Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Jay Dub posted:

One problem I had with The Lost World was that it does a really half-rear end job of trying to address and extend the themes of the first film, when it's clear it doesn't have a whole lot to say. You can tell it wants to talk about preserving ecosystems and the damage done by corporations and all that stuff, but once Spielberg puts it out there, he kind of just gives up. The whole thing feels like a long string of excuses for him to put a T-Rex in San Diego so he can play around with King Kong for a bit.

The third one takes Jurassic Park back to B-movie territory, where the plot is very simple and not particularly ambitious, and I think it works more than it doesn't. It's certainly a less chaotic film than The Lost World.

Yeah, I definitely want to give them both rewatches, hopefully for the show at some point (though we'll probably put some time/space between those and the first film). Either way, they're definitely on my list.

On an unrelated note, I've fallen back in love with Galaxy Quest having rewatched it for the first time in a long time, and really want to do an episode on it soon. Take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

New Rare & Vintage is up; this time, it's of 1990's Brain Dead, starring Bills Paxton and Pullman.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

As OK Octopus already pointed out in the RGD movie podcast thread, We decided to take on Robot Jox by popular demand. We had a hell of a lot of fun on this one, especially since the movie is just so amazing to talk about. Our guest, Derek, is a huge fan of the film, so he was a wonderful resource, and the quiz is relatively entertaining (though I had to make some last-minute additions since, in our break before the quiz, Jared offhandedly rattled off the answers to the Nightmare Round without knowing I was going to put them on there). All in all, pretty proud of this one.

Next week, we're gonna get back into some noir territory for the first time in awhile with The Third Man!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Just posted the latest Fresh Pour of 42 and Trance, if anyone's interested.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I think the paragraph about Harrison Ford is the best thing to come from the fresh pour articles yet.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

General Ironicus posted:

I think the paragraph about Harrison Ford is the best thing to come from the fresh pour articles yet.

Thanks! I'm still editing them as I go, as I find little niggling things I want to change; I'm still pretty new to doing actual, in-depth film writeups, so I'm attempting to find and refine my voice so what I write actually makes sense. Jared's Rare & Vintage columns are turning out so well, I'm really feeling the pressure to step up my game.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

We're you following me today? I saw them both too :tinfoil:

Good writeups, though, you pretty much felt exactly the same as I did and put it in much better words.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

GonSmithe posted:

We're you following me today? I saw them both too :tinfoil:

Good writeups, though, you pretty much felt exactly the same as I did and put it in much better words.

Thanks!

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy week. Jared couldn't get up a Rare & Vintage last week, but I've just posted by Fresh Pour of Oblivion and To the Wonder here, if peoples wannna take a look.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Did I miss a part or did you guys talk about the Third Man for an hour without mentioning the amazing cuckoo clock speech? I actually just rode a ferris wheel the other day and couldn't help recite it to my exasperated wife when I got to the top.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Did I miss a part or did you guys talk about the Third Man for an hour without mentioning the amazing cuckoo clock speech? I actually just rode a ferris wheel the other day and couldn't help recite it to my exasperated wife when I got to the top.

Hah, I'm not sure - I know we talked about the ferris wheel scene, and I thought we mentioned the cuckoo clock speech, but we might have not come to think of it. It is a great speech, though. So much about that movie to talk about - it's really great.

Looking forward to our episode on The Game, which is bar none one of my favorite films. I only fear we do it any kind of justice. That's the trouble with movies that you really like; sometimes it's hard to appropriately quantify what you like about it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

We've got our new Rare & Vintage up after taking a week's break - this time, it's on the 1936 James Cagney flick Great Guy.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, Jared and I delve into one of my favorite films, the David Fincher thriller The Game, starring Michael Douglas. I absolutely love this movie, and I love talking about it/soaking in every detail of it, so it was a fun one to talk about.

Next month, I'm really excited to do Mystery Month, where every episode in May covers a new film with the word "mystery" in it (whether or not it is actually a mystery film). Next week, we start that out with Jim Jarmusch's anthology picture Mystery Train.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

New Fresh Pour is up, this time covering Pain & Gain and The Big Wedding. It was one of the more interesting weekends I've had at the movies, I will say, but it did give me a lot to say.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

New Rare & Vintage; Jared takes a look at yet another James Cagney film, Billy Wilder's One Two Three (1961).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Is there any reason why you guys don't offer drinking rules for the Rare & Vintage reviews?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TrixRabbi posted:

Is there any reason why you guys don't offer drinking rules for the Rare & Vintage reviews?

The only reason we do drinking rules for any of the columns is that I naturally just think of drinking rules when I watch films (It's just how my mind is wired anymore), and Jared prefers to just talk about the movie, so Rare & Vintage just won't have drinking rules.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, we start "Mystery Month," where we take on a new film each week in May with the word 'mystery' in the title - this time we took on 1989's Mystery Train. Be nice; I had too much to drink before recording, so I'm a little slurry at least in the beginning - all the same, it does end up in a pretty good discussion about the merits of Jarmusch's approach to this film. :sigh: I'm gonna start doing better about cutting back on the drinking before recording. (All the same, though, Jared's drink for this week is absolutely delicious.)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Depending on the edit, you may hear me chuckle in the background a few times in the last half of this.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

It's been an incredibly long time since I've posted in this thread, but what the hell? I have a new Fresh Pour up, this time with writeups of Star Trek Into Darkness and The Iceman - check 'em out!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, we finally do our first pre-code movie with the 1933 Fay Wray thriller Mystery of the Wax Museum! This was a pretty fun one to do, since we get into a lot of really nice discussion of the two-color Technicolor process used in this movie (for the last time), Fay Wray's motormouthed protagonist, and more.

Next week, we're doing Magical Mystery Tour, so keep an eye out for that one!

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I'm in a stepping-on-toes mood

This week, we check out the Zach Snyder's alienating, desaturated, and unpleasant (but maybe in a good way?) Sucker Punch. You can hear your regular hosts and me as guest offer opinions ranging from absolute loathing to mild appreciation. We get much more into what things mean than the plot, which is hard to avoid since the literal plot doesn't actually exist.

Next week it's back to Vincent Price with Theater of Blood!

Some personal thoughts before you listen:
1) The quiz's scoring system unfairly encourages rubber-banding and you will be hearing from my lawyers.
2) Replace every time I use the term "satire" with "aversion therapy". This movie is Kate Beaton's stronge female characters crossed with The Ludovico Technique.
3) I don't mean to be the video game guy, but the reason I like the bald exposition and structure of the action sequences is because they parallel the thoughtless sensibilities of AAA action games, which are probably the form of popular media most hostile to female inclusion, as recent kerfuffles have demonstrated.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Oh you poor souls. I had an autistic friend whose other friends played a trick on him where they all decided to tell him Sucker Punch was a legitimately good movie. They even told him it'd help him understand women better. He was floored to hear from me that probably wasn't the case, so we decided to watch it together to make sure. I had a rather large (for me) amount of alcohol nearby, and that helped make the movie almost tolerable. My friend ended up not having any strong feelings about the movie, and was more confused as to why everyone had tried to convince him it'd be his new favorite movie. I can only imagine how much alcohol the four of you went through.

Ironicus, out of interest - just how bad is the loser's shot?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'll re-step on toes here and say that the loser's shot (which I also had) was pretty loving awful. Jared is a punishment-shot tyrant. (Also, legit thanks Ironicus for getting the thread caught up - I've been super bad about updating since it often just seems like me just posting in here.)

Only just now watching your Revengeance LPs, and now I'm thirsty for some delicious spine-Gatorade.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General Ironicus posted:

1) The quiz's scoring system unfairly encourages rubber-banding and you will be hearing from my lawyers.

RIGHT??!?!!?

TTBF posted:

Bad. (we're steppin' on all the toes in here)

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Bad. (we're steppin' on all the toes in here)

At the same time, we watched Hausu, which means that we all won in our own way. (The same cannot be said for I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Punch).

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Yeah, you really can't lose with Hausu.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Who made the Inception "BWOMMMM" noise at 23:50 in the Sucker Punch episode? :allears:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

TTBF posted:

Oh you poor souls. I had an autistic friend whose other friends played a trick on him where they all decided to tell him Sucker Punch was a legitimately good movie. They even told him it'd help him understand women better. He was floored to hear from me that probably wasn't the case, so we decided to watch it together to make sure. I had a rather large (for me) amount of alcohol nearby, and that helped make the movie almost tolerable. My friend ended up not having any strong feelings about the movie, and was more confused as to why everyone had tried to convince him it'd be his new favorite movie. I can only imagine how much alcohol the four of you went through.

The alcohol might have been your problem. As we learned from the mailbag, weed is what you need. For the punishment shot, let's just say I was much happier on my first guest spot where I won the quiz. There was some disagreement over whether one of the ingredients was or was not expired.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Who made the Inception "BWOMMMM" noise at 23:50 in the Sucker Punch episode? :allears:

I think that one was Jared, I did the one at the end for the relevant rule.

Hewlett posted:

I'll re-step on toes here and say that the loser's shot (which I also had) was pretty loving awful. Jared is a punishment-shot tyrant. (Also, legit thanks Ironicus for getting the thread caught up - I've been super bad about updating since it often just seems like me just posting in here.)

Only just now watching your Revengeance LPs, and now I'm thirsty for some delicious spine-Gatorade.
The thing about Revengance is how it uses a lot of the same techniques to build excitement and investment where Sucker Punch uses them for alienation and disassociation.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I kind of liked my punishment shot.

But I was drunk.

And I like Malort and drink cheap whiskey straight, so my taste is questionable.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hey guys, I'm gonna get my Theatre of Blood episode posted tomorrow, but we've also gotten our episode schedule figured out through November. Here you go!

27-Jun Time After Time
4-Jul Air Force One
11-Jul Bingo
18-Jul Mallrats
25-Jul The Avengers (OR IS IT?)
1-Aug Batman: The Movie
8-Aug Clue
15-Aug SPECIAL FULL-LENGTH COMMENTARY EPISODE: TBA
22-Aug The Protector
29-Aug Flash Gordon
5-Sep Sunset
12-Sep 5000 Fingers of Dr. T
19-Sep The Breakfast Club
26-Sep Danger: Diabolik

For October, we're doing double features of original Universal monster flicks and a modern remake:
3-Oct Frankenstein/Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
10-Oct The Wolfman/The Wolfman
17-Oct The Mummy/The Mummy
24-Oct The Invisible Man/Hollow Man
31-Oct ALCOHOLLOWEEN SPECIAL: Dracula/Bram Stoker's Dracula

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hewlett posted:

25-Jul The Avengers (OR IS IT?)

This had better be the Fiennes/Thurman 1998 Avengers.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I Before E posted:

This had better be the Fiennes/Thurman 1998 Avengers.

Already done. We've got a whole different surprise in store.

Also, I can't tell you how happy I am to have convinced Jared to do Danger: Diabolik. I showed him this fan trailer and he was sold from frame one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSXNcN1muA

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 21, 2013

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hewlett posted:

4-Jul Air Force One

Oh poo poo, I could write an essay about how much I love this movie. Looking forward to this one.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I don't know how it took me so long to find this thread, I love movies, drinking, and games of all kinds immensely. I LOVE the Predator rules, and Total Recall is one of my favorite movies. I am watching Tremors right now and I wish I had thought of a game before I started. I am a huge movie geek so maybe someday I'll ask to co-comment on a movie I particularly know and love.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Samfucius posted:

I don't know how it took me so long to find this thread, I love movies, drinking, and games of all kinds immensely. I LOVE the Predator rules, and Total Recall is one of my favorite movies. I am watching Tremors right now and I wish I had thought of a game before I started. I am a huge movie geek so maybe someday I'll ask to co-comment on a movie I particularly know and love.

Holy poo poo I totally forgot about Tremors - I'm going to be putting that on my wishlist right away. Thanks for checking us out!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

When you say "Bingo" you do mean the dog movie that used to get played endlessly on the Disney Channel, right?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Hewlett posted:

For October, we're doing double features of original Universal monster flicks and a modern remake:
3-Oct Frankenstein/Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
10-Oct The Wolfman/The Wolfman
17-Oct The Mummy/The Mummy
24-Oct The Invisible Man/Hollow Man
31-Oct ALCOHOLLOWEEN SPECIAL: Dracula/Bram Stoker's Dracula

This makes me unreasonably happy. I love love love the old Universal Horror movies.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Geekboy posted:

This makes me unreasonably happy. I love love love the old Universal Horror movies.

Thanks! Yeah, we were originally going to just do the Universal Horror flicks, but we were concerned it was going to be a bit repetitive after awhile. That's why we added a remake, so we can do a bit of compare/contrast. If you wanna do one of them, let it be known!

Alfred: Yes, that is indeed the Bingo to which we are referring. Until Diabolik, all of these are listener requests; now that we've got the mailbag back from Some Manner of Detective, we want to get our docket cleared up quite a bit as our backlog of listener requests is huge.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Hewlett posted:

If you wanna do one of them, let it be known!

Not enough Janeane Garofolo ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

This week, Jared and I gab about the ridiculous-yet-amazing 1973 slasher Theatre of Blood, starring Vincent Price! Boy, that was a lot of fun to watch; it's one of the most bafflingly silly and entertaining 70s horror flicks I've ever seen, with some delightfully stylish direction and campy macabre thrills. This week, we basically attempt to break down the plot, talk about the film as a metatextual representation of Vincent Price's cry for legitimacy as an actor, and discuss the many convoluted Saw-meets-Shakespeare traps his victims fall prey to. It's delightful.

• Locked thread