Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I always feel a little depressed when I look through projects on Kickstarter and see a bunch that have no chance of being funded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Great Rumbler posted:

I always feel a little depressed when I look through projects on Kickstarter and see a bunch that have no chance of being funded.

Doubly so when you realize that a Kickstarter for a "how to be a rapist" book just passed its funding goal multiple times over today.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
:stonk:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

Doubly so when you realize that a Kickstarter for a "how to be a rapist" book just passed its funding goal multiple times over today.

For when "Hello, how are you?" is just too difficult.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 19, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
E: It's awful, it shouldn't take you more than a few seconds to find, etc etc

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 19, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
There is an Awful Kickstarters thread where it's already been brought up / discussed, do we really need to bring this garbage into the gaming thread?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Good point, never mind.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Well fine, we don't have to have this discussion but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant here, especially given that Kickstarter has shut down games for similar material before. It's certainly given me pause as to whether I'm going to support even gaming Kickstarters, and it's also pretty confusing given that Kickstarter shut down that trading card tentacle rape game, for instance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

seorin posted:

A new metroidvania called Dark Matter just showed up, created by the guys who made Nuclear Dawn. It reminds me a lot of Shadow Complex, and I imagine it's going to hit a lot of the right buttons for people.

I can see why they put "dark" in the name, those screenshots give Doom 3 a run for its money.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Al! posted:

Well fine, we don't have to have this discussion but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant here, especially given that Kickstarter has shut down games for similar material before. It's certainly given me pause as to whether I'm going to support even gaming Kickstarters, and it's also pretty confusing given that Kickstarter shut down that trading card tentacle rape game, for instance.
We really don't need to have this discussion here. Period.

Instead, here is a Kickstarter I wish were funding better. I was one of the beta players for it, and it's really fun, and I'm not entirely sure why it isn't doing better. It's a tabletop game, but what do you want, I needed an obvious distraction on the quick.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
There are two small adventure game KS projects I've backed that haven't gotten a lot of attention, alas.

Harvest is a Snatcher-inspired menu-based adventure game set in a dystopian neo-Detroit.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1840293109/harvest-0

The minimum pledge for a digital copy is $20 though, which may be too steep for many people. The action sequences don't sound too enticing as well, but personally I don't mind them much either.

Alum, on the other hand, is your typical "old school" Sierra/Lucas Arts-like point'n'click adventure game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11227813/alum-a-sierra-lucasarts-style-pointandclick-advent

Nothing too sophisticated about this one, but the screens look nice enough and they're only asking for $10. Too bad they're really far away from their $10,000 goal with just 14 days to go.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Worth noting that Combat Cats is 48 dollars away from funding with a week to go. :3:

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

Orzo posted:

There is an Awful Kickstarters thread where it's already been brought up / discussed, do we really need to bring this garbage into the gaming thread?

Seriously, when Megatokyo has a visual novel KickStarter up, there is no reason to go outside gaming to talk about awful, awful KickStarters.

Edit: Haha, I clicked it, and unless he's picked poor/old pieces to put up, his art has not progressed at all since last I read that (I guess over a decade ago?).

Adam Kensai fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 20, 2013

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Adam Kensai posted:

Seriously, when Megatokyo has a visual novel KickStarter up, there is no reason to go outside gaming to talk about awful, awful KickStarters.

Edit: Haha, I clicked it, and unless he's picked poor/old pieces to put up, his art has not progressed at all since last I read that (I guess over a decade ago?).

Check the dates. The 'newest' comic he put up as a sample is from 2001.
Not that that means much. Here's strip 132. And here's strip 1,362. Can you tell the difference?

Edit: Holy poo poo, I just realized; all three posted samples are from before he took over control as sole writer of the comic. Wow, that sure inspires confidence.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Kyrosiris posted:

Worth noting that Combat Cats is 48 dollars away from funding with a week to go. :3:

And they've made it :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zereth posted:

You jerk!

Now I need to find a way to afford a WiiU! :argh:

The red X looks rather similar to the Xenogears logo as well. Imagine if it's an HD Xenogears that actually gets finished/balanced and made with Xenoblade-style gameplay.

Kenshin posted:

Because the game is 80% done or something, the guy has been working on it for several years by himself.

He needs to hire some people to help him finish it up.

Thinking it'll cost 20k to make a single player game in to a multiplayer game is a gross understatement though. Even when games like Broken Age and Wasteland were kickstarted they were single player with no indication of adding multiplayer because doing so (and having it work well) is not cheap and has rather extensive effects on a game. Multiplayer in that kind of game would be cool but it's not something you can just tack on and expect it to work.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I missed the KS but I hear a few people whining about this, why? Everything I see looks great.

Probably because of the lack of overlays or heavy Matrix-based gameplay. The later does suck somewhat but honestly a lot of the decking in the SNES/Genesis games have rose tinted glasses at this point. They were neat (the SNES one was simple as hell) but neither was the core thing you did all the time (unless you really wanted to on Genesis I suppose).

Hakkesshu posted:

I agree, but to be fair it could come out and be incredibly buggy and only have like 4 hours of content in it.

Except backers of a certain tier or higher will have been making their own campaigns in the editor since last month and among those will be ones that are good and add hours of worthwhile content even if the main game were some crazy short thing. Bugs could be an issue but I really don't see content being one. Worst case scenario it's like NWN: mediocre main campaign but various good player made ones.

Someone's remaking the SNES game in the editor as well, which could be fun depending on how they work with the SRR combat system vs what the SNES one had.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
It'll be interesting to see how some of the mechanics of the SNES game will translate to the modern remake project. Resting, random encounters. I've been regretting not shelling out the extra money for the editor.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

:words:
Shadowrun Returns:

Probably because of the lack of overlays or heavy Matrix-based gameplay. The later does suck somewhat but honestly a lot of the decking in the SNES/Genesis games have rose tinted glasses at this point. They were neat (the SNES one was simple as hell) but neither was the core thing you did all the time (unless you really wanted to on Genesis I suppose).

Because this:

are so much more fun and amazing than (potentially) this:

You're right. Super rose-tinted. It's all a bit silly, but what are you going to do? :v:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone being kind of put-off by the stretch goals for Boss Fight Books? They announced that the creator of the ZZT book, Anna Anthropy, would make a new game in ZZT if the stretch goal was reached. It was and then they announced that the ZZT game would only be made if someone pledged to a new $1000 goal, because she deserved to be paid for it. Fair enough, but why was that even a bloody stretch goal then? The new goal they just passed is the opportunity to buy original artwork for $500, limited to 10 backers.

I know there's only so much you can do with a book, but these stretch goals have nothing to do with the actual funding, you have to buy them anyway, they might as well have just put them up as tiers to begin with.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want to see the most awkward as hell Kickstart video? Introducing Bowblade

He's XTREME with a capital SCIENCE.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress that. If I'd pledged to Boss Fight Books, that stunt would have made me cancel in an instant. I mean, isn't that one of the things that a stretch goal is for, 'If we raise an extra thousand dollars, we can afford to hire X to do Y!'?

As for Shadowrun, screwing around in the Matrix can screw itself for all I care. Simulating cyberdecking or plugging your brain into the Internet has never not been a cheap gimmick or a hugely awkward pain in the rear end on the computer or (god forbid) as part of tabletop gaming. If they did, then you'd get people complaining that it doesn't let them make their own programs, or decks, or any other thing they'd be happier playing Decker for.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Infinitum posted:

"Just how Rockband instruments lets you really rock out. You're not shooting, you're just tapping!"
This was so extremely awkward that I feel like hiding under my bed and never ever ever come out again.

And seriously, this whole crap again?
Is the whole "For gamers, by gamers!" even a fraction of a good pitch anymore?

DancingPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 21, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Original_Z posted:

Anyone being kind of put-off by the stretch goals for Boss Fight Books? They announced that the creator of the ZZT book, Anna Anthropy, would make a new game in ZZT if the stretch goal was reached. It was and then they announced that the ZZT game would only be made if someone pledged to a new $1000 goal, because she deserved to be paid for it. Fair enough, but why was that even a bloody stretch goal then? The new goal they just passed is the opportunity to buy original artwork for $500, limited to 10 backers.

I know there's only so much you can do with a book, but these stretch goals have nothing to do with the actual funding, you have to buy them anyway, they might as well have just put them up as tiers to begin with.

HAha, what? She deserves to be paid for it? You reached the loving stretch goal, that's the payment!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wendell posted:

HAha, what? She deserves to be paid for it? You reached the loving stretch goal, that's the payment!

Not exactly, no. She does deserve to be paid for it, they're just doing it wrong - they should be paying for it by making it a $5 or $10 add on to your pledge, the same way FATE Core worked with some of their unlocked additions.

Edit: Unless they promised it would be a free addition to existing pledges, then that would be some bait and switch bullshit

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 21, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

How is that not the payment? That's what stretch goals are, "If you give us this much money we will be able to afford adding this feature." So they are able to afford to pay this fool to make a ZZT game because they met the goal, right?!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Infinitum posted:

quote:

It’s only entertaining for so long because you feel (and look) kinda silly.
This is what they are saying about tilting a mobile device to encourage you to instead attach that device to a hula hoop with a button on it.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Wendell posted:

How is that not the payment? That's what stretch goals are, "If you give us this much money we will be able to afford adding this feature." So they are able to afford to pay this fool to make a ZZT game because they met the goal, right?!

Yeah, that's how it seems.

On the original page for stretch goals:

"$20,000 - New Tier: ZZT Game UNLOCKED - After she writes her book, Anna Anthropy is going to make a brand new game in ZZT. One backer will get to decide what the game is about, where it takes place, and who the main character is! Once the game is complete, Anna and Boss Fight will release the new game, crediting you as co-creator."

Once it was surpassed, we got this update:

"I'm excited to report that we've hit our $20,000 stretch goal and unlocked a new tier:

NEW ZZT GAME TIER *** After she writes her book, Anna Anthropy will make a brand new game in ZZT. You will get to decide what the game is about, where it takes place, and who the main character is. Once the game is complete, Anna and Boss Fight will release the new game, crediting you as co-creator.

This tier's a little pricier, and here's why: Anna's a professional and if she's going to make a new game, she deserves to get paid for it. I'd love for someone to take us up on this. It would mean that Boss Fight would have a role in putting a new game into the world."

Someone did buy the tier, but if no one did then I guess the stretch goal would have been for nothing? Makes no sense why this stuff has to be a stretch goal if we still have to pay for it. Good think we managed to unlock the "game art tier" so 10 people can pay $500 to get original artwork!

This stretch goal is also really important to reach:

"$50,000 - Book #6 Author Revealed - The author of our fan-selected Book #6 revealed!"

Oh boy, let me get my wallet out!

Original_Z fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 21, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The stretch goal explicitly says hitting 20k unlocks the tier, not the game itself. It's not misleading, but it's kind of a dumb way to do it. It should have just been a tier to begin with.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It sucks, because the book I want to read the most out of this series is ZZT, but I have lost all interest in the project.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Verdugo posted:

It sucks, because the book I want to read the most out of this series is ZZT, but I have lost all interest in the project.

You aren't interested in Did You Know Super Mario 2 Is Actually A Japanese Game Called Doki Doki Panic: The Book?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Verdugo posted:

A kickstarter making a tier you thought was handled badly is enough to stop you from spending five bucks on a pdf of a book you want?

I don't understand the standards in this thread sometimes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wendell posted:

That's just not true at all. Stretch goals aren't always about adding on freebies to existing pledges, especially in projects about physical goods. The additional pledge money can merely pay for molds or the time of an artist - people still need to buy the items to cover materials and production costs. Sometimes it's not even that - in the FATE Core project I mentioned, one of the stretch goals was to unlock Shadow of the Century for their development queue. No backers received that, if they want it they need to back the Shadow of the Century kickstarter coming up in the future, which was made possible in the short term by all of the money that went into FATE Core at that point in time.

The $1k backer tier is a lovely way of doing it, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with stretch goals unlocking items that backers need to pay more money for in order to get - go and look at every minis kickstarter ever

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That's why I asked if I was right, my snotty friend.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

elf help book posted:

You aren't interested in Did You Know Super Mario 2 Is Actually A Japanese Game Called Doki Doki Panic: The Book?

If it's even half as good as their videos, I would certainly invest money in Kyle and Keith writing a retrospective.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I'd really like to see Unrest hit its $45k stretch goal, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

I'd really like to see Unrest hit its $45k stretch goal, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/698883673/unrest-an-unconventional-rpg-set-in-ancient-india

Yeah, there's 3 hours left, so if you haven't donated now's a good time to get in.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Did Our Darker Purpose hit in here yet?

Looks a bit like Binding of Isaac. Maybe too much like, can't decide. Regardless, looks competent / nifty.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Goon favorite Roguelike Cataclysm just put up a kickstarter to hire a full-time developer:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568375735/cataclysm-dark-days-ahead-dedicated-developer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Can somebody dig up the fan art of naked Wildman for me?

Don't ask any questions...