Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Black Sabbath's new album topped the Billboard charts.

I think this might be the first time I've ever seen a doom metal album top Billboard.

As for 13, it's certainly not a bad album. Way better than I was expecting it to be.

It's nowhere near Master of Reality, but still worth listening to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Holy poo poo, Thou has a cover of my favorite song from Nirvana, Something in the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxXHbvbqno

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Palms is sounding pretty drat cool, actually. I'm not a Deftones fan by a long shot, but I do think Chino fits in nicely. All three of the songs out there sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZntL_JEyz4

Palms would be better if Michael Gallagher was with them. As well as Aaron Turner. :smith:

I've been waiting for so long to finally hear this and I loving love it

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Silver Brushes posted:

It was surprisingly solid, and Damaged Soul was straight up Goatsnake. :stare: But yeah, it's definitely a step up from Forbidden. Not that Forbidden is something aspire to

As much as I'm enjoying it all I do wish the whole album was 9-10 tracks of about 5 minutes long each that all sounded like Damaged Soul.

And with Zeitgeist in there somewhere because that song owns, Planet Caravan Part 2 or whatever, who cares.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

casual poster posted:

Holy poo poo, Thou has a cover of my favorite song from Nirvana, Something in the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxXHbvbqno

They've also got a cover of 4th of July.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPFem5Wix4

And two of the songs on Archer and the Owle are Pygmy Lush covers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqFChQG12Aw

gently caress, Thou owns so hard. I wish they'd would just go ahead and release Heathen already. And that collaborative album they're doing with The Body.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Roasted Donut posted:

It sounds exactly like what is on the box but it's not grabbing me yet. Dunno why I'm a little disappointed but I'm hoping it grows.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Wow, this is great. I really wish they'd be able to do a tour and come to NJ, they don't make enough money though :[ I need to buy some Thou records instead of from their free site.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So I'm terrible at keeping up with music, and even more terrible at keeping up with the local scene, but I saw a local Calgary band last night that blew me away. It's a two man power duo that's just a bass/vocals guy and a drummer channelling Clutch and playing the fuzziest catchy riffs that make you wonder why the gently caress anyone needs a guitar. They were called HighKicks. Anyways here's their bandcamp streaming their début album. http://highkicks.bandcamp.com/album/highkicks-self-titled

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Does anyone know if Grey (the ones who did Sisters Of The Wyrd) are working on a follow-up? SotW was on the verge of being interesting, it just needed more than one song structure. Wouldn't mind picking up their next effort, as long as it's not more of the same without any improvement.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

And this all leads to me listening to the Atlas Moth cover album again. I'm a sucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8X5JJHtsNU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Mouth of the Architect is out. Listening on Spotify.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Henchman of Santa posted:

The new Mouth of the Architect is out. Listening on Spotify.

I was just looking for something new to get on Spotify! I think I've maybe done Earth 2 enough today. (bit weird how you can't find Earth on there without typing in a song/album name...)

I'd definitely like to find more drone along the lines of Earth 2 though, as opposed to most Sunn-inspired drone/doom bands which in my experience mostly go the straight up evil/dark/horrifying sound rather than (in my opinion) a more meditative doom/drone sound. Though I'm doubtful that LP will ever be topped in the genre.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

ChickenArise posted:

And this all leads to me listening to the Atlas Moth cover album again. I'm a sucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8X5JJHtsNU

This is really awesome, can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
If you liked Beastwars, and you're still hungry for more riff, I would strongly suggest listening to PYRES. Riffy, sludgy goodness. The digital download should be available here soon, and is also the place to order if you're in Canada. Granite House Records is the place to go for international orders, and I believe if you check Granite House's facebook, you can get a discount code for shipping outside of the US. I never managed to finish streaming the whole thing, but from what I did get to listen to, it sounds very promising, and I think a lot of people here will like it. The caramel coloured vinyl looks amazing too.

e: And for those interested in more miserable doom, CVLTnation are streaming Lycus' debut full length here. I haven't had a chance to listen yet myself, but if their demo is anything to go by, this should be very good. All in all it has been a good day for doom.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 3, 2013

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Does anybody still listen to 90's style doom/death?

After a long time listening almost exclusively to the stoner/sludge varieties of doom, I got a strange urge the other day to get some new doom/death. I'm treating it with Bilocate(a band from Jordan... they'll be one of the opening acts for Orphaned Land in Europe. Pretty good stuff), but I don't really know of many bands that play this style of doom anymore. Suggestions?

What everyone else has already said, plus Mourning Beloveth (I suspect those guys think 1993 was the best year in the history of years).

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

nomapple posted:

If you liked Beastwars, and you're still hungry for more riff, I would strongly suggest listening to PYRES.

I freaking loved the Beastwars album, Blood Becomes Fire. I'm only halfway through the Pyres stream and already seriously considering pre-ordering the vinyl/shirt combo. Thanks for this!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I freaking loved the Beastwars album, Blood Becomes Fire. I'm only halfway through the Pyres stream and already seriously considering pre-ordering the vinyl/shirt combo. Thanks for this!

Yeah man, getting the caramel/black swirl Pyres vinyl almost makes up for sleeping on the red/yellow version of Blood Becomes Fire. Gonna have another listen in a bit, because soundcloud was playing up like crazy yesterday. Too many good streams appeared.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Groke posted:

What everyone else has already said, plus Mourning Beloveth (I suspect those guys think 1993 was the best year in the history of years).

A friend of mine turned me onto these guys a while back by telling me to listen to the song Dead Channel. I listened to that song on repeat for I think about 3 weeks.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Groke posted:

Hulk Krogan posted:

A friend of mine turned me onto these guys a while back by telling me to listen to the song Dead Channel. I listened to that song on repeat for I think about 3 weeks.

Oh, hey, I'd forgotten about them. I remember I bought A Murderous Circus as soon as it came out, back in 2005, but I never thought too much about them. I see they're still active, gonna check out their recent stuff.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I saw a great show at the Rickshaw on Vancouver on the weekend. My old pals Black Wizard have a new album out, and this was the official release. They've been doing a lot more guitararmonies now that Kenny from Anciients is in the band, and these parts mesh well with their sludgier riffs. I'm especially fond of break on the track "Midnight," it's almost classical-sounding.

I've seen Tobeatic and Hoopsnake before, and they were excellent as usual. Hoopsnake in particular were really tight, and showed off a couple new songs with some interesting time signature shifts. Wiser Fool opened the show, and I was pleasantly surprised by their set. They play solid, swinging stoner rock in the vein of the Sword, and should appeal to a lot of you.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Bongripper put on a real, real good show tonight. Well worth the drive down from MKE

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Juaguocio posted:

My old pals Black Wizard have a new album out, and this was the official release.

Welp.. there goes another :10bux:. Fortunately, after listening to the digital download a lot, it's totally worth it.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Possibly in the wrong thread, but figured you might enjoy it (plus this is the only thread I really follow in NMD) ... and apologies for the crappy phone pictures, but ...

It's a beautiful thing ...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Roasted Donut posted:

Seeing this post reminded me about checking the local venues to see if Palms is playing anytime soon. They're playing the troubadour this week and it sold out. Happy birthday to me. :smith:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Oh, hey, I'd forgotten about them. I remember I bought A Murderous Circus as soon as it came out, back in 2005, but I never thought too much about them. I see they're still active, gonna check out their recent stuff.

It's one of those bands I'll listen to almost obsessively for a few weeks, then forget about for up to several years before repeating the cycle. I guess they only scratch one particular itch but they do scratch it very well.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
The Wizar'd have got a few tracks from their new effort up. Really solid album.

Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge
The Moss that Grew on the Sorcerer's Grave
Long Ride Home

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Does anybody still listen to 90's style doom/death?

After a long time listening almost exclusively to the stoner/sludge varieties of doom, I got a strange urge the other day to get some new doom/death. I'm treating it with Bilocate(a band from Jordan... they'll be one of the opening acts for Orphaned Land in Europe. Pretty good stuff), but I don't really know of many bands that play this style of doom anymore. Suggestions?

If you're still looking for this style of music, I really like the new Lycus album. Highly recommended.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

landofcake posted:

Possibly in the wrong thread, but figured you might enjoy it (plus this is the only thread I really follow in NMD) ... and apologies for the crappy phone pictures, but ...

It's a beautiful thing ...

:2bong:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

I bought it prior to owning a record player. Or a cassette player...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oil! posted:

I bought it prior to owning a record player. Or a cassette player...

If you still don't have a record player, get one now. The bass tone on the Dopesmoker reissue is totally unparalleled.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
The problem is that once you get a record player, if you're anything like me, you start eyeing up ludicrously expensive vinyls like this:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Just have to say that Bell Witch's debut album, Longing, is pretty great.

First three tracks are drawn-out and nicely heavy, then the fourth track takes a looong sample of Vincent Price from Masque of the Red Death and plays alongside it before closing it out with the fifth track and an outro. One of the few doom albums I've picked up lately that I actually bothered turning the lights off for listening.

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010
Had a friend tell me about a band called Black Cowgirl. Pretty good. Not their best song but I really dig em. Some of their songs sound like if Torche and The Sword had a blues baby. I really like their song Alkaline but can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2JP_JoweGo

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hoekie posted:

Had a friend tell me about a band called Black Cowgirl. Pretty good. Not their best song but I really dig em. Some of their songs sound like if Torche and The Sword had a blues baby. I really like their song Alkaline but can't find it.

Kinda getting Blue Record era Baroness of that track, nice.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hoekie posted:

Alkaline is on Spotify - See if this works:

http://open.spotify.com/track/2sz4dxLgwgCIkfRl54mgXO

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just discovered Shroud Eater :dance:

It makes me think of a sludgier Kylesa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df9-jpkRYQM

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Holy gently caress, I want this shirt so badly. I've always thought the Bongripper goat looked badass and a shirt like that would be killer. Anyone know where I can get one? I've searched high and low across the internet but no luck so far.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Gushing Granny posted:

Holy gently caress, I want this shirt so badly. I've always thought the Bongripper goat looked badass and a shirt like that would be killer. Anyone know where I can get one? I've searched high and low across the internet but no luck so far.

I had the chance to get one when I saw them, but decided to get a kickass Conan shirt instead! Man, that was a good night.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Gushing Granny posted:

If you find one it won't be from the band. That shirt has been sold out for a while, and they just recently printed some new shirts, but not that design. You could try eBay or something but your odds are pretty low.

I'm lucky, I got one about a year ago online before they sold out, except with this font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Gushing Granny posted:

gently caress you. I really want that shirt now.