Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

He's an incredibly stupid man, rendered more stupid with blows to the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

imo a good way for the head-writer of a wrestling show to avoid concussions from not knowing how to take bumps properly is to NOT WRITE YOURSELF INTO THE SHOW

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

The brain damage argument would have more credence if it wasn't for him already doing all of that insane bullshit before the concussions.

The poo poo he booked in early TNA is even worse than anything that happened in the Attitude era or WCW. It's just heinous, sick bullshit. Of course, it's only a few degrees worse than some of the stuff he booked in his second TNA run, so it's possible it was just the freedom of PPV.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

oatgan posted:

imo a good way for the head-writer of a wrestling show to avoid concussions from not knowing how to take bumps properly is to NOT WRITE YOURSELF INTO THE SHOW

But Russo would never appear onscreen. He even promised as much. What are you talking about?

Cameal
Sep 23, 2004
There is an episode of WCW Live that he was a guest on not long after the concussion stuff where he comes off as not entirely there.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
You can just look at how badly the people that admit to having had concussions in the past post on here and make a pretty good case for Vince Russo's concussions contributing to how awfully he books wrestling.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

MassRafTer posted:

The poo poo he booked in early TNA is even worse than anything that happened in the Attitude era or WCW. It's just heinous, sick bullshit. Of course, it's only a few degrees worse than some of the stuff he booked in his second TNA run, so it's possible it was just the freedom of PPV.

Could you go into further detail?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Street Horrrsing posted:

Just look up recaps of them, or watch them if you have the inclination (don't), and you'll see that the storylines and segments could only be written by someone with an intense hatred of women, minorities, and goddamn near everyone else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just look up recaps of them, or watch them if you have the inclination (don't), and you'll see that the storylines and segments could only be written by someone with an intense hatred of women, minorities, and goddamn near everyone else.

You are acting like it has things like women dancing in cages.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Street Horrrsing posted:

There was constantly violence against women and homophobia on the shows. Bruce (Alan Funk) wore a dress and won Miss TNA, which existed as an excuse to have men wrestling women, constant anti-gay and anti-trans promos and commentary and just stuff you'd never believe. Terms like "freak" and "homo" were frankly light fare for this period. One of the lowlights is BG James declaring he isn't going to do something to a queer he's going to just beat up a human being tonight, paraphrasing.

Then there are the anti-women angles, where women would be brought into the ring, called whores, ugly, whatever, bullied and then beaten down for heat. I really wish I had time stamped some of the more stunning parts, but Roddy Piper blaming Russo for the death of Owen Hart wasn't the worst thing on the last episode we watched.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

There was constantly violence against women and homophobia on the shows. Bruce (Alan Funk) wore a dress and won Miss TNA, which existed as an excuse to have men wrestling women, constant anti-gay and anti-trans promos and commentary and just stuff you'd never believe. Terms like "freak" and "homo" were frankly light fare for this period. One of the lowlights is BG James declaring he isn't going to do something to a queer he's going to just beat up a human being tonight, paraphrasing.

Then there are the anti-women angles, where women would be brought into the ring, called whores, ugly, whatever, bullied and then beaten down for heat. I really wish I had time stamped some of the more stunning parts, but Roddy Piper blaming Russo for the death of Owen Hart wasn't the worst thing on the last episode we watched.

Here's the worst segment from the most recent one we watched in Synchtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IDC2IltpA&t=1785s

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Athena thing is probably one of the lowest points of TNA. Jerry Jarrett listed it as one of the reasons he wished he had never listened to his son and brought in Russo.

Edit: For those not in the know, Athena was a local talent who was brought in for the first few shows and kept around as the ring girl. She was popular both with the talent and also the fans who she talked to during the tapings and before and after the shows. She got over with the fans without needing any tv time and Russo sold the segment as moving towards her being an on air character, explaining he was going to run her down to get her sympathetic heat. If you listen to the commentary Don West starts with the nervous laughter because noone knew how far Russo was going to go with the running her down. Some of the talent were legitimately pissed with the segment and Russo was lucky to not get fired over it.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 21, 2013

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
TNA ran these auctions during the shows to go to charity. Did any of that money even ever go to anyone or did they just keep it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Did Russo book Kanyon taking that dumb bump of the triple cage? Visually, it was pretty powerful but given the timing, and location of Owen's death it was in poor taste.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

Did Russo book Kanyon taking that dumb bump of the triple cage? Visually, it was pretty powerful but given the timing, and location of Owen's death it was in poor taste.

Yes he did since it was after a David Arquette match, and why would he care since he killed Owen?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That Kanyon bump angle was crazy. Especially when Awesome came out in a wheelchair complete with neck brace & halo, cutting a promo on Kanyon (at least I seem to remember that)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The bump was due to the fuckin politics

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

oatgan posted:

Jesus. I think I'd have just walked out then and there, that was pretty loving disgusting...

Words escape me. Something about instead of instead of providing a lovely product people will walk away from, creating something so offensive people don't just write it off, they actively avoid it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maxallen posted:

Jesus. I think I'd have just walked out then and there, that was pretty loving disgusting...

Words escape me. Something about instead of instead of providing a lovely product people will walk away from, creating something so offensive people don't just write it off, they actively avoid it.

That's Russo in a nutshell. "We're gonna make something so sleazy and awful its gonna go so far it will be ART."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

That's Russo in a nutshell. "We're gonna make something so sleazy and awful its gonna go so far it will be ART."

Just like the Andy Sidaris film Day of the Warrior. Starring Buff Bagwell.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

oatgan posted:

That's one of the most embarassing segments I've ever seen. I feel dirty having watched it.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Someone describe that segment to me- I'm a little afraid to watch it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

Someone describe that segment to me- I'm a little afraid to watch it.

Vince Russo comes to the ring and says that everyone wants to see Athena, but the NWA staff won't give them Athena. The crowd is chanting, "A-THE-NA, A-THE-NA". They want Athena. Athena comes into the ring, and Vince starts telling her to show them her breasts, because this is "TNA: TITS 'N' rear end". He starts insulting her, backing her into the turnbuckle. Where I had to stop was when security showed up to separate them, and I assume this is where the segment ended.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You missed the Harrises cutting a rambling promo, then turning on Athena and powerbombing her twice.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

You missed the Harrises cutting a rambling promo, then turning on Athena and powerbombing her twice.

Well. That... that somehow manages to make it even worse.

And Russo thought this would get crowds behind her? I mean it did, when I had to tap out I was hoping she'd found a better place to be than TNA in the... 11 years since, but I don't think that's the best way to do it.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I Before E posted:

Well. That... that somehow manages to make it even worse.

And Russo thought this would get crowds behind her? I mean it did, when I had to tap out I was hoping she'd found a better place to be than TNA in the... 11 years since, but I don't think that's the best way to do it.

He also forgot the part where Vince Russo beat her like he was an abusive husband. Like not wrestling beating, backing her into a corner and smacking her with the back of his hand.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Russo loves his wife and children very much.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I think braindamage explains a few things about Russo, the rest is explained by him just being an rear end in a top hat.

So thanks to Dailymotion you get to see every episode of Nitro (And most PPV's - though for some reason I couldn't find Halloween Havoc 95). By that point Hogan is already champ so what was their weekly show prior to Nitro? Did they have one?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

They had WCW Saturday Night, which was their flagship show for years. They also had a Sunday show (I keep thinking it was called Main Event but it might have been Worldwide, I can't remember), plus the Clash of the Champions shows, although those were quarterly (I think) and not weekly.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Sunday show was Main Event, I can't remember what day Worldwide was on but that was the only WCW show that was aired outside of the states prior to Nitro.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Sunday show was Main Event, I can't remember what day Worldwide was on but that was the only WCW show that was aired outside of the states prior to Nitro.

Worldwide was syndicated so it aired whenever the station wanted to air it. They also had WCW Pro.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TNA should lobby to have Xplosion air for an hour Sunday nights at 7pm.

I really liked Main Event being used as a PPV pre-show that aired live matches and tried to get extra buys. Sunday Night Heat copied the same formula.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

They used to have (perhaps more in the NWA era than WCW, I can't remember for sure) the Friday Night Power Hour, I think that was usually on around 10 p.m. Eastern? My memories of that show are basically Gordon Solie commentating and Arn Anderson defending the hell out of the TV title.

tbh, I felt like NWA/WCW was way ahead of WWF as far as quality television programs in the late 80s/early 90s. WCWSN was more entertaining than Superstars, plus they had the Power Hour and the COTC. Saturday Night's Main Event was probably the best thing that either company would put on free TV, but as far as weekly goes, I definitely preferred NWA/WCW.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Edit: beaten.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Anyone else hate the Atlanta Braves for occasionally delaying WCW Saturday Night?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It sucks that we never really had WCW in the UK. We had like this weekly 'International' show that was supposedly largely just out of date anyway. The only time I ever got to see it was just some random showings we'd get sometimes. Hell TNA is shown more consistently than WCW ever was.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DrVenkman posted:

It sucks that we never really had WCW in the UK. We had like this weekly 'International' show that was supposedly largely just out of date anyway. The only time I ever got to see it was just some random showings we'd get sometimes. Hell TNA is shown more consistently than WCW ever was.

I watched so much WCW in the UK through scramblevision.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

TNA should lobby to have Xplosion air for an hour Sunday nights at 7pm.

I really liked Main Event being used as a PPV pre-show that aired live matches and tried to get extra buys. Sunday Night Heat copied the same formula.

Spike isn't interested in any additional TNA, they already turned down airing live specials that would replace the monthly PPVs TNA got rid of. They have no interest in an hour of filler.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

MassRafTer posted:

Spike isn't interested in any additional TNA, they already turned down airing live specials that would replace the monthly PPVs TNA got rid of. They have no interest in an hour of filler.

I suspect they have no interest in having TNA at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

It depends which ITV region you were in. London showed Worldwide at 3am every weekend from 92-96. Another region showed it for ten years in the afternoon.

Plus we also had the 5 hours of pain that was the Nitro/Thunder double bill on Friday nights. The channel 5 coverage was the drizzling shits though, being out of date and heavily censored. They had to insert 60's batman style "kapows" over half the action.