Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Baloogan posted:

This isn't a photoshop; and it isn't an optical illusion.

That carrier is the Yorktown II. The first round of Essex class carriers, along with the Lexington class, were built to go just as fast in reverse as they could go forward, so that while going in reverse they could actually build up enough speed to launch and recover planes. The idea was to have forward and aft arresting gear so that if either side's gear were destroyed in combat, they could still conduct flight ops. In practice, they were found to be cumbersome, and the bow arresting gear was removed in refits.

The plane is a TBF Avenger torpedo bomber. The picture is from shakedown exercises off Hawaii in July 1943.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

grover posted:

No, he's using it correctly. F4U was better. :colbert:

Agreeing with grover on this, from my extensive scientific research playing Aces Of The Pacific.

I mean the P-38 was cooler but it never really got the crazy high-HP engines the later radial planes got

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

See, here's an example of using it incorrectly.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

CommieGIR posted:

Or OV-10

Now with chain gun turret and rockets!

Dong plane best plane.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

grover posted:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Sooo loving sexy :fap:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Koesj posted:

It'd be second best coming up against a Sidewinder-armed Super Tucano :colbert:

Well that surely is an unfair comparison

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

The chemlights are for the after-range rave and you're rolling super hard.

Opsec bro, holy poo poo. First they took my spice, now they're coming for my designer molly.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

Painted below the canopy of a retired F-16 the AF dragged out to Dayton Air Show today. It's not the same without the big gray birds around; the airport authority actually had a bunch of ground support equipment (including a snowplow) on display near the entrance, as if to make up for the lack of everything that's usually there.

But don't worry, we need those F-35's!

VVV I didn't see it, thankfully. I did photograph the aircraft that crashed while it was being towed on the ground, though, which is a weird feeling.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 22, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Dayton Air Show also had a pilot ram himself and a wingwalker into the ground today.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fallom posted:

The Dayton Air Show also had a pilot ram himself and a wingwalker into the ground today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G9SuEufFDs

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

goddamn :stare:

From my totally uneducated view, looks like it yawed left right into the ground. Too much/accidental rudder input?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Looked to me like he lost elevator control.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I'm just glad air shows in America can't fly over the crowds. :stare:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Oh my god.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
SITTING ON TOP OF THE WORLD!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gohuskies posted:

That carrier is the Yorktown II. The first round of Essex class carriers, along with the Lexington class, were built to go just as fast in reverse as they could go forward, so that while going in reverse they could actually build up enough speed to launch and recover planes. The idea was to have forward and aft arresting gear so that if either side's gear were destroyed in combat, they could still conduct flight ops. In practice, they were found to be cumbersome, and the bow arresting gear was removed in refits.

The plane is a TBF Avenger torpedo bomber. The picture is from shakedown exercises off Hawaii in July 1943.

This man here knows his carriers.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

Godholio posted:

Looked to me like he lost elevator control.

Wingtip stalled.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Most gorgeous F4 evar:

F4-U by Phanatic, on Flickr

Corsair by Phanatic, on Flickr

Slackasses by Phanatic, on Flickr

Bonus SB2C:

SB2C by Phanatic, on Flickr

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

NWS

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I know as a lowly civilian I'm not really in a position to talk, but why are people fixing bayonets here? Is this actually a thing done by people these days? I seem to recall all the people from combat units talking about how bayonets are never actually used; is this an indication that the people in the photo are NG/Reserves or something?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know as a lowly civilian I'm not really in a position to talk, but why are people fixing bayonets here? Is this actually a thing done by people these days? I seem to recall all the people from combat units talking about how bayonets are never actually used; is this an indication that the people in the photo are NG/Reserves or something?

They are Marines, so :iiam:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Carteret posted:

Cursory googling seems to indicate that Marines fix bayonets any drat chance they get.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Because Marines. The following story is totally anecdotal, but I 90% believe it based on the source.
This guy was in an observation post overlooking part of Fallujah the day one of the major Phantom Fury offensives was going to kick off. He scopes out the insurgent side, and most of the fighters he can see have stopped to prostrate themselves for the sunset prayer. He looks over at the Marine lines, where riflemen are sharpening & affixing bayonets, and using their camo paint kits to draw skulls on their faces. The evening air carries him the distinctive strains of Drowning Pool. H-hour comes and goes, and minutes after the first casualty reports begin to filter in. The first half-dozen or so? Guys who tripped and fell, either landing on their own bayonets or stabbing the guy in front of them in the stack.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

LimburgLimbo posted:

Carteret posted:

hailthefish posted:

Cursory googling seems to indicate that Marines fix bayonets any drat chance they get.

In my MARINE CORPS EXPERIENCE the first thing you do upon arriving in Iraq or Afghanistan is collect up all of the bayonets into a sea bag, throw a lock on it, and forget about them until you land back in the USA and have to get accountability for gear.

edit: With that said, those are forest-themed interceptors so that's probably from '03 or '04 . Before my time.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I was gonna say OIF 1 because of the Woodland, but didn't want to sound retarded. Also doubted myself because it looks like they are wearing ACH's. Turns out, they are LWH's. late 2004 and up. CLOSE ENOUGH.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I heard a rumor bayonet training has been dropped from basic. T/F?

And also that USMC officers are expected to buy swords, but never trained to use them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

grover posted:

And also that USMC officers are expected to buy swords, but never trained to use them.

I know the first one is false, new-ish recruits out here still talk about bayonet and pugil stuff.

And the second one seems like it's true and it's kind of disappointing. Manual of arms for swords looks cool as poo poo.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

grover posted:

I thought it was that the Army stopped bayone training, but the Marines kept it because blood makes the grass grow green oorah semper fi et cetera

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

grover posted:

This is true. Other services have their own swords (well, the AF officer saber is actually the same as the Army's, even though nobody knows it) but don't bother even mentioning it outside honor guard stuff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm pretty sure that dress uniform swords aren't at all capable of being used in actual combat without breaking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'd really like one that would be combat ready.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wasabi the J posted:

This seems applicable to this conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dg3Us9ld2g

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

System Metternich posted:

Training bikes on a viewing platforms in the Golan heights. Apparently tourists love to visit the former Israeli bunker (left; the soldier is just a dummy) and then work out for a bit. On the right you can see far into Syria; the smoke comes from the fighting.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Apparently we (Danish army) might be going to the Golan heights sometime soon now that the Austrians are pulling out. :iiam:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

-Anders posted:

Apparently we (Danish army) might be going to the Golan heights sometime soon now that the Austrians are pulling out. :iiam:

Take pictures? :ms:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Wasabi the J posted:

Awful idea. The only times I've used my sword were in sword arches at friends' weddings and we are all so ungamely with them that we'd have killed ourselves if those fuckers were sharp

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm pretty sure that dress uniform swords aren't at all capable of being used in actual combat without breaking.

The Model 1902 (army officer saber) was designed as the combat replacement for the Model 1860 (which was considered a poor design for cavalry), so as long as they're still manufactured properly they should be fine. I know Marlow White uses quality steel, but I've never seen one of theirs disassembled...I'd like to think they're not cheap fucks and producing swords with rat-tail tangs.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Wasabi the J posted:

I know the first one is false, new-ish recruits out here still talk about bayonet and pugil stuff.

And the second one seems like it's true and it's kind of disappointing. Manual of arms for swords looks cool as poo poo.

I can confirm that there is NO bayonet training in BCT, at least at Ft. Jackson. I finished BCT in January, and although we did pugil sticks, it was just "beat the poo poo out of the other guy until we stay stop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ziji posted:

I can confirm that there is NO bayonet training in BCT, at least at Ft. Jackson. I finished BCT in January, and although we did pugil sticks, it was just "beat the poo poo out of the other guy until we stay stop."

Bayonet training Tl;dr:

Put it on the shooty end of your rifle. Stab them with the pointy bit.

• Locked thread