Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love Reimu's obviously rehearsed speech on why getting completely smashed is an important religious duty.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I've hopped back on, let me know if it's not working for you still.

Greatly appreciated. It's almost done now. :)

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

I really shouldn't be surprised given how little most Touhou fans seem to care about actual media created by ZUN, but I still cannot help but be really disappointed they cannot even be bothered to care about the official mangas more than I dunno, adult men pretending to be animu girls in some weird-rear end pseudo-biographical works and other crap like that.

MUH FANON/IMAGINARY BULLSHIT I BUILT FOR LITTLE GIRLS, et cetera. It's kinda weird, given how popular Kasen got.

The language/engine ZUN uses for Touhou is pretty interesting...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's just C++ man.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Touhou music download done. Now to sort through the stuff and delete duplicates on iTunes...

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a cartoon duck posted:

I really shouldn't be surprised given how little most Touhou fans seem to care about actual media created by ZUN, but I still cannot help but be really disappointed they cannot even be bothered to care about the official mangas more than I dunno, adult men pretending to be animu girls in some weird-rear end pseudo-biographical works and other crap like that.
Do you honestly think the general otaku population cares about the story and lore of a series with a nearly all-female cast? Let's be honest here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Takoluka posted:

Do you honestly think the general otaku population cares about the story and lore of a series with a nearly all-female cast? Let's be honest here.

Well, even so, you'd think they'd want to read stories about cute girls snarking at each other and getting drunk.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Well, even so, you'd think they'd want to read stories about cute girls snarking at each other and getting drunk.

Not enough emo Alice, not enough psycho Flandre, and not enough sex between them. Not worth the time, clearly.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Clarste posted:

Or feeding squirrel-like forest animals alcohol. I only wish they added more details for that. :v:

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
It does suck that the stories don't get a lot of love because they are genuinely interesting, even if ZUN doesn't take his silly series seriously he at least tries to make decent stories. But it's not like he can just force every fan to read them, so I'm glad there are enough people who care enough to buy and/or translate these things. There really isn't much you can do besides complaining about it and then ignoring it.

This also makes me wonder how many people are fans but have never even touched a single game. It's not a big deal or anything, but I'm sure it's not a small number.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Technically, writing the manga is ZUN's job now. That's where his income comes from, and according to his tweets he spends most of his time in and out of meetings with the artists and his editors. At some point a few years ago, he quit his job as a programmer and became a full time Touhou writer. And he also composes music and makes games in his spare time.

Just a weird thought.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Fighting Falken posted:

This also makes me wonder how many people are fans but have never even touched a single game. It's not a big deal or anything, but I'm sure it's not a small number.

I'd imagine number is pretty high, at least in Japan where the PC is a niche gaming platform. The amount of players would probably explode if ZUN released the games on consoles/smartphones. Too bad there aren't any popular ones that mesh with his self-published physical media philosophy. I'd love to be able to play Touhou on my phone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

Technically, writing the manga is ZUN's job now. That's where his income comes from, and according to his tweets he spends most of his time in and out of meetings with the artists and his editors. At some point a few years ago, he quit his job as a programmer and became a full time Touhou writer. And he also composes music and makes games in his spare time.

Just a weird thought.

Wait, ZUN quit his non-Touhou related job that he mentioned he was early his first day for? (I don't think it was programming anyway)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Wait, ZUN quit his non-Touhou related job that he mentioned he was early his first day for? (I don't think it was programming anyway)

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to, but yes, he has no day job other than writing Touhou now.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It must be bizarre for your day job being to do supplementary material for the franchise you're doing in your free time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Well obviously the games are the supplemental material now.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
How about some South American folk-style arrangements?

http://zephyr.halfmoon.jp/jersey/TPCH/

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 21, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

leather fedora posted:

How about some South American folk-style arrangements?

http://zephyr.halfmoon.jp/jersey/TPCH/
Funny, I didn't know the recorder was a folk instrument.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Funny, I didn't know the recorder was a folk instrument.

Anything becomes a folk instrument if you wait long enough.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
They're all over the place in Japan since they make everyone play it in elementary school, so understandably they are a little biased.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

We learn the recorder in elementary school in Germany too, only what we do is forget they exist once we leave elementary school because really now, nobody likes recorders.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Same in the UK, I think I remember using one for like the first two years of secondary school too I guess, but recorders aren't a grown-up's instrument.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
i don't think I've ever heard a recorder after elementary school besides the occasional piece of anime/touhou-music.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Except that's a pan flute which is why it don't sound like rear end.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hey Touhougoons!

Today is "Red Day" in Gensokyo... Or so Flandre has declared.

I was inspired by Jack Nicholson doing his crazy stare in The Shining.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, after playing a bit of Hopeless Masquerade, I can safely say that Miko is pretty fun. Though to be honest, she's kind of hard to actually do well with. I might pickup Byakuren or somebody else in the meantime. Maybe Koishi, though I'm not sure how well I'd actually be able to play her.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Well, after playing a bit of Hopeless Masquerade, I can safely say that Miko is pretty fun. Though to be honest, she's kind of hard to actually do well with. I might pickup Byakuren or somebody else in the meantime. Maybe Koishi, though I'm not sure how well I'd actually be able to play her.

Koishi is really confusing for me(as she should be). Half of the time I have no idea what button presses prompted what attack, and I'm still not sure on how to trigger most of them, but nonetheless it can pretty fun and it's really unique.

Just remember that your playstyle is radically altered by what deck you're using. Buddhist Byakuren is pretty much all melee whereas Taoist Byakuren gives her more long range options. Your moves really change a lot between decks, it's pretty interesting to mix and match to find what you like.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

DrSunshine posted:

Hey Touhougoons!

Today is "Red Day" in Gensokyo... Or so Flandre has declared.

I was inspired by Jack Nicholson doing his crazy stare in The Shining.

Yeeeeesss, more DrSunshine Touhous :D

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Byakuren's probably one of the hardest characters in the game to play (though tbh this isn't saying much) just because you have to work with her stances. Miko on the other hand is really easy to use, what are you having trouble with?

As for Koishi, her gimmick is that she won't use her attacks until certain conditions are met. Once you do the appropriate input, an invisible timer starts up; you can see it on the bottom in the form of flashing icons (which incidentally also tell you what kind of attack you've cued up). After like two seconds Koishi will automatically use the attack once she gets in range for it to hit, and after about ten (or however long it takes for the icon to stop flashing) she'll just use the attack no matter where she is. The easiest way to use Koishi is to cue up the move of your choice then autocombo the other guy.

The exceptions to this are her teleport, trailing laser, and rose circle attacks. Those will work like any other character's skill.

HGH posted:

Your moves really change a lot between decks, it's pretty interesting to mix and match to find what you like.

Eh. Most characters have only one religion (Buddhism) that'll actually help them, with the rest being gimmicky at best. HM not exactly being a zoning-friendly game doesn't help Taoism and Shintoism's cases!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 22, 2013

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, my main issue is that I play rather defensively, so I tend to have issues getting my cape levels up and keeping them up. I'm not so good at rushdown. I prefer fighting in mid-range, not doing keep away, but not getting up in people's faces either.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I recommend playing Futo then.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I... actually haven't really played her all that much, yet. I'll have to see what I can do with her, thanks for the suggestion.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yo Byakuren is far and away the best character in Hopeless Masquerade, you should learn her.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

I'm not so good at rushdown. I prefer fighting in mid-range, not doing keep away, but not getting up in people's faces either.

Byakuren would be the worst possible character for him.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If nothing else I will always appreciate Ichirin and Unzan going all oraoraoraora in classic JoJo style for one of their skills. Now if only the skill would actually be practically useful and I'd be sold.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nothing to see here move along.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Um... Volt, are you okay?

How is Hopeless Masquerade anyways? I was absolutely terrible at picking up IaMP and SWR, but that's probably cause I'm terrible at fighting games in general.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Um... Volt, are you okay?

How is Hopeless Masquerade anyways? I was absolutely terrible at picking up IaMP and SWR, but that's probably cause I'm terrible at fighting games in general.

I'm not nearly skilled enough to say how it stacks up as a competitive fighting game, but the animation is well-done, the characters are cool, and the story is surprisingly coherent (for a fighting game).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Once you get past its wall of mechanics, HM is basically Super Smash Brothers.

It's a pretty steep wall though.

Clarste posted:

I'm not nearly skilled enough to say how it stacks up as a competitive fighting game, but the animation is well-done, the characters are cool, and the story is surprisingly coherent (for a fighting game).

As a competitive game, HM is kind of garbage. The game is shallow as hell and the characters are more gimmicky than balanced.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
That picture is exactly what I needed to try to play this game again. I think I like 12.3 more but whatever.

BlitzBlast posted:

As a competitive game, HM is kind of garbage. The game is shallow as hell and the characters are more gimmicky than balanced.

Welp.

versus fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 23, 2013