Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm veering dangerously close to being 'that guy', but can someone explain the appeal of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke to me? It's topped the charts, and practically everyone I know (young and old alike) loves it, but I really don't get it. And yes, they like the song itself, not the video, though the top rated Youtube comment by Aj MacConville is rather amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Is Major Lazer pop? A week ago the music video for their newest single (Bubble Butt [feat. Bruno Mars, 2 Chainz, Tyga & Mystic]) dropped, and it's fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-NXv5Tma0

Major booty poppin ahead, and Bruno Mars raps. The music video is like a mix of B-movie with ridiculously silly twerking and impressive coreography by the twerk team they've got in the video.

But Bruno Mars raps in this, so you should watch it no matter what. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HJB posted:

I'm veering dangerously close to being 'that guy', but can someone explain the appeal of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke to me? It's topped the charts, and practically everyone I know (young and old alike) loves it, but I really don't get it. And yes, they like the song itself, not the video, though the top rated Youtube comment by Aj MacConville is rather amusing.

I first heard this song on Sunday when the Official Charts announced that it had retained the number one spot. I don't dislike it but I don't really see the fuss. It seems like it's following Justin Timberlake's most recent singles, to be honest.

Actually, it puts in mind of what the Art Of Noise version of "Kiss" might have sounded like if they'd had both Tom Jones and Prince on lead vocals.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Found Jen Armstrong's channel yesterday, you must check her out, amazing voice.

She does Covers:

Jen Armstrong - Wild Ones (Flo Rida cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FImOcBoEU8c

Jen Armstrong - Chariot (Gavin Degraw cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daPaNForrKo

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT29gXp6mss

Avicii's newest. I predict that this is going to be the We Found Love of 2013, and blow up just as big worldwide as that song did back in 2011.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Joramun posted:

Avicii's newest. I predict that this is going to be the We Found Love of 2013, and blow up just as big worldwide as that song did back in 2011.

I love what Avicii is doing. it's on a whole different level (or Levels ahahahaha) from what other pop-house producers have been putting out.

The new single by The Sounds isn't my favorite by them, but it's really growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7TGk9hjcbI

Between Pet Shop Boys, The Sounds, Avicii, Florrie, Tiesto, and Gaga, the back half of this year should be amazing. Be nice if one of them besides PSB would actually give us a release date though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Christmas Jones posted:

The new single by The Sounds isn't my favorite by them, but it's really growing on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7TGk9hjcbI

It's okay but it's no Fire or Hope You're Happy Now, that's for sure

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It's okay but it's no Fire or Hope You're Happy Now, that's for sure

The Sounds are one of my favorite bands, but I don't think they'll ever top their first album either. I love it from start to finish. The good news is that I think every album since then has had at least a couple stand out tracks, like "Hurt You" or "Midnight Sun" or "Dance With the Devil."

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Christmas Jones posted:

[…]

Between Pet Shop Boys, The Sounds, Avicii, Florrie, Tiesto, and Gaga, the back half of this year should be amazing. Be nice if one of them besides PSB would actually give us a release date though.

Not to mention new Goldfrapp, Kylie and Ladytron :getin:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I may be a big dumb dork about one of my favorite bands for a second, Relient K has a new album coming out July 2nd, and they released an adorably poppy song (feat. Owl City) about the big dumb pop songs they love as a little precursor to the album itself.

The two singles they've released so far are way poppier than their last album, which was (IMO) one of the best break-up albums ever, but edged a lot more on the rock side, while their new stuff sounds like Owl City (which isn't surprising as the two bands have collaborated a lot) or a slightly less sweeping/epic Fun. I think they just wanted to write a really pop-oriented album, and it sounds like they've done a good job. I've been a huge fan of them for a long time, so every new album is something to look forward to.

(also they're not that Jesus-y, so ignore your common sense that says "Christian bands suck", because you're not wrong 99% of the time)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Christmas Jones posted:

The Sounds are one of my favorite bands, but I don't think they'll ever top their first album either. I love it from start to finish. The good news is that I think every album since then has had at least a couple stand out tracks, like "Hurt You" or "Midnight Sun" or "Dance With the Devil."

Yea, the other stuff ain't bad Dying to say this to you has some good tracks on it for sure, Hurt You being one them as you said, that first stuff is just killer from start to finish. Rubicon is where they kinda lost me but maybe I need to give that album another listen. Also, if you like The Sounds you might also like Robyn, tho you probably didn't need me to tell you this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yoshifan823 posted:

The two singles they've released so far are way poppier than their last album, which was (IMO) one of the best break-up albums ever, but edged a lot more on the rock side, while their new stuff sounds like Owl City (which isn't surprising as the two bands have collaborated a lot) or a slightly less sweeping/epic Fun. I think they just wanted to write a really pop-oriented album, and it sounds like they've done a good job. I've been a huge fan of them for a long time, so every new album is something to look forward to.

No reason a rock band can't be pop as well.

In theory, anyway.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Loaf posted:

No reason a rock band can't be pop as well.

In theory, anyway.

Maybe "heavier" is the word I'm looking for. There's a lot less of the pop-punk guitar sound (though it's not gone by any means).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yoshifan823 posted:

Maybe "heavier" is the word I'm looking for. There's a lot less of the pop-punk guitar sound (though it's not gone by any means).

I might have phrased my post poorly. Check this out; why can't we describe this as a pop song? I'd say it's basically a pop song, if you get what I mean.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

:siren: THERE'S AN ANNIE/RICHARD X EP COMING AUGUST 5TH JESUS loving CHRIST :siren:

It's 5 songs, it's 'dance influenced pop', it's incredible.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
About time! It's been 4 years since Don't Stop came out. Also for more August news: Ellie's new single "Burn" will be out then and a new song of hers "You My Everything" was premiered on the end of Skins last night here.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Blodskur posted:

About time! It's been 4 years since Don't Stop came out. Also for more August news: Ellie's new single "Burn" will be out then and a new song of hers "You My Everything" was premiered on the end of Skins last night here.

Wow, I'm liking that sample of You My Everything. Daaaaang that'll be nice in high quality.

What's up with already doing new songs though? She only had 3 singles off of Halcyon and it hasn't even been a year. I would have liked to see Halcyon or Only You as single. Hell, even Don't Say A Word would be cool.

I hope she releases an official Halcyon Remixed album. I really loved the mixtape, but I want the tracks in higher quality!

fake edit: The Ending would have made the best single ever. I'm still surprised as gently caress that it never made it onto the real album.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sai-kun posted:

Wow, I'm liking that sample of You My Everything. Daaaaang that'll be nice in high quality.

What's up with already doing new songs though? She only had 3 singles off of Halcyon and it hasn't even been a year. I would have liked to see Halcyon or Only You as single. Hell, even Don't Say A Word would be cool.

I hope she releases an official Halcyon Remixed album. I really loved the mixtape, but I want the tracks in higher quality!

fake edit: The Ending would have made the best single ever. I'm still surprised as gently caress that it never made it onto the real album.

It's not really a whole lot different than her Lights release schedule, to compare:

[2009-11-09] Under the Sheets
[2010-02-22] Starry Eyed
[2010-03-01] Lights (Album)
[2010-05-17] Guns and Horses
[2010-08-08] The Writer
[2010-11-12] Your Song (Bright Lights single)
[2010-11-29] Bright Lights (273 days after Lights)
[2011-03-08] Lights (Bright Lights single)

[2012-09-30] Anything Could Happen
[2012-10-08] Halcyon
[2012-12-16] Figure 8
[2013-03-04] Explosions
[2013-08-11] Burn (Halcyon re-release single)
[2013-08-25] Assumed Halcyon re-release date (321 days after Halcyon)

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 2, 2013

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Apologies for the double post but Ellie posted Burn onto her Soundcloud! Turns out it was a Leona Lewis song that didn't make it to her latest album and was written by Ryan Tedder, Michael Kutzle and Noel Zancanella.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Aaaahhh gently caress, that's really awesome. Dang, can't wait to hear the rest of this stuff!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Pop pop pop pop!

Annie - Back Together

Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Flatline

Full version of Ellie's You, My Everything

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Guys, the new Pet Shop Boys album is so good. So, so good. Now I really liked Elysium, but it did have a couple of clunkers on it (not sure I'm ever going to listen to Winner or Give It A Go again). But Electric is good from start to end. Hell, a lot better than good in some places. Love Is A Bourgeois Construct is as fantastic as its name suggests, Example's part on Thursday (which I was a bit apprehensive about) is great, and even those that might have been lesser songs (like Inside A Dream) have something about them that pushes them AT LEAST above average (that great bassline in case of Inside A Dream). I really hope Electric goes over better with the public and fan base than Elysium did, because it really deserves it.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

gandlethorpe posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

Heard this for the first time on my local alternative station on my way to work. Listened to it over and over at work. Heard it again on the same station at lunch, and I'm sure I'll hear it again driving home. With the way indie/alternative acts have been blowing up lately, I wouldn't be surprised if this song gets huge in the US.

Girl is talented, only 16, and already hit #1 in her native New Zealand.

I prefer this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Ymd-OCucs Yeah!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Owns.

DominoDancing posted:

Guys, the new Pet Shop Boys album is so good. So, so good. Now I really liked Elysium, but it did have a couple of clunkers on it (not sure I'm ever going to listen to Winner or Give It A Go again). But Electric is good from start to end. Hell, a lot better than good in some places. Love Is A Bourgeois Construct is as fantastic as its name suggests, Example's part on Thursday (which I was a bit apprehensive about) is great, and even those that might have been lesser songs (like Inside A Dream) have something about them that pushes them AT LEAST above average (that great bassline in case of Inside A Dream). I really hope Electric goes over better with the public and fan base than Elysium did, because it really deserves it.

Yeah, saw them live last weekend, they played some Electric songs. It was pretty loving great.

Khagan posted:

I prefer this one Yeah!

Yeah, Lorde owns.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

You My Everything and Burn are fire (haha dang i'm clever). Hyped. Sad that The Ending won't make it onto Halcyon Days. More people need to hear it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm not a huge fan of Britney Spears, but there are some songs I do enjoy listening to from her and her album Femme Fatale was a surprisingly enjoyable pop-record. She released her newest song Ooh La La (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVcSNnqRD0c), and oh my god it's all over the loving place. What is this song trying to be? A dance song? A "cute" acoustic song? And that bridge is just the worst.

Luckily, Gaga's back from her rest and media silence, and her new album now has a release date! :woop: Single's coming out in mid August while the album drops on the 11th of November. I'm really excited to hear what she's been working on, but I'm actually somewhat worried that it really won't be selling big due to the disappointment that was Born This Way. I mean, I love Born This Way but it's marketing made it seem like it was the coming of Christ and that Gaga was going to save everyone musically. It took some time for me to enjoy, but in the end it really is the best songs Gaga have made but I'm not sure what Gaga can do now. She could pull a Madonna and release a Ray of Light-like album, but now that acoustic guitars and funk music is, as far as I've noticed, the new big things in pop-music, maybe Gaga has to release some record to show off her piano/jazz skills. I would pre-order that album in a heartbeat :3:

Then again, I am no pop music analytic so her album could be the greatest thing ever to happen to pop music this decade :shrug:

Edit: By the way! Natalia Kills has released two music videos these last two weeks with new songs and holy poo poo they're awesome.

Problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrZI6OmezE
Saturday Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnD_efmM6s
My favorite one is Saturday Night because, for me, she sounds like an entertaining and not-boring Lana del Rey. The chorus is pretty great too.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 14, 2013

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Came here to post this. Electric is end-to-end great but in particular "Love is a Bourgeois Construct" and "Thursday" are loving amazing. I really didn't think PSB had another great album in them but they sure shut me up. It really doesn't sound like the work of an 80s band at all. Both of the singles so far sound like things I might actually hear at my local gay club on a good night.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Stalins Moustache posted:

Edit: By the way! Natalia Kills has released two music videos these last two weeks with new songs and holy poo poo they're awesome.

Problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrZI6OmezE
Saturday Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnD_efmM6s
My favorite one is Saturday Night because, for me, she sounds like an entertaining and not-boring Lana del Rey. The chorus is pretty great too.

Oh my word, I love Saturday Night -- I really hope this is the direction Natalia's moving in, it's great.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

DominoDancing posted:

It's seriously the best release of 2013 so far. Thursday & Love is a Bourgeoise Contract are the standouts to me, but there really isn't a weak link on the whole album.

On an unrelated note, I forgot what a great song Ace Reject is.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'Electric' feels like the boys going 'fine you want some bangers here's some loving bangers'.

Also the Annie EP is loving ridiculous holy poo poo.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
These guys are definitely one of the most underrated pop acts ever. Private are the closest to the MJ era of pop I've heard in and for a long time.

Private - My Secret Lover

Private - We Got Some Breaking Up To Do

Private - I Can't Wait

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

mogran posted:

These guys are definitely one of the most underrated pop acts ever. Private are the closest to the MJ era of pop I've heard in and for a long time.

Private - My Secret Lover

Private - We Got Some Breaking Up To Do

Private - I Can't Wait

This is amazing, how have I not heard of them before??

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I heard Lorde's "Royals" on a mainstream pop station for the first time today. Calling it now, it's gonna be huge. Well, I called it a few weeks/pages ago too, but now it's almost certain.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Rebecca Black has made a cover of Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop", and I promise you it is nothing like what you expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUQE2forhk

:psypop:

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Joramun posted:

Rebecca Black has made a cover of Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop", and I promise you it is nothing like what you expected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlUQE2forhk

:psypop:

Hahaha, yeah.

The "singers" are both auto-tuned to death.

The song has no soul whatsoever.

Here's a good new pop song:

Annie - Invisible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POF-M8tW6Ec

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Saw Ellie Goulding's DJ set last night in Chicago. She's not a fantastic DJ, but she did play a sweet remix of Burn, and also a new song from Halcyon Days called "Gold" (previously Midas Touch I'm assuming), which was cool. Got some video of it but not sure how great it is.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
The new Katy Perry song sounds exactly like this Sara Barielles song. (Both songs are really forgettable with cliched lyrics, I'm not not a fan.)

Also Lady Gaga's new single is finally out and it owns.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

gandlethorpe posted:

I heard Lorde's "Royals" on a mainstream pop station for the first time today. Calling it now, it's gonna be huge. Well, I called it a few weeks/pages ago too, but now it's almost certain.

Someone posted it in this thread back in January! Its been going for awhile

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

I just caught this on the radio for the first time and you're quite right, I can't stop listening to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've said before that I couldn't believe how bad a Katy Perry single was. And, to note, I do like some of her singles. That said, holy poo poo I can't believe how bad that song is.