Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

my dad posted:

Or it's just a case of "Don't tell the king that he killed your Asherah worshiping stepfather."

I think we should heed the warning for now. The dream sequence to me was a subconscious decision about ourselves. Do we still follow Asherah? Do we reject Sushem and his teachings? Do we just walk away from him? I'm not sure what else we could get from telling Tudiyah about the dream.

I'm more interested in Jalitha's reaction. I want to talk to her more about why we have to avoid the subject when we have a moment alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I vote that, regardless of what we end up doing, we physically try to reach out for the words the king says the next time he does his magical interpretation act.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

G

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is not closed but I anticipate updating in about half an hour.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Tell Tudiya about the "Storm is Coming" and "Save for Years of Hardship" dream instead

Edit: Also keep eating. Gotta eat well if you want to be a big swole warrior.

This. I'm pretty sure this stuff is the important part anyway

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You do not seem to understand your mother's words, but you do as she says. You take another sip of soup. You start on your third bowl. You are still very hungry. This is probably due to the fact you were asleep for days after a tiring experience and not anything supernatural, however.

You turn to your mother again. You ask her to interpret your words, but after a few, Tudiya motions for her to stop. It is obvious by now that Tudiya seems to be able to understand you. "Um. When I was a little boy, I almost drowned in the sea and I heard a strange voice. It told me that a storm was coming and then, there was a storm. Last night, um, or when I was asleep, when we were coming back through the forest, I heard a voice again. It said to save for years of hardship. What was the voice? What does it mean?"

Tudiya turns to Barkof who is seated beside him and speaks, you can probably guess he just told Barkof what you said. A discussion among the other men occur, gesturing at you several times, Ishamal laughs several times during it. He and Barkof seem to be arguing about something.

As the adults talk, you talk with Danal and your mother, who tell you what happened after you disappeared from the camp. Danal, with your mothers help tells you excitedly that "The monsters kept growing back what got cut off but papa tore them in half and they couldn't grow THOSE parts back and WOW!"

He seems rather excited and mimics what he saw, standing up, holding his hands together and then spreading them apart and saying "wraaaaagh!" as if he was tearing one of the monsters in half.

The men stop their discussion and Tudiya asks your mother several questions. Some of them are probably about you and seem to be, from the few words you can understand and their body language and tone. You are a child, her child and it is not at all out of the ordinary for conversations to occur as if you are not present, such a conversation is in fact now occurring. She answers Tudiya's questions though you can't really keep track of what was asked and answered. She then asks you several questions on Tudiya's behalf.

"Sweetling, the king asks if you have ever seen anything flying in the sky which was not a bird, if you have seen birds or other animals act oddly in the summer and if you have ever seen these voices."

You...

OPTION A - tell him um... no?
OPTION B - tell him yes.
OPTION C - Ask Tudiya a question. Freeform. I'll answer them as you ask them, following similar conventions from the game so far, which are, if it is not obviously, you can ask it. Telling him a NPC something is generally a "voting" action.
OPTION D - Something else.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We saw whales in the sky at one point, but that's all I can really think of, and it's part of the dream to not be mentioned.

Question to ourselves: do we recall ever seeing anything like the king has described? I guess when we flew with Ishamal we saw some crazy stuff, but I somehow don't think that counts.

edit: I also vote to tell the king that we first heard the voice after our mother attempted cutting our hair the first time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
We've technically seen these voices, in that they're represented by pictures. Does Ogkidel also perceive them as pictures?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The white text on black background, you heard.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 22, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'm honestly unsure if we have or haven't seen flying non-birds or animals acting weirdly. Anyone recall?

Absum
May 28, 2013

B, we saw whales fly in a dream once, though I doubt that's what he means.

SerSpook posted:

edit: I also vote to tell the king that we first heard the voice after our mother attempted cutting our hair the first time.

This as well.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
B. Even though it was in a dream, we did see flying whales. Describe their song and then their fear. Let him know it was a dream, of course, but the coincidence of it all is worth checking into.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
We haven't SEEN any voices, but we've... felt voices. Maybe that's important?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Looking through all the village updates, I can't find anything like Tudiya suggested, so unless there's something super-subtle, like a flying rabbit in one of the pictures, we haven't seen any of that.

We flew through the sky and are not a bird, though considering that's less El and more Asherah, it's probably not what Tudiya was talking about.

I'm gonna go with elaborate that we heard the voices after getting our first haircut and getting the Asherah punched out of us.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A: Tell him the truth, no point in lying, especially since the whole question also asks about 'seeing the voices', which we certainly haven't; he's probably wondering if we've ever seen angels; yeah, we've dreamt of flying whales, but I doubt dreams are what he has in mind, or that we'd think to say so. Who supplies dream information in response to everyday questions, after all? We'd probably come off pretty daft.

I suppose it might be nice if we could say A, no, but then supply that we dreamt of flying whales, in a confused, trying to offer something sort of way.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

We did seem to see something that might be Asherah when we heard the second message.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Raserys posted:

I'm gonna go with elaborate that we heard the voices after getting our first haircut and getting the Asherah punched out of us.

Voting for this.

Also, I love the phrase "getting the Asherah punched out".

Changing my vote to A. Just going to give the king a straight answer.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 22, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Algid posted:

We did seem to see something that might be Asherah when we heard the second message.

What? Can you elaborate?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Algid posted:

Oh, there's an interesting point, hm.

Actually, while we're remembering things, can we remember to ask about the names Mereniel and Xuriel at some point?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

What? Can you elaborate?
This little guy!

I'm doubtful that the voice was Asherah. When we tried to channel him, all we got was HUNGER in big comic sans on red with some other words (save, kill, me, Mereniel, Xuriel, can't remember any others), while the voice is small white on black text with just the message.

I'm thinking our Asherah vision was just the last of it leaving our system as we coughed up that seawater.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since I don't quite remember the correct answer, I'll vote for NOT LYING.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Raserys posted:

This little guy!

Oh yeah. I forgot about fish batman.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Theglavwen posted:

Oh, there's an interesting point, hm.

Actually, while we're remembering things, can we remember to ask about the names Mereniel and Xuriel at some point?

Xuriel is an angel of flight, known for its large, beautiful wings. We do not know anything about Mereniel.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Diogines posted:

According to your mother's stories, the Sky Giant Xuriel is said to have immensely beautiful wings and often soar through the sky, making rainbows after it rains. He is also a friend to birds.

Dunno why Asherah cares about El's angel of flight. Or was that our thought coming through the hunger? Or maybe it was just Asherah's. :iiam:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Raserys posted:

Dunno why Asherah cares about El's angel of flight. Or was that our thought coming through the hunger? Or maybe it was just Asherah's. :iiam:

"We were eaten by Asherah, but are immortal and cannot die. Help us or kill us!"

Maybe? :tinfoil:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Tudiya is a human lie detector. We saw what might have been Asherah, but at the time it was not talking was it? So, no we have never seen the voices, only heard them. Why? What's the difference?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Raserys posted:

This one. Always good to be clear!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Raserys posted:

A and do this

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Raserys posted:

Well, the beatings didn't start until AFTER we heard the first voice. We had some hair and, thanks to Sushem, scalp cut before we had our near drowning.

Diogines posted:

He screams out to Asherah, cuts his palms on the giant tooth and says many things you don't understand, partially because you do not know many of the words and partially because he is ritually throwing Jalitha's long pretty golden hair into the water while half drowning you. Her pretty hair sticks to your face and drifts past your eyes as you scream and struggle for breath.

There is lightning as you continue to struggle for breath and have your head dunked beneath the water again and again.

You pass out.

And for reference when we heard the voice a second time (modified of course):

Diogines posted:

Pain.

Darkness.

*snip*

You feel cold.

You feel wet all over.

You smell salt.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

SerSpook posted:

Xuriel is an angel of flight, known for its large, beautiful wings. We do not know anything about Mereniel.

Right, right, just Mereniel then. Well, no actually, asking for more in depth stuff about Xuriel, and possibly its relationship to Mereniel, could shed some light.

my dad posted:

"We were eaten by Asherah, but are immortal and cannot die. Help us or kill us!"

Maybe? :tinfoil:

I sort of wonder if maybe Asherah might want to be killed. It doesn't seem to have a very enjoyable existence, starving to the point of madness all the time, no matter how much it eats. Could want to be put out of its misery, on some level, but is unable to control itself or do anything but eat and fight when angels come to slay it.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I just realized the voice saying "Save for years of hardship" doesn't make any sense from Og's fish village perspective. The sea provided everything for them, and they did not grow any food that could be stored for years.

Maybe we should ask someone what would anyone want to save for years? Even dried fish goes bad in less than a year.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Raserys posted:

I will vote A and the above is good too.

I also want to mention that we did see that scary face. The king is asking for more details on crazy poo poo we have seen and might be pulling at straws to probe our memory of important signs. That face seems quite important and he seems like the type of badass that needs to know about that thing.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Going to boil it down to NOT LYING.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Vote A

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

The men stop their discussion and Tudiya asks your mother several questions. Some of them are probably about you and seem to be, from the few words you can understand and their body language and tone. You are a child, her child and it is not at all out of the ordinary for conversations to occur as if you are not present, such a conversation is in fact now occurring. She answers Tudiya's questions though you can't really keep track of what was asked and answered. She then asks you several questions on Tudiya's behalf.

"Sweetling, the king asks if you have ever seen anything flying in the sky which was not a bird, if you have seen birds or other animals act oddly in the summer and if you have ever seen these voices."

Voting C: "What did you ask my mother? You asked her several questions, then had her ask me some. I know you can make me hear your questions in a way I understand. What are you trying to hide? What do the questions you let her ask me mean? Does this have anything to do with what I did before Ishamal saved me, or with Ashera, or with some stories of El I'm not familiar with? Have I done something wrong?"

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm all for elaborating on that we heard the first voice after we had our first haircut, but "getting the Asherah pounded out of us" didn't happen until afterward. We would be lying. The only one getting the Asherah kicked out of them was Jalitha at that time. That's why we went to Jorah to say "SAVE JALITHA".

Also note that both times we heard the voice had something to do with the ocean. We almost were drowned by Sushem the first time, and we tasted salt and felt wet the second time, even in the middle of the forest.

Voting to NOT LIE.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Go with Not Lying. Kings can tell when you lie.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Voting C. Tell the king, either in our words, or through our mother, that we had just experienced a strange vision and that we must tell him, even if we fear it will anger you. This is something serious we experienced and it is also important to tell that we have turned our back on the old ways. We are going to be a hero and heroes do not lie or hide the truth. Our mother need not fear for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Arkanomen posted:

Voting C. Tell the king, either in our words, or through our mother, that we had just experienced a strange vision and that we must tell him, even if we fear it will anger you. This is something serious we experienced and it is also important to tell that we have turned our back on the old ways. We are going to be a hero and heroes do not lie or hide the truth. Our mother need not fear for us.

Agreed. C