Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
:siren:
Crosspost from SA-Mart for my X-65F HOTAS listing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555067

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Thumbnail those images, they're massive.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

A2A's Boeing 377 with the Accusim Captain of the Ship addon.

:spergin:

EDIT: landed it at KORH.

METAR at the time: SPECI KORH 181818Z 01009G19KT 1SM R11/3000VP6000FT +RA BR FEW006 BKN011 OVC021 17/16 A2993 RMK AO2 P0020 T01670161

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 18, 2013

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The AccuSim B377 is loving amazing. I just wish FSX itself was up to the same standard.

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005
The DCS sale has started.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
gently caress. I was going to stay bountiful for one day more. I guess I can't take it with me anyway...

Going to reiterate my "What pedals should I get?" question. Amazon has brought up only Saiteks for about 100 and while they have decent reviews, I trust you guys more than tiny golden stars.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Muurkas posted:

The DCS sale has started.

Welp, just purchased Flaming Cliffs and Huey. My DCS collection is now complete. :v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

gently caress. I was going to stay bountiful for one day more. I guess I can't take it with me anyway...

Going to reiterate my "What pedals should I get?" question. Amazon has brought up only Saiteks for about 100 and while they have decent reviews, I trust you guys more than tiny golden stars.

I'm happy with CH's rudder pedals. I was also happy with the plastic Saitek rudder pedals, and the ones that came with my Logitech G940. I've found rudder pedals to be the single most consistently performing pieces of equipment in my sim. I think the metallic Saitek combat rudder pedals look really cool and I bet they'd work alright too.

They do exactly what they're supposed to.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I saw the metallic ones but the price jump seems a little much if the normal plastic pedals work as well. I figured pedals are pedals but having never owned any I was open to "I've never heard such a stupid loving.thing in my life." I guess I'll just compare pictures until I find one I like the look of. I don't plan on treating them rough but who ever does? I also hear that flight pedals don't work well for racing games so there's no brake-slamming to be had.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I find my CH rudder pedals to be a bit too narrow. I'd like them to be spaced wider apart. Otherwise I'm happy with them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does anyone know how Amazon does replacement stuff? It's cheaper to buy an X52 on Amazon right now by $6 + whatever I spend on Newegg's replacement plan, but I don't know if I'm loving myself over if it breaks in a couple months. Is there a way to buy a replacement plan on it or just a general plan on an Amazon product? It says it's sold by and shipped by Amazon, not a fulfillment order, so I was hoping I could get some sort of coverage on it just in case, especially considering the few horror stories this thread has shared.

Otherwise it's $6 more on Newegg for the base price, then $15, 20, 30 for the extended year warranties.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

How can I tell if I have black shark 1 vs 2? I bought 2 and downloaded the module. Now with the module manager it just says black shark and option to buy black shark 2. Since I manually installed 2 when I bought it I assume it's lying? Is there a way I can tell by checking a certain Ka50 or campaign feature? (I never played v1)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Got a Thrustmaster Warthog and some rudder pedals today. poo poo is magic.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So, when I'm on the main page the DCS website, I'm logged in. As soon as I go off the page, I'm not logged in. If I type in my username and password, it take me to the main page, so I click on my cart.

And now I'm not logged in...

edit

Shanakin posted:

Turn on cookies.

Yeah, they're on. I may try deleting, but my internet is being rear end right now anyways, so I might just try tomorrow

edit 2:

Aha! Delete cookies from that site, works now.

Internet is still rear end though

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 20, 2013

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Infinotize posted:

How can I tell if I have black shark 1 vs 2? I bought 2 and downloaded the module. Now with the module manager it just says black shark and option to buy black shark 2. Since I manually installed 2 when I bought it I assume it's lying? Is there a way I can tell by checking a certain Ka50 or campaign feature? (I never played v1)

You could check your profile to see if you bought BS1 or BS2 I guess.

edit:

Jonny Nox posted:

So, when I'm on the main page the DCS website, I'm logged in. As soon as I go off the page, I'm not logged in. If I type in my username and password, it take me to the main page, so I click on my cart.

And now I'm not logged in...

Turn on cookies.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Falken posted:

What is the procedure for relighting a cold stove on the A-10C? 90% of the time when I try it, the RPM for the particular engine sits around 10/30rpm. I've managed it once or twice but no idea how.

e: NVM, seem to have gotten it. APU on, APU GEN PWR, restart the engine. Seems to trigger if I push the throttle forward then back to idle?

You already got the answer but if you're in the air and for whatever reason don't want to just lawndart the plane into the ground and get a new one you can also try a windmill start. The A-10 climbs about as well as a WWII fighter on one engine so if you have the patience you can trim it out and climb to 10,000 feet if you're not already there (you can get away with 8000 feet if you're near the coast where the ground is flat and close to sea level). While you're heading up you can set the appropriate "Eng Oper" switch just next to the throttles to "Motor" by left-clicking them once. Leave it there for about 30 seconds, this cleans out all the old fuel and oil from the engine and leaves it pristine, assuming the engine hasn't got a giant hole through it because you flew too close to a ZU-23. Once you've run the motor for 30 seconds you can turn it off again by setting the "Eng oper" switch to the middle position. Remember where it is though because you'll need it again in a second.

Once you're at 10,000 feet, it's time to pretend you're flying the Vomit Comet. Set the throttle of the dead engine to idle, push the nose down to about 45°, then wait. The dead engine should start spooling up due to the airflow through it. When it stops increasing in RPM, find that "Eng Oper" switch again and this time right click and hold it to set it to the "Ignite" position. If you've done everything right, the engine is still intact, and the sky gods are smiling on you, then the engine should start up again and you can hopefully pull out of the ridiculous dive I just told you to put yourself in.

Fair warning, I've never gotten a windmill start like this to work properly myself, largely because when I do have engine troubles it's because some Russian jerk put a 12.7mm bullet through my engine. For some reason jet engines don't like getting bullets through them. Seems like a design flaw to me.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Either that or they should just keep them away from places where bullets are.

Makrond posted:

Fair warning, I've never gotten a windmill start like this to work properly myself, largely because when I do have engine troubles it's because some Russian jerk put a 12.7mm bullet through my engine. For some reason jet engines don't like getting bullets through them. Seems like a design flaw to me.

Please tell me there are videos of this. :allears:

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Windmill starts? Sure. This one is my personal favourite mostly because it captures how terrifying it is to suddenly lose your engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eevB23-iUI

edit: I almost forgot that it's important to turn off bleed air on the right side panel (near the pitot heater and oxygen controls) and turn on cross feed on the fuel panel (up the front, near the boost pump switches).

Makrond fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 20, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

10k ASL is still fine for APU starts though, you need to do windmill starts if you're up around 15-20k.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Infinotize posted:

I thought Black Shark 1 didn't integrate with DCS world?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It doesn't but it still needs to be installed for the Bs2 module to function.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Kilonum posted:

A2A's Boeing 377 with the Accusim Captain of the Ship addon.

:spergin:

EDIT: landed it at KORH.

METAR at the time: SPECI KORH 181818Z 01009G19KT 1SM R11/3000VP6000FT +RA BR FEW006 BKN011 OVC021 17/16 A2993 RMK AO2 P0020 T01670161

Haha that's cute...somebody needs to model this though

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/062/B-36J%20Engineer.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McDeth posted:

Haha that's cute...somebody needs to model this though

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/media/062/B-36J%20Engineer.html

Call it Fire Fight Sim X.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So.....that TM Warthog stick? Yea it feels like using something absurdly high-end just to get all the switches to work using the TM software. It's really only truly plug n play with DCS A-10.

I'm having to really work at getting it all functioning with Falcon BMS.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
There is probably a TARGET script that you can use for falconBMS. It should configure the stick for it fine. One of the stock profiles in TARGET GUI is FalconAF. but I don't know if thats the same thing, or close enough you can use as a base to make your own profile. There should be A TARGET profile around for it somewhere though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I did find one. Making sense of the shift commands and whatnot is kinda confusing for me because I'm still in that "the gently caress is going on?" phase with the Falcon. I'll get it soon enough.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone had experience with A2A's Accu-Feel for FSX? It looks good to me but wanted to hear other's opinions before dropping cash on it.

One thing I liked is the sound of the tyres when landing. I've got a Carenado Cessna I bought which is really great except landings are always very boring as you barely hear a thing while you land. Would Accu-feel be the best option for improving this?

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Any recommendations for the DCS sale? I already own FC3 and A10C..

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Black Shark is fun. The chopper itself is very Russian and by that I mean incredibly inelegant.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Do any of them include additional maps? Would be nice to get a change of scenery from the Caucasus map.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

A-10 will have Nevada.

One day.

it's been 3 years ED, but go on, keep churning out modules

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Are the DCS chopper sims (especially UH-1) flyable without pedals, extra throttles etc? Looking at picking one or two up while they're on sale but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of equipment. A-10C works fine with my cheap joystick but I get the feeling a helicopter would be tougher to fly without the proper controls.

deck
Jul 13, 2006

You need a joystick with twist and throttle. And stubborn determination.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Picked up Flaming Cliffs 3. Continued to be bad at flight sims.

:downs:

The cockpit for the F-15 is really nice, I just wish I could click on things.

e; I have no idea how my fins ended up like that. They were fine before landing and trashing my gear.

A few more pics.

Me getting blown up. So much for that perfect 100-0 combat record.

An A-10 firing a Maverick.

MiG-29 gets an engine blown out.

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 21, 2013

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

I thought Black Shark 1 didn't integrate with DCS world?

Well that solves that

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

The Geoff posted:

Are the DCS chopper sims (especially UH-1) flyable without pedals, extra throttles etc? Looking at picking one or two up while they're on sale but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of equipment. A-10C works fine with my cheap joystick but I get the feeling a helicopter would be tougher to fly without the proper controls.

The KA-50, yeah, you can fly that without pedals. Just a twist stick rudder. It's not ideal, but I've done it and it's not bad at all.

The Huey is FAR more temperamental about rudder control, and the cyclic stick is enough of a handful without having to keep it twisted properly at all times.

There is the "add force trim to rudder pedals" in the options mode for the UH-1. That might make flying it with a twist stick easier.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 21, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Combined Arms is a lot of fun. It's annoyingly light on content for the price (no campaign, only 12 MP and 13 SP missions included) and you can't use the quick mission generator to make a CA mission so you have to get used to using the mission editor*, setting up simple tank duels or sometimes a turkey shoot with AA vehicles and transport helos when I just want to see things crash, but man I'm just having too much fun driving tanks around and tangling with ground attack aircraft in AA vehicles. Also I'm really bad at it:

Barrel-launched ATGMs :arghfist:

*I've found that one way to make a fast mission is to use the generator inside the full editor and make a mission for one of the aircraft, and then just switch the player aircraft to AI and add in a ground command/JTAC slot for ground vehicle driving

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

DCS newsletter posted:

The Next Eagle Dynamics DCS Modules

Later this year, we will offer:
A-10A: DCS Flaming Cliffs
Su-25: DCS Flaming Cliffs
F-15C: DCS Flaming Cliffs
Su-27: DCS Flaming Cliffs
This modules will feature:
1- Detailed 3D model (high polygon / high res textures)
2- 6 DOF cockpit
3- AFM
4- Lock On level cockpit systems
$19.99 USD at release

quote:

We also want to release these aircraft in such a manner to allow users that are not interested in Flaming Cliffs 3, or do not have a Lock On installation, to still have these aircraft in their DCS World stable of aircraft, but at a greatly reduced price.

wags posted:

There has been no decision in Moscow regarding the availability of the new advanced flight models to the FC3 aircraft. While there is discussion of making this available as an FC3 upgrade at a lower cost than the full module, I can say with confidence that they will not be made available for free given the large time and financial investment. When I am told the final decision on this matter I will post it.

Other FC3 aircraft will be improved as well (like the Su-27, Su-25, F-15C and A-10A). When they are further along, we will discuss them.

So basically 20bux for individual planes from FC3 with the advanced flight model instead of the more simple FC3 flight model and 6dof cockpits (non clickable). Would've liked that extra stuff rolled into FC3 for free but I guess they need to make cash. I wonder if they'll release additional similar lightly simulated planes in the future. I would be interested in a Tornado or other non Russian/US planes.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Thanks for the heads up guys, my joystick doesn't even twist for rudder so it looks like the chopper sims aren't an option at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Geoff posted:

Thanks for the heads up guys, my joystick doesn't even twist for rudder so it looks like the chopper sims aren't an option at the moment.

There's an option in the settings for "Auto Rudder". I haven't used it because I have pedals, but I bet it would do what you need until you get something twisty.