Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I'm not sure how much crossover there is between this thread and Radio 4, but their sketch comedy show Sketchorama just featured the first reunion of the Absolutely crew in over 20 years. They're the third act, starting at around 12 minutes in, if you want to skip over some earnest and moderately funny younger comedians:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sjj11/Sketchorama_Series_2_Episode_4/

"Welcome to the annual Stoneybridge Council meeting, first one for twenty years, owing to... A Reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Mickolution posted:

I had the exact same experience when he was in Game of Thrones.

And also Merlin, playing the same sort of guy.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

One Swell Foop posted:

I'm not sure how much crossover there is between this thread and Radio 4, but their sketch comedy show Sketchorama just featured the first reunion of the Absolutely crew in over 20 years. They're the third act, starting at around 12 minutes in, if you want to skip over some earnest and moderately funny younger comedians:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sjj11/Sketchorama_Series_2_Episode_4/

"Welcome to the annual Stoneybridge Council meeting, first one for twenty years, owing to... A Reason."

Stoneybriiidge! Used to love my mum and dad's Absolutely videos when I was younger. Cheers, I usually don't bother with Sketchorama.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Absolutely is loving amazing, I would recommend it. Got the DVD box set a while ago, its amazing these guys were pioneers in the 90s redefinition of comedy.

Don and George are a personal favorite.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I don't know anyone else who watched Absolutely, but it's great. Don and George are definitely the best. GET TO FALKIRK

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

thehustler posted:

I work at UCLan in Preston, and we had Peter Salmon (runs BBC North, married to the actress Sarah Lancashire) come to talk to the Journalism students about how wonderful it'd be and why they should work there. The BBC had produced a video about the project, to be played to staff members from down South, to "introduce" the North of England.

It was embarrassing.

Lots of interviews and voxpops with typical Northern stereotypes, on the streets of Manchester and Salford, and they were doing things like holding faux roadsigns with "THE NORTH" printed on them and trying to explain what was good about up here.

If you have to do that, then something is wrong.

Having said all of this, MediaCity is a stonkingly good facility and everytime I go there for something I salivate over all of the swanky new kit and I want to push buttons.

so wait if you live in london is anything north of Birmingham virtually a foreign country to them? :psyduck: don't they get that its basically still England, its not even like wales or scotland where things are slightly a bit different. Its not like they are being told to work in the arse end of nowhere either.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
South of the river or outside the M25?

You might as well be on loving Mars mate.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ponce de Le0n posted:

so wait if you live in london is anything north of Birmingham virtually a foreign country to them? :psyduck: don't they get that its basically still England, its not even like wales or scotland where things are slightly a bit different. Its not like they are being told to work in the arse end of nowhere either.

The problem is that Manchester is a shithole.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The award for best Pointless answer goes to:

He was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas.

Answer: JR.

:newlol:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The award for best Pointless answer goes to:

He was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas.

Answer: JR.

:newlol:

:lol: that's brilliant. Though I'm sure that's exactly what the producers were hoping for with the phrasing of that question.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Also, wahey, another Mock the Weaek episode, another tranny joke.

Seriously, Milton Jones is consistently the funniest comedian whenever he's on the show, and he just sticks to wordplay; when are the rest gonna learn that you don't have to try to out-offend Frankie Boyle to be funny? :smith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

TinTower posted:

Also, wahey, another Mock the Weaek episode, another tranny joke.

Seriously, Milton Jones is consistently the funniest comedian whenever he's on the show, and he just sticks to wordplay; when are the rest gonna learn that you don't have to try to out-offend Frankie Boyle to be funny? :smith:

Milton Jones is what we need more of in mainstream BBC comedy. I'd be happy to watch one of his routines with any member of my family. He is just genuinely a funny guy, and don't need to resort to just trying to be as offensive as possible. Let's be honest, Frankie Boyle has that market sewn up. Just try to be funny by being funny, guys.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Milton's Radio Show programs on the other hand.

Lets say they are the radio equivalent of Miranda.

Edit: And I disagree. Mock the Week should be that, mocking. Frankie Boyle set the standard high and made himself a household name with his humor, which was needed to mock the politicans and celebs that are the main stories. Milton has his place, but not on MtW imo.

It's funnier to have C.S.M.C turn into 'Cameron Sucks Merkle's Cock' than Milton's 'Cameron Sees Magic Cows' monkey cheese blandness.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 21, 2013

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Lets say they are the radio equivalent of Miranda.
His TV pilot House Of Rooms was pretty good though. I think because it was actually written from scratch as a sitcom rather rather than the radio shows' "let's try to shoehorn all of milton's one-liners into some vague plot" approach.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like Milton Jones, but he should never be allowed near a panel show. At least Gary Delaney joined in with some off the cuff stuff rather than (very) occasionally coming out with a one-liner from his act that most closely fits the topic.

Of course they're all guilty of this, but for that type of comedian, it really sticks out.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The show's called Mock the Week, not Mock the Trannies and Queers.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

TinTower posted:

The show's called Mock the Week, not Mock the Trannies and Queers.

Exactly. People often defend transphobic etc. jokes as all being part of some kind of transgressive and offensive style of humor, but they fail to realize that all they're doing is reinforcing mainstream prejudices. Honestly, it's the opposite of transgressive; it's banal and old-fashioned in its hatefulness.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

happyhippy posted:

And I disagree. Mock the Week should be that, mocking. Frankie Boyle set the standard high and made himself a household name with his humor, which was needed to mock the politicans and celebs that are the main stories. Milton has his place, but not on MtW imo.

I think the problem with Mock The Week (and Frankie Boyle) is that it doesn't just mock politicians and celebs, but it tends to be quite mean spirited to more marginalised groups. It's particularly nasty to disabled folk and those who aren't heteronormative. The panels are almost always made up of straight white cis men, with the occasional cis woman or ethnic minority thrown in.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I think the problem with Mock The Week (and Frankie Boyle) is that it doesn't just mock politicians and celebs, but it tends to be quite mean spirited to more marginalised groups. It's particularly nasty to disabled folk and those who aren't heteronormative. The panels are almost always made up of straight white cis men, with the occasional cis woman or ethnic minority thrown in.

I don't want to defend MtW for what it is, I have gently caress all to do with it, but I binged though the whole series since the start during the last two weeks on night shift at work, so most of its entirety is still in my mind.

The show attacks everything, there are offensive Scottish jokes, Irish jokes, English jokes, Pope jokes, Priest jokes, Peado jokes, pretending to be paedo jokes, etc.
Where's the outrage for those?

To be honest I haven't seen tonight's show yet, so I don't know what the offending joke was or what context it was said in. But unless its on the lines of 'it's an abomination, shouldnt be allowed, we should stop this' type joke, suck it up and welcome to the normality of being a random topic for comedians.
Of course I'll stand corrected if its the former.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

SpaceGodzilla posted:

Honestly, it's the opposite of transgressive.

So it's cisgressive? :v:

e: And it's not just us; even a former panellist hates the show now. The difference between the trans/gay jokes and Irish and Scottish jokes is that the latter are often done by the Irish or Scottish cast (see: any show with Ed Byrne on, where he and Dara play off Irish stereotypes). If you've seen any of Stephen K Amos's work, you'll know what I mean. His gay or black jokes are funny because he's a gay black man. If that came from Frankie Boyle, people would recognise how mean-spirited it is (not that Boyle would make them; he actually does know how to balance offensiveness with humour more than most of the MTW cadre).

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 21, 2013

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I don't want to defend MtW for what it is, I have gently caress all to do with it, but I binged though the whole series since the start during the last two weeks on night shift at work, so most of its entirety is still in my mind.

The show attacks everything, there are offensive Scottish jokes, Irish jokes, English jokes, Pope jokes, Priest jokes, Peado jokes, pretending to be paedo jokes, etc.
Where's the outrage for those?

To be honest I haven't seen tonight's show yet, so I don't know what the offending joke was or what context it was said in. But unless its on the lines of 'it's an abomination, shouldnt be allowed, we should stop this' type joke, suck it up and welcome to the normality of being a random topic for comedians.
Of course I'll stand corrected if its the former.

The joke was along the lines of "I had a one night stand once, I apologised for not being able to have an erection. She said "It's fine, I used to have that problem too." Someone being transgender was a punchline, as if it is something totally hilarious to not be cissexual.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The joke was along the lines of "I had a one night stand once, I apologised for not being able to have an erection. She said "It's fine, I used to have that problem too." Someone being transgender was a punchline, as if it is something totally hilarious to not be cissexual.

That's tame as poo poo.
The best one of those is from Hugh Dennis. "I have been saving up for a sex change. I don't care what my wife says, she is going to have it!"

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

as if it is something totally hilarious to not be cissexual.
This is where you started projecting. The joke is that something was revealed at the end of a sentence which the audience was not expecting. That's a classic one-liner formula.

The actual reason to be offended by that joke is that it's terrible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How have none of you linked Lee's Mock the Weak routine yet. Jesus.
Also Henning Wehn was on Would I Lie to You and he's apparently half-hammerhead shark.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Also Henning Wehn was on Would I Lie to You and he's apparently half-hammerhead shark.

I can't seem to find it on YouTube, so... :effort:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

For a show that's been going on for quite a while now, WILTY still surprises me with how much it makes me laugh out loud each week. Bob Mortimer last week and Wehn's story this week.....

As soon as they got Rob Brydon in, they struck gold. And that's coming from someone who absolutely loving despises Lee Mack.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 22, 2013

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Oh, you guys. You're going to love the new McDonald's advert. It's an old white man and a young black man exchanging happy glances as they both do the same thing with their fries. McDonald's brings us together, guys! McDonald's isn't just flogging junk food, they are tackling issues and healing divisions in our society :keke:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I saw a car advert where it promised me that life would be cool, exciting and less lonely if I bought that car, but I'm pretty sure it'd be about the same. I also saw a toothpaste advert, and I'm pretty sure that was just an actor pretending to be a dentist.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I saw a car advert where it promised me that life would be cool, exciting and less lonely if I bought that car, but I'm pretty sure it'd be about the same. I also saw a toothpaste advert, and I'm pretty sure that was just an actor pretending to be a dentist.

But the super fun happy times relive your youth car and the clever science white coat boffin dentist aren't HEALING BROKEN BRITAIN like McDonald's is by tirelessly flogging us all that colon clogging gunk each and every day!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

sex pervert posted:

Oh, you guys. You're going to love the new McDonald's advert. It's an old white man and a young black man exchanging happy glances as they both do the same thing with their fries. McDonald's brings us together, guys! McDonald's isn't just flogging junk food, they are tackling issues and healing divisions in our society :keke:

That advert is bullshit. First: christ it's poo poo, second: who puts them in the lid then eats them one at a time? You take three or four then dunk em in the little paper cup of ketchup.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I also saw a toothpaste advert, and I'm pretty sure that was just an actor pretending to be a dentist.

Was (s)he at a Dutch angle?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
You mean you actually eat McDonalds?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
The right thing to do with McDonalds fries is dip them in a McFlurry.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The right thing to do with McDonalds fries is dip them in a McFlurry.

American sleeper agent spotted.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am convinced that everyone just ignores advertisements and goes to do something or toy around with their phone except the people who commission them themselves, they have a shelf full of DVDs of what they convince as their greatest hits.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

onoflalks posted:

That advert is bullshit. First: christ it's poo poo, second: who puts them in the lid then eats them one at a time? You take three or four then dunk em in the little paper cup of ketchup.

Rookie error mate BBQ sauce

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Rarity posted:

I have one of each, BBQ is chip exclusive and the ketchup is general purpose

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

You're all wrong. The only appropriate condiment for a skinny chip is garlic mayonnaise. This is what the inventors of the chip, the Belgians, eat them with. It is the dip of the gods.

I'm watching original flavour Wallander on BBC 4 just now. So much more hosed up than the Kenneth Branagh version. The Swedes are weird. Bet they eat their chips with fermented cod sperm or something.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Mayo doesn't belong on chips. :colbert:

Is Rolf Lassgård a good Wallander? Better than Krister Henricksson?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Finally binged through Dates.

Is that really how they think teenagers speak? That was painfully "quirky"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

onoflalks posted:

Mayo doesn't belong on chips. :colbert:

Is Rolf Lassgård a good Wallander? Better than Krister Henricksson?

He's decent, yeah. Lassgård has the look of the character more than Henricksson, fat, shambling, monumentally unhealthy and steeped in misery, but I think Henricksson gets across more of the internal thought processes of the character, his obsessive, complicated nature, his relationship with his family, that sort of thing.

And of course, no matter what version you watch, you come away with an all-pervading sense of melancholia and the need to triple-lock your front door to guard against serial killers.

I need to watch something happy and mindlessly fluffy now.