Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe you guys just like superhero movies.

I always thought those dudes were pretty good and presenting the reasons they didn't enjoy something. After looking in their comments section it's really cracking me up how people can perceive a negative reaction to some pop-culture they consumed as an attack that must be refuted with paragraphs of TV tropes style plot breakdowns and minutia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I know Film Crit Hulk is divisive around these parts, but in the wake of James Gandolfini's death, he wrote a moving piece about Tony Soprano, the character that literally changed television storytelling forever. It's pro click.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/06/20/film-crit-hulk-smash-why-james-gandolfini-matters/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Angry Joe gives his review of Man of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t0QQPlmLs
I have been interested in this since he said he loved it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I always thought those dudes were pretty good and presenting the reasons they didn't enjoy something. After looking in their comments section it's really cracking me up how people can perceive a negative reaction to some pop-culture they consumed as an attack that must be refuted with paragraphs of TV tropes style plot breakdowns and minutia.

I don't agree with the guys a lot, but I still enjoy watching their stuff.

edit: Does Superman actually punch someone in the face while calling them motherfucker :staredog:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 21, 2013

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

LordPants posted:

edit: Does Superman actually punch someone in the face while calling them motherfucker :staredog:

Of course not. It's rated PG-13, you're not even allowed to say that word.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I thought you could say it in a PG-13 movie, but only once or twice.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

bbf2 posted:

Of course not. It's rated PG-13, you're not even allowed to say that word.

Uh, yeah you are. Depending on the movie, but usually, yes you are. You are allowed one f-bomb in PG-13 movies depending on the context/how obscured it is by the sound/visuals.

Also Man of Steel ... .... well while keeping it on topic and not getting too passionate about it, I thought the RedLetterMedia guys were spot on.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
SF Debris has the next three Madoka reviews up.
http://sfdebris.com/videos/animation.asp

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

Best part, unlike the previous multiple hour long vlogs it's only 15 minutes and is surprisingly to the point. I especially liked when he said the reaction to the Minority Report review was a wake-up call; maybe that means he'll get back to putting out good content rather than tedious and repetitive crap.

Yeah it's sounding promising between Minority Report and his reflections in that latest update, I didn't watch his Man of Steel rant but his vlog entries have always been highly variable.

Hopefully some good new content from him this year.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 21, 2013

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Pirate Jenny posted:

You are allowed one f-bomb in PG-13 movies depending on the context/how obscured it is by the sound/visuals.
Some movies have gotten away with two ("The Social Network"), but generally PG-13 movies only have one use of it. You can't say 'motherfucker' in a PG-13 because that gives the word a sexual context. Saying 'gently caress' in a sexual context immediately gets you an R, as per "To Rome With Love" and "Waiting For Guffman". This dates back really far too; the producers of "Patton" were warned to change a line of dialogue in the opening monologue to avoid an R ("They know as much as they do about fighting as they do about loving" was changed to "They know as much about fighting as they do about fornicating").

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

LordPants posted:

I don't agree with the guys a lot, but I still enjoy watching their stuff.

He says something to the effect of "You stay away from my mother!"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Robert Denby posted:

Some movies have gotten away with two ("The Social Network"), but generally PG-13 movies only have one use of it. You can't say 'motherfucker' in a PG-13 because that gives the word a sexual context. Saying 'gently caress' in a sexual context immediately gets you an R, as per "To Rome With Love" and "Waiting For Guffman". This dates back really far too; the producers of "Patton" were warned to change a line of dialogue in the opening monologue to avoid an R ("They know as much as they do about fighting as they do about loving" was changed to "They know as much about fighting as they do about fornicating").

It got pretty ridiculous when The King's Speech had to be bumped up to an R just because the one 10-second scene where he curses a few times. I think they actually ended up removing the scene in question so they could re-release the movie with a PG-13 rating.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Actually they just cut that scene so that Colin Firth only says 'gently caress' twice instead of several times. Even the UK, which has a similar policy regarding the word, passed the film uncut with a 12 rating because of the context of the scene.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

miscellaneous14 posted:

It got pretty ridiculous when The King's Speech had to be bumped up to an R just because the one 10-second scene where he curses a few times. I think they actually ended up removing the scene in question so they could re-release the movie with a PG-13 rating.

They really need to revamp the ratings board so it isn't filled with soccer moms and religious zealots who would otherwise have no interest in movies. The amount of sway these people have is ridiculous.

I'm really digging SF Debris' take on Madoka . The things he says about Kyubey is just gold. :allears:

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
So what your trying to tell me is that censorship agencies are loving dumb.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

They really need to revamp the ratings board so it isn't filled with soccer moms and religious zealots who would otherwise have no interest in movies. The amount of sway these people have is ridiculous.

I'm really digging SF Debris' take on Madoka . The things he says about Kyubey is just gold. :allears:

That applies to the MPAA to some extent too, so it's not limited to the ratings board.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Pirate Jenny posted:

Uh, yeah you are. Depending on the movie, but usually, yes you are. You are allowed one f-bomb in PG-13 movies depending on the context/how obscured it is by the sound/visuals.

Also Man of Steel ... .... well while keeping it on topic and not getting too passionate about it, I thought the RedLetterMedia guys were spot on.

You can say "gently caress" once in a PG-13, but not "motherfucker."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also in no way did he say anything close to 'motherfucker' so this a really pointless thing to argue about.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

achillesforever6 posted:

Angry Joe gives his review of Man of Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34t0QQPlmLs
I have been interested in this since he said he loved it.

It's been a long time since I've seen a fanboy gush like ":supaburn: This is the best movie I've ever seen in my life!"

Angry Joe knows more about Superman than the average person, so it took me by surprise that he liked it so much. But the fact that he also likes Dragonball z explains that too, the way Supes and Zod were fighting. But Superman isn't Goku.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Ema Nymton posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen a fanboy gush like ":supaburn: This is the best movie I've ever seen in my life!"

Angry Joe knows more about Superman than the average person, so it took me by surprise that he liked it so much. But the fact that he also likes Dragonball z explains that too, the way Supes and Zod were fighting. But Superman isn't Goku.

It's almost like Joe's... kind of immature.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pirate Jenny posted:

It's almost like Joe's... kind of immature.

Can we not do this? People get excited over things they like and if he thought that Man of Steel was one of the best thing he's seen then so be it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I was checking out some of The Bunny Perspective's backlog because I was bored and I've enjoyed some of his stuff and I found this which is uh, :stare:

I kept waiting for the "but no that perspective is horrible" thing to come, but it never did. And just to clarify, I'm someone who thinks Michael Jackson never molested anyone, probably.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Bunny Perspective guy has some really weird points of view on certain topics.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Maremidon posted:

So I was checking out some of The Bunny Perspective's backlog because I was bored and I've enjoyed some of his stuff and I found this which is uh, :stare:

I kept waiting for the "but no that perspective is horrible" thing to come, but it never did. And just to clarify, I'm someone who thinks Michael Jackson never molested anyone, probably.
"So in conclusion, Thriller absolves Michael Jackson for whatever child rape he may or may not have committed. Oh and :godwinning:."

:fuckoff:

Hey Chez Apocalypse: if you're reading this, cut this idiot loose yesterday. This guy is obviously saying vile things in order to get attention. I mean, loving really?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the Bunny Perspective guy has some really weird points of view on certain topics.
Well yeah but there's a difference between liking Party Rock Anthem and MLP and whatever the hell that was.

Benny the Snake posted:

This guy is obviously saying vile things in order to get attention. I mean, loving really?

I don't think he's saying it to get attention. It's such a weirdly formed and vapid argument that it probably comes from someplace real.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Maremidon posted:

It's such a weirdly formed and vapid argument that it probably comes from someplace real.

This should be The Bunny Perspective's tagline

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Also, how the hell do you dedicate an episode to Invader Zim and spend half of it talking about loving ponies?

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I can only think of those three episodes as being egregiously bad, most of his other ones are great. :smith:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

prahanormal posted:

I can only think of those three episodes as being egregiously bad, most of his other ones are great. :smith:

Yeah, I wanna like him and I like his style and gimmick, but that video was just ugh.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Speaking of awkwardly inserting ponies where they don't belong, here's his new review, that's alright if not for the two giant elephants on screen.

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/the-bunny-perspective-the-royal-tenenbaums/

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maremidon posted:

I'm a bit late watching this, but WOW. I was expecting the worst, but that was even more crazier than I thought.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey Chez Apocalypse: if you're reading this, cut this idiot loose yesterday. This guy is obviously saying vile things in order to get attention. I mean, loving really?

Kinda gotta echo this sentiment, as someone who's interacted with him a significant amount in real life. That guy's awful. Wish I could mince words about him being "sorta kinda only at certain times" awful like I have with some other producers that have, erm, come up in this thread, but because I like the Chez bunch and want them to prosper: THAT GUY'S AWFUL. His sorta-okay content's not worth the eventual bombshell. x_x

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I can't say I'm a fan of Phil Buni. His gimmick, while interesting, seems to have overshadowed his content. I find his show technically quite good, on the spectrum of video reviewers, but after watching 3-4 reviews of his, nothing he's said has really..stuck with me. And I was especially put off by how obnoxious he seems to be on Twitter - in regards to acting like he's some kind of reviewing expert, and saying blanket statements like A REVIEW SHOULD NEVER BE ABOVE 15 MINUTES. Says you..lord of reviewing? It's one thing if someone says "I tend to try and keep my work under 15 minutes as I think it's more accessible that way", but there's a certain level of obnoxiousness in saying absolutes like that, since many people are successful and appreciated with much longer reviews, like Red Letter Media, or, I dunno, The Nostalgia Critic.

I almost feel that..it's also hard to know whether or not what he's saying is coming from a genuine place. I like the personal touch - knowing what someone's opinion is - and sometimes I feel it's hard to know what's played up and what isn't, about his show. But yes, I suppose I shouldn't contribute to the conversation without watching the crazy Michael Jackson episode, or noting the intrusion of ponies, but I can't really bring myself to watch another episode.

edit: Yes, I'm sort of getting the impression that as a person, he's pretty awful. Once again I will reiterate the fact that it seems fairly arbitrary which reviewers are elevated to the top tier, and which ones aren't.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Well I used to like him and now I don't. That was a quick change. I lasted up to him saying that a child getting molested was a small price to pay for Thriller. Christ dude, really?

This sucks because, like others said, aside from the weird pony thing in the Zim video, I really liked his other videos.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Huh, so someone actually decided that Chappelle Show jury selection sketch should be taken as a valid argument and not a joke.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 21, 2014

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jesto posted:

I really wish he would read a wiki summary of these episodes after watching him, he seems to have trouble understanding them for some reason. :(

The love triangle was pretty unnecessary, though, I agree with that.

Yeah, I'm finding it impressive that he can pick up on some rather subtle stuff (Zuko being rejected by everyone, even his enemies, was a nice catch) and yet stuff that's spelled out as explicitly as possible just flies right over his head.

I think it's partly that he wants some kind of explanation for the rules at play, like, how and why would the moon be a fish? How and why would killing that fish kill waterbending? How and why would Yui sacrifice her life to save the moon? We're given answers, yes, but I think Doug wants it explained in finer detail. Which... would kinda ruin everything since it's magic in a kids show it doesn't need to explain anything, the fact that we get explanations at all, and what's more good explanations that play heavily into the season's themes, is yet another notch in the bedpost of things this show just nailed.

Though I think it's also partly that this episode is really rushed. I remember watching this with my sister, and she went and got a drink and missed the part explaining why Aang needed to keep an expressionless face, and so was really confused by the Koe scene until I rewound back to when Aang entered the spirit world, which wasn't all that much time. So yeah, missing a sentence or two can really gently caress with your understanding of what exactly is happening.

Still my favourite season finale of the series, though. Would have loved three episodes but the two we got were golden.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jay O posted:

Kinda gotta echo this sentiment, as someone who's interacted with him a significant amount in real life. That guy's awful. Wish I could mince words about him being "sorta kinda only at certain times" awful like I have with some other producers that have, erm, come up in this thread, but because I like the Chez bunch and want them to prosper: THAT GUY'S AWFUL. His sorta-okay content's not worth the eventual bombshell. x_x
So is he the long-haired neckbeard in the theme? That would explain so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Benny the Snake posted:

So is he the long-haired neckbeard in the theme? That would explain so much.

The long-haired neckbeard in the theme is Tony Goldmark of Some Jerk with a Camera and I won't hear a word spoken against that show :colbert:

• Locked thread