Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hobbesmaster posted:

Right, 717 vs 707. That military.com article claimed a much higher mishap rate in the 2 man cockpit variants vs 3 man cockpits. Go LeMay.

edit: The author there really has an axe to grind though, the MD-11 doesn't have that terrible of a safety record.

And none of the fatal MD-11 accidents (with the possible exception of Lufthansa Cargo Flight 8460, which is still under investigation) were due to something wrong with the plane itself, all but 1 were pilot error, and that sole exception, Swissair Flight 111, was due to an improperly installed entertainment system, not an actual flight system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Kilonum posted:

And none of the fatal MD-11 accidents (with the possible exception of Lufthansa Cargo Flight 8460, which is still under investigation) were due to something wrong with the plane itself, all but 1 were pilot error, and that sole exception, Swissair Flight 111, was due to an improperly installed entertainment system, not an actual flight system.

So you're saying that IFE created an IFE? Sorry, couldn't stop myself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Well, that kinda back up his point though which is that the lack of a FE increases the workload on the pilots and reduces safety.

edit: Though not sure how that would prevent you from hitting the slats accidentally.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 19, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

Right, 717 vs 707. That military.com article claimed a much higher mishap rate in the 2 man cockpit variants vs 3 man cockpits. Go LeMay.

edit: The author there really has an axe to grind though, the MD-11 doesn't have that terrible of a safety record.

Well proportional to nearly every metric (hull losses to fleet size, hull losses per flight/flying hours for example), the MD-11 has done pretty poorly. A number of them have nothing to do with the aircraft, there are still a large number of accidents/incidents in which the MD-11's handling characteristics have played at least a casual role.

When McDonnell-Douglas designed the MD-11, they opted not to redesign the wing from the DC-10 (apart from slapping on a pair of winglets), which combined with the greatly increased weight of the MD-11, significantly increased approach and landing speeds. The other thing that McDD did was they reduced the size of the horizontal stabiliser (to reduce drag), made possible by moving the centre of gravity back. Both of these have the effect of reducing the longitudinal stability (for the layman; stability of the aircraft in pitch) by themselves.

So we have an aircraft the flies approaches faster then normal and is less stable than other aircraft in one axis; it might sound like a recipe for trouble (and it is to a degree), but it's nothing that aircraft-specific training over and above current requirements for a type rating and adherence to proper operating procedures can't adequately address.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

MrChips posted:

Well proportional to nearly every metric (hull losses to fleet size, hull losses per flight/flying hours for example), the MD-11 has done pretty poorly. A number of them have nothing to do with the aircraft, there are still a large number of accidents/incidents in which the MD-11's handling characteristics have played at least a casual role.

When McDonnell-Douglas designed the MD-11, they opted not to redesign the wing from the DC-10 (apart from slapping on a pair of winglets), which combined with the greatly increased weight of the MD-11, significantly increased approach and landing speeds. The other thing that McDD did was they reduced the size of the horizontal stabiliser (to reduce drag), made possible by moving the centre of gravity back. Both of these have the effect of reducing the longitudinal stability (for the layman; stability of the aircraft in pitch) by themselves.

So we have an aircraft the flies approaches faster then normal and is less stable than other aircraft in one axis; it might sound like a recipe for trouble (and it is to a degree), but it's nothing that aircraft-specific training over and above current requirements for a type rating and adherence to proper operating procedures can't adequately address.
They did increase the wingspan in addition to adding winglets to cope with the increased MTOW, exactly like Boeing did with the 747-400 compared to the 747 classic. However, of all the things wrong with the MD-11 the smaller horizontal stab is most definitely its biggest downfall. It actually had to have a special control system installed on the elevators to try and cope with the reduction in dynamic stability and control authority (LSAS), to make it feel like you had more control than you actually had. The DC-10 is lovely to fly as is the MD-11 in good weather, but the MD11 by design is quicker to run away from you when you can least afford it to.

Also, having the main wing gear attached directly to the rear spar was hardly the best idea ever. Having a very hard landing (which you are almost guaranteed to have in bad conditions because your pitch control is hosed) means you're going to tear a fuel tank open, and even snap the onside wing like a twig with the intact wing on the other side rolling the aircraft inverted on the ground in a great big ball of fire, as has happened so many times with the MD-11 and DC-10 alike. If you look at it like this, the majority of the DC-10 and MD-11 losses on landing were caused by these faults in the the aircraft design and many people would not have been killed over the years had they got these two things right.

The DC-10 turned out to be fairly good aircraft, but it's almost like tried to pimp-my-ride it, and ending up ruining it.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 19, 2013

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just realized that with the A350 flying, when the CSeries has its first flight in few days, that will basically be the last time we see an all new Western airframe take off for the next 20+ years...

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Cygni posted:

Just realized that with the A350 flying, when the CSeries has its first flight in few days, that will basically be the last time we see an all new Western airframe take off for the next 20+ years...
What about the Bombardier Global 7/8000? A 50-ton bizjet, how about that. Or the MRJ? Japanese is basically Western, especially compared to the Chinese and Russian stuff coming out. And it seems the world is still not ready for an aircraft from them, seeing as even the SuperJet with all its Western involvement and investment has not managed to chalk up any sales outside of the old Soviet Bloc or south-east Asia.

I'm fully expecting Boeing/NASA to design, build and fly a full size BWB tanker/transport within the next 20 years. A new Airbus or Boeing narrowbody could also be in the cards... or a new supersonic bizjet incorporating sonic boom reducing technology. Basically, 20 years is a very long time, far longer than the time it takes from even very basic conceptualization of a major (conventional) design to first flight and even EIS. Provided the world doesn't end there should be something new on the horizon that we don't know of yet.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I thought Boeing had some 3rd design in the works.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

20 years is plenty of time for Yellowstone Y1 and Y3 to come to fruition.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tsuru posted:

What about the Bombardier Global 7/8000? A 50-ton bizjet, how about that. Or the MRJ? Japanese is basically Western, especially compared to the Chinese and Russian stuff coming out. And it seems the world is still not ready for an aircraft from them, seeing as even the SuperJet with all its Western involvement and investment has not managed to chalk up any sales outside of the old Soviet Bloc or south-east Asia.

I'm fully expecting Boeing/NASA to design, build and fly a full size BWB tanker/transport within the next 20 years. A new Airbus or Boeing narrowbody could also be in the cards... or a new supersonic bizjet incorporating sonic boom reducing technology. Basically, 20 years is a very long time, far longer than the time it takes from even very basic conceptualization of a major (conventional) design to first flight and even EIS. Provided the world doesn't end there should be something new on the horizon that we don't know of yet.

Well I was specifically talking airliners and not bizjets, but I guess the MRJ would kinda count.

Boeing and Airbus have told the airlines no new frames anytime for at least a decade and a half, though. Max/Neo for narrow body, A350/787 shrinks and stretches (plus 777X) for widebody... and A380 for megasize.

A fresh sheet tanker will definitely not happen, at least not for the US airforce. KC-46 is scheduled to basically fly for a hundred years.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I thought Boeing had some 3rd design in the works.
That became 777X, a stretch and new wing.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 21, 2013

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
I can't wait until my 50s when I am flying in some decrepit 777 or A330 with yellowed interior, harking back to the halcyon days when they were new.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Though on the other hand Delta's ancient DC-9s actually have newish interiors and aren't yellowing or anything.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Kind of unrelated: Calling it right now--a C-130 will fly till the end of this century.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Polymerized Cum posted:

I can't wait until my 50s when I am flying in some decrepit 777 or A330 with yellowed interior, harking back to the halcyon days when they were new.

The future equivalent of getting on an ancient maddog or 737 and it still having ashtray arm rests full of peoples chewing gum.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Cygni posted:

Well I was specifically talking airliners and not bizjets, but I guess the MRJ would kinda count.

Boeing and Airbus have told the airlines no new frames anytime for at least a decade and a half, though. Max/Neo for narrow body, A350/787 shrinks and stretches (plus 777X) for widebody... and A380 for megasize.

A fresh sheet tanker will definitely not happen, at least not for the US airforce. KC-46 is scheduled to basically fly for a hundred years.

That became 777X, a stretch and new wing.
The largest Global or Gulfstream is larger and heavier than for instance an Embraer 190 or other relatively small aircraft considered to be jet airliners. And they have more interesting equipment like EVS/SVS on them to operate into smaller airfields without precision ground-based navaids. And they have fine, laquered wood, brushed aluminium, leather seats and carbon-fibre accents. In the flight deck. Oh, here I go again, please do excuse me.

I do get your point though, but if it helps, the lifespan of newer designs has decreased significantly. Aircraft designed with slide rules are still flying because they have a wealth of spare parts available and a bit of extra "meat" on the structure allowing more cycles than originally envisaged, while the early examples of computer-designed A320 or 777s have started being scrapped years ago. We might still be flying 777s in 20 years time, but at least the actual aircraft you're sitting in will probably not be older than 15-20 years. Built to spec and highly efficient, but not built to last.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CharlesM posted:

I went there again yesterday, I decided to go to the museum, which was fun. :)
I couldn't make out the tail from the parking lot, it had something blue on it and said either 1083 or 1038 (I forgot, sorry).
Also in the pic is a Boeing test plane, with a weird nose and something over the cockpit. I think somebody posted a pic earlier in the thread of what this is but I can't remember. Far right is a Turkish 737 AEW&C.

I've gone from curiosity to confusion. That doesn't look like a US roundel under the rotodome struts, nor France or Saudi Arabia. It's clearly not British or NATO.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This incident is a real gem:

quote:

An Emirates Boeing 777-300, registration A6-EBD performing flight EK-123 from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) to Istanbul (Turkey) with 414 passengers and 17 crew, was in the initial climb through 500 feet out of Dubai's runway 12R in clear skies and daylight, when a United Arab Emirates Hawk fighter jet, not in contact with Dubai however transponding Mode-C, was about to cross the extended runway center line of runway 12R at 600 feet AGL and 353 knots over ground. The Boeing crew, who received a TCAS Traffic Advisory but were unable to visually locate the other aircraft, as well as ATC had no time to react, the fighter pilot however flew a hard left turn avoiding a collision but not without the separation reducing to 100 feet vertical and 0.3nm horizontal. The United Arab Emirates Civil Aviation Authority reported only 3.5 seconds separated the aircraft from collision.

United Arab Emirates' Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) released their preliminary report stating, that the fighter pilot departing Dubai's Minhad Airbase flying north had already busted the airspaces of Dubai Al Maktoum Airport and Dubai International Airport without making contact with either airport control frequencies. The aircraft however was in contact with Dubai Approach Control Unit Al Minhad sector, operating from Dubai's Al Maktoum Airport. Sporadic radar contacts suggested that the Hawk was transponding Mode-C.

77 seconds prior to the near collision the Hawk crew requested clearance to climb to 2000 feet to cross Dubai International Airport from Al Minhad sector, the controller declined and advised the crew needed to contact Dubai International Airport tower at the tower frequency providing the frequency for the tower controlling runway 12L, not 12R. 11 seconds prior to near collision the Hawk crew attempted to contact that frequency.

The tower controller working 12R and the Boeing 777 noticed the fast moving target at 500 feet moving north just after the rotation of the Boeing 777 and issued a traffic alert to the Boeing, however, no avoidance action was possible due to phase of flight and the closure speed in excess of 350 knots.

Following the avoidance maneouver the Hawk crew established contact with Dubai International Airport's tower and advised they were now returning to Al Minhad Airbase, the aircraft was seen moving in a southerly direction afterwards.

The GCAA reported that the Boeing 777-300 was fitted with a TCAS 7.1, retrieval of data stored in the TCAS memory confirmed the crew's report of a TCAS traffic advisory, a resolution advisory was still inhibited as the aircraft had not yet reached TCAS operating height.

The GCAA rated the occurrence a serious incident involving a serious risk of a collision.

:psyduck:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Went to the Air Force museum at WPAFB today...

I'll leave that until I can get home and sort through everything and post the highlights.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

I've gone from curiosity to confusion. That doesn't look like a US roundel under the rotodome struts, nor France or Saudi Arabia. It's clearly not British or NATO.

I didn't actually notice that until I looked at the pic. Isn't it RAF?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RAF_roundel.svg

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wright-Patterson is the one good thing about Ohio.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I keep trying to find a reason to be in Cincinnati or Lexington again so I can head over there again and finally see the XB-70.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CharlesM posted:

I didn't actually notice that until I looked at the pic. Isn't it RAF?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RAF_roundel.svg

I dunno...the typical RAF AWACS paint scheme is a darker gray, not white like the US. I've also never seen that roundel there. That said, paint schemes can certainly change and even if you search for USAF E-3s, most of the pictures you'll find are pre-1997 or so (vertical stabilizer paint changed, PDS "cheeks" were installed), so maybe there's just a newer paint scheme than I'm familiar with. Also, what *might* be the refueling probe looks to be a different color...initially I thought it was something in the background.

I've got a buddy up there, but of course he's deployed right now otherwise I could clear this up with a text.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder which limbs the fighter pilot will lose for that one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ola posted:

The only one a fighter jock really values.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

The only one a fighter jock really values.

Yes. The right arm.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Some guys play volleyball lefty, though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Ola posted:

None. Something tells me this wasn't a contractor, and a national doing lead-in will have some pull.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cygni posted:

KC-46 is scheduled to basically fly for a hundred years.

It's a USAF tanker tradition.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Kind of unrelated: Calling it right now--a C-130 will fly till the end of this century.

Not even debatable.

Godholio posted:

I dunno...the typical RAF AWACS paint scheme is a darker gray, not white like the US. I've also never seen that roundel there. That said, paint schemes can certainly change and even if you search for USAF E-3s, most of the pictures you'll find are pre-1997 or so (vertical stabilizer paint changed, PDS "cheeks" were installed), so maybe there's just a newer paint scheme than I'm familiar with. Also, what *might* be the refueling probe looks to be a different color...initially I thought it was something in the background.

I've got a buddy up there, but of course he's deployed right now otherwise I could clear this up with a text.

Like you said Brit AWACS have the roundel on the forward fuselage, not underneath the rotodome struts. Also they don't wear a standard RAF roundel, it has some bars coming out of the side of it more like a USAF roundel...it's kind of hard to explain but if you google No 8 Sqn it's their squadron roundel. Last time I saw one (last fall) they were still wearing the darker grey paint as well.

So yeah, I'm confused.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Like you said Brit AWACS have the roundel on the forward fuselage, not underneath the rotodome struts. Also they don't wear a standard RAF roundel, it has some bars coming out of the side of it more like a USAF roundel...it's kind of hard to explain but if you google No 8 Sqn it's their squadron roundel. Last time I saw one (last fall) they were still wearing the darker grey paint as well.

So yeah, I'm confused.

It looks like a RAAF E-3 would look like if they bought them... but they didn't so :shrug:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The roundel is in the right place for a French plane, but I don't think they use low visibility markings.

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_E-3FR_lg.jpg

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Plane crashed at Dayton Air Show: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57590586/wing-walkers-plane-crashes-at-dayton-air-show/

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

It seems there was a plane crash at the Dayton air show. Both the pilot and the lady doing the wing walking acrobatic both were killed on impact with the ground. :(
http://huffpost.com/us/entry/3483600

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's already on youtube. As the plane was rolling inverted, the 'lower' wing just suddenly drops, reversing the roll just before the plane was level inverted, and at the crazy low altitude, it was over pretty much instantly. Wing stall? The airspeed appeared to be fairly low, but I'm not a pilot, so just speculation on my part.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Ola posted:

Koesj posted:

None. Something tells me this wasn't a contractor, and a national doing lead-in will have some pull.

Haha, yeah. Ten bucks says it turns out to be someone with the word "Prince" before his name and the Emirati aviation authority quickly finds the 777 crew fully at fault.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Polymerized Cum posted:

I'm 49 and this is exactly how I feel when I get on a 757.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just finished reading the whole thread. :shepface:

Gotta repost this:

Axeman Jim posted:

He's got a load more, may much earlier from the 60's and 70's, so when I get hold of some of those I'll post them here - Comets and Britannias and Handley-Page Heralds, oh my.

I would love to see these!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Holy poo poo, I just finished reading the whole thread. :shepface:

Did you learn anything?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Did you learn anything?

That he has far too much free time.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Here's that Dayton crash from two different vantages.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5e5_1371922689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

iyaayas01 posted:

So yeah, I'm confused.

The only thing I can tell you is I'm pretty sure it had a blue flag of some kind on the tail. Wish I could be more help, I'm surprised I've created such a mystery! Sorry my cell phone camera sucks too, haha.