Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Met an old friend and he is apparently a singer in a band, and if he hadn't said so I would never be able to tell. Maybe it's the way he growls but it's so far off from his normal voice it's amazing.

http://open.spotify.com/artist/5KKQ18XD3T2gTWdGNBY80X or http://www.mikseri.net/artists/distressofruin.137154.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Hey kids, remember the :catdrugs: doom/psychedelic metal of JATAO and Blood Ceremony? Turns out the great state of Texas has peyote tea too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEVg9niMXPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yCchUbbKM

Vintersorg posted:

re: Rob Zombie live, he'll only ever play More Human, Thunder Kiss 65 and if you're lucky, Black Sunshine - I don't know why he doesn't reuinite that loving band and go on tour, it would be the greatest thing ever.

I was thinking about going to a Zombie/Cooper doubleheader a few years back. Glad I skipped it. Sounds like I can just go for Cooper and be happier.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Holy poo poo you just found out about The Sword? Lemme tell ya about this group called "Ghost". They're gonna be a big thing in a few years.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hulk Krogan posted:

Edit: Wrong metal thread. So....how about that new Scale the Summit record?
It's funny, I don't really listen to much prog metal anymore but Scale the Summit definitely fills a niche for me. I'd say more bands should follow their lead in terms of doing instrumental metal like this, but I have the feeling that a lot of bands that might go in this direction end up making djent

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

comes along bort posted:

Holy poo poo you just found out about The Sword? Lemme tell ya about this group called "Ghost". They're gonna be a big thing in a few years.

Ghost B.C. :smug:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

het posted:

It's funny, I don't really listen to much prog metal anymore but Scale the Summit definitely fills a niche for me. I'd say more bands should follow their lead in terms of doing instrumental metal like this, but I have the feeling that a lot of bands that might go in this direction end up making djent

Exactly. They also mostly avoid excessive wanking that comes with most instrumental heavy music, which is always a plus. I enjoy virtuosity as much as the next aspiring Jeff Loomis, but a person can only listen to lightspeed arpeggios for so long. It's nice to hear instrumental stuff that actually has some songwriting to it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

het posted:

Maybe I need to give it another listen because it sounds like the same noodling about that's in every other djenty/proggy album out there.

Edit:

Hulk Krogan posted:

Exactly. They also mostly avoid excessive wanking that comes with most instrumental heavy music, which is always a plus. I enjoy virtuosity as much as the next aspiring Jeff Loomis, but a person can only listen to lightspeed arpeggios for so long. It's nice to hear instrumental stuff that actually has some songwriting to it.

Did we listen to the same album?

For instrumentals with songwriting I usually turn to post-something

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 19, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I did say some songwriting :v: . There's definitely plenty of noodling but I feel like it's more of a jazz or jam band "hey let's all gently caress around for this whole section and then get back to the song proper" type of deal. In comparison, I listen to Jeff Loomis' solo albums and even though I'm a huge fan of his work with Nevermore, all I hear are glorified backing tracks for him to sweep endlessly over.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After about 5 listens, I gotta say the new Amon Amarth kills. There isn't a bad song on the album. The first 3 tracks are awesome. The dual vocals in Hel is kinda weird, but it works. Warriors of the North is awesome.

Being almost all really fast songs, it is fantastic lifting music.

Great album.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 19, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Maybe I need to give it another listen because it sounds like the same noodling about that's in every other djenty/proggy album out there.
Djent's attempts at sounding heavy sound stupid as hell to me. I don't think Scale the Summit is like incredible or amazing or whatever, but I enjoy their music. I think there's a lot of music made to fit to conceptions of what the genre is rather than just what they want to play (unnecessary concept albums, pointless funny time signatures, super fast shredding, stupid chuggy riffs to prove you're Metal), and I think Scale the Summit doesn't have some transcendent artistic vision, but I get the feeling they play what they want and I like how it sounds.

quote:

For instrumentals with songwriting I usually turn to post-something
Right but I actually like the noodly stuff which isn't really something you find in post-rock (note: I am not asking for recommendations for noodly post-rock, I am happy with the music I am currently listening to)

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ihsahn, Devin Townsend, Serj Tankian, and some guy made a song. It's pretty bad, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmIXmtXcmew

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

After about 5 listens, I gotta say the new Amon Amarth kills. There isn't a bad song on the album. The first 3 tracks are awesome. The dual vocals in Hel is kinda weird, but it works. Warriors of the North is awesome.

Being almost all really fast songs, it is fantastic lifting music.

Great album.

I disagree. Hel is literally their worst song they have ever had on any album ever. I find it completely unlistenable.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Defiant Sally posted:

I disagree. Hel is literally their worst song they have ever had on any album ever. I find it completely unlistenable.

Yeah, Hel's kind of the weakest link on the album. But, then I go back to "Father of the Wolf" and everything's ok again. :black101:

Trees and Squids posted:

Ihsahn, Devin Townsend, Serj Tankian, and some guy made a song. It's pretty bad, check it out.

Not sure how I feel about this. I like everyone involved but it also suffers the problem most supergroups have of trying to do too much at once. The first quarter of it is a mess, but on the flipside, the portion from about 2:40 - 4:00 is pretty good. And, apparently it's for a good cause?

I'm so torn. :iiam:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 20, 2013

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Trees and Squids posted:

Aside from Ihsahn's parts which make me think of Prometheus-era Emperor, the song is absolutely terrible. Serj just fumbles all over his syllables and I was super excited for the Devin Townsend that came at the end with almost none of the backing energy this his crazy solo work normally has. It's really awful. :smith:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

het posted:

Djent's attempts at sounding heavy sound stupid as hell to me. I don't think Scale the Summit is like incredible or amazing or whatever, but I enjoy their music. I think there's a lot of music made to fit to conceptions of what the genre is rather than just what they want to play (unnecessary concept albums, pointless funny time signatures, super fast shredding, stupid chuggy riffs to prove you're Metal), and I think Scale the Summit doesn't have some transcendent artistic vision, but I get the feeling they play what they want and I like how it sounds.

Right but I actually like the noodly stuff which isn't really something you find in post-rock (note: I am not asking for recommendations for noodly post-rock, I am happy with the music I am currently listening to)

I think a lot of these bands actually suffer from being really talented at their respective instruments in that they are terrible at actual composition. Just because you can sweep arpeggio's in your sleep doesn't necessarily mean you should.

I'm not saying you or anybody else shouldn't like this. It does something for you, it doesn't for me, no biggie. But let me recommend this one killer noodly post-rock group I found...

I've actually been listening to just a bunch of Leprous and Steven Wilson lately, aside from the usual death metal in the gym, and I think maybe I'm just getting old :corsair:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

So Serj has time to do that awful poo poo instead of getting back to making another SOAD album :| There's nothing Devin could have done to save that song, unless they had let him write and produce the entire thing himself, and then it would have sounded nothing like what I just heard

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not even listening to that track, I'm just laughing at the idea of those three collaborating. It's like a trinity of absolute poo poo

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Defiant Sally posted:

It's a really bad death metal song, but a fantastic doom song, and both vocalists are at their best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd-YidsFr_0

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, Hel's kind of the weakest link on the album. But, then I go back to "Father of the Wolf" and everything's ok again. :black101:

I think it's the other way around, although As Loke Falls is by far the best in that album.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
New Gorguts song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI

I think it's pretty good.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think a lot of these bands actually suffer from being really talented at their respective instruments in that they are terrible at actual composition.

That's been the common complaint about shred/tech/riff salad bands since time immemorial (the mid 1980s).

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Bruce Boxliker posted:

New Gorguts song.

I like it a lot. Looking forward to a new album, it's been forever since the last one...Like 2002?

The last half of Forgotten Arrows is amazing.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 20, 2013

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Bruce Boxliker posted:

New Gorguts song.

First few minutes sound a lot like Ulcerate. I dunno I'm not all that blown away, might have to give it a few more listens, but it doesn't really keep my attention. Then again I mostly only listen to Considered Dead anyway, and dont really bother with the other albums that much.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 21, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just finishing the album (a friend linked me to an advanced copy), and it's basically From Wisdom to Hate part 2. It's my second-favorite album of the year so far.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I streamed the new Amon Amarth this afternoon and it rips. Much better than Surtur Rising. Only track I didn't really like was "Hel".

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
Anyone who doesn't like the new Amon Amarth album, I could understand. It must be hard listening to music filtered by their buttcheeks, having their head so far up their own rear end.

Honestly, the answer to "What do you think of Amon Amarth?" is all anyone needs to know as to whether or not someone actually likes listening to metal or is just trying really, really hard to be more touchy about popularity than everyone else. Some bands are popular in metal simply because they're so consistently solid, and Amon Amarth is one of those bands.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
...or maybe we're just bored by thrash?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

NarkyBark posted:

...or maybe we're just bored by thrash?
Amon Amarth is pretty straight melodeath though?

Xombie posted:

Anyone who doesn't like the new Amon Amarth album, I could understand. It must be hard listening to music filtered by their buttcheeks, having their head so far up their own rear end.

Honestly, the answer to "What do you think of Amon Amarth?" is all anyone needs to know as to whether or not someone actually likes listening to metal or is just trying really, really hard to be more touchy about popularity than everyone else. Some bands are popular in metal simply because they're so consistently solid, and Amon Amarth is one of those bands.
That's seriously loving stupid, sorry. People have different tastes than you, and it's not because of some stupid personal flaw you project on them, they just enjoy different things than you do.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I am so indifferent to Amon Amarth it's almost painful. I don't hate them, but nothing they've ever done has grabbed me. Let's forego the No True Scotsman poo poo, people listen to metal for different reasons and have wildly varying tastes. I think people who don't like Kalmah are actually insane, but I don't run around chest beating about it vOv.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
People listen to metal for different reasons but if you don't laugh at Abigail and Sarcofago lyrics then you have no soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2k97N3AUEM

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Exactly... we all have different tastes. I love tech death, but lots of people complain about it being soulless and I can see where they're coming from- so although I love it, it doesn't make anyone a turd if they don't.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

het posted:

Amon Amarth is pretty straight melodeath though?

Listenable 'pretty straight melodeath' is actually kinda rare at this point. Most bands in the genre bore me to tears these days, where Amon Amarth is a band that somehow, despite doing almost nothing different ever, keeps me interested. I will admit that I miss their old sound and I wish they would stay away from guitar noodling solo's, since I kinda feel they're going in that direction now. There was a little too much weedley wee type poo poo on the newest album for my tastes. I dont listen to Amon Amarth for that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Defiant Sally posted:

Listenable 'pretty straight melodeath' is actually kinda rare at this point. Most bands in the genre bore me to tears these days, where Amon Amarth is a band that somehow, despite doing almost nothing different ever, keeps me interested.
Oh sure, I'm not saying they're indistinguishable from any other melodeath band, I'm just saying they aren't thrash metal.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Defiant Sally posted:

Listenable 'pretty straight melodeath' is actually kinda rare at this point. Most bands in the genre bore me to tears these days, where Amon Amarth is a band that somehow, despite doing almost nothing different ever, keeps me interested. I will admit that I miss their old sound and I wish they would stay away from guitar noodling solo's, since I kinda feel they're going in that direction now. There was a little too much weedley wee type poo poo on the newest album for my tastes. I dont listen to Amon Amarth for that.

I probably enjoyed it because my expectations were rock bottom to be honest. They're kind of one of those gateway bands that helped me get into a lot more extreme metal, and the new album announcement got me all nostalgic on them. Been spinning With Oden on Our Side quite a lot recently, and looking forward to seeing them with Carcass. The new album being good was a pleasant surprise.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Too many noodles and weedles ITT

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Xombie posted:

I LOVE amon amarth, I do not like this new album, and you're an idiot.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Xombie posted:

I can appreciate the fact that Amon Amarth is good at what they do, but what they do it's pretty loving boring to me. I'm more of a brutal/tech death metal fan and melodeath doesn't do poo poo for me, popularity have nothing to do with that.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They're an abomination unto death metal, as is all melodeath. Happy to help.

But seriously, is it any surprise that a band with relatively mainstream appeal playing in a style that isn't universally popular within a subculture might arouse divisiveness? For every person out there who's a fan there's probably 10 more who can't see the appeal, think they're rubbish or wish 1995 had never happened for death metal. And at least one of them is going to be unable to hold their tongue.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

The Clit Avoider posted:

or wish 1995 had never happened for death metal.

Had to do a quick google search for the release date of Slaughter of the Soul, haha, checks out.

Wyzt fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

You guys are missing the important topic with all this Amon Amarth talk: There is a new Gorguts album coming out very soon.

Get your poo poo together, people.