Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Well that was also their second album, so yeah. They had been touring and playing shows for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Run Dodo Run posted:

Anyone heard anything about this 'industrial supergroup' Primitive Race?

Apparently it consists of 'Chris Vrenna (tweaker, nin, manson), Luc Van Acker (revco), Raymond Watts (pig, kmfdm), Dave Ogilvie (skinny puppy, call me maybe (really)), Mark Thwaite (revco/ministry), Graham Crabb (pop will eat itself), Erie Loch (idk? ministry/revco remixes?), Chris Kniker (lords of acid) and more!'

They've got a kickstarter (which, to be fair, they've hit) and all. Go to a baseball game with their manager for $100:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-primitive-race-make-limited-edition-merch-while-in-studio

No clips whatsoever so far I think?
https://www.facebook.com/primitiveraceband

Nice to see Watts back making proper music, and that isn't a bad lineup.

Were "RevCo Soundsystem" a rebranded Revolting Cocks or some kind of related project? Whoever they were, they were one of the worst bands I've ever seen live, when I caught them in 2007 or thereabouts.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

The Cleaner posted:

Thanks man! Glad ya like it.

Also congrats on getting with Artoffact. I'm super jealous, I've been trying to get their attention. In any case, I'm looking forward to hearing more from you guys.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Cleaner posted:

As a couple goons might remember, spider_ross.avi and myself make up the band Volt 9000, and our 4th album "CONOPOLY" just came out yesterday on Artoffact Records. It's our first ever label release so I'm gonna spam it here because..

A. Spider_ross and myself met on SA Forums
B. Musicians Lounge goons helped us out alot in the beginning
C. Our last album got mostly positive responses here

Heavily influenced by Ohgr and Skinny Puppy, so while it's a little awkward having it released so closely to Weapon, I think it stands far enough apart in our sound design and direction. You can check out the single/video "Toybox" below if yer curious... otherwise the album is out now on iTunes and Artoffact! Thanks guys.

http://youtu.be/mZ5SXAXdBcs

TWITTER says you're playing Toronto soon, yes? What are the deets!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Twiin posted:

TWITTER says you're playing Toronto soon, yes? What are the deets!

We're playing a live show Thurs June 27th with Prospero, Encephalon, and Legend in Toronto..
$10 gets you in and a free album of your choice from one of the four bands:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/511746478860936/

It's a small club too so WHo knows what hijinks will happen? Maybe we will light the place on fire! Maybe our sequencing laptop will go blue-screen-of-death mid setlist and we'll smash it! Who knows!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Cleaner posted:

We're playing a live show Thurs June 27th with Prospero, Encephalon, and Legend in Toronto..

It's a small club too so WHo knows what hijinks will happen? Maybe we will light the place on fire! Maybe our sequencing laptop will go blue-screen-of-death mid setlist and we'll smash it! Who knows!

Good ole Encephalon. I put on their first-ever concert in Ottawa. I'll see you there! I'll be the guy wearing all black.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'll be there too. I'll be the goon.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hopefully it's ok to pimp out a friend's debut album.

The Aesthetics of Failure by The .invalid

If you're in the UK, you might have caught him doing a support slot recently, or seen him as part of Cease2Exist at Resistanz, but he's now released his debut album and (in my biased opinion) it's pretty awesome. There's samples on the link and it's well worth giving them a try, since his sound is kinda hard to describe with aspects of EBM, futurepop and terror EBM all thrown in there.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Good stuff, reminds me of Fractured a bit.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Cevin key is doing a one off dj set in Dallas on August 4th. You kind of know what to expect with a solo Cevin Key show, him standing up there looking blazed out of his mind playing random samples and the occasional track from one of his side projects. Its usually pretty fun though, just a heads up for anyone in the Dallas area.

kangal
Mar 16, 2003

Pissed off at numbers.

The Cleaner posted:

As a couple goons might remember, spider_ross.avi and myself make up the band Volt 9000, and our 4th album "CONOPOLY" just came out yesterday on Artoffact Records.

Hey pal. not for nothing but "Toybox" is probably the best slow jam I've heard this year.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Were "RevCo Soundsystem" a rebranded Revolting Cocks or some kind of related project? Whoever they were, they were one of the worst bands I've ever seen live, when I caught them in 2007 or thereabouts.

and whatever happened to pigface?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
New Funker Vogt song is a little bit less self-parodying than Hard Way but not by much.

[edit]

In other news, I know it's not really right for this genre but this is the only music thread I post in so whatever.
I saw Die Antwoord last Friday in Manchester and even if you don't like them musically or stylistically I would have to implore you to see them live. It was one of the best gigs I've been to in my life.
The way everyone was just tribally and mutually enjoying the music with such reckless abandon combined with the particularly heavy percussion of the mixing really reminded me of the best industrial gigs I've been to. I think everyone here would really enjoy seeing them. They were amazing. (and Ninja crowdsurfed and I got to touch his shoulder omg)

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 25, 2013

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

boo_radley posted:

and whatever happened to pigface?

They released a new album back in 2009 I think? Atkins spends most of his time not paying royalties plugging his books and doing seminars nowadays.

Queen Of Spades
Jul 5, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone planning on braving the flood aftermath and hitting up Terminus this weekend? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't dreading it a tiny bit but too late to cancel now.

Hopeful some decent performances should cheer up my weekend.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Let me in :mad:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So I never spotted you after your set, though I did manage to buy spider_ross.avi a drink. Especially for your first show, I thought it was awesome.

The Monsanto stuff was laid on a touch thick. I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure how to convey it to this sort of audience. To me, they create freakishly long-lived produce. I could imagine impossibly perfect produce props, perhaps glowing, but I suspect most people wouldn't "get it".

---

Encephalon played/adapted PWEI's England Finest and I just about died. All their other songs were just loving great though, live. They've come a long way. Unfortunately the venue didn't do anyone justice with their anemic PAs.

Never heard Legend before, but they were great. Maybe not quite industrial-electro though?

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 28, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

kangal posted:

Hey pal. not for nothing but "Toybox" is probably the best slow jam I've heard this year.

A million thank-yous!

Thanks man! I was on the other side opposite the bar but I guess you didn't see me. Thanks buying Andrew a drink!! He seriously appreciated it.

I live in a bubble and recently realized the average person has no clue about big agricultural corruption, let alone federal-reserve/hedgefunds/currency wars/etc... the concept just went along with the theme and samples of the opening track and we wanted to create some 'WTF is this poo poo?' hijinks so we did it anyway. Maybe too much, ya. But it was a one time deal and were worried people would be bored with us. Thanks for the input tho - our first show so any input is totally valued.

The other bands were awesome.. Encephalon and Propero sounded great to me. Legend not totally industrial but insanely intense and powerful. They'll be blowing people away in Terminus. I wish I could go.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 28, 2013

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Comaduster: Hollow Worlds..

Amazingly densely produced album. So much so that while listening on the bus today that I felt like I missed pretty much half the music vs at home on the studio monitors, I guess this is a a good thing, definitely an album that is wasted on public transport, or I need better isolation on my earphones.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
By Legend you mean these guys right?

https://soundcloud.com/legend-band

They really are great, that first album was excellent.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

teethgrinder posted:

I'll be there too. I'll be the goon.

It all makes sense now. thanks for the drink, pal.

e: by the way legend were great live, and a fun bunch of guys. All they did back stage was drink and sing to each other. Rock and roll.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
The AnalogueTrash club night in Manchester is still amazing if you like your dancy side of the genre. Way more people showing up now, the place was nearly full! :toot:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

spider_ross.avi posted:

It all makes sense now. thanks for the drink, pal.

e: by the way legend were great live, and a fun bunch of guys. All they did back stage was drink and sing to each other. Rock and roll.
NP, awesome you made your way here. I don't know why exactly, but Toronto seems to be more into indie/scene/subculture music than anywhere else in North America.

Legend were great and sold me on their album. Played them for my super-snobby electronic music friend. He really liked their songs, but criticised the soft-synths, heh.

The Cleaner posted:

Thanks man! I was on the other side opposite the bar but I guess you didn't see me. Thanks buying Andrew a drink!! He seriously appreciated it.

I live in a bubble and recently realized the average person has no clue about big agricultural corruption, let alone federal-reserve/hedgefunds/currency wars/etc... the concept just went along with the theme and samples of the opening track and we wanted to create some 'WTF is this poo poo?' hijinks so we did it anyway. Maybe too much, ya. But it was a one time deal and were worried people would be bored with us. Thanks for the input tho - our first show so any input is totally valued.
I'm sorry, yeah, I just couldn't spot you any longer without the heart-shaped sunglasses. I've always been awful with faces. I was hoping to ask Andrew where you were, but couldn't find him either by that point.

I did briefly get access to the party room to pick up some poo poo from Stormingthebase, but I was way too tired and drunk to stick around. Someone was really impressed with my Welcome To Earth vinyl though.

The Monsanto thing wasn't bad ... it just, something about it might need to be more spectacular. Like, it reminds me of Skinny Puppy legends, but it didn't quite get there.

(Also full-disclosure, I might not be fully aware of their evil -- which is mostly relegated to their patent poo poo, but as far as food supply is concerned, I'm not 100% convinced they're the devil. They are horrid insofar as their abuse of the legal system is concerned at least.)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

All I can say is over 30 countries across the world (including most of Europe) have completely banned gmo foods after proving it to be full out cancer causing and toxic. To be fair, it took both my parents diagnosed with cancer within 6 months of each other before I got off my arse and starting seriously researching and getting answers as to why cancer rates in North America have gone up close to 300% in the last fifty years.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Almost everything about the american lifestyle has changed in the past 50 years.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Almost everything about the american lifestyle has changed in the past 50 years.

If you want to get specific, look at every third-party non-biotech laboratory that has done experiments with lab rats fed GMO foods, and the raging tumors they found rapidly developing. Cigarette companies use to use that same excuse of "Welp many things cause cancer about the American lifestyle" and for years even doctors themselves weren't convinced, despite all the studies outside of the cigarette companies funded studies. Sure. it's not just about lifestyle, it is taking the specifics of what cancers pertain to what developmental factors. Diet and food intake is a really, really big factor nowadays. Especially considering all those modern "lifestyle" changes in the Western world.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you're talking about the French rats study, then you should know they were a tumor-prone breed of rats and the control group was too small.

Anyways, cigarettes are a problem. Cervical cancer caused by HPV is also a problem (spread by overcrowding). But the real problem is that humans simply live longer now, and if you control for age and those anomalies (cigarettes, HPV, etc.) then cancer rates have remained pretty flat compared to the baseline.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

If you want to get specific, look at every third-party non-biotech laboratory that has done experiments with lab rats fed GMO foods, and the raging tumors they found rapidly developing.

What reputable journals did they publish the results in? As a general rule I do not believe in scientific conspiracies. There is everything to lose by being a part of such a thing and everything to gain by exposing one. Exposing a conspiracy isn't difficult because all you have to do is run the same experiment and get different results.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

If you're talking about the French rats study, then you should know they were a tumor-prone breed of rats and the control group was too small.

It wasn't just "too small". The experimental groups were each so small that, given the specific breed of rat, it would be entirely possible for pure random chance to lead to 100% of a given group developing tumors regardless of whether or not they ate GM crops.

A higher-than-average chance of developing tumors can be useful when testing a potential carcinogen. But not when the experimental groups consist of ten rats each.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I believe this is one of the studies in question, if anyone wants to read it, Food and Chemical Toxicology Volume 50, Issue 11:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691512005637
Virgin albino Sprague-Dawley rats.

Another on the International Journal For Biological Studies:

http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm

Longer-term (up to 2 years) feeding experiments are clearly justified and indeed necessary. This requirement is supported by the fact that cancer, nervous and immune system diseases, and even reproductive disorders for examples can become apparent only after one or two years of a given intervention treatment under investigation, but they will not be evident in all cases after three months of administration when first signs of toxicity may be observed [22, 23].

The Monsanto studies themselves ran for only 90 days. For those claiming it's just a weak conspiracy theory, it's public knowledge that dozens of former Monsanto personnel have been appointed into FDA and political positions, including the FDA's Reviewer on Scientific Data:

http://fracturedparadigm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/monsanto_fda+chart.png

Maybe many don't see how that could be a bad thing, but to me it's an enormous conflict of interest. Including the fact that Obama signed the 'Monsanto protection act', essentially barring the federal courts from stopping the planting/sales of the pesticide-infused gmo seeds.

I could go on with lists of documents showing pages and pages of Monsanto and Big Agri controversy/corruption but I don't think it's appropriate to drag this on too much in a music thread.

-------------

My bottom line is if you don't believe any of this and think it's all made-up conspiracy (despite over 30 other countries who would disagree and have banned it until further testing), why not just LABEL it? If you think it's safe for you and your kids, that's your choice and doesn't affect me. But right now they are fighting tooth and nail not to label it because, in their own words, the stickers would be too "costly" and instead spent hundreds of millions campaigning to have legislation not to have to legally label it. I simply believe we should have the right to know exactly what we are eating and feeding our families.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
That first study is the '10 rat study' one that people have commented on, and I agree, it is not a good study. They gave rats Roundup in their water in many cases, there were many variables being tested in small groups of rats, some results were unexpected (more gmo corn doesn't mean more tumors - not that this means anything in 10 rats), the statistics are not that great (they are confident that two acids are low in GMO corn, and that their regression analysis is done properly, no actual "is this small group large enough to test my hypothesis" - which the second one does do, and they state flat out that their (same group btw) data are large enough to be sufficient), and lastly rats are a poor model for human disease (but that's a side note, as 'food' is difficult to test in any other way).

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/19/161424735/as-scientists-question-new-rat-study-gmo-debate-rages-on Is a better analysis of the first study, presenting both sides, imo. Also note that the two studies you linked -are- from the same lab. And every study I've read that linked disease to GMO crops did not address the actual genetically modified part of it (instead 'residual pesticides' or 'changed nutrient levels' were brought up). The name GMO brings to mind viral genetic inserts hopping from corn to humans. (Just me?)

If the public at large had adequate education on this topic, and scientific topics in general, I would be all for labeling food however you want it, provided that the labels were accurate and weren't a blanket vague GMO label (not all GMOs are equivalent, obviously). Are the labels going to tell me what gene was modified, and what pesticides were applied to the crop? No? I'd much rather have a "what pesticides were used on this crop" label on food. I'm not in favor of GMO labels because it is an irrelevant bandaid on the real problems of the agricultural business and does NOT increase "consumer knowledge" adequately, especially taking education into account. I'm pretty cynical about scientific education when the Supreme Court doesn't understand basic dna/rna biology sufficiently to produce a ruling on genetic patent law without a giant loophole in it (for different forms of the same damned information).

Anyway, way the hell off topic -.-

Noricae fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 30, 2013

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Is this really the place for cancerchat?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Sorry for posting industrial in the Monsanto thread, but here's a pretty heavy group I've been listening to ever since Aesthetic Perfection went soft. The soundbite/chorus almost excuses the existence of that terrible Doom movie adaptation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QRQDmsfQHg

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not unless we're talking about rip-offs of Suicide Commando and their affect on industrial music as a whole, no.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

It's a bit much, ya. I think from now on we're going to play it safe and avoid the whole political-social-conspiracies gimmick... and just stick to beating the poo poo out of women while wearing SS-inspired uniforms while waving confederate flags.

You know, the acceptable genre tropes.
:downsrim:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ha. I appreciated it. It harkens back to the stuff Skinny Puppy used to do.

But insofar as "fun" is concerned, I think conspiracies are a far safer topic.

Don't get me wrong, I think Monsanto has a lot of major problems, but they've done a lot to improve food supply. I don't know where the ultimate balance lives. Also I think it's great that this stuff is being discussed in this thread. It's sort of the point of a lot of the music and therefore deserves being addressed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Cleaner posted:

It's a bit much, ya. I think from now on we're going to play it safe and avoid the whole political-social-conspiracies gimmick... and just stick to beating the poo poo out of women while wearing SS-inspired uniforms while waving confederate flags.

You know, the acceptable genre tropes.
:downsrim:
Hey, if you want to delve into people in the scene claiming to be anti-establishment while perpetuating commercialized bigotry, by all means go ahead. It's a problem that continues to disappoint me on a regular basis.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I got a question, is there a name for the synth that plays at the start of this song and all the way through it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnNK8L_7B1g

I've always hated hearing that stupid synth in modern industrial. Whenever I get a recommendation to check out some band guaranteed one or more of the songs I check out will have this stupid synth in it. I just want to know what it's called so I can stop saying "that stupid synth"

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Overbite posted:

I got a question, is there a name for the synth that plays at the start of this song and all the way through it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnNK8L_7B1g

I've always hated hearing that stupid synth in modern industrial. Whenever I get a recommendation to check out some band guaranteed one or more of the songs I check out will have this stupid synth in it. I just want to know what it's called so I can stop saying "that stupid synth"

It's a fairly standard rave-style lead synth patch. Bread and butter for pretty much all dance music nowadays alongside the similar "supersaw" synth.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Didn't even need to watch the video to know which sound you were talking about. It is everywhere and you will never escape it.