Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Leperflesh posted:

There is an entire industry around teaching people how to drive. Call up any driver's ed place and tell them you want to learn stick.

So far my luck with this suggestion has not been great. Of the seven schools I've called so far, two are just defensive driving (ticket dismissal) schools, and the other 5 that do have behind the wheel training are automatic only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

That's up to you. I personally like new cars and choose to spend a portion of my disposable income on them. It's not a smart financial decision academically speaking. The sweet spot is buying 2 to 3 year old used/cpo vehicles and dumping them after 2 to 3 years.

Is that true anymore? The used car market was ridiculous as of last year, and the depreciation hit on popular cars seemed so low as to justify buying new whenever possible.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Agronox posted:

You're setting yourself up to have buyer's remorse no matter what. :(

If you like the Fusion, have the money, and like the deal, pull the trigger. There's nothing obviously terrible about the car, and if money concerns aren't a big deal, I'd advise anyone who isn't a gear head to go new.

Thanks I'll blame you for any negative feelings I'll have later.

skipdogg posted:

That's up to you. I personally like new cars and choose to spend a portion of my disposable income on them. It's not a smart financial decision academically speaking. The sweet spot is buying 2 to 3 year old used/cpo vehicles and dumping them after 2 to 3 years. Years 3 to 6 tend to be very reliable mechanically speaking, but easy on the depreciation curve.

ARGH why can't a 100 AI posters give me clear, unanimous direction! I'm a follower not a leader!

Agronox posted:

Is that true anymore? The used car market was ridiculous as of last year, and the depreciation hit on popular cars seemed so low as to justify buying new whenever possible.

Popular sedan models still seem pretty pricey for used, as do all light SUVs and crossovers. But Mazda6s and the ugly but functional Malibu are going for cheap. same with most unpopular GMs. I've been tracking prices fairly regularly for the past few months.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 21, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those particular cars are cheaper not because they're used, but because they've been replaced with considerably better models. When you look at one/two year old mass-market used cars that are still functionally identical to the new ones...there's gently caress-all of a break these days. If I had bought a used 2012 CR-V instead of my new 2013, I estimate I would've saved at absolute most about $1000 (and some of that would've been eaten up by paying more on interest) and would've had 20k miles on it to start instead of eight.

If money isn't the issue, I'd be leaning towards the Fusion.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Bit of a weird situation here, but...

About a month ago, I bought a new car. It's a piece of poo poo and I absolutely hate it, and want a different car.

My question is, is there any way to apply my current loan (acquired through the dealership) to a new car? Or would I need to set up a new loan?

Also, will doing so gently caress with my credit score at all?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Agronox posted:

For some cars it isn't. Especially smaller more fuel efficient cars that tend to be on the less expensive side (under 25K). Those are holding value really well.

Other cars though are still taking a big hit. I've been looking at CPO Taurus SHO's and Lincoln MKS EcoBoost models, and the Lincolns have taken a huge hit. 55K MSRP cars going for 27K barely 3 years old with 35K miles on them. The SHO's are hovering in the 27 to 30K range and most of them MSRP'd at 44.5K or so.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

For some cars it isn't. Especially smaller more fuel efficient cars that tend to be on the less expensive side (under 25K). Those are holding value really well.

Other cars though are still taking a big hit. I've been looking at CPO Taurus SHO's and Lincoln MKS EcoBoost models, and the Lincolns have taken a huge hit. 55K MSRP cars going for 27K barely 3 years old with 35K miles on them. The SHO's are hovering in the 27 to 30K range and most of them MSRP'd at 44.5K or so.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense--I'd only really paid attention to compacts. Used Hondas were absurd.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Augmented Dickey posted:

About a month ago, I bought a new car. It's a piece of poo poo and I absolutely hate it, and want a different car.

My question is, is there any way to apply my current loan (acquired through the dealership) to a new car? Or would I need to set up a new loan?

I can't really help you, but I'm curious - what did you buy?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

Every car loan I've had is tied to the VIN of the car. If you do this, they will use the trade in value to pay off the loan balance, and open a new loan for the new car.

Whether there is any positive or negative equity being rolled into your new car depends on what you trade, what your down payment was, and what you buy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

skipdogg posted:

I was looking at SHO's and ya its crazy how much car you can get for comparatively cheap. However, I think there is a big upgrade between model years (whenever they changed the grill and put in bigger brakes) so I can see that causing a big price difference.

If I could I think I would buy a SHO, put it on police steelies with an aftermarket exhaust and chip and roll around like robocop.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Psimitry posted:

I can't really help you, but I'm curious - what did you buy?

A 2013 Impreza. The interior is simply garbage; there are loud rattles resonating from every corner of the cabin. I've taken it to the dealer three times; they 'fix' it and the rattles return after three or four days.

Also, I just can't get used to the CVT. The lack of on-demand power makes driving on Houston highways a terrifying experience.

I plan on looking at a CPO 2010 Genesis Coupe this weekend; we'll see how that goes.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 21, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Eh, again the problem with cars like the MKS and SHO is that in all honesty they really weren't *that* good, so They really had to dump the incentives on them to get rid of the stock. I really doubt any of those cars went for anywhere near MSRP new, especially the Lincoln.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Lincoln's definitely didn't. 5K off sticker before incentives is realistic on a new MKS EB with the 202A pack. The SHO's seem to depend on market. Some places they get snapped up quick, others they sit around for a while. I did see a big lease incentive on the 2013's a while ago, almost 3500 bucks, so maybe the idea of a 45,000 dollar Taurus really doesn't fly. I'm hoping to grab an off lease 2013 sometime in 2015 or 2016 for a song.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

A 2013 Impreza. The interior is simply garbage; there are loud rattles resonating from every corner of the cabin. I've taken it to the dealer three times; they 'fix' it and the rattles return after three or four days.

:siren: HOLD ON :siren:

If you have a recurring problem that the dealer is unable to resolve - do yourself a huge favor and look into your state's lemon laws. Different states have different criteria on what qualifies but if your car can be qualified as a lemon, you stand to be in a much better situation in terms of getting the car bought back for what you paid, instead of what it's now worth as a used car.

Basically, look up your state's criteria, and if you think it's close already on number of visits and/or days in the shop, keep taking it in every time something new pops up.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!
Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4 door small SUV/crossover
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? This would be a 2nd vehicle for commuting and having enough space to haul extra people/cargo as needed.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Not really unless having satellite radio or an ipod connection counts.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliable with decent gas mileage. I'm looking for something along the lines of a Honda CRV; a boring utility car with more than 2 seats and some cargo room.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
Proposed Budget: 25k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4 door Sedan
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Commute to work. Current commute is 20-30 minutes each day, but potentially can be longer. I'm in the Military and likely to PCS (move) in the next year. I'd like to have AWD in the event I get stationed somewhere that has snow often.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) I would like a nice car with a nice interior. I've driven a 99 Tahoe for many years and it's finally dying and I want to replace it.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliable with good gas mileage. I've looked at used Cadillac CTS and Audi A4s. Please recommend something else as well. I will purchase the vehicle in October most likely and want to know what cars I should look at. I'd like to factor in repair costs into my decision making and I hear Audi's can be very expensive for basic repairs and maintenance.

agentq fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 22, 2013

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Agronox posted:

For economy cars used prices for 2-3 year old cars are still absurdly inflated to the point of justifying buying new.

For most everything else, you can pick up something a few years old for a huge discount and in all likelihood still have a very reliable car assuming you get it inspected and follow the maintenance schedule. They might cost a little more in upkeep costs, but you save so much on the purchase price (especially in the 3-5 year old range) it can often be worth it if you're looking for something more luxurious, sportier, unique, or larger than a compact economy car.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

:siren: HOLD ON :siren:

If you have a recurring problem that the dealer is unable to resolve - do yourself a huge favor and look into your state's lemon laws. Different states have different criteria on what qualifies but if your car can be qualified as a lemon, you stand to be in a much better situation in terms of getting the car bought back for what you paid, instead of what it's now worth as a used car.

Basically, look up your state's criteria, and if you think it's close already on number of visits and/or days in the shop, keep taking it in every time something new pops up.

I just looked into this- to be eligible, the defect would have to effect the operability of the car or present a major safety hazard. I think it would be quite tough to argue that interior rattles fit into either of those categories, unfortunately.

Also, this image is going to give me nightmares, so thanks for that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, again the problem with cars like the MKS and SHO is that in all honesty they really weren't *that* good, so They really had to dump the incentives on them to get rid of the stock. I really doubt any of those cars went for anywhere near MSRP new, especially the Lincoln.

The SHO was pretty good, it's just nobody actually wants a $45,000 Taurus.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
What sort of damage history is considered "acceptable" when considering a used car? Obviously nothing with the engine, but what are other STAY AWAY signs? And what are common damages that are not significant, but may be used to price lower?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CatchrNdRy posted:

What sort of damage history is considered "acceptable" when considering a used car? Obviously nothing with the engine, but what are other STAY AWAY signs? And what are common damages that are not significant, but may be used to price lower?

Another way to look at it: the more common the car you're looking at, the easier it should feel to walk away from a deal. One pretty imperfect measure of accident history is Carfax. But I'd take any Carfax with no accident history over one for a similar condition car with reported accidents.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Alright, so my Girlfriend must give her current car back to her Mother, since her Brother is coming of driving age soon, so it's time to start looking for a car for her.

Proposed Budget: $6000-$8000
Body Style: 2 Door/4 Door Hatch. Small cars preferred.
How will you be using the car?: Grocery Getting, Work Commuting
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, TCO, Automatic Transmission

Right now she drives a 2001 Toyota Echo. Aside from being the least reliable Toyota I've ever seen, she really likes this car, and somehow adores the center-mount speedometer, so she'd prefer another car with a center mount speedo.

An older Yaris is just out of that price range, otherwise it would be a no brainer. Any other ideas?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The last generation MINI had a center mounted speedo. Should be able to find one in your price range too.

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
Hi there guys; I've never posted in this subforum but I need to buy a car after not having one for a while. I'm looking at getting a Volvo S60 but it's difficult to look at cars because I live in a really small town about 3 hours in each direction from a major metro area. However, I used to have a Volvo V70 and had it worked on in this town though so that's not an issue; the main issue is just finding a reliable car online with my specs.

Proposed Budget: 8,000 - 13,000
New or Used: Basically looking for a used S60 without toooo many miles on it.
Body Style: 4 Door.
How will you be using the car?: To go to my job back and forth that is 30 miles away.
What aspects are most important to you? I just loved my Volvo and can afford a new one now. I just don't know how to go about looking for one; it seems like a rare car.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Redkist posted:

Hi there guys; I've never posted in this subforum but I need to buy a car after not having one for a while. I'm looking at getting a Volvo S60 but it's difficult to look at cars because I live in a really small town about 3 hours in each direction from a major metro area. However, I used to have a Volvo V70 and had it worked on in this town though so that's not an issue; the main issue is just finding a reliable car online with my specs.

Proposed Budget: 8,000 - 13,000
New or Used: Basically looking for a used S60 without toooo many miles on it.
Body Style: 4 Door.
How will you be using the car?: To go to my job back and forth that is 30 miles away.
What aspects are most important to you? I just loved my Volvo and can afford a new one now. I just don't know how to go about looking for one; it seems like a rare car.

Thanks for any and all advice.

http://www.autotempest.com/results/...=any&saleby=any

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
double post

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006
Proposed Budget: 10k to 15k
New or Used: Used, more than likely.
Body Style: 4 door compact.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver car. Mostly driving along inter-city freeways. Occasional long trips lasting up to a day.
What aspects are most important to you? A car model with a good history of reliability and durability is probably my top concern. Along with that, I appreciate agile and responsive cars more than powerful ones. I prefer at least average MPG for the size class, and don't mind which octane rating the car requires. Color does have an influence on my decision, and I lean towards cars that have a dark exterior and tan interior. I may end up replacing the radio, so I'd like a car that won't require me to discard half of my front panel just to have a non-stock radio in.

And a quick history to give an idea of what cars I'm familiar with and what I think of them.

Chrysler Crossfire: Currently borrowing this car. It's a great ride; it feels stable, powerful, the oil never seems to run out on it, it gets good mileage for my worth in it. I have had the option of getting one just like it, and I'd have taken it if it wasn't a two-seater.

2002 VW Beetle Turbo: My last car. Was thrashed internally, but comfortable to sit in nonetheless. A bit of a bumpy ride, but it was very responsive (even got me out of a bad situation when someone decided to push a light). Unfortunately, the car had a host of problems (beyond internals, it languished in a sort of repair hell) that resulted in the car getting junked.

Lincoln Mark LT: Drove this for quite a while. I appreciated the power of the truck, and it seems like the car commanded a sort of road respect from everyone else making it easier to drive than I thought. Then again, the thing was a giant, and was a pain to park in my school's deck (the back end stuck out the farthest in the line, always). Gas was not cheap for it, either.

Audi TT: Was the first car I drove with any consistency. Even with that in consideration, it felt like the most difficult car to drive out of the four. Memories are kind of weak on it, but I do remember it having problems starting up, and eventually the car was let go because it became too troublesome to fix.

Sorry if I'm not very clear on my history, though I hope it does help in making a suggestion.

Chronomaster fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 25, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Chronomaster posted:

Proposed Budget: 10k to 15k
New or Used: Used, more than likely.
Body Style: 4 door compact.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver car. Mostly driving along inter-city freeways. Occasional long trips lasting up to a day.
What aspects are most important to you? A car model with a good history of reliability and durability is probably my top concern. Along with that, I appreciate agile and responsive cars more than powerful ones. I prefer at least average MPG for the size class, and don't mind which octane rating the car requires. Color does have an influence on my decision, and I lean towards cars that have a dark exterior and tan interior. I may end up replacing the radio, so I'd like a car that won't require me to discard half of my front panel just to have a non-stock radio in.

And a quick history to give an idea of what cars I'm familiar with and what I think of them.

Chrysler Crossfire: Currently borrowing this car. It's a great ride; it feels stable, powerful, the oil never seems to run out on it, it gets good mileage for my worth in it. I have had the option of getting one just like it, and I'd have taken it if it wasn't a two-seater.

2002 VW Beetle Turbo: My last car. Was thrashed internally, but comfortable to sit in nonetheless. A bit of a bumpy ride, but it was very responsive (even got me out of a bad situation when someone decided to push a light). Unfortunately, the car had a host of problems (almost to the point of seeming cursed) that resulted in the car getting junked.

Lincoln Mark LT: Drove this for quite a while. I appreciated the power of the truck, and it seems like the car commanded a sort of road respect from everyone else making it easier to drive than I thought. Then again, the thing was a giant, and was a pain to park in my school's deck (the back end stuck out the farthest in the line, always). Gas was not cheap for it, either.

Audi TT: Was the first car I drove with any consistency. Even with that in consideration, it felt like the most difficult car to drive out of the four. Memories are kind of weak on it, but I do remember it having problems starting up, and eventually the car was let go because it became too troublesome to fix.

Sorry if I'm not very clear on my history, though I hope it does help in making a suggestion.

The Chevy Cruze can be had with a light cocoa colored leather interior, and otherwise seems to fulfill your needs.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

kimbo305 posted:

Another way to look at it: the more common the car you're looking at, the easier it should feel to walk away from a deal. One pretty imperfect measure of accident history is Carfax. But I'd take any Carfax with no accident history over one for a similar condition car with reported accidents.

I suppose a former rental with no reported accidents, is probably worse than a single owner with a few dings?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A ding as in a dent on the door that you see with your own eyes? Or accident damage reported on Carfax? If the former, yes, the rental will be far worse. If it's a rental you're looking at, chances are it's a common model. Don't even bother looking at former rental cars in that case.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

kimbo305 posted:

A ding as in a dent on the door that you see with your own eyes? Or accident damage reported on Carfax? If the former, yes, the rental will be far worse. If it's a rental you're looking at, chances are it's a common model. Don't even bother looking at former rental cars in that case.

They keep saying crap like "well a rental has to go through a rigorous maintenance schedule" but I figure who knows what goes on that isn't on their checklists of repair.

Its just annoying when they report "carfax 1 owner" but the one owner was Avis.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CatchrNdRy posted:

They keep saying crap like "well a rental has to go through a rigorous maintenance schedule" but I figure who knows what goes on that isn't on their checklists of repair.

Have you ever rented a car? You should know what wins out, careful maintenance, or the sheer attrition of using a car that's not yours.
Who is telling you this, a used car lot?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

kimbo305 posted:

Have you ever rented a car? You should know what wins out, careful maintenance, or the sheer attrition of using a car that's not yours.
Who is telling you this, a used car lot?

it was the used car branch of a major dealership. I was wondering why a 2012 CR-V for $17k had over 35k if it had "one owner" then I asked if it was rental, and the salesperson sheepishly said yes.

I always treat my rentals with extreme caution because I'm terrified they will find some way to hose me after the fact. I of course realize not everyone does, especially if they pay for all those waivers. I once asked the counter guy "if I purchased enough additional insurance, I can pretty much run over at least 2 people right?" and he agreed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It has been said in here many times but: Do Not Buy A Rental.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
My old man wants to replace his minivan
Proposed Budget 7-15K
New or used: USed, since I doubt a 6+ passenger car new is in this budget.
Body style: SUV/Minivan, needs to hold at least 8 to replace the sienna
How will this car be used: Daily driver, kids and parent to school/work.
Most important aspect: reliability, passenger capacity, the current minivan gets 13-15ish MPG and used premium gas, so mileage can suffer compared to passenger capacity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CatchrNdRy posted:

it was the used car branch of a major dealership. I was wondering why a 2012 CR-V for $17k had over 35k if it had "one owner" then I asked if it was rental, and the salesperson sheepishly said yes.

The ridiculous price on used CR-Vs is why I bought mine new. $77/mo over a five-year term isn't worth giving up the majority of the warranty period and a giant black mark on the Carfax.

I paid $21.6k for mine (2013 2WD LX) before tax / tags / $399 doc fee that everyone wants to charge, and Honda did 0.9% financing for 60 months. If you're already looking at $17k on a used one, you might want to do the math and see how much it will actually cost you for a new one. Start with pricing from Truecar and go from there (I was able to get one dealer to go even lower than that, but they didn't have the color I wanted).

You're in AZ, aren't you? The two dealers that got me the lowest pricing were Showcase Honda and Superstition Springs Honda. Definitely don't bother walking into the latter, though - the price they gave me when I test-drove there was $8k higher than what I ended up buying the car for (and I bought it from them the next day!)

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 25, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If damage is severe enough in an accident to require The Five Ohs or reporting to insurance (ie appears on a carfax VHR), I'd stay away. It's too much of a roll of the dice unless you already know what you're doing, in which case you are not posting in this thread.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Proposed Budget: ~$15000
Body Style: 4d Midsize Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Mostly city but we live about 20 minutes away from everything, Two adults and three kids but most of the time it's just one adult and three kids.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) I do love gadgets and leather.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, fit and finish, gadgets, in that order.

I have a friend that is a car dealer and he has offered to take me to the dealer auction in Dallas tomorrow to buy a car. He said the prices are generally $5k less than those you would find at retail and they have somewhere around 5000 cars to sell ranging from brand new with 100 miles on them all the way down to total beaters. I have the financing arranged already at 2.75% through my credit union.

The main goal here is to get my wife out of our 2001 Toyota Sequoia that is drinking over $400 a month in gas driving her and the kids to horse lessons, gymnastics, and school. We are also going to be taking a couple of trips this summer, the longest being to a Florida beach. We went to a couple of dealers and found out that the Civic and Corolla and Spark are too small for us with the three kids. In order to maintain the gas mileage I figure this puts us in the midsize market with the Camry and Accord. The small SUV's that I looked at did not get very good gas mileage with the exception of the Honda CRV but I hate the looks of it and don't want to drive it.

I need to have a good idea of what cars I would like to buy and how much to pay for them. I've pretty much settled on an 2011 Accord or a Camry with 15k to 25k miles but I wonder if I'm missing another choice.

I drove a 2013 Prius and while it seemed to almost be large enough, it's very utilitarian. I love the gadgets and readouts but the road noise is bad and it's not fun to drive. The MPG is awesome though and buying one of these used is where the cost savings starts to make more sense.

We also drove a '13 Camry and it was nice, with a very quiet cabin and a nice 4cyl.

The '13 Accord sport was my favorite drive. It seemed very put together and nice to drive. It also had an ECO mode that forced you to drive a bit easier and saved gas. The CVT auto trans was good and supposedly is what is helping it beat the camry in mpg.

We didn't make it 1/4 mile in the test drive of the Hyundai Sonata before I told the sales guy this wasn't the car for me. The road noise was terrible and in my opinion was not in the same class as the Toyota or Honda, everything in the car seemed very cheap.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 25, 2013

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The ridiculous price on used CR-Vs is why I bought mine new. $77/mo over a five-year term isn't worth giving up the majority of the warranty period and a giant black mark on the Carfax.

I paid $21.6k for mine (2013 2WD LX) before tax / tags / $399 doc fee that everyone wants to charge, and Honda did 0.9% financing for 60 months. If you're already looking at $17k on a used one, you might want to do the math and see how much it will actually cost you for a new one. Start with pricing from Truecar and go from there (I was able to get one dealer to go even lower than that, but they didn't have the color I wanted).

You're in AZ, aren't you? The two dealers that got me the lowest pricing were Showcase Honda and Superstition Springs Honda. Definitely don't bother walking into the latter, though - the price they gave me when I test-drove there was $8k higher than what I ended up buying the car for (and I bought it from them the next day!)

Yeah, my friend got obviously bait and switched at the Superstition Springs Toyota a few years ago, acquired something very close to a lemon and still convinced herself she got a "pretty decent lease".

So OTD price was about 23K for the 2013? If I could snag a 2010 used for say 17.5 OTD, a 6K savings seems nothing to sneeze at. Though it just seems proportionally priced to new, it wouldn't actually be anymore financially efficient. I still can't figure out a good rule of thumb price adjustment for new vs used. its making me neurotic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If damage is severe enough in an accident to require The Five Ohs or reporting to insurance (ie appears on a carfax VHR), I'd stay away. It's too much of a roll of the dice unless you already know what you're doing, in which case you are not posting in this thread.

Good advice. If damage is reportable, think of all the little things they didn't report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Citycop posted:

Proposed Budget: ~$15000
Body Style: 4d Midsize Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Mostly city but we live about 20 minutes away from everything, Two adults and three kids but most of the time it's just one adult and three kids.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) I do love gadgets and leather.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, MPG, fit and finish, gadgets, in that order.

I have a friend that is a car dealer and he has offered to take me to the dealer auction in Dallas tomorrow to buy a car. He said the prices are generally $5k less than those you would find at retail and they have somewhere around 5000 cars to sell ranging from brand new with 100 miles on them all the way down to total beaters. I have the financing arranged already at 2.75% through my credit union.

The main goal here is to get my wife out of our 2001 Toyota Sequoia that is drinking over $400 a month in gas driving her and the kids to horse lessons, gymnastics, and school. We are also going to be taking a couple of trips this summer, the longest being to a Florida beach. We went to a couple of dealers and found out that the Civic and Corolla and Spark are too small for us with the three kids. In order to maintain the gas mileage I figure this puts us in the midsize market with the Camry and Accord. The small SUV's that I looked at did not get very good gas mileage with the exception of the Honda CRV but I hate the looks of it and don't want to drive it.

I need to have a good idea of what cars I would like to buy and how much to pay for them. I've pretty much settled on an 2011 Accord or a Camry with 15k to 25k miles but I wonder if I'm missing another choice.

I drove a 2013 Prius and while it seemed to almost be large enough, it's very utilitarian. I love the gadgets and readouts but the road noise is bad and it's not fun to drive. The MPG is awesome though and buying one of these used is where the cost savings starts to make more sense.

We also drove a '13 Camry and it was nice, with a very quiet cabin and a nice 4cyl.

The '13 Accord sport was my favorite drive. It seemed very put together and nice to drive. It also had an ECO mode that forced you to drive a bit easier and saved gas. The CVT auto trans was good and supposedly is what is helping it beat the camry in mpg.

We didn't make it 1/4 mile in the test drive of the Hyundai Sonata before I told the sales guy this wasn't the car for me. The road noise was terrible and in my opinion was not in the same class as the Toyota or Honda, everything in the car seemed very cheap.

Have you fully thought this through? Has your wife signed off on the idea of dropping the minivan for something smaller? I'm not saying you need an Expedition or another Mini-Van, but 5 people on a 11+ hour road trip to Florida in a mid sized sedan is basically hell. Especially with 3 kids. I don't know how old your kids are, but you're not getting 3 teens in the back of a midsized sedan for anything longer than a trip to the movies, and younger kids that need boosters and car seats won't fit back there easily either. I don't think you could get 5 peoples luggage in the car for a week long trip either. Hell even if you squeeze everyone in with their luggage you'll probably be exceeding the safe load capacity of the car which is probably around ~800 to ~850 pounds. If you're hell bent on a sedan, I'd be looking full size. When I was younger we fit 6 of us in a panther platform car with the youngest in the middle up front and it was fine for the most part.

My wife and I take 7 to 10 road trips a year of 500 to 1100 miles each way with 2 kids and we can use almost every inch of our Ford Explorer hauling poo poo around on these trips. I drive a Ford Fusion and I wouldn't take it on a road trip longer than 3 hours away from home with my kids.