Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

alcharagia posted:

I just got Wild Arms 3. Tell me about Wild Arms 3.
You cannot buy heal berries in 95% of situations. Heal berries are very important. You can get heal berries (as well as potion berries and other nice things) through the garden sidequest, so do it ASAP and keep doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Quiet Python posted:

I've only made it as far as the Iron Age, but here's my strategy so far.

Thanks for the tips. I think the kids thing is one of the harder ones for me to strategize around. It seems vital to invest in education (one time I ended up with a real turd of a kid who just couldn't earn himself enough tokens to avoid the crocodiles), but I feel like I'm always running out of tokens if I do that...I guess I just need to work a little harder to figure out the right balance. 2 kids seems like the optimal amount, but then I always accidentally end up with a 3rd and it screws me.

I dunno. It seems like a game designed around fiddling, I'll figure it out. Your tips were helpful!

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks for the tips. I think the kids thing is one of the harder ones for me to strategize around. It seems vital to invest in education (one time I ended up with a real turd of a kid who just couldn't earn himself enough tokens to avoid the crocodiles), but I feel like I'm always running out of tokens if I do that...I guess I just need to work a little harder to figure out the right balance. 2 kids seems like the optimal amount, but then I always accidentally end up with a 3rd and it screws me.

I dunno. It seems like a game designed around fiddling, I'll figure it out. Your tips were helpful!

Yeah, my guys always seem to wind up with one kid...or six. I'm not sure, but I think loving spouses are more likely to conceive children.

Things seem to balance out over time. You have an awesome ancestor, then a few crappy generations, then a real lousy kid, then his kids have it a little better. I'm finally going to try to reach the Nobility ring in the Iron Age. From shepherd to Caesar. It should be quite a tale!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Star Ocean 2 on the PSX.

How grindy is it? Anything in particular to look out for or avoid or go out of my way to do/get?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone have any words for Kingdom Hearts 3ds? There seems like so much to take in all at once. Do I blow spirit money on lovely spirit levels or just wait til I get can everyone to A class and then blow all my mats on that one?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Mass Effect 3?

I'm learning that this game plays very differently than ME2. Instead of posting up behind my favorite wall and killing waves of enemies, you have to be light on your feet and constantly thinking and moving. Is there any other things I should know about the way this game plays?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Heran Bago posted:

Star Ocean 2 on the PSX.

How grindy is it? Anything in particular to look out for or avoid or go out of my way to do/get?
Medium amounts of grindy for a PSX-era RPG. If you want to circumvent it, though, there are ways to hilariously break the game over your knee. Several of them. Most of them involve utilizing the fun but terribly imbalanced crafting/skill systems. I can't recall exact details right now, but you can get ridiculously powerful very early.

The voices are endearingly terrible. Learn to love them. Opera and Precis in particular are terrible/great. heeeere's mister enemyyyyyyyyy

There are three choices of mutually exclusive characters, and if you have one you can't get the other:
  • Your choice of who to play as at the beginning determines whose viewpoint you see the plot through, but each route also has one exclusive character. Claude gets a spellcaster, Rena gets a swordsman. The swordsman is definitely better (I don't remember non-Rena casters being anything more than worthless), but he's kind of insufferable so.
  • Fairly early on, before you leave the first continent, you will hear rumors about ruins somewhere, and rumors about someone fighting a dragon. You can only do one of these sidequests, and each of them nets you a character. If you go back to find the guy fighting dragons in the mines, you get a dual sword user. If you go investigate the ruins, you get a lady with a giant ray gun. Both of them are really really good, so your choice doesn't matter a ton gameplay-wise. If you recruit the lady, you can also pick up her partner later, but he's probably the worst character in the entire game so.
  • When you go to a university town to get something translated, you can recruit either a doctor or a hyperactive teenage girl. The doctor is probably better, mechanics-wise. The teenage girl controls a giant mecha arm with a PSX controller and has probably the most awe-inspiringly awful voice acting in the game, so if you're entertained by that pick her.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

S.H.I.V.'s were patched and now they work as-designed. They're brilliant mobile cover. Oh and a good pair of skills for Snipers is Squadsight and drat Good Ground. Put them somewhere atop a hill or building and watch them murder anything your team can see.

I am restarting and it's been awhile. Does drat Good Ground play well with Archangel Armor?

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Mass Effect 3?

I'm learning that this game plays very differently than ME2. Instead of posting up behind my favorite wall and killing waves of enemies, you have to be light on your feet and constantly thinking and moving. Is there any other things I should know about the way this game plays?
It's not that different. They added some movement options to flit between covers (the tutorial mission explains this during the first encounter with a turret), but personally I never found it useful. You can get through the game just fine playing it like ME2. Enemies like to flank a bit more that ME2, so bunkering down can get you into trouble if you aren't aware.

If, like me, you are a bit of a completionist, you should be aware that the Reaper alert while scanning resets each time you do any mission. So be sure to pop around to each star system you haven't 100% between each trip, to maximixe you chances to scan down stuff. Everything that count towards war assets can be found on planets, so if you covered all of them and still lack something, it is invariably a fuel depot somewhere (and thus unimportant, save to save you a few credits).

Remember to check the spectre office by the embassies each time you are on the citadel. Some easy to miss stuff there. Finally, all conversation checks work off your reputation first, and your paragon/renegade value second. This leaves you free to mix and match paragon and renegade options without any sort of penalty, so pick whatever you want.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Heran Bago posted:

Star Ocean 2 on the PSX.

Star Ocean 2 is the most breakable game I have ever seen. It was designed to be exploited by min-maxers. If that doesn't sound fun to you, play through normally but pay attention to what the guy above me said about picking up extra characters, because they are all very good and easily missable. Be diligent with your private actions and revisit areas to make sure you get them.

Here are a few tips that don't abuse the mechanics:

Control Claude in battle, even if you are playing as Rena. Claude is your most important character.

Don't train any skill that costs more than 1 SP until you purchase and max perseverance, which reduces the SP cost of all skills. It is the most important skill in the game and you should get it the moment you have access to it, which is when you finish the events in Salva. Go to the town of Herlie on the eastern end of the Cross continent and buy it from the skill guild.

In the early game, the most important skills are the ones that raise your base stats, especially strength and guts. Crafting doesn't come into play until you've nearly finished the first disc, because it takes that long for all the necessary skills to become available.

When you do get in to crafting, you will need talents. Trying to craft without the appropriate talent is pointless. You can unlock talents by using their appropriate crafts. For example, using cooking gives you a chance to unlock sense of taste. The chance of unlocking a particular talent is different for each character. The chances usually are low. Shortly after you begin the second disc you will gain access to a super specialty called orchestra that will increase the chances of learning talents dramatically.

I recommend restarting the game until your main character spawns with the dexterity talent. This will allow you to pickpocket townspeople. Pickpocketing is one of the best ways in the game to get items and gear. In order to pickpocket, you need to wear a bandit's glove or magician's glove accessory, then press square next to your target. Pickpocketing will decrease your affinity with all party members currently traveling with you, so always do your pickpocketing during private actions, when you are alone.

If you can build up 40,000 FOL in the early game, do it and buy the bandit's glove at Herlie. Then go to the port of Clik in a private action and pickpocket Filia, the fortuneteller girl in the town square. You only have one chance to do this. Reset if you fail (or if you proceed too far in the story; this is a time-limited event). If you succeed, you will get an accessory that will give you items as you walk around. Very useful to build your crafting stock and your cash. The best way to earn the FOL is to train someone in the playfulness skill; each level gives you money, and higher levels give you a lot of it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

GhostBoy posted:

If, like me, you are a bit of a completionist, you should be aware that the Reaper alert while scanning resets each time you do any mission. So be sure to pop around to each star system you haven't 100% between each trip, to maximixe you chances to scan down stuff. Everything that count towards war assets can be found on planets, so if you covered all of them and still lack something, it is invariably a fuel depot somewhere (and thus unimportant, save to save you a few credits).
No need to do that between missions, the Reapers in the space map are no threat at all.

Even after an alarm has sounded, you just exit and re-enter the star system and the Reapers will reappear at random edges of the oval, instead of wherever you left them. If you orient the Normandy so that you enter closest to whichever planet you want to scan/land, you'll have more than enough time to do that and leave before the Reapers catch up. And if they do catch up, the gameover screen doesn't even kick you to the main menu, instead it reloads to right before you entered the system, so you don't even waste time.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I picked up Wargame: Airland Battle and I think I'm regretting it because I'm in way over my head but I figured I'd just check in here to see if there was some basic set of tips that would make the whole game come together for me before I gave up on it and went back to Civ.

Basically my thing is that there's way too many units, and I'm having a hard time sorting out their roles (both in terms of classes comparing to each other, as well as units within the same class comparing to each other), how to compose a good army, and what on earth to do with it all when the fighting starts, because there's so much happening on screen all at once.

I figure I'd start with America, since at least with them I can recognize the units by name, but any general tips would be appreciated.

I don't know if this is going to be too late for you or if you've found it already, but check out the dedicated thread for some really helpful advice.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538837&pagenumber=1

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There are three choices of mutually exclusive characters, and if you have one you can't get the other:
[list][*]Your choice of who to play as at the beginning determines whose viewpoint you see the plot through, but each route also has one exclusive character. Claude gets a spellcaster, Rena gets a swordsman. The swordsman is definitely better (I don't remember non-Rena casters being anything more than worthless), but he's kind of insufferable so.

I am pretty sure that only Claude can recruit Opera and Ernest as well. And Opera is the best healer in the game :colbert: Also all offensive casters are pretty bad for dealing damage. Casting is just not as good as spamming artes non stop.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Mass Effect 3?

I'm playing this myself right now, and something I learned the hard way that I wished I had known before playing:

-In the beginning of the game during the Mars mission, when you talk to the Illusive Man pick the Investigate dialogue option on the left to open up a potential Charm/Intimidate option. If you miss this it will lock you out of something later.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader

I have the GOG version, if that matters. Any abilities that are particularly good/bad/interesting? Any fan patches recommended? Looking for mechanics info, mostly--I don't want to get invested in a character and then find out that ranged weapons are useless (or whatever).

Since it's a Black Isle SPECIAL game I assume Intelligence and Agility are great and Speech is a useful skill.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am pretty sure that only Claude can recruit Opera and Ernest as well. And Opera is the best healer in the game :colbert: Also all offensive casters are pretty bad for dealing damage. Casting is just not as good as spamming artes non stop.

Opera might be the best healer in the game, but Ashton is... Ashton. He's arguably the most entertaining character in the game.

PokeCrysis
Apr 15, 2013

I just bought Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation 1.

Any tips for not raising the alarm/general game help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Just got the Crusader Kings 2 collection in the sale. I played a German HRE count from like age 55 to his death at 80, and the experience, while certainly enjoyable, seemed mostly passive. My dukes got into a couple of petty fights, and the Kaiser got into a lot of rebel-crushing, but I didn't seem to be able to participate much, since I could only pick up about 200 troops. But that's probably just me needing to go through the rest of the tutorials.

Anyway, what should I be doing with marriage and children? I've noticed that sometimes a weak claim comes up in lands where I've got somebody married in, but like I said, I don't have much of an army to press it. I also don't seem to ever have marriage requests denied, even though I was just some old-rear end count setting up my brother's daughter with some king. And for children, is there any reason to legitimize a bastard unless it would be my only heir, other than pissing off my wife? She set up a plot to try to kill my lover, and died of old age shortly after I chased her off.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PokeCrysis posted:

Any tips for not raising the alarm/general game help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MGS1 is as simple as it gets. Enemies follow very exact patrol routes, they follow footprints like a dog chasing crumbs, and cameras are easy to avoid.

The game plays like a big Metroid style game. You go through "dungeon" areas with an item at the end that grants you access to previously inaccessible areas and secrets. Every time you get a keycard there's probably a door somewhere you couldn't go through that contains a helpful item. And as with any Metal Gear game you should call everyone on your codec any time something major happens. The characters all have detailed responses to the scenarios and there's a bunch of hidden easter eggs to discover.

Oh, and Meryl's frequency is 140.15 . Spoilered just in case you have the original game and want to discover it yourself.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PokeCrysis posted:

It's been a while since I played it but from memory:

• Have a lot of patience for listening to codec conversations because there's a lot of them. At the same time calling people can give you a bunch of useful and interesting information.
  • I'm not entirely sure but I think one of your codec contacts (Natasha) isn't automatically added to your codec list, although her frequency is mentioned. Having looked it up, the frequency's 141.52.
  • When you encounter doors locked by keycards, try and remember their locations so that you can return and open them later because non-mandatory locked doors often have useful stuff in them. In general explore areas as thoroughly as you can since there's quite a bit of hidden goodies. Even your very first opportunity to get a gun is semi-hidden in the helipad area.
  • You have an easier time with sneaking if you observe enemy patrol routes beforehand, basic stealth game stuff.
  • Quickly tapping R1 when you have a weapon equipped instantly reloads the weapon. Very handy at times, although you should avoid firefights when possible.
  • I think it's mentioned in the game but having a Ration equipped automatically saves you from death. Easier difficulties increase the amount of Rations you can carry.
  • Standing unarmed next to an enemy and pressing square allows you to drag them and even silently kill them if you press it repeatedly.
  • Cigarettes slowly reduce your health but they also reveal lasers. They also help when using a sniper rifle.
  • Watch out for loud surfaces and water, they'll make noise if you run over them.
  • In snowy areas enemies can detect your footprints. Since they follow them precisely as you left them, running in circles will also make the guard run in circles which is pretty funny to watch.
  • Thermal Goggles are great for detecting a whole lot of things you can't see with the naked eye, experiment with them if you find them.
  • Slight spoiler but worth pointing out, the ending (and the "new game+" reward) you get depends entirely on how well you do at a certain point of the game that requires you to rapidly press a button. You should be familiar with it if you've played other MGS games.

PokeCrysis
Apr 15, 2013

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to find out what moment in the game you are talking about but I do understand the mechanic. Thanks for the heads up.

quote:

Since they follow them precisely as you left them, running in circles will also make the guard run in circles which is pretty funny to watch.

Oh god, reading this brought back repressed memories of Charlies Angels for the GameCube. Well, there's my day ruined.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Red Minjo posted:

Anyway, what should I be doing with marriage and children? I've noticed that sometimes a weak claim comes up in lands where I've got somebody married in, but like I said, I don't have much of an army to press it.
Save up money for one of two options: mercenaries or assassins. Even the cheapest mercenary band will generally let you comfortably beat another count in your duchy (make sure he doesn't have strong allies or the cash to hire his own mercs, though). This is the most straightforward way to expand when you're starting out.

Assassins let you marry your heir to, say, someone's daughter, then kill her brother(s) so that she inherits and passes her lands to your heir's son. It's much riskier, but with a good spymaster you can potentially grab a whole duchy or more without a single battle. Try to do it when your daughter-in-law's parents (or at least her mother) are old, so there's less danger that they will pop up another male heir.

quote:

And for children, is there any reason to legitimize a bastard unless it would be my only heir, other than pissing off my wife? She set up a plot to try to kill my lover, and died of old age shortly after I chased her off.
If your bastard has awesome traits and your regular heir sucks it can be worth it to legitimise the bastard, assuming he's older. Expect the dispossessed heir to cause trouble, of course, but that's much easier to handle than having a lovely ruler.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

PokeCrysis posted:

Between being unarmed, leaving footprints in the snow and it being my first stealth game, I remember the first two areas being among the toughest in the game for me. Don't get frustrated if you have trouble with them while you're still learning the ropes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red Minjo posted:

Just got the Crusader Kings 2 collection in the sale. I played a German HRE count from like age 55 to his death at 80, and the experience, while certainly enjoyable, seemed mostly passive. My dukes got into a couple of petty fights, and the Kaiser got into a lot of rebel-crushing, but I didn't seem to be able to participate much, since I could only pick up about 200 troops. But that's probably just me needing to go through the rest of the tutorials.

Anyway, what should I be doing with marriage and children? I've noticed that sometimes a weak claim comes up in lands where I've got somebody married in, but like I said, I don't have much of an army to press it. I also don't seem to ever have marriage requests denied, even though I was just some old-rear end count setting up my brother's daughter with some king. And for children, is there any reason to legitimize a bastard unless it would be my only heir, other than pissing off my wife? She set up a plot to try to kill my lover, and died of old age shortly after I chased her off.

Someone did a really informative let's play of it a while back, it really taught me how to do a lot of the stuff in the game. It's here if you're interested: http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, nothing really brings you up to the game's spirit like House Briain's ascent from an rear end-end Irish duchy to a continent-spanning empire headed from Cairo. Sold me on the game last year.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

PJOmega posted:

I am restarting and it's been awhile. Does drat Good Ground play well with Archangel Armor?

I'm pretty sure it does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

No it doesn't. They have to be standing on actual ground for the bonus.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

GhostBoy posted:

It's not that different. They added some movement options to flit between covers (the tutorial mission explains this during the first encounter with a turret), but personally I never found it useful.

This was driving me crazy. I still can't get my Shepard to stop rolling sometimes when in combat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Squirtle Squadee posted:

This was driving me crazy. I still can't get my Shepard to stop rolling sometimes when in combat.

If you use the cover button while moving you'll roll (or whatever the character's dodge is in multiplayer). If you're close enough to cover you'll roll into the cover. If you press against the edge of cover you'll see an arrow: if you press cover again you'll automatically jump there or make a beeline to the next cover. If you've played Gears of War, you've played ME3's cover system.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I have one and only one thing to add to the entry on Freedom Force.

Early on, one mission has an optional objective of not alerting any guards, which amounts to not letting enemies touch guardhouses. It's practically impossible to pull this off, so just let the enemies activate EVERY guardhouses, since the prestige from the enemies spawned by the guardhouses is actually far more than the reward from said objective.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I have one and only one thing to add to the entry on Freedom Force.

Early on, one mission has an optional objective of not alerting any guards, which amounts to not letting enemies touch guardhouses. It's practically impossible to pull this off, so just let the enemies activate EVERY guardhouses, since the prestige from the enemies spawned by the guardhouses is actually far more than the reward from said objective.

I've added this to the wiki.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I'm about to dive into Fable 3, and I remember people griping about missing the opportunity VERY early in the game to purchase some land that is only available for a short window of time; it may or may not tie into the happy end for the game, I'm not really sure.

Could someone elucidate for me, or do I need to be more specific?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have a strange one. In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I've already beaten the game on Normal, and I'm starting a game of Ironman Classic. Anything I should know, specific to the increase in difficulty. Basic strategies like snipers, satellites, the difference between Overwatch and Hunker Down are already known, I mean specific bits of advice for jumping into the hardest 'realistic' (non-Second Wave) difficult with both feet.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Father Wendigo posted:

I'm about to dive into Fable 3, and I remember people griping about missing the opportunity VERY early in the game to purchase some land that is only available for a short window of time; it may or may not tie into the happy end for the game, I'm not really sure.

Could someone elucidate for me, or do I need to be more specific?

Im not sure but i think you might be getting confused with Fable 2? There is a point where a man wants to borrow money from you in Westcliff for a development opportunity. You need to give him this money before leaving for the spire to have a new town be established.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for the hot tips about Star Ocean 2 guys. I love a game with some hilarious break to it. I guess I'll play it kind of normal first but I'll have your guys cliff-notes with me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More Mass Effect 3. If you're like me and bought all of the supposedly "good" DLC ahead of time, you may wind up starting some of them before you're really supposed to do so. I am of course referring to the Citadel DLC, which opens up once you're told to visit Anderson's apartment. I did not know this and blindly went there, which ultimately kicked off the DLC. It's really jarring to play in the middle of the game and I honestly kind of hated it as a result. So hold off on visiting the apartment until you're at the end of the game.

Related, but:
-Is there anything inherently "wrong" with the PS3 trilogy edition?
-Is it true there is no current way to import saves for the PS3 versions for any of the games?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Related, but:
-Is there anything inherently "wrong" with the PS3 trilogy edition?
-Is it true there is no current way to import saves for the PS3 versions for any of the games?

There's nothing wrong with it. Aside from typical Mass Effect bugs, it plays fine.

I've imported games from both Mass Effect 1 and 2.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sorry, I meant downloading saves from online which I know you can do for the PC and kinda sorta 360. Obviously you could just play through the trilogy again.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

PokeCrysis posted:

Everyone's covered pretty much what you'll need to know, but here's a tip for a boss fight at the end of disc 1.

You may think you're supposed to get in this big sniper vs. sniper fight against Sniper Wolf. Clever people run to the right, lie prone behind the small hill, and shoot her with remote control missiles. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

Everyone's covered pretty much what you'll need to know, but here's a tip for a boss fight at the end of disc 1.

You may think you're supposed to get in this big sniper vs. sniper fight against Sniper Wolf. Clever people run to the right, lie prone behind the small hill, and shoot her with remote control missiles. :haw:

Of they equip their IR goggles like punks.

The same punks that took potshots against The End or turned their clocks ahead a week.