Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
(Crossposting from old thread in case Ka0 stopped reading that one already) ka0 - thanks so much for the gift, it looks even better in person! I need to pick up a frame and get that sucker up on the wall ASAP!

Rei_ posted:

Lot of disrespect being shown towards the Japanese G1 and Unicron Trilogy in that OP, people.

No, they're both really, really bad. The only fiction worth a poo poo is G1 for camp, Beast Wars, and MTMTE.

vvv just to clarify, Legends Prime and Bee were also from Ka0, or was that from you? Either way, it's a neat figure for Legends (or scout? I don't know what he qualifies as)

catch22 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

catch22 posted:

(Crossposting from old thread in case Ka0 stopped reading that one already) ka0 - thanks so much for the gift, it looks even better in person! I need to pick up a frame and get that sucker up on the wall ASAP!

I just opened my tiny Optimus and Roller, and I'm a little bit disappointed.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I wasn't really passionate about getting a new thread but I gotta admit it feels really great to have an OP that has actual relevant information in it. And I loved the idea of it being called "Galvathread" but I'm glad we're being respectful to the fact that we live in BSS.

Rhyno posted:

Ahhh, there's Nefud. I'd wondered when he was going to show up again.

If you want to talk about TFs or engage in a conversation about BM that's great but if you want to passive-aggressively bleat about our disagreement(s) about what makes a good TV show, I'm politely asking you to refrain.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

catch22 posted:

No, they're both really, really bad. The only fiction worth a poo poo is G1 for camp, Beast Wars, and MTMTE.

Nah, Prime is fine, with moments that reveal how good it really could have been if it hadn't been so in love with its own status quo. And most of IDW is head and shoulders above any of the other non-BW fiction in the brand's history. MTMTE may be the pinnacle, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Keldroc posted:

Nah, Prime is fine, with moments that reveal how good it really could have been if it hadn't been so in love with its own status quo. And most of IDW is head and shoulders above any of the other non-BW fiction in the brand's history. MTMTE may be the pinnacle, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Prime is exactly what Beast Wars would have been if Transformers was as financially successful back then as it is now. Realizing that has the unfortunate side effect of putting into perspective the enormous wasted potential of the show. It has some truly great moments but is so obviously burdened by the weight of a panel of shareholders having the final say in the show and the writers do their best to accentuate that by making the show so bizarrely dark.

If nothing else Prime puts to rest the idea that the movies being terrible is the fault of anyone but Michael Bay.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Can you demonstrate a point in the show you felt can be clearly attributed to being 'written by committee' or 'beholder to shareholders'?

Because I honestly end up feeling like its spasms of mediocrity come from the opposite end of the spectrum. For one thing it's a terrible vehicle for selling toys, especially when contrasted with the actual lines and assortments.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

Can you demonstrate a point in the show you felt can be clearly attributed to being 'written by committee' or 'beholder to shareholders'?

Because I honestly end up feeling like its spasms of mediocrity come from the opposite end of the spectrum. For one thing it's a terrible vehicle for selling toys, especially when contrasted with the actual lines and assortments.

Mostly it's endless obsession with pointless fetch quests that pad out what would otherwise be fairly tight seasons in an attempt to maintain status quo at all costs.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

LightsGameraAction posted:

Mostly it's endless obsession with pointless fetch quests that pad out what would otherwise be fairly tight seasons in an attempt to maintain status quo at all costs.

That has nothing to do with commitees or shareholders.
They use is as a go-to for an excuse for the characters fighting and interacting.

The real problem with Prime, and the main difference between it and Beast Wars, is that it's writ too large.

Most of the relics the cons' lost were because if they had any small advantage like the energon harvester or the spark remover bomb, they'd win. Basically the cons are too big and powerful and evil and the status quo has to be maintained to prevent them from winning.

On the bots side, all of the Autobots want the same thing, and have one priority: Defeat the cons. None of the Autobots can ever show disrespect to Optimus or go against his moral code. Some attempts were made at giving some of the bots their own goals, like Arcee losing her partners and Bulkhead's wrecker past, but those goals were thin enough that they could not be sustained.

This is why the relics are the only non-plot related hook they can go to in most episodes. No one else has anything really interesting to do, none of them do anything important besides fight in the war.

The Maximals and Predacons not only were fighting on a smaller scale, they were also interesting because they all wanted different things. Dinobot and Cheetor frequently went against Primal's orders, Rattrap only wanted to survive and not be a hero, Tarantulas was never on the same page as Megatron - just about every single character had something interesting about them and their own thing to do, a reason why they'd go against their leader's orders. Especially in seasons 2 and 3 you'd have giant games of intrigue between the Predacons.

There has been evidence of executive meddling with Prime. Prime's character itself being one of them. Hasbro would not allow the writers to have the Orion Pax storyline for more than three episodes (And I thought those episodes were great, Cullen has great range that they never allow him to use and it was great to hear Prime sounding like a confused innocent child). The writers also wanted to have a main character Autobot who would stick around for all of season 1 and get killed by Megatron (and this Autobot was named Smokescreen) but again, Hasbro had them change that to Cliffjumper getting stabbed in episode 1.

Also, recently one of the storyboarders mentioned that Smokescreen's new paint job was to be more realistic for a street car and a sign of him growing up, but Hasbro made them keep the 38s on his doors (and also wanted neon green highlights but they got out of that some how)

Hell, they weren't going to have beasts until hasbro mandated them into season 3.

I do not know who's ideas the characters and their dynamics were. It's clear that making the Decepticons more powerful from the beginning and making both leaders the be-all end-all of "Prime" and "Megatron" were probably the biggest hindrances.

I have enjoyed Prime a lot, but I think that it's good that it's ending soon instead of wearing too thin even for myself.
They're stuck with the Aligned continuity but maybe next series Prime and Megatron could not be the most powerful robots ever, Autobots could more frequently talk back to Prime and have plans of their own... and Starscream and Knockout could still be around because gently caress everything else those too are great.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I'd settle for Optimus not being a stoic bore so much of the time. There's no possible way to reconcile the High Moon games with the TFP continuity, but even in those games Optimus has a bit of fire in the belly now and then. Optimus' best moment in TFP for me was after they realized Starscream had duped them and snagged all the relics they'd been working so hard to gather and Optimus just roars with rage and frustration. If they'd given the character more of those "human" moments, I think I would have been a much bigger fan of TFP.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Brainstorm is my favourite character in MTMTE so far. He's just ridiculous. I would buy a series with just him trying to out-do Perceptor every issue. :swoon:

Rodimus is cool too.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
I'm still going to call it a a Galvathread!

Seriously though, here's to another 1,000 pages with you guys and gals!

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Here's to a new thread, a possible new job, and a new chance to blow my income on products meant for children. :unsmith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That new thread smell.

My only problem with the OP is Prowl ought to be in the list of "best of" Animated figures, the articulation on that figure is phenomenal and he looks amazing and perfectly cartoon-accurate to boot, plus transforms flawlessly.

quote:

Man, I didn't notice this one beforehand, and a Masterpiece G1 Wheeljack and Bumblebee would be amazing. I really hope they have, somehow, gotten the licenses for their alt modes. I would love if part of the stuff with Bumblebee being a politician and not a warrior(and doesn't have a gun) had something to do with getting the license for the alt mode, I know it's extremely unlikely, but it'd be great.

Keldroc posted:

While I firmly believe a new thread was not needed, and at least should have been cleared with the mods, I have decided Terry van Feleday is the best person to make the new thread specifically because they did not call it the loving Galvathread.

You are more of a robot than the ones in the cartoons, dude. This isn't your thread to dictate nor was the last one, your approval is unnecessary, and even with the new thread with a GREAT OP you had to make a final arms-folded passive-aggressive disapproving post. Maybe one day, your smiling servos will unrust and you'll smile again, to the enjoyment of everyone!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Veg posted:

Rodimus is cool too.

I would have posted the panel if I could have found it, but my favorite Rodimus moment is when he says something like "Okay guys, I'm giving you this speech because according to Ultra Magnus, I have to give you more of a briefing than just running around the ship yelling 'Hey, who's up for a fight?'"

I've said it before, but I really kind of see TF: Prime as the Star Trey: Voyager of the series. Granted, it doesn't go nearly as low as Voyager does sometimes, but it has the same problem - bland characters with no personalities and a plot that goes nowhere for years. Tons of wasted potential.

As far as our protagonists are concerned, the only ones that are even remotely interesting are Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Ratchet (because Jeffery Combs.) Wheeljack barely shows up, Smokescreen doesn't show up until late in season 2, and Ratchet spends an entire season doing nothing. Everybody else is basically "stoic guy who fights bad guys." I mean, really, who would honestly care if Prime, Bumblebee or Bulkhead got killed off?

Most of the Japanese TF Anime has this exact same problem. Many of the Autobots in those don't have personalities that extend beyond "heroic guy who fights for justice and gets mad when bad guys do bad things." Hell, all the four main Autobot Headmasters in Headmasters are pretty much exactly the same, except a couple of them are bigger assholes than the others.

The thing about G1, is that the characters had extremely exaggerated, over the top personalities. G1 has about zero subtlety whatsoever. MTMTE kind of rolls with this and is basically about characters with extreme personality quirks and neuroses that just so happen to be robots that turn into cars.

As Yonic said, Beast Wars was so successful because it had a very diverse group of characters with their own ideas for what they wanted, and had conflict with not only their enemies but also their teammates. ("Disgusting vermin!") When's the last time Bumblebee and Bulkhead got in an argument, or anybody disagreed with Prime? A friend of mine made an interesting observation - "One thing that's really weird about Prime, is that just like the various anime, the Autobots don't really interact with each other. They just interact with the kids."

Podges
Nov 25, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would have posted the panel if I could have found it, but my favorite Rodimus moment is when he says something like "Okay guys, I'm giving you this speech because according to Ultra Magnus, I have to give you more of a briefing than just running around the ship yelling 'Hey, who's up for a fight?'"

I knew I had it somewhere:

If I start posting all my favourite panels and pages though we'll be here forever. I love that comic. I know there are better general comics coming out right now but MTMTE is the only one that turns me into a ten-year-old again. :3:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
As far as the new thread goes, I only wonder if the OP will actually stick around and join in with discussion/update it where necessary. People who barge in outta nowhere, demand to make an OP then vanish never to be seen again are almost the absolute worst, right after people who wear polo necks, or those weirdos who prefer dogs to cats. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

or those weirdos who prefer dogs to cats. :colbert:

Is it any coincidence that both Soundwave and Blaster have kitties in their entourages?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yep, I never thought they would find a way for me to like Rodimus, but MTMTE managed it. Still nowhere near my favorite but I don't loathe him anymore and that's a huge improvement.

I'm with Gammatron here on detesting Japanese TF series, and I'll also add that they like to ruin western TF cartoons too. What they did with Beast Wars was horrible, and I don't even want to find out how they changed Animated or Prime.

Like I said before, while I do like TF:Prime I also kinda agree with the criticism it receives, mostly how the Autobots are so unnecessarily boring. On the other hand I happen to like almost every decepticon because they have actual personalities, even Soundwave while not uttering a single word. I like what we've seen of Shockwave until now but I wish they didn't need to force the word "Logic" on 75% of what he says. I know it was kinda cool in the comics but it feels a bit forced here. I'm neutral on Megatron but I long for the day when we get an earth-mode Megatron again, I'm so sick of having bullshit cybertron modes (I think you can have cool cybertronian vehicles, but Megs' altmode isn't one of them)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Gammatron 64 posted:

As far as our protagonists are concerned, the only ones that are even remotely interesting are Wheeljack, Smokescreen and Ratchet (because Jeffery Combs.) Wheeljack barely shows up, Smokescreen doesn't show up until late in season 2, and Ratchet spends an entire season doing nothing. Everybody else is basically "stoic guy who fights bad guys." I mean, really, who would honestly care if Prime, Bumblebee or Bulkhead got killed off?
I'd be bummed out if Bulkhead were killed off; "Single dad Bulkhead" makes for some good episodes and character moments, even if they're few and far between. Bumblebee as a mute character doesn't really do much to make him memorable or relatable in any way, and it bothers me that if an Autobot got killed, it would probably end up being Wheeljack.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

As far as the new thread goes, I only wonder if the OP will actually stick around and join in with discussion/update it where necessary. People who barge in outta nowhere, demand to make an OP then vanish never to be seen again are almost the absolute worst, right after people who wear polo necks, or those weirdos who prefer dogs to cats. :colbert:

I think it's fantastic that we have a new thread, because already we have some new faces that I haven't seen in the TF thread before. And poo poo is actually relevant! Star Trek gets a new thread like, every month, it takes us 7 years.

But dogs are a million times better than cats. Cats are assholes and would eat you if they were any bigger. :colbert: If you don't think that Golden Retriever puppies are the best thing in the world then :getout:

SRM posted:

I'd be bummed out if Bulkhead were killed off; "Single dad Bulkhead" makes for some good episodes and character moments, even if they're few and far between. Bumblebee as a mute character doesn't really do much to make him memorable or relatable in any way, and it bothers me that if an Autobot got killed, it would probably end up being Wheeljack.

One of the worst things the movie gave us was a psychotic Prime who only knows how to have big, dramatic speeches when he's not ripping off faces, and mute Bumblebee. The movies really hosed up Prime and Bumblebee outside of the comics, and the sooner they drop these characterizations... if you can even call them that, the better. Modern Bumblebee is practically a non-character. That plus the enormous amount of toys he has makes people loathe him.

Honestly though... I still like G1 \ Comic Bumblebee and I'm pumped for his MP release. I loved Bumblebee as a kid, and the new Bumblebee has absolutely nothing in common with the original except for his color and his name. And sometimes not even his color because a lot of movie Bumblebees are orange instead of yellow.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 21, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
"If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are."

gently caress cats, dogs own. Now let's move on.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Sentinel Red posted:

Well now I'm never going to post again just to spite you. Actually no wait I like cats and I have ~stuff to say~ so nevermind!

FOR INSTANCE.

You know painting your toys can get pretty intimidating because you have to worry about paint not getting scratched and so on? Well sometimes, all it takes to make a toy look a whole lot better is a minor modification. See, probably the visually most important area of a figure is its face, and factory-applied paint apps can't always make it look quite as it should. Take, for example, Movie Voyager Ratchet.

Hideous, right? It's actually a very nice mold, but there's just too little contrast between the green and the metal and some details aren't picked out in the latter though they should be. Thankfully, we can fix that.

We're going to need to remove the head, it can just be taken apart by removing the screw at its back. Careful not to lose it! Materials we need: A fine brush, some Q-Tips and, of course, paints. In this case, Games Workshop Chainmail for the metallic parts and GW Black Ink for the contrast. You can find these paints in any shop that sells Warhammer or other tabletop stuff, though note that not all GW ranges are any good (the metallics and inks are, though).

Without any particular preparation, I paint in the metal details. This seems like it would require some skill and precision, but it really doesn't: Anywhere I clumsily paint over something I want to remain green, I just use a regular toothpick to scrape the paint back off. Easy. Thanks to the stronger metallic effect it looks better already, but we're not done yet.

For inking, I temporarily screw the head back together on a stick, without the clear blue lightpiping part.

Ink is a special kind of paint that automatically collects in recesses and creates for easy and natural shading. I just follow the lines on the mold with the ink-dipped brush and then use a Q-Tip to wipe away any excess that didn't flow to the right place. Don't be afraid to wipe a line away completely and try again if it doesn't look right. The more molded detail there is the better the results of this technique, so movie models are particularly great for it.

And, reassembled back onto his body:

Success! This really is super easy and takes no time at all, so I encourage everyone to try it for themselves. The face is not an area that tends to be subject to much wear, so you won't have to worry about paint scrapes, either. The paints may seem expensive at first, but that impression goes away once you realise just how long they last.

Terry van Feleday fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 21, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So apparently the UK is getting the Arms Micron stuff...?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Gammatron 64 posted:

As Yonic said, Beast Wars was so successful because it had a very diverse group of characters with their own ideas for what they wanted, and had conflict with not only their enemies but also their teammates. ("Disgusting vermin!") When's the last time Bumblebee and Bulkhead got in an argument, or anybody disagreed with Prime? A friend of mine made an interesting observation - "One thing that's really weird about Prime, is that just like the various anime, the Autobots don't really interact with each other. They just interact with the kids."

That's one thing I liked about animated, the Autobots won the great war, and a lot of them were total jerks, it added a lot of depth to the characters at least compared to the other series. I agree that prime feels flat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So yeah, I'm a nutcase who decided to give an $100 3rd party Megatron a new paintjob.

Went from this (on the left):

To this:

I don't suggest everybody do stuff like that, but if you are going to collect Transformers, there's a few things I recommend having:

*A set of precision screwdrivers in case you need to tighten screws or disassemble anything
*A hobby knife. Transformers very, very rarely have any mold flash that gets in the way, but it does happen. See also - some sandpaper.
*Some floor polish or fingernail polish - great for tightening loose ball joints. You should have this.
*If you don't feel too confident about painting, try some Gundam Markers for some slight detail work.
*Ikea Detolf cabinets are a fan favorite for displaying them.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Gamma, Tezza, I am jealous of both of you. I just don't have the patience for such things, a horrendously hamfisted and uneven silver paint job over my old and worn G1 Meg was about as far as I managed in customising terms. It was certainly...something.

What we gonna get out of MP Bumblebee then, poppets? Goldbug, white Bumblebee, red Bumblebee/wrong Cliffjumper, wrong Hubcap, ghost Bumblebee, stealth Bumblebee, Mexican Taxi Bumblebee..?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sentinel Red posted:

It's in archives, but the OP had that thread in CD that dramatically reinterpreted the Bay films as a scathing condemnation of modern American culture. I figure if anyone's got the cred to open a new thread, it'd be her.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

catch22 posted:

Phew alright! I had begun to worry about it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Phy posted:

It's in archives, but the OP had that thread in CD that dramatically reinterpreted the Bay films as a scathing condemnation of modern American culture. I figure if anyone's got the cred to open a new thread, it'd be her.

Well its one thing to reinterpret the films as poo poo, but entirely another to participate in the daily discussions of the other aspects of the license. However the customizing pictures so far have been a good example of that diversity, so I don't mind at all. I think what Sentinel and others, myself included, were worried about when Terry first popped up wanting to make a new OP, was the fact that until that moment, we didn't see Terry posting in that thread. However the OP is well written, and she's posted pictures of customizing Ratchet so fears assuaged.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Geared Hub posted:

That's one thing I liked about animated, the Autobots won the great war, and a lot of them were total jerks, it added a lot of depth to the characters at least compared to the other series. I agree that prime feels flat.

That really was the coolest. The Autobots were straight up shady assholes. Making giant lobotimized robots to go on kill rampages, dangerous experiments on critically wounded factory workers. What the hell didn't Ultra Magnus sign off on? I also liked having Magnus as the leader instead of Prime since it gave Prime a chance to be a character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Animated had some great ideas and background elements as mentioned above but the execution left a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Most of those ideas have been eclipsed by the brilliant worldbuilding of MTMTE. On one hand, I don't want to say anything as not to spoil things for new readers, on the other hand the background ideas of MTMTE are things that I hope become part of every series and could talk about them all day. Discussion of MTMTE should go beyond praise for how good the comic is.

The twists in the last issues would be corny if anyone else wrote them but JR pulls them off so brilliantly.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Animated is great when you realize it's long tail story arc is really a story about Ratchet from beginning to end. Everyone had agendas and backgrounds and stories, and all of these interweaving details. Sure it wasn't high art, but it was a really solid attempt at ANIMATING these characters, both in terms of character and style.

Prime is a story about...nothing, really. Like it's not even a good toy commercial, since most of the toys aren't even in the show at this point. It's just...banal.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Rei_ posted:

Animated is great when you realize it's long tail story arc is really a story about Ratchet from beginning to end. Everyone had agendas and backgrounds and stories, and all of these interweaving details. Sure it wasn't high art, but it was a really solid attempt at ANIMATING these characters, both in terms of character and style.

Prime is a story about...nothing, really. Like it's not even a good toy commercial, since most of the toys aren't even in the show at this point. It's just...banal.
I thought it was pretty interesting that Ratchet was an old veteran with occasional bouts of robo-PTSD. There's one episode where that's a central plot point, and the end of the episode is just him and Prime sitting down and Prime basically saying "tell me about it" and the two characters just connect before the credits. When that show wasn't about human supervillains, I absolutely loved it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Charticon, August 9th-11th, Charlotte, NC :banjo:
http://www.charticon.com/
A new, up and coming Con, conveniently located right in my home state. I know a few of the guys behind this and they're good people, and they're going to have a few, hand-painted(!!!) exclusive toys. They cost a fair amount of money, but they each took at least 16 hours to make, so a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into them. Beast Hunters Bulkhead looks really cool in Sharkticon colors. If you live near the southeast, give this one a shot.
I just registered for this. Too bad I missed out on getting a ticket to the Friday night party. :argh:

This will be my first TF convention. I'm not really sure what to expect!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You are more of a robot than the ones in the cartoons, dude. This isn't your thread to dictate nor was the last one, your approval is unnecessary, and even with the new thread with a GREAT OP you had to make a final arms-folded passive-aggressive disapproving post. Maybe one day, your smiling servos will unrust and you'll smile again, to the enjoyment of everyone!

My approval was not necessary, although there's something to be said for community consensus. The real issue was mostly due to those of us who actually remember the beginning of the old thread. Considering last time a new thread was made they both got gassed and several of us not only had to PM mods and Lowtax to petition to reopen one and have one at all, we were also told that attempting to make a new one would result in the revocation of the ability to have a TF thread in BSS at all, it was not a decision to be taken lightly by many of us who have been around since the beginning. Luckily current BSS management doesn't seem to be as against the idea, or this could have turned out very badly simply because some people inexplicably...don't like long threads? Wanted an OP full of info they already know? I dunno. We were lucky.

But thanks for somehow thinking that means I'm a humorless robot or something. Because that makes sense.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

But thanks for somehow thinking that means I'm a humorless robot or something. Because that makes sense.

Dude your avatar is Prowl.

Anyway I didn't know that about the start of the old thread, it had already been going for years before I started posting. That said it's been the better part of a decade since it opened and we generally tend to be pretty civil these days. The thread is new, but really it's going to be second verse same as the first with a more current OP.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TheDK posted:

I just registered for this. Too bad I missed out on getting a ticket to the Friday night party. :argh:

This will be my first TF convention. I'm not really sure what to expect!

Expect to come to my table and buy my stuff at low, low prices! :rodimus:

I expect it to be sort of like a mini-TFCon, but since this one is new, I honestly have no idea how big or small it's gonna be. Pretty much I basically go to these cons for the dealer room and chilling out with people there during \ after. If it's anything like TFCon, there will probably be a bunch of people hanging out at the bar at the hotel so don't be shy. I'll probably grab dinner with some people I know, as I haven't seen Scotty P or Superquad in forever.

Definitely go meet Paul Eiding, as he is a super duper cool dude, to the point where the Colonel himself wished me a happy birthday on facebook. :3:

That reminds me, I really gotta get off my rear end this weekend and start pricing stuff, and going through things I don't need anymore.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Anything without Bristleback is garbage. The end. Hey, Roberts! Give Bristleback to a grumpy character as a pet so they can hate everything together! (Sunstreaker and Bob are so adorable!)

I agree that many times the Autobots just feel too perfect. To the point its just boring. They don't have any aspirations beyond fighting their antagonists, they don't give in temptations or struggle with demons or even try to find humor in things. Yeah, I'm sure milenia of war would leave anyone jaded about life but there should also be stuff like some becoming disillusioned with their side and defecting, some just giving up and walking away, maybe a few with some great personal stuff at stake or vendettas to carry out and absolutely some just losing it and going insane. MTMTE, I feel, is perhaps the first to very clearly express all of these aspects and more. Hey, some perma death works wonders too in a story about earth shattering conflicts. I dropped all my old Marvel bullshit and picked up the ongoings TF comics by IDW and other favorites like Judge Dredd and the Walking Dead almost entirely because I was sick of death being reduced to the threat level of the common cold.(coughcoughfuckyoumarvelanddccough)

MP G2 Sideswipe is so drat tempting since I know its the only updated version of that figure we'll ever get that could pass as a classics...

PriNcessofDarXness fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 21, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Marvel and DC have far more problems than just cheapness of death.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've said it before, but I really kind of see TF: Prime as the Star Trey: Voyager of the series. Granted, it doesn't go nearly as low as Voyager does sometimes, but it has the same problem - bland characters with no personalities and a plot that goes nowhere for years. Tons of wasted potential.

Prime's more like Enterprise (all that plus being a reboot) but more enjoyable due to having classier villains and cannot attempt to be sexy (thank god). Beast Hunters is the Xindi arc (current plot isn't working, blow up everything and add a new more menaching bad guy)

You know what's really Voyager? Furman's IDW run. And Spotlight: Arcee was Threshold. Embarrassing misunderstanding of genetics, attempts at being edgy, and ends up being so stupid that everyone wants to forget it. Yes, I personally think that the plot of Spotlight Arcee is really as dumb as evolving into salamanders.

And you know what else? Prime can deflect some of it's ire due to both being cgi (and having amazing cgi at that) and being a kids show. I mean, I don't see why a grown audience should be so mad at a kids show, it doesn't affect it's quality but it does mean that it's weird if you're way, way invested in it and act like it said horrible things about your mother.

Furman was writing for adults.

I'm glad that he has nothing to do with the continuity anymore. Arcee's alright now, I really liked what Barber did with her last issue, and they've changed the angle to "victim of cruel experiment" instead of focusing on how she apparently has robot girl parts and is really mad about it. But I think IDW should never have allowed that comic to be published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

New TF Legends episode starts today, entitled "All Hail Galvatron." No word on cards that I saw, but I think Galvatron is a safe assumption. Maybe we'll finally get a Rodimus and possibly Springer?