Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I bought this.

It needs some work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Some rust and a busted fender, what else is wrong?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

j.peeba posted:

Yeah, that's the guy. And yup, five speed and de dion.

Naturally, it's a great car on empty roads but somewhat surprisingly it is very enjoyable in the city as well since the reactions of pedestrians and other motorists for this car are so entertaining. Kids are always giving it a thumbs up or doing the "throttling a moped" wrist flick and tourists are snapping photos of it while waiting in the lights. :)

Awesome -- my father has a '91 "Super Sprint" with the de dion rear and a 1700cc Kent cross flow. I was recently back home and drove it for the first time in a couple of year and hilarious is the right word to describe the driving experience. Enjoy!

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

real_scud posted:

From the scoop up top I'm guessing Right hand drive WRX from maybe late 90's/Early 2000?

What are those roof scoops used for anyways?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Linux Nazi posted:

What are those roof scoops used for anyways?

Cooling off the driver / codriver when racing.
Also to look cool for street cars.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

These Optima posts are gettin me excited. And then this blew my mind

This completely explains why I thought the Optima looked like the Audi's I was interested in. This whole exchange has been great because Megiddo's post is from '11 which means I might be able to find a certified pre-owned one and not have to buy new to get the style I like. The style that Megido has is exactly what I want, and I thought they only started this year. That blue looks amazing but I think the grill and stuff looks better against white. Otherwise, if the car is a dark color the grill seems to look like a gaping void and that your grill is busted.

Just to throw out a just-over-a-year ownership report, I can say I've had zero problems and just oil changes for maintenance. I'd be interested to hear from Megiddo if there's any wear on the front seat mesh. I know one of the '11 to '12 changes was to remove the mesh on the front of the seat bottoms where your legs actually rub on it, because obviously that'd see the most wear, but as much as I like the look of it, I feel like it's just a matter of time before I snag something on the side part.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Cooling off the driver / codriver when racing.
Also to look cool for street cars.

Makes sense. That's actually kinda clever.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I thought roof scoops also had the added bonus of creating a positive pressure area in the cabin keeping dust out.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

volvoowners.jpg

Why only two? You need a sedan and a wagon, at the very least. Then a parts car for each of the different fuel injection types (either discrete cars or leaving the harder to find gubbins stuffed in one of the wagons). Then one waiting to receive the V8 swap. Among those needs to be at least one automatic and one manual, as well as one with cloth seats and one leather of course. All of the cars run at the very least, however all but 2 are non-drivers because the blower motors are broken. Playing with Lego is serious business.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 20, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

McTinkerson posted:

I thought roof scoops also had the added bonus of creating a positive pressure area in the cabin keeping dust out.

Thats why Rally Cars have them.

To contribute:

BEEP BEEP
New Jeep

The only downside is me wondering why the gently caress I didnt buy one years ago.

(because the engine was poo poo til 2012)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can the front wind shield still be laid down forward?

EDIT: Woah you can. And it looks completely retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhDjt41GXI

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 20, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ziploc posted:

Oh my goodness, it really does. A far cry from my old Scrambler where you twisted a couple big knobs off and push lay the bastard down. Granted, the new on is probably far more water tight, but jesus christ, it's (supposed to be) a Jeep, who cares.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Modern jeeps are fashion accessories, not utilitarian vehicles. You can make them into utilitarian vehicles (well, the Wrangler, at least), or use them that way, but it's more painful than it should be because Chrysler has to actually find a way to sell the drat things.

It's sad, but not much you can do about it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Modern jeeps are fashion accessories, not utilitarian vehicles. You can make them into utilitarian vehicles (well, the Wrangler, at least), or use them that way, but it's more painful than it should be because Chrysler has to actually find a way to sell the drat things.

Can you blame them though? It has to be a decent car because there are plenty of other options out there.

That being said, Jeeps is the choice of Teen Moms every where. (according to MTV)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Can you blame them though? It has to be a decent car because there are plenty of other options out there.

That being said, Jeeps is the choice of Teen Moms every where. (according to MTV)

Not really, they have to make money somehow. And a barebones utilitarian vehicle with truck suspension that leaks in rainstorms isn't a big seller these days.

86boy
Apr 22, 2013

Das Volk posted:

You know what must be done.

I already put in 2 pumps 4 dumps 6 batteries. Its well on its way. Need to find another X-frame and reinforce it before I attempt to hop it/3 wheel it due to me not wanting to royally screw the car up. ;-)

G-Mach posted:

You should tell us about the AE86 and the FD.

Well here's the story of the ae86. The short story... I bought the AE86 to drift, and has been used for that. Lots of suspension and swapped in the 4AGZE. That thread need to be updated badly, but has 90% its life. I've been slackin'. Also ignore any frustration posts... Hahaha

http://www.86garage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3762

The FD3S I picked up a few months ago, and just got it running again. Only issue it has currently is it likes to run rich at idle. Although the throttle body was WAY out of spec, the vacuum solenoids were shot, vacuum lines were messed up, TPS wasn't set right, and a bunch of other small issues. It now starts every time just need to get the little things adjusted, and mess with a couple other things. For now its just a weekend warrior in a sense.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

86boy posted:

Here's my 1964 impala that is currently getting another engine since the last one failed.

What's up Impala buddy? What's your plan for that baby?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kastein posted:

Well they sold one to me by making it useable on a daily basis. It's actually a nice place to be, and I can still fit all my work poo poo in the back, or take the roof off.

It ticked a lot of boxes for me, I wanted to replace the utility of my Xterra with something just as good for working in the bush or ski trips at the same time. Plus being able to get it with modern electronics is a huge plus.

I'm never going to fold the windshield down, I'm sure the only reason you can still do it is so they can say you can still do it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've got nothing against the JK, I'll be honest, they're very nice and quite capable, and they finally did the right thing and beefed up the axle designs*. Especially the ones with the good engine. Except the price that is, I paid as much for my house as a new JK costs. That's mostly on me though, I'm cheap.

It's basically the replacement for the XJ and the TJ/YJ in one - live axles, good drivetrain, solid offroad, still fairly comfy.

I just wish they still made something like the YJ/CJ. Sadly, that will never ever happen, as BrokenKnucklez and I already bitched about.

e: :argh: god damnit Jeep build another pickup please that isn't a SUT conversion kit with a comically small bed :argh: (will also never happen)

* the 30 and 44 are substantially improved over even a previously built 30 or 44, and 35s only came in a few first year models. Hell, finally dumping the 35 rear in their offroader is probably one of the best suspension/driveline decisions Jeep has ever made.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 20, 2013

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Can the front wind shield still be laid down forward?

Does anyone actually do it though? I haven't seen a Jeep with the windshield folded down since the mid-90s, and even then it was a CJ.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

DropShadow posted:

Does anyone actually do it though? I haven't seen a Jeep with the windshield folded down since the mid-90s, and even then it was a CJ.

Well besides that its probably illegal on public roads, and dumb for anything except low speed wheeling i guess... You get enough "outside" with the roof off and doors off anyway.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

D C posted:

Well besides that its probably illegal on public roads, and dumb for anything except low speed wheeling i guess...

Wouldn't it... Like... Flip back up and smash?

It is the most bizarre 'feature'.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ziploc posted:

Wouldn't it... Like... Flip back up and smash?

It is the most bizarre 'feature'.

There's a loop on the hood and on the windshield frame. Piece of rope and it's all tied down.

Topless/doorless/windshieldless is a tremendously fun way to ride around, especially if you have a Jeep with a little lift.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

D C posted:

Well they sold one to me by making it useable on a daily basis. It's actually a nice place to be, and I can still fit all my work poo poo in the back, or take the roof off.

It ticked a lot of boxes for me, I wanted to replace the utility of my Xterra with something just as good for working in the bush or ski trips at the same time. Plus being able to get it with modern electronics is a huge plus.

I'm never going to fold the windshield down, I'm sure the only reason you can still do it is so they can say you can still do it.

Does it still feel like it has a flywheel made of Nickel-62?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Das Volk posted:

Does it still feel like it has a flywheel made of Nickel-62?

Its an auto.

86boy
Apr 22, 2013

11BulletCatcher posted:

What's up Impala buddy? What's your plan for that baby?

Plan is to get it back up and running currently. Haha! Gotta mess with the timing now after swapping the engine out. I want to redo the hydraulics since I installed them when I was 17 and had no real idea of wtf I was doing. So it looks like rear end but whatevs for now. I'm planning on redoing the hydros, wrapping the frame, get real springs, interior, clean and simple exterior, and do bad rear end poo poo with it! Hahaha

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

86boy posted:

Plan is to get it back up and running currently. Haha! Gotta mess with the timing now after swapping the engine out. I want to redo the hydraulics since I installed them when I was 17 and had no real idea of wtf I was doing. So it looks like rear end but whatevs for now. I'm planning on redoing the hydros, wrapping the frame, get real springs, interior, clean and simple exterior, and do bad rear end poo poo with it! Hahaha

Without further adieu, here's mine:

Some rear end in a top hat backed into me last summer a screwed up my lines

:smith:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Bought a new car for the wife last night. First time I've ever had a brand new car.

2013 Ford Escape 1.6 Turbo

It's the SE model, but we optioned the nice Sync system with navagation. I'm really impressed with the system Ford put together.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Well I needed a new ride after my 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara got smashed to bits thanks to my brother. I bought this TJ a couple of months ago, although I've added a nudge bar/some body mods + aux lights since then.

Haters gonna hate:

My other ride:

SBJ fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 21, 2013

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

My daily driver. I go everywhere in this little guy, shows, work, and vacation. Never let me down so far.

1958, 1776 engine with twin carbs, disc brakes, adjustable front/rear suspension height, perfect interior, and best of all, not a spot of rust (anymore at least).

Love that car :3:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

PhoenixWing posted:

No poo poo. So do I. So clean, so pretty.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

PhoenixWing posted:

1958, 1776 engine with twin carbs, disc brakes, adjustable front/rear suspension height, perfect interior, and best of all, not a spot of rust (anymore at least).

That thing looks great, I've always wanted one of those just to see how they are.

My old car is mid detail, this is one of many in-progress teaser shots.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2013

86boy
Apr 22, 2013

11BulletCatcher posted:

Without further adieu, here's mine:

Niiiiice! I LOVE the early 60s Chevy's. Idk what it is....but I'm slightly obsessed. That poor rear quarter panel! You keep in it OEM?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

PhoenixWing posted:

My daily driver. I go everywhere in this little guy, shows, work, and vacation. Never let me down so far.

I. Hate. Yooooooooooooou. Ok, maybe not so but I'm entirely way too jealous.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I've wanted a nice aircooled VW since I was like 16. I'm pretty jealous.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

PhoenixWing posted:

Kudos for daily driving a classic car! looks great :)

I miss driving a real car that I love everyday but don't miss worring about parking it in lovely places or in car parks where it collects dents and scratches, or stressing about not having the time to keep up with the maintenance on it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

That thing looks great, I've always wanted one of those just to see how they are.

My old car is mid detail, this is one of many in-progress teaser shots.

God I love this. Something about the front, it's so simple but defined.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

86boy posted:

Niiiiice! I LOVE the early 60s Chevy's. Idk what it is....but I'm slightly obsessed. That poor rear quarter panel! You keep in it OEM?

More or less, I want to keep the factory appearance outside, but with a red interior and a modern sound system. Since I live in Florida I'm debating ac, but I probably won't add it. I desperately need my 283 gone through, though.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxyEquQqBgE&t=4s

I sure showed that Integra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What was your time? I heard the number "11" being called out.