Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm a bad person for laughing at nazi ska, but I must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
You know they're serious when they tell you to pick it up, pick it up, pick it up.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Gabbleduck posted:

You know they're serious when they tell you to pick it up, pick it up, pick it up.

yeah thats not what they're saying

listen closer for the magic word

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
They probably have guys who argue second-reich ska was way more cooler than third-reich ska. Too many fair weather Nazi's.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Man, the original Kristallnachte by Charlemagne-88 was so much better than the re-recording by Schutzstaffel Meinkampf.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I get the feeling I don't want to be in their skank pit.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I get the feeling I don't want to be in their skank pit.

All that goose-stepping hurts when you catch a jackboot to the shin
Edit: Also the fact that nazi ska exists makes the ska Star of David avatars people ITT have even more hilarious

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOr78bf4iQ

Man I hope I still have that shirt somewhere.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

Beowulf posted:

All that goose-stepping hurts when you catch a jackboot to the shin
Edit: Also the fact that nazi ska exists makes the ska Star of David avatars people ITT have even more hilarious

I once took a combat boot to the back of my knee while the Aggrolites were opening for the Dropkick Murphys. No Nazis were involved but the angle and force of the kick dislocated my knee and hyper-extended my leg below the knee. Kind of ruined the rest of the show. Sort of wished Mr. Hardcore Guy had been a Nazi. Then the skinheads I had be chatting and skanking with could have kicked his rear end instead of propping me up while I accepted the dude's half-hearted apology.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Boo Nazi Ska for overtaking any Apple Stomp reviews. I think the lineup on the second night was a lot better than the first. It was a huge shame most of the bands only got half an hour though. Hopefully if they do it again they choose a better venue, one that will let you leave and come back. Having a show go from 4PM-12:30AM with no re-entry is ridiculous.

Also, Kill Lincoln at the 2nd after party was awesome.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
So both of the new Big D albums came out yesterday and I was listening to them on the bandcamp.

Stomp is pretty solid, but I don't think it's anything special. I kinda like Stepping Out and Pinball bu the rest are kind of mediocre.

Stroll I don't like so much. None of the songs really stick out to me and it reminds me more of Fluent in Stroll than anything else and that album was pretty bad.

I'll probably end up skipping on buying either of these to be honest

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stomp sounds a lot like their older music and it's not really for me. I guess if you like albums like Good Luck you'll like it. I don't really like any of their albums before Gypsy Hill.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Stomp isn't bad, but I'm pretty unimpressed with Stroll. Although I don't know what I was expecting, I hated Fluent in Stroll.

In other news, $10 Suburban Legends show next month :woop: I'm not sure they're playing with anybody, which will be cool, since I've never seen them play a full set, just opening for Reel Big Fish / Streetlight.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Streetlight, who's opening for them on this tour? I've got tickets for Thursday and I want to know if I can skip the opening band.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Speaking of Streetlight, who's opening for them on this tour? I've got tickets for Thursday and I want to know if I can skip the opening band.

I'm seeing them Friday and the openers are Empty Orchestra and Rodeo Ruby Love, according to the venue's site.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
They just posted their last two shows. I wanna go to this poo poo so bad.

quote:

We are proud to announce that as The End of The Beginning tour begins TONIGHT in New Haven, CT – we have also secured the FINAL two shows that will finish out our last year of touring: two nights, November 15th and 16th at Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, New Jersey. This final two night stand will be called “The End Of The End Of Beginning” and each of the two nights will feature completely unique sets including songs from all of our records and plenty of surprises. Come on out and celebrate the end of 10 years of non-stop touring with us!

quote:

for the most part, these will be the last times we ever play these cities.
goddammit :(

So this thing with Victory is keeping either version of THTT from being pressed or just Toh Kay?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh gently caress I'm gonna have to go to both of those Sayreville shows huh. I mean, I live literally five minutes away, so I have to, right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mogran posted:

They just posted their last two shows. I wanna go to this poo poo so bad.

goddammit :(

So this thing with Victory is keeping either version of THTT from being pressed or just Toh Kay?

The Toh Kay one won't exist at all, physically, the Streetlight one is only available on CD and not from the band.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

Don't be that guy that skips the opening bands. Go and experience new bands.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

nasboat posted:

I'm seeing them Friday and the openers are Empty Orchestra and Rodeo Ruby Love, according to the venue's site.

I'm going Friday, too.

Also, we played with RRL a few days ago, and I can vouch that in addition to being a really good band, they're generally nice/cool people, too. So don't skip 'em.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Don't be that guy that skips the opening bands. Go and experience new bands.

Except sometimes if I don't see openers listed it means they're the same lovely Rochester bands I always see plus Mrs. Skanotto (if they're still together).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think I'm the only one who prefers Stroll over Stomp. Stomp just sounds like generic run-of-the-mill ska to me. Nothing really stands out about it or seems unique about it. Maybe if I listened to it more it'd leave an impression on me, but right now I can't even remember any of the songs they all just kinda blend together into one bluh mess. I mean it's not bad, it's just... :geno: Stroll, while not super groundbreakingly good or anything, at least left more of an impression with me - Knife and Lynn Lynn the City of Sin both stuck with me as good songs, and I want to listen through it again to see what else will stick with me (since I was half asleep the first time I listened to it). The songs aren't all grea,t but at least they're all fairly unique and feel like they have some more effort put forth towards them. It isn't ska, but it's got a nice jazzy, reggae feel.

Granted, I'm one of the four people that enjoyed Fluent in Stroll, so.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 20, 2013

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
My wife, a friends of ours, and myself are seeing Streetlight on Sunday. I just wish we would have revived all the stuff we ordered for THTT so we could have gotten it signed.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dickeye, I'd love to get an idea of whether or not they've tweaked their setlist for the EOTB tour, feel free to give a recap of the show tonight. I'm sure it will be good either way but I was kind of disappointed that they didn't seem to be doing much from the new album at their shows in May (also a lack of the best songs from EGN, i.e. the title track, That'll Be The Day, and only occasionally playing Point/Counterpoint)

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Seein Streetlight on Saturday. Worth the drive to Grand Rapids to get to see them on the final tour.

Wish I could afford to go to the NJ shows but alas.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Got my mega bundle from Streetlight today. The shirts and hoodie are nice, but the two posters are really small and are honestly kinda awkward, but whatever. No cds but no surprise there. Speaking of the albums, Kalnoky likes writing stuff in the booklets about how he writes the songs, and his inspirations for each one - does anyone have a physical copy of THTT and knows if it has similar notes? Or has no one here bought one because gently caress record labels?

Also, after a few more listens Stomp has grown on me a bit more, there are some good songs there.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 21, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nasboat posted:

Dickeye, I'd love to get an idea of whether or not they've tweaked their setlist for the EOTB tour, feel free to give a recap of the show tonight. I'm sure it will be good either way but I was kind of disappointed that they didn't seem to be doing much from the new album at their shows in May (also a lack of the best songs from EGN, i.e. the title track, That'll Be The Day, and only occasionally playing Point/Counterpoint)

They played Annie and The Big Sleep last night and that was all I give a poo poo about it.

e: In no particular order, what I remember them playing:

The Three of Us
We Will Fall Together
Mephisto's Cafe
Better Place Better Time
Would You Be Impressed
A Moment of Silence
The Hands that Thieve
Oh Me Oh My
Toe to Toe
The Big Sleep

And the encore was Here's to Life and Somewhere in the Between

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 21, 2013

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dickeye posted:

The Hands that Thieve

:woop:

gently caress yeah, don't think they'd been playing the title track recently. Show is gonna be great, I can already tell.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
As long as The Big Sleep & Better Place Better Time are still in rotation I am more than happy. Trying to make it to the Ventura show, fingers crossed!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lieutenant Dan posted:

As long as The Big Sleep & Better Place Better Time are still in rotation I am more than happy. Trying to make it to the Ventura show, fingers crossed!

Gonna be honest, there's a lot of stuff I wish they had played (Ungrateful, Watch it Crash, Point Keasbypoint), but Big Sleep made up for it all.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Gonna be honest, there's a lot of stuff I wish they had played (Ungrateful, Watch it Crash, Point Keasbypoint), but Big Sleep made up for it all.

I think we pretty much got the exact same setlist. Killer show, but I would have the same general complaints (didn't play Everything Went Numb, That'll Be The Day, Point Counterpoint/Keasbey, Watch It Crash, The Littlest Things or They Broke Him Down). Would much rather have had a few of those songs swapped in instead of, say, most of the stuff they played off SITB (Would You Be Impressed, Mephisto's Cafe, Forty Days).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nasboat posted:

I think we pretty much got the exact same setlist. Killer show, but I would have the same general complaints (didn't play Everything Went Numb, That'll Be The Day, Point Counterpoint/Keasbey, Watch It Crash, The Littlest Things or They Broke Him Down). Would much rather have had a few of those songs swapped in instead of, say, most of the stuff they played off SITB (Would You Be Impressed, Mephisto's Cafe, Forty Days).

Nah, I'd rather have Mephisto over basically any of that stuff. That was the first song of SitB that really hooked me back in senior year so getting to see it live was amazing. Would've liked to see something like We Are The Few though.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*
Well, that was the craziest show I've ever been to. Lots of bruises.

Also, some kid lost his glasses about fifteen seconds to the first song (we were dead center, about thirty feet from the stage, so pretty much the middle of the pit). I had to tell him, "sorry kid, but you're never going to find them."

As we were leaving after the show, I did find a pair of glasses, pretzel-twisted and lensless, on the ground among the beer cups. Don't bring your glasses into the pit, folks!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Also, some kid lost his glasses about fifteen seconds to the first song (we were dead center, about thirty feet from the stage, so pretty much the middle of the pit). I had to tell him, "sorry kid, but you're never going to find them."

As we were leaving after the show, I did find a pair of glasses, pretzel-twisted and lensless, on the ground among the beer cups. Don't bring your glasses into the pit, folks!

sounds like you weren't too far from where I was. There was a group using a phone/flashlight to try to find something on the ground for about 3 minutes at one point, I wanted to tell them it was a pointless idea but I just watched the show instead, haha.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy

nasboat posted:

sounds like you weren't too far from where I was. There was a group using a phone/flashlight to try to find something on the ground for about 3 minutes at one point, I wanted to tell them it was a pointless idea but I just watched the show instead, haha.

Someone offered me a pair of glasses at some point during the show, I guess I was near you guys as well.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was almost hoping for the guy trying to crowd surf during the opening acts would succeed. I am not sure whether he did or not, that black bouncer was having none of his poo poo.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
No With Any Sort of Certainty?

But seeing Toe to Toe makes me happy.

HisFlyingFingers
Jan 7, 2006

*~Weekend Lovers~*

TLG James posted:

I'm pretty sure they did in fact play With Any Sort Of Certainty in Cincinnati.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TLG James posted:

99% sure this is one of the things they played that I forgot.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

HisFlyingFingers posted:

I'm pretty sure they did in fact play With Any Sort Of Certainty in Cincinnati.

They did, 100%. I have video of the crowd singing along with the chorus when the music drops. :allears:

to the best of my knowledge, the setlist was:

The Three Of Us
Down, Down, Down To Mephisto's Cafe
We Will Fall Together
With Any Sort Of Certainty
Would You Be Impressed?
A Better Place, A Better Time
Toe To Toe
40 Days
The Hands That Thieve
A Moment Of Silence
A Moment Of Violence
Oh Me, Oh My
The Big Sleep

Encore:
Here's To Life
Somewhere In The Between

I swear there's one missing but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. :(

e: for the record, if you heard someone yell 'gently caress VICTORY RECORDS' before they played The Hands That Thieve (after Tomas asked if we had all stolen the new album off the internet by now), that was me

nasboat fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

HisFlyingFingers posted:

Ha, I lost a lens from my glasses at a Streetlight concert back in 2004. Of course, there really wasn't much area in there that wasn't the pit, so there wasn't a whole lot that could be done other than simply not wearing them to the show at all.