Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrYenko posted:

So... What's it for?

Pontiac Bonneville 1966.

Had it rebuilt in October 2010. The thread is in archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TrueChaos posted:

A guy I used to work with died around Christmas time 2011 when a truck had a full wheel/tire fall off the truck, bounce across the median, and slam into his windshield.

:(

My mom's cousin's husband was killed by one about 20 years ago. Had his young son in the passenger seat too (thankfully, he lived, but terrible).
Check your lug nuts.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Breaking up dead chat for a moment,

"I clipped a curb'

"

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

"I clipped a curb'

"

And the grand total for repairs came to...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Toe-out LF/RR, toe-in RF/LR? drat.

I bet if the Corsica I borrowed had ever ended up on an alignment rack, it would've looked similar. When driving down the road, the steering was relatively on-center and didn't pull much.

When on an emissions dyno so that only the front wheels were doing anything, the wheel had to be cranked 90 degrees to the right to keep it from trying to drive left off of the rollers.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

"I clipped a curb'

"

Is the software making a mockery of how badly they hosed the car up or were the wheels really that out of whack?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's exagerated for easy visibility but the wheels really were that hosed up. It drove....interesting. they decided to just take it home.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

It's exagerated for easy visibility but the wheels really were that hosed up. It drove....interesting. they decided to just take it home.

:doh: OF COURSE THEY DID

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why would they get you to put it on the jig if they didn't want it given an alignment?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

Why would they get you to put it on the jig if they didn't want it given an alignment?

"Oh I just wanna see." Plus newer machines the had just clamps onto the tire tread, so it takes like 30 seconds to set up.

Some places will check it for free, you only pay if adjustments are made. I know at the chain I work at (but not my particular store) they have a quick-check ground-level machine where the service writers pull the car in, hook the heads up and measure camber and toe on every car that comes in; they do it so that selling an alignment has some weight behind it, not just "oh it's been a while and your tires are a little chopped," which doesn't sway a lot of people.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

To see how hilariously bad it was. You know you'd do the same for every banger you got your hands on if it was free :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

Throw it on the rack hoping it's a quick adjustment then find out it's new struts/control arms/etc. $50 alignment job vs hundreds in parts + labor.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Something horrible happened on the way to work this morning:

The handle snapped off right as I was shifting into 3rd at about 30mph under light/moderate acceleration, nothing outrageous. Fortunately I was able to safely pull off into a parking lot without incident and after assessing the damage; I was able to manipulate what's left of the shift lever enough to make it the rest of the way to work and back home. The new shifter will be here in a few days. More pics to come then.

I'll admit I have fun with my car on occasion, but I know better than to abuse it since it's my only vehicle. I've been in and around cars for nearly my entire life and have spent the better part of a decade in the auto repair business and I've never seen or heard of this happening before. :wtf:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Root Bear posted:

I've never seen or heard of this happening before.
:flaccid: Honestly, baby, this has never happened to me before! :flaccid:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

"I clipped a curb'

"

The other day I saw a Ford Ranger heading north up Aurora that had clearly been hit in the front. It had visible toe in from 50 feet away and was howling at 20 mph like the dude was on a skidpad. I kept my distance so no photos unfortunately.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Root Bear posted:

The handle snapped off right as I was shifting into 3rd at about 30mph under light/moderate acceleration, nothing outrageous. Fortunately I was able to safely pull off into a parking lot without incident and after assessing the damage; I was able to manipulate what's left of the shift lever enough to make it the rest of the way to work and back home. The new shifter will be here in a few days. More pics to come then.

I'll admit I have fun with my car on occasion, but I know better than to abuse it since it's my only vehicle. I've been in and around cars for nearly my entire life and have spent the better part of a decade in the auto repair business and I've never seen or heard of this happening before. :wtf:

Haha this is great, commodores do this all the time and I'm glad that little feature made it all the way across the atlantic :australia:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Das Volk posted:

Is the software making a mockery of how badly they hosed the car up or were the wheels really that out of whack?

When I replaced my bushings for poly ones allround the allignment software showed a simmilar picture, although not to such an extreme as in that picture. To be fair it didnt feel too bad, maybe a bit twitchy. I rushed to get an alignment after driving in the rain though as it was abseloutely lethal. :v:

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Root Bear posted:

Good luck with the install of the new shifter. I put a GMM Ripshift in my '04 and it was one of the most tedious things I've ever done. There's one bolt that you can only get 1/8 of a turn on at a time with the clearance between the tranny and the tunnel. If you're OK with it, you might want to drop the exhaust and the transmission brace to give yourself more room. If I had to do it all over again, I would just drill a hole in the tunnel from the top (or buy a set of ratcheting box wrenches). Also, Locktite the poo poo out of everything.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

"Oh I just wanna see." Plus newer machines the had just clamps onto the tire tread, so it takes like 30 seconds to set up.

Some places will check it for free, you only pay if adjustments are made. I know at the chain I work at (but not my particular store) they have a quick-check ground-level machine where the service writers pull the car in, hook the heads up and measure camber and toe on every car that comes in; they do it so that selling an alignment has some weight behind it, not just "oh it's been a while and your tires are a little chopped," which doesn't sway a lot of people.

Your lucky you dont have em. We gotta roll EVERY SINGLE goddamn car even if they came in for an alignment originally. Also service writers are supposed to do it but ours never ever loving do it so we have to even tho I had to sign a paper saying its everyones responsibility. Just so it looks like were sellin em and the bosses get bonuses. Better yet the stupid auditor machine cost our store 20 grand and is rediculously off consistantly. You can align a car perfect and then "roll it" on the auditor to make numbers and the auditor will tell you its way off in the red. It is bullshit.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 20, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That sounds like the bearing plates/spinny things you park the tires on while doing the alignment are binding up and making you adjust each setting further than you should, then the machine freaks out when you move the car and the suspension relaxes back to its normal position so now everything's been adjusted too far.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Not really a mechanical failure. More like a stupid user failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JZoDpLwUp0

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Runaway truck ramp failure in Nevada. So far the Mount Rose ramp has killed 4 truckers in the last couple of years. The best one is where they launched his truck off the end of the ramp and into a house.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Reports on that incident:
http://www.warontruckers.com/index.php/mt-rose-truck-crash

http://www.laketahoenews.net/2012/04/nevada-analyzing-runaway-truck-ramps/

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nitr0 posted:

Not really a mechanical failure. More like a stupid user failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JZoDpLwUp0

Pelican Parts price on a N63 short block: $26509.50

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IV8 can you please explain to me exactly what truck ramps are meant to do? How does crashing the truck into a big mound of whatever help anything?

We don't have them here (or really, really big trucks for that matter) so I don't really get the circumstances that they're supposed to be useful in. Are they just dotted around everywhere because brake failures on trucks are really common? Or are they put in certain places because brakes fail more often there? Or something...?

American roads are weird.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I only see truck ramps in areas where there's a long steep downhill portion on an interstate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

They're called escape roads in the UK, the gravel slows vehicles down very effectively (if it's not overgrown with weeds and grass), they're placed down long steep hills that give a higher risk of causing brake failures

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Slavvy posted:

IV8 can you please explain to me exactly what truck ramps are meant to do? How does crashing the truck into a big mound of whatever help anything?

We don't have them here (or really, really big trucks for that matter) so I don't really get the circumstances that they're supposed to be useful in. Are they just dotted around everywhere because brake failures on trucks are really common? Or are they put in certain places because brakes fail more often there? Or something...?

They're put on the downgrade side of long, steep hills, because brakes are more likely to fail when they're overworked, and because that's obviously one of the most dangerous places for a brake failure (on a long straight road, you can just coast to a stop). The idea isn't that they're there "a big mound of whatever" to crash the truck into, either. It's more like a giant gravel pit built on a level or slightly uphill slope, that the truck can get bogged down in gradually. Just crashing a heavily loaded truck likely moving at 60-90 mph into something would not be a good result for the driver.

Also, they're not just an American thing. Physics means that anybody in a place with steep downgrades and heavy vehicles is going to come up with pretty much the same design.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavvy posted:

Where are you? They're all over the world (where there are mountains)

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Slavvy posted:

It doesn't help to crash it into a mound, that's the problem.

http://youtu.be/_dEQwZxvum4

This is a bad ramp.

http://youtu.be/14bZx3Jcu20

This is a good ramp.

Think of a sand trap/gravel trap on a race track. You sink in and it slows you down, hopefully before you come to the end. They also use different systems.

http://youtu.be/X70f0zzVENI

http://youtu.be/h-VbZb3q_T8

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It's good to see Lamborghini is going back to their roots.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I wouldn't put too much faith in that particular ramp.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

xp67 posted:

Maybe it's just the camera angle, but I wouldn't put too much faith in that particular ramp.

Even if it sloped down with the road there aren't many vehicles on the roads that would get to the end, even deliberately.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm in new Zealand, we have an upper weight limit on our trucks that was only lifted recently. There are no such ramps in the north island, where I live, as far as I've seen. There may be some in the south island but I'm not aware of it. The overwhelming majority of very long straight sloped roads are motorways which are totally enclosed; there aren't many (or any) mountain roads I can think of that trucks actually use because most mountains are usually circumvented.

This is really interesting and I genuinely had no idea such things existed until reading this forum!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Go home valves, you're drunk.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

Go home valves, you're drunk.

Buy 7 new valves and a pot of lapping compound. gtg.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Slavvy posted:

I'm in new Zealand, we have an upper weight limit on our trucks that was only lifted recently. There are no such ramps in the north island, where I live, as far as I've seen. There may be some in the south island but I'm not aware of it. The overwhelming majority of very long straight sloped roads are motorways which are totally enclosed; there aren't many (or any) mountain roads I can think of that trucks actually use because most mountains are usually circumvented.

This is really interesting and I genuinely had no idea such things existed until reading this forum!

Suprised you hadn't heard of them. Maybe the NZ government is just waiting for people to die first then worry about it?
Perth is pretty flat, we have like one hill trucks need to drive over, and at the bottom of that hill we have a truck arrestor bed because a few years ago a truck's brakes failed and it killed a few people.
I hope the bay works though if needed, because it points to a fair few houses behind that may get a rude suprise if it doesn't work.
http://goo.gl/maps/WdK9M

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavvy posted:

You're in luck!

Sort of. This one's on the south island.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=&hl=en&ll=-44.041063,169.381333&spn=0.00268,0.005681&t=k&z=18

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've been all over the north island and never seen one, I guess because there are real mountains down there they're necessary. Now that I know how they're marked in NZ I'll keep an eye out!

...also must buy a supermotard now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
here's some screwy things on my car:

Crossthreaded the bolt here, found a like-size wingnut

And this made my life a living hell for a while: