Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

vas0line posted:

My boss wants a new laptop for MS Office, general web surfing, and a proprietary .net application. Can't be an Apple, unfortunately.
No real heavy lifting, and it will be plugged in most of its life on a desk.
I was thinking something like a refurbished Thinkpad T410. Anyone have any other recommendations under $600?
(I'm an Apple guy, so I don't really know what's out there these days!)

I would really aim for at least a Sandy Bridge CPU if I were you. You can get a base T430 under $600 new using the B&N link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Sendo posted:

Yeah that's a good point I didn't really consider it as a rMBP competitor, although those will probably get refreshed with a HD5000. However if it's priced in that area would it really be worth paying $400+ extra over the MBA/Sony Vaio Pro 13" when it's only real advantage is it's resolution (which isn't a huge selling point running Windows)

The Clevo machines are almost impossible to beat for performace/price but it comes at the expense of weight/size and battery life, if you're only going to be using it as a replacement desktop that gets moved occasionally then these things are not that much of a concern.

Assuming this is customisable like most Clevo resellers are you should be able to keep this drive and add a msata SSD, which you should definitely be considering.

No 8GB is fine, you can always upgrade it later easily enough.

These things are as thick as they are because of the extra cooling required, a friend has an Ivy Bridge version of a similar Clevo and hasn't had an issue.

It's not an IPS, the one I used seemed decent though at least I couldn't really notice anything wrong with it.

It is overkill for those games though, if they have one based off the Clevo W650SR with Haswell that might be worth a look as it's much lighter/thinner and would still play those games easily.

Thanks for the advice. Probably going to get this laptop and pick up a ~$60 60gb SSD and throw my OS, browser, and a game or two on it. Overkill works for me, as I have my eye on a few graphically intensive games coming out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

hooah posted:

Along those lines how practical is it to reformat the small SSD that comes in some of the ThinkPads and install Windows on it?
It's easy to do (takes about 5 minutes of setup and then 25-30 of it installing itself), but as everyone has said, there's really no point. If you want the extra space, stick with the default HDD and add in a mSATA drive so you can have both. Upgrading to a SSD from Lenovo is a waste of money.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

sports posted:

Hopefully the touchpad isn't something awful. Too bad it has a touch panel.

You don't have to touch it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/21/4445492/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-review

A laptop/tablet hybrid by Lenovo. Looks pretty solid, but this review seems to bash on it a bit for not being as stylish as a Macbook Air or Vaio (both of which are not hybrids fyi).

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I've been considering getting a new laptop for a while and now that Haswell is out I figure that stores will start discounting more of the older stuff.

The new Haswell models are out of my price range for now so I've been digging around Newegg for something that matches my uses, mostly some gaming and CPU intensive apps like Photoshop or some audio software. Portability and battery life isn't a huge concern since I'll always be using it near an outlet. I've found this laptop which seems to meet my requirements quite well, though it is right on the upper edge of the $750ish I would consider spending on a laptop computer.

Any suggestions or feedback on this model or should I just keep waiting?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Lblitzer posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/21/4445492/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-review

A laptop/tablet hybrid by Lenovo. Looks pretty solid, but this review seems to bash on it a bit for not being as stylish as a Macbook Air or Vaio (both of which are not hybrids fyi).

(I am a whore, and) I just got one today. Right now I've got 4h 13m remaining with 55% battery left, at full screen brightness. The keyboard is good (you might have worried about the 1.6mm stroke depth), the trackpad is good, trackpoint is good (you might see it and worry about lack of exclusive buttons, but no, that's not a problem at all), screen is good, digitizer may need some calibration out of the box. My only nitpick is that getting the trackpoint middle mouse click to behave like a middle mouse click, and not scrolling, requires editing some registry entries, which I haven't done yet.

It was much cheaper to get it from Amazon with 1 day shipping (and I am paying sales tax) than from the B & N gold portal.

Edit: The Verge is retarded, and if you ever meet anybody that works there, you should spill your drink on them. They call machines with 4:3 screens or 16:10 screens "outdated" and they talk about superficial aspects of the products they review because they're superficial people themselves.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 22, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I like how they manage to complain about the "tinny notebook-like sound" coming from a tablet, as if you can somehow stick in 4" woofers. Last time I checked desktops don't even come with speakers, and it's not like we've magically figured out how to hack physics to get Bose stereo sound out of a device obviously much smaller and thinner than one.

Please post pics of your Helix along with a follow up here one the "new shiny" has worn off a little bit. Those things sound like an absolute clusterfuck but you seem to like it so maybe it's worth looking at again, especially as the only Thinkpad under 15" with a 1080p screen, and the only Thinkpad with an IPS display besides the x230.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1

This laptop looks solid, any complaints you guys see? I just want a high res 13-14" laptop with an ips screen.

edit: and It won't be running Windows(or ubuntu) if you care.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

z06ck posted:

https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1

This laptop looks solid, any complaints you guys see? I just want a high res 13-14" laptop with an ips screen.

edit: and It won't be running Windows(or ubuntu) if you care.

That is a Clevo W740SU underneath, I believe. Given that it's a clevo, I'm unsure how well the build quality will hold up, but drat that thing looks impressive on paper (1080p matte + Iris Pro).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have an older Asus netbook that I love but it's getting up there. My father is looking for something to handle light internet use, youtube/netflix/etc. I think one of the asus netbooks would be great but I don't see anything in the OP about those. Cheap is good, but not some awful 1gb ram $250 special.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I have an older Asus netbook that I love but it's getting up there. My father is looking for something to handle light internet use, youtube/netflix/etc. I think one of the asus netbooks would be great but I don't see anything in the OP about those. Cheap is good, but not some awful 1gb ram $250 special.

You might have better luck in the netbook thread.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elendil004 posted:

Is he opposed to a tablet? I just got my mom a Nook HD+ to replace the netbook she never uses and she loves it. They're on sale for $149 now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brut posted:

Netbooks are such outlier cases these days we should probably just add a section to the OP and close down the netbook thread.

With Google docs + a Bluetooth keyboard you can replicate the functionality of a netbook with any tablet, although supposedly the $200 Nexus 7 is a screaming deal.

There's also a Google chromebook

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The Nexus 7 can't be beat for the price, assuming you're ok with a 7" screen. I don't know too many people who want to actually work on a 7" screen. It's fine for maps, movies, games, etc., but it's pretty damned small once you start talking about using it for word processing or the like. At $400 the Nexus 10 isn't nearly as cheap, but it's a very solid performer and still a good deal cheaper than the closest iPad.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Brut posted:

Oh didn't know we had one. I got my last netbook advice in this thread (the last version) my bad!

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Quick question:

I'm not going to buy this particular laptop, but I am floating the idea of a desktop replacement laptop. One of my considerations, is that my desktop has a massive 500W or 600W power supply in it, I can't recall which. I know it's not running at full load all the time, but when it is, that is a significant amount of power.

I can't find how much power a laptop such as this consumes:
http://tinyurl.com/khtp4fz

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

johnny sack posted:

Quick question:

I'm not going to buy this particular laptop, but I am floating the idea of a desktop replacement laptop. One of my considerations, is that my desktop has a massive 500W or 600W power supply in it, I can't recall which. I know it's not running at full load all the time, but when it is, that is a significant amount of power.

I can't find how much power a laptop such as this consumes:
http://tinyurl.com/khtp4fz

On the power accessories tab there is a 170watt AC adapter so probably not more than that.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

havenwaters posted:

On the power accessories tab there is a 170watt AC adapter so probably not more than that.

Awesome thanks, I didn't see that.

edit: that being said, there is some significant money to be saved in energy costs by using a desktop replacement, goddamn.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

johnny sack posted:

That being said the 170 watt version is for two 750m cards in sli. Otherwise it'd probably be close to 90 or 105 watts.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Pro to replace my dying NC-10. I'm mostly going to be using it for programming, running Linux/Unix, dual-booting OSX and Windows, and some Photoshop. I have been told to wait on getting an MBP because an update is coming soon, and I don't need it immediately anyway. I have some questions:

Is it possible to load Linux or Unix distributions like Ubuntu on the laptop, like you can with Windows laptops? (Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Can you still use Boot Camp, and if so will a copy of Windows 7 work?

Is the Retina display worth it, or should I stick with the non-Retina version?

Right now I'm leaning towards the 13-inch Retina MBP, which looks like a fair price to me at $1500. I know the specs themselves are likely to change in the near future, but will the price change too?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting about?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
What laptop has the nicest (understand that's subjective) screen? I am looking for a 15" screen that has great visuals. I think integrated video will do fine for my purposes (Counter-strike, Q3, and 1080p video).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

johnny sack posted:

edit: that being said, there is some significant money to be saved in energy costs by using a desktop replacement, goddamn.

You're desktop isn't constantly pulling 500W, FYI.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

voltron posted:

What laptop has the nicest (understand that's subjective) screen? I am looking for a 15" screen that has great visuals. I think integrated video will do fine for my purposes (Counter-strike, Q3, and 1080p video).

I can't think of any competition for the 15" Macbook Pro Retina at the moment. There's a bunch of good stuff in the 13" ultrabook range like the Acer UX31

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

johnny sack posted:

Not as much as you'd think, unless you never turn anything off. My whole desktop system (multiple HDDs, 7950, overclocked i5, etc) only draws around 350W under load, and idles at more like 100W. If you assume the laptop draws 150W at load and 50W idle, if you paid 30c/kWh (gently caress you, SoCal), ran it full-load for 4hrs/day and idled the other 20, you'd be spending $1.02/day on the desktop and $0.48/day on the laptop--a savings of about $200/yr. Now if you act like a normal human being and turn your poo poo off when you're not around, and you use it full-load for 4hrs and idle for 4hrs a day, that savings drops to $0.54 vs $0.24, or about $100/yr. If you're located somewhere that doesn't hate electricity, your savings will be even less.

tl;dr you're realistically not going to be saving more than $100 or so a year (unless you run your poo poo 24/7 like a retard), so don't buy a laptop for the power savings.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

voltron posted:

Do you have a price point in mind? The MBPr is obviously a beautiful machine, but quite expensive. The T530 w/1080 screen is pretty nice (not AS nice as the MBPr's), but costs less than half as much, and there are a bunch of IPS-toting laptops sitting somewhere in the middle.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrDork posted:

Not as much as you'd think, unless you never turn anything off. My whole desktop system (multiple HDDs, 7950, overclocked i5, etc) only draws around 350W under load, and idles at more like 100W.
Are you including monitors in this calculation? Mine use a bit over 100 watts each. Plus if you're running them during the summer, that heats up the room and your air conditioner has to work harder, using even more electricity.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AC units on a 95 degree day use about 1watt of energy to expel 3 watts of heat. A 100 watt display might produce 20 watts of heat so you're spending 7 additional watts of energy to keep the house temperature neutral.

This only counts south of the mason Dixie line. If you live by the Canadian border you may not even own an ac unit.

tl;dr your 100watt display actually uses 107 watts in the summer.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Are you including monitors in this calculation? Mine use a bit over 100 watts each. Plus if you're running them during the summer, that heats up the room and your air conditioner has to work harder, using even more electricity.
No, because what monitors you use varies wildly, and a lot of people looking for "desktop replacement" laptops end up using external monitors anyhow.

Unless your electricity costs 30c/kWh or more, you're unlikely to see enough electrical savings no matter how you cut it to really care about--and even at 30c/kWh and assuming an extra 200W for multiple monitors etc., you're still talking less than a WoW subscription's savings a month, even if you leave your poo poo on 24/7. Saving a few bucks is a nice side-effect, sure, but no one should be going into buying a desktop-replacement laptop thinking that they're going to save substantial money over the long-term by doing so.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think johnny sack is in Minnesota, and it gets hot as gently caress here, but electricity isn't that expensive, like half what you pay in California.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

DrDork posted:

... if you paid 30c/kWh (gently caress you, SoCal) ...

:stare:
I pay 7 cents/kWh in the Northwest.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

6.5 cents/kwh here in Dallas, TX

But we hate the environment and keep building coal power plants in our state to keep up with population growth/demand, so we don't have to import electricity from Washington and Nevada at inflated rates.

Washington exports ~70% of their electricity due to the multiple hydroelectric dams on the Columbia River (2nd only to the Mississippi River in terms of flow in North America)

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

FISHMANPET posted:

You're desktop isn't constantly pulling 500W, FYI.

Yea, I said this in my first post a few above the one you quoted. I understand that, but I am often running a video game and a video on 2 monitors, so I do draw a lot of power. I also understand that it would take a pretty powerful laptop to power two monitors, playing a full screen game with good graphics on one and a full screen video on the other.

All I'm saying is that there is a lot of power to potentially be saved.

And, yea, I would almost certainly have 2 monitors attached to whatever desktop replacement I bought. I don't think I will go that route, but it's just an interesting factor that I hadn't considered. The only reason I thought of it at all is that I bought 24 LED light bulbs to replace most of the lights in my house, and they use just a fraction of the power of some of the bulbs they are replacing. Like a laptop vs. desktop.

One of my monitors is a Dell LED that uses like 18W for a 24", the other is an older Samsung that uses 45W. These would be used equivalently either way.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think johnny sack is in Minnesota, and it gets hot as gently caress here, but electricity isn't that expensive, like half what you pay in California.

Yea it's really cheap here. 30c per KWh in CA, holy gently caress that's insane. I'd be going crazy anytime I saw a light/appliance/electronic turned on while not in use.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I need a laptop for school and gaming. I would say I'd have to lean towards a more affordable and powerful/durable laptop.

The price range is 1000 dollars. A windows machine. I'd rather have a single large (250-500 gig) SSD inside of it. I see a hard disk drive as a hindrance. Other than that I'd like something that can handle modern games without melting. I have no problem with bulk either. When I say affordable and powerful yet durable I'm talking about an affordable and powerful machine that's as reliable and dependable as it can get.

I would like to have this machine around for a while because I guess it's my college computer. My main computer until I build a desktop 4 years or so down the road.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

Just not this year..

The one I posted above is $849 with coupon code: USPY5720620

I have a hard time imagining you would find a more powerful machine under $1k. If you didn't like the hybrid drive that's in it, you could swap it for an SSD and still be under $1k.

edit: this one http://tinyurl.com/khtp4fz

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
How much more would I have to put into it to bump up another level?

what about 4th gen cores and DDR3L ram?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 23, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

voltron posted:

A good <$1000 option would be the 15" Vaio S, which has a 1920x1080 IPS screen starting at $830. The T530 with just the screen upgrade might be about the same, if you find the right discount.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

How much more would I have to put into it to bump up another level?

what about 4th gen cores and DDR3L ram?
The next real "level" is at roughly the $1500 range. 4th gen CPUs are slowly trickling in, but haven't been added to a lot of product lines yet. This is probably due at least in part to the fact that the real main-stream i5 Haswell chips are not available yet; right now most of the Haswell laptops you're seeing at i7 variants. So if you wanted a Haswell version of something with an i5 currently, you're probably going to have to wait another month or two.

DDR3L isn't a huge issue either way. It's a nice power-saving bonus if you have it, but it's not going to buy you much extra run-time, so it's no big deal to not have it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

So is this a case where I should just wait another couple of months for the next best poo poo to come out?

I think I would be able to go up to 1500. Exactly What kind of improvements would I see?

And to the former question about waiting... is it worth it to wait?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

So is this a case where I should just wait another couple of months for the next best poo poo to come out?

I think I would be able to go up to 1500. Exactly What kind of improvements would I see?

And to the former question about waiting... is it worth it to wait?

If you can go up to 1500, buy one of those new MacBook Airs. They have a huge battery life (and even if you install Windows the battery life won't take that much of a hit) and the integrated graphics don't suck.