Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Yup, sounds like Enfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

Charge cooling isn't really critical on supercharged engines. Most of the heat in turbo cars comes from the blazing hot exhaust turbine. Considering they're sucking cold air before it's compressed, they're probably fine as long as they're not running insane amounts of boost.

I am sorry, but the ideal gas law says you are wrong. PV = nRT is difficult to escape. Unless pressure is mostly increasing at the same ratio volume is decreasing, but then what's the point of a turbo? You'd end up with the same mass of air flowing in.

(this is where someone who knows more about chemistry and thermodynamics than me, or at least knows more than the ideal gas law and knows what the word adiabatic means comes in and shoots holes in my argument :downs:)

(click for big)

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 20, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, the act of compressing the air is where most of the heat comes from. I'm guessing you see some non-intercooled supercharged cars because they are operating at lower pressures in the 5-8psi range vs a turbo car that is often more like 15-20. Additionally, when you start operating outside of peak efficiency of a compressor you really start to add heat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As gas is compressed it becomes hotter and hotter, and if you don't have an intercooler setup on your supercharger then it'll get too hot and give you anything from loss of power to preignition and knocking.

At least, this is what I know affects LSJ's.

edit: Yeah, after 8lbs you need an intercooler or your intake temps are way too high and start to cause problems. The colder the air the better; more dense and rich in oxygen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e: I think I'm a dumbass and blind, rather.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 20, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Belt-driven superchargers like that don't tend to make the same amount of boost that turbochargers do and don't suffer from exhaust heat exposure. The charge temperature is higher than a NA engine but it's not so high that you can't just run higher octane fuel to compensate, or do water/meth injection.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Roots superchargers are very inefficient so heat is a big problem when they really start working. At low pressure differentials, they aren't that bad. A rotary is small enough that this relatively large supercharger might still be in one of the good efficiency islands--up to a 1.5 pressure ratio or ~7psi or so at moderate rpms is at the 75% island. Water or meth injection would certainly help.

Maybe it'll be the first rotary with torque.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So Toyota's new chairman said something last week about wanting to make a Supra again, and I was doing the math on the MKIV TT and realized it cost about 75k in today's dollars. I wonder how they'd package and price one today. It seems to me that 50kish would be the sweet spot, above the IS but not stratospheric. I can't think of any amazing 4 cylinders in Toyota's line up right now, but a turboed 2GR could maybe get them to 500 horse, or UR closer to 6. Of course, since the SC concept from last year is supposed to go into production, it could be that it fills the Supra shoes instead.

Too bad whatever comes won't look like the last one.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Taking the price of the base Camry in 1997 ($19,868) and the price of the base 2013 Camry ($23,030) we see about a 16% increase. If you adjust the price of the base 1997 Supra Turbo ($39,990) up 16%, it's $46,284.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

blk posted:

So Toyota's new chairman said something last week about wanting to make a Supra again, and I was doing the math on the MKIV TT and realized it cost about 75k in today's dollars. I wonder how they'd package and price one today. It seems to me that 50kish would be the sweet spot, above the IS but not stratospheric. I can't think of any amazing 4 cylinders in Toyota's line up right now, but a turboed 2GR could maybe get them to 500 horse, or UR closer to 6. Of course, since the SC concept from last year is supposed to go into production, it could be that it fills the Supra shoes instead.

Too bad whatever comes won't look like the last one.

I always wondered why they couldn't just take the 1GR, which is capable of easily making a healthy 320hp or so NA, mate it to the six speed manual as found in the IS250, and put it in a coupe body that doesn't suck too much. It isn't rocket science, nissan and hyundai have perfectly grasped this concept.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A 1997 Supra had about the same power as the contemporary Camaro Z28 with the LS1, even looked kind of similar, with T-tops and everything. Sure it was probably a better car is some ways but it was also 25% more expensive and they sold like death.

Nowadays a mid $50k will get you a Camaro ZL1, which is putting out 600hp and will run with 911s on the track. The Yen despite the recent devaluation is still significantly above where it was in 1997 which will make things even harder. However I think they can do it, they just have to take the same route as the Camaro and Challenger is taking. Use a full size RWD car platform as a basis, maybe the Crown or the Mark X, build them at the Tundra plant in Texas and use the Tundra engines, a V6, a V8 and a supercharged V8 range topper. The Supra today thanks to the F&F movies has the brand cachet it didn't have 15 years ago, it will sell in the numbers to make it economical, and that generation of buyers is starting to enter their high earning years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Throatwarbler posted:

The Supra today thanks to the F&F movies has the brand cachet it didn't have 15 years ago, it will sell in the numbers to make it economical, and that generation of buyers is starting to enter their high earning years.

loving :laffo:

It'd cost twice what the gt86 costs and have to sell at least as many. F&F fans don't buy ZR1s and Cayman, they buy civics and jettas.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 20, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cakefool posted:

loving :laffo:

It'd cost twice what the gt86 costs and have to sell at least as many. F&F fans don't buy ZR1s and Cayman, they buy civics and jettas.

I mean make a range of them from $30k to $60k, give the cheap one the base V6 engine just like the Mustang or Camaro.

A reminder that Toyota (not some aftermarket poo poo, actually Toyota) already sells a fully warranteed supercharger kit for the iron block 5.7l V8 that takes the power to 500hp, using the same supercharger as the ZL1/CTS-V. It's certainly a stout engine and would be good in a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb9MNYFwUFA

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wallaka posted:

Roots superchargers are very inefficient so heat is a big problem when they really start working. At low pressure differentials, they aren't that bad. A rotary is small enough that this relatively large supercharger might still be in one of the good efficiency islands--up to a 1.5 pressure ratio or ~7psi or so at moderate rpms is at the 75% island. Water or meth injection would certainly help.

Maybe it'll be the first rotary with torque.

Yeah, this is why Top Fuel and Funny Cars run excess fuel through the system. When you see one staging and it looks like vapor or smoke coming out of the exhaust, that's raw fuel. They don't run intercoolers and use extra nitromethane to cool the engine.

Thermodynamics don't give a gently caress what type of power adder you use, poo poo's gotta get hot when you make power.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Nitromethane is already a coolant, the extra at idle is because it's very inefficient until you can put some heat in to the combustion chamber.

(That is my experience with meth fueled four cylinders.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

McTinkerson posted:

Technically this could also go in the RADL thread, but it suits the spirit of this one better

I come to this forum to look at pretty cars, someone explain to a mechanical retard what's going on here. I'm seeing a rotary with a massive loving supercharger bolted onto it. How does that even work??

For content, something that I want very dearly:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

I come to this forum to look at pretty cars, someone explain to a mechanical retard what's going on here. I'm seeing a rotary with a massive loving supercharger bolted onto it. How does that even work??

Engine runs, engine spins supercharger, supercharger compresses air, more air enters combustion chamber, more fuel is added, more power is made.

I guess the reason you don't see more superchargers on rotaries is that they cause parasitic drag, which is murder on a low-torque engine, and because rotaries work over a large rev range.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Awesome, thank you! :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

(click for big)

Post Glowing Turbo/Headers Time!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The M62 SC on the LSJ pushes 12psi and uses a tiny intercooler pumper. Once you start adding smalley pullies it is prone to heatsoak so you can buy a bigger intercooler and either run it in tandum with the IC pump or bypass the IC pump directly.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

NitroSpazzz posted:

Post Glowing Turbo/Headers Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUWCo3lDjH8

1000 Horsepower XR6 Turbo motor glowing nicely

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I couldn't decide between this thread or the other one.

It's not really a horrible failure because I see it around all the time so it must be somewhat reliable.

On the other hand the bungie cord holding the gas tank on looks pretty safe:stare:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
After a long internal debate, I decided to post this here instead of the terrible thread, because it takes a bit of insanity to do this to a minivan, and it didn't look terrible.

Red brake drums matched the paint. Couldn't quite get them in the picture, but the tail lights were smoked like the front turn signals. No stupid stickers on the back either.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

1979 Mustang rally concept styled by Ghia

blk fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 22, 2013

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Instagram video link, this car is so beat up it's actually the coolest thing I've ever seen. Can anyone tell me what it is because I'm pretty sure I've found my dream car...?

http://instagram.com/p/a15kxeRxuB/?igref=ogexp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

88h88 posted:

Instagram video link, this car is so beat up it's actually the coolest thing I've ever seen. Can anyone tell me what it is because I'm pretty sure I've found my dream car...?

http://instagram.com/p/a15kxeRxuB/?igref=ogexp

I couldn't remember, but first hit for "concave rear window" got a winner:
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/time-to-unwrap-the-wrapped-car-unwrapped-virtually/

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wife and I have been in Maine the last week visiting a good friend of mine. He happens to race in a running rebels stock car class at a local paved circle track so my wife and I became his honorary pit crew. It's a '92 CRX chassis and body, engine, etc. Here's the owner and my wife:

Making some toe adjustments between practice sessions:

Here are most of the cars in his varsity class:

I'm not licensed for the track but I still went out for a few practice sessions with the JV group. It was a loving blast. It was the first time I ever 1. drove a stock car and 2. ever drove on a paved circle track.

Bonus utter destruction of one of the pickups in the truck series. It was so badly destroyed that we had to rally eight dudes to get the rear end up onto the trailer.

That was a really great experience.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Remember when that Edo Competition Ferrari Enzo crashed at the Targa Newfoundland a couple years ago?

It's been rebuilt, has apparently over 900HP now - I saw it today, and it's the goddamn meanest sounding mother loving car I have ever heard.

Ferrari Enzo ZXX by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 23, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Is that two pairs of shades? Owns.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Was on my way out to Minneapolis yesterday and came across this:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Feast your eyes upon the 1966 Volvo P1800. Single owner, original transmission and rear end, engine rebuilt twice.

Three million miles.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

This is absolutely the SR-71 of recreational vehicles.

kimbo305 posted:

Is that two pairs of shades? Owns.

You've never asked your girl to hold your shades? That circle track CRX looks like a poo poo ton of fun. Speaking of fun CRXes, I got to race with this guy once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-A9hIOPI

He also won that SPEED channel show "Setup."

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Stardotstar posted:

This is absolutely the SR-71 of recreational vehicles.

You've never asked your girl to hold your shades? That circle track CRX looks like a poo poo ton of fun. Speaking of fun CRXes, I got to race with this guy once:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-A9hIOPI

He also won that SPEED channel show "Setup."

That motherfucker can drive though. I gotta root for ITRs by default but the way he forced the ITR driver offline so he could pass was gorgeous. That was a pretty good dogfight in general too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Paul Boz, you guys drive up? You should stop by Mass for some goony car poo poo before heading back home.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
Saw this at a True Value Hardware today, never seen this Porsche before. Could I get an ID on it?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
928. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_928

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Coronet XX posted:

Saw this at a True Value Hardware today, never seen this Porsche before. Could I get an ID on it?

Looks like a 928.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coronet XX posted:

928. The most expensive regular production car (inflation corrected) ever made by Porsche, although this line is blurring a bit now with GT2/GT3s becoming kinda "regular."

They sound fantastic and are really comfortable. It's a bad rear end highway cruiser and can still move on the track and in the twisties.

This was rumored to have been initially designed as a 911 replacement. Obviously that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

928's also have pop-up lights and pop-up lights are awesome AI poo poo