg

After hearing the miserable version the British Labour Party sings to the tune of "O Tannenbaum," it's good to hear it performed to the correct tune of "The White Cockade."

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Some of the world's holiest sites.

The Ise Grand Shrine is actually a complex of 125 shrines spread over several kilometres, dedicated to the goddesses of Toyouke-Omikami (fertility) and Amaterasu (sun; ruler of the Heavens and founding mother of the Japanese imperial house). Pictured is Kotaijingu, the Inner Shrine where Amaterasu herself is supposed to dwell. With the exception of a few high-ranking clerics, nobody is allowed to enter it. The Sacred Mirror, a part of the imperial regalia is said to be kept there.

The Temple of Confucius in Qufu, China. This massive complex was built on house of Confucius and is both the oldest and the largest temple in Confucianism.

The Mahabodhi Temple in India, built on the place where Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha) is said to have reached enlightenment while sitting under a fig tree, the so-called 'Bodhi tree'. Buddhist mythology states that it is the navel of the world and will disappear last and re-emerge first during the periodical deaths and rebirths of the world. The current Bodhi tree is a direct descendant of the original, planted in 288 BC.

The Indian city of Varanasi (Benares), said to have been founded by Shiva himself. Hindus believe that dying there means salvation, i.e. leaving the otherwise constant cycle of dying and rebirth. Every year, millions of pilgrims bathe in the Ganges river there to cleanse themselves from sin and/or to die there. It is also an important place for Buddhists, as the Buddha is said to have delivered his first sermon there, effectively founding Buddhism.

Shikharji, a hill in India where 20 out of the 24 Tirthankaras (basically prophets of Jainism) are said to have reached nirvana.

Harmandir Sahib in Amritsar, India; also called the 'Golden Temple'. It was built in the 16th ventury and rebuilt into its current form in 1764. It quickly became one of the most prominent and venerated spots of Sikhism.

The Atash Behram in Udvada, Western India. It's the oldest of nine extant 'fire temples' of Zorastrianism. In it a sacred ritual fire has been kept burning since 1742 (though according to legend the fire had been carried on thorugh several other destinations for many centuries before settling there).

The Mosque of the Prophet in Medina, Saudi-Arabia. Mohammed is said to be buried there, making it the second holiest place in Islam. Wahabi clergymen have called for its demolition repeatedly, as they consider the veneration of marked graves to be idolatrous.

The Kaaba in Mecca, the holiest site of Islam. Every Muslim is required to visit it at least once, and all Muslims pray towards it. It has been a sacred site for all Arabians for millennia. Muslim tradition holds that is has been constructed by Abraham and his son Ismael some 4,000 years ago. Muhammad dedicated it to Allah alone, throwing out the statues of dozens of tribal gods that had been kept there up to then.

The Shrine of Bahá'u'lláh near Acre, Israel. There the founder of the Bahá'i religion was buried in 1892. Bahá'i all over the world pray towards it.

Nabi Shu'ayb in northern Israel, where the prophet Shuaib is said to be buried. He is considered yb the Druze to be one of their most important saints, and thousands of Druze make their pilgrimage there each year. According to tradition, the imprint of Shuaib's left foot can be seen on the grave; oil poured into the imprint is considered blessed and lucky.

The Cave of the Patriarchs, located in the southern West Bank. Both Jewish and Islamic traditions holds that the biblical figures of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Sarah, Rebecca and Leah are buried there. Some legends claim that it is the threshold to Eden.

The Foundation Stone beneath the (Muslim) Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. Many Jews see it as the place where the Holy of Holies of the Second Temple was located, making it Judaism's most important sacred site. Many Muslims believe that Muhammad ascended to heaven from there. The hole you can see is said to be the entrance to the Well of Souls, where in ancient times the Ark of the Covenant was said to be kept.

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Most Christian denominations regard it as the place where Christ was crucified, buried and where he eventually rose from the dead, making it Christianity's holiest site. It is unique in the regard that it is controlled not by one, but six Christian churches (Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Armenian Apostolic, Syriac Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox and Ethiopian Orthodox); the keys to its gate are kept by two Muslim families. As you can imagine, fights break out all the time.

The floor above the supposed tomb of St Peter in Rome. Roman Catholics see Peter as first among the Apostles and the first Pope; his tomb is therefore one of Catholicism's most imporant pilgrimage sites.

Many neo-pagan and neo-druidic movements consider Stonehenge in England to be a sacred site, gathering there at the summer solstice.

The Holy of Holies in the Mormon Salt Lake Temple. It is the private chapel of the Church's president and may only be entered by him to act as the new High Priest of Israel. The photograph dates from the early 20th century.

I don't know much about other, 'native' religions and their holy sites, so please post them as well if you have pictures :)

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201393324660576

Stop otherizing the police. We should all be on the same side.

Bonus: being landlocked sucks.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

The First Church of Christ, Scientist (Mother Church), Boston

I was there during a recent vacation. It's a surprisingly impressive and pleasant building, and the overall building complex suggested to me that at some point Christian Science people amassed an astonishing amount of money. (And yes we visited the Mapparium, which made an appearance in this thread at some point.)

emfive fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 20, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

While we're on religious site chat:

This is the Salt Lake Temple, the center of the Mormon religion. About ten years ago my family went on a family vacation to Utah to visit extended family and among our stops was the temple. It's honestly an incredibly impressive building built on a beautiful stretch of land. Unfortunately as I am not a Mormon I was not allowed to enter the temple, but even so it's worth visiting if you're ever in the area.

Also fun tidbit: because of the significance of the site, many Mormon couples choose to be married inside the temple. There are so many that the church runs 24/7 weddings, meaning that regardless of time of day, you'll see multiple bride and groom pairs running around the grounds. It's actually kind of adorable in a strange way.

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

Captain Frigate posted:

I saw this before and I'm still not sure why Lesswrong is on there. It's kinda wacky at times but I'm not sure in which sense it's "far right"

It's a short jump from cheerleading rationality all the time to talking about race and iq to white nationalism. This map was made by folks within this sphere, not without, so if you're a big lesswrong fan i think you should rethink your positions.

picture: monument to the war dead, giuseppe terragni, como, 1933

anchoress fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 20, 2013

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Unrwa screwed up something in translation

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

anchoress posted:

its a short jump from cheerleading rationality all the time to talking about race and iq to white nationalism. this map was made by folks within this sphere, not without, so if you're a big lesswrong fan i think you should rethink your positions

1. Get a pic quick!
2. Like I said last time I saw that image, LessWrong is the sort of crowd who would go in big for Objectivism or unironically endorse fascism and autocracy as more "efficient" forms of government.

On the Double Irish

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
The first church of Scientology, in Los Angeles:

The spiritual headquarters of Scientology, Clearwater, Florida:

International headquarters of Scientology, near San Jacinto, California:

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Saw this on my lunch break. Quite the clever commentary, don't you agree?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

substitute posted:

Saw this on my lunch break. Quite the clever commentary, don't you agree?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
My favorite city map, that of Baarle-Hertog, a Belgian enclave in the southern Netherlands:

You can see that there are also Dutch enclaves inside of the Belgian enclaves!

And here is a restaurant that is divided by the border:

Dutch and Belgian laws differ on when restaurants can be open, so at times of the day, the chairs and tables are moved from one country to another.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pobama posted:

The cannons built by the Ottomans were the largest ever used at the time and we're incredibly impressive. Although they could explode and kill the operators from time to time.

Didn't really help them though:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's because they betrayed the talent and might of the best army in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkHhLXmDox8

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

anchoress posted:

It's a short jump from cheerleading rationality all the time to talking about race and iq to white nationalism. This map was made by folks within this sphere, not without, so if you're a big lesswrong fan i think you should rethink your positions.

Yeah, the people in that map are part of a movement that they call The Dark Enlightenment (basically embracing their image as evil in the eyes of the majority).

Heavy emphasis on "skeptical rationality" is a cornerstone of pseudo-intellectual scientific racism, futurist fascism, paleoconservatism and ethnic nationalism.

The original Futurists made some beautiful art, but their fatal flaw was embracing Fascism as the way forward.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pobama posted:

Oh well if forums user Snickeringshadow a "grad student in Anthropology at Colorado State University" shoots down Pulitzer prize winning author and scientist with a PhD from Cambridge, and numerous awards and professional commendations then I guess we all better sit down and take notes.

I'm sorry but while his opinion is certainly valid, I would hardly turn to him over Diamond without some very good reasons.

Criticizing Diamond seems to be in vogue among lesser academics trying to make a name for themselves though.

Nice appeal to authority and dismissal due to a perceived lack thereof. Biased? Nah.

You were given reasons. Look into it, you lazy poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

"My father says you can spy on my computer."
"He's not your father."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, the people in that map are part of a movement that they call The Dark Enlightenment (basically embracing their image as evil in the eyes of the majority).

Heavy emphasis on "skeptical rationality" is a cornerstone of pseudo-intellectual scientific racism, futurist fascism, paleoconservatism and ethnic nationalism.

The original Futurists made some beautiful art, but their fatal flaw was embracing Fascism as the way forward.

Holy poo poo, those guys are literally old-school classical fascists. I mean, I know nerds are clueless and all, but you would think they'd at least acknowledge it.

Charlemagne's monogramme, which was also used by other Carolingian rulers as a sort of proto-coat-of-arms:

An example of it used in a document:

• Locked thread