Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hey what if there's a female link and she has to save Zelda because they're sisters. It gets rid of any sort of big story/lore complications.

Also what's the ideal sequence to play Oracle of Seasons/Ages? Is it Seasons first then Ages or Ages first then Seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hey what if there's a female link and she has to save Zelda because they're sisters. It gets rid of any sort of big story/lore complications.
For some reason that really appeals to me. Bechdel's Test ahoy!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Linkette/Zelda buddy cop story would be rad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Link can be anything, man or woman, boy or girl. And SHOULD be anything. Hell, you should be able to choose when you start the game if you want.

But Zelda is different, and if you make a game starring Zelda it would be a grave disservice to just make her a female Link. She needs to play differently, whether as Zelda, or Shiek, or transforming between the two. It would still be very similar to a traditional Zelda game, but when I see some guy's designs where they are just giving her a sword, sending her to eight dungeons and saying "it's steampunk" and calling it a day that seems kind of lazy. If you want to make that game, you're just making a girl Link, and Zelda is not a girl Link. She has more magical prowess, and she has completely different style of combat.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

greatn posted:

I think Link can be anything, man or woman, boy or girl. And SHOULD be anything. Hell, you should be able to choose when you start the game if you want.

But Zelda is different, and if you make a game starring Zelda it would be a grave disservice to just make her a female Link. She needs to play differently, whether as Zelda, or Shiek, or transforming between the two. It would still be very similar to a traditional Zelda game, but when I see some guy's designs where they are just giving her a sword, sending her to eight dungeons and saying "it's steampunk" and calling it a day that seems kind of lazy. If you want to make that game, you're just making a girl Link, and Zelda is not a girl Link. She has more magical prowess, and she has completely different style of combat.
If you're referring to Diaz's proposal, his is explicitly that, with Zelda learning magic from different teachers throughout the game and using it to defeat her enemies and solve puzzles; and the main conflict is Ganondorf discovering that Zelda is the heir to the lost Hylian kingdom and desiring her magic for his own. That's interesting because it puts Zelda and Ganondorf directly against one another, whereas in most games Ganondorf is trying to do something completely different, and Link has to stop him. That's an interesting dynamic.

Jim Jam
Oct 17, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also what's the ideal sequence to play Oracle of Seasons/Ages? Is it Seasons first then Ages or Ages first then Seasons?

How about gender as a construct is completely dissolved in one of the Zelda timelines and Ganondorf as a now only former victim of the patriarchy doesn't feel the need to establish his dominance in misguided ways and leaves Zelda right the gently caress alone.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Jim Jam posted:

How about gender as a construct is completely dissolved in one of the Zelda timelines and Ganondorf as a now only former victim of the patriarchy doesn't feel the need to establish his dominance in misguided ways and leaves Zelda right the gently caress alone.

Zelda has been kidnapped by Zoras are you a bad enough Female Link to rescue her.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jim Jam posted:

The Legend of Tumblr: Ocarina of Social Justice

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, Nintendo does have this gap in the :siren:TIMELINE:siren: where it splits into three, we have one where adult Link defeats Ganon, one where kid Link warns everybody and Ganondorf is arrested and locked away, and the last where Link is killed and nobody stops Ganon. Except a lot of people don't think that one counts, since we don't have a game that explicitly branches off from that path ie "Game Over's are not part of the plot".

So why can't we have our Zelda game take place directly after OoT, after Link loses against Ganon?

For one thing, that would mean we'd be playing as Zelda/Sheik, which would be awesome as hell as that's the one Zelda we can already play as in Smash Bros so we have a base skillset to build on. And it'd also be an interesting take on the story, the hero doesn't save the day, so what now? How do you stop Ganon from getting the Triforce? I think it'd be a neat twist on the typical formula to have you hiding the eight pieces of the Triforce at the end of each dungeon you beat, rather than collecting them, possibly even have you be the one who convinces those monsters to guard it for you? I dunno, I'm just brainstorming here, but there's definite potential in a game set after Link's defeat in OoT, where you control Zelda and have to fight on against impossible odds.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

For one thing, that would mean we'd be playing as Zelda/Sheik, which would be awesome as hell as that's the one Zelda we can already play as in Smash Bros so we have a base skillset to build on. And it'd also be an interesting take on the story, the hero doesn't save the day, so what now? How do you stop Ganon from getting the Triforce? I think it'd be a neat twist on the typical formula to have you hiding the eight pieces of the Triforce at the end of each dungeon you beat, rather than collecting them, possibly even have you be the one who convinces those monsters to guard it for you? I dunno, I'm just brainstorming here, but there's definite potential in a game set after Link's defeat in OoT, where you control Zelda and have to fight on against impossible odds.

They will never ever make this but it's a really neat idea and I'd love to play something like this.

It's fun to dream of the creative things Nintendo could do if they wanted.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I honestly want a game like Skyward Sword where you can play the zelda half and the link half.

Obviously that's a lot of development s its like two whole games. Maybe they could release them like a Seasons and ages thing where you can see who's going to buy which one and I guarantee you everyone will buy both. But I know as I went through Skyward Sword I was wondering how is Zelda an Impa we're getting through their half. Really want to play that.

I said before I'd be happy to play as the strong Impa character for a female lead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WendigoJohnson posted:

Doesn't matter in the slightest. Most fan timelines I saw before the official one came out listed Ages first with a reason cited as "With no other way to determine which game to list first, we went alphabetically". I would suggest playing whichever one you think you'll have an easier time with first though, since you can carry stuff over into the other. Ages is more puzzle-y, Seasons is more combat-y.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A game with Zelda as the protagonist would own.

Please do this Nintendo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

I honestly want a game like Skyward Sword where you can play the zelda half and the link half.

If Nintendo wanted us to revisit the same area over and over again it would have been nice to play as Zelda during that time.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So why can't we have our Zelda game take place directly after OoT, after Link loses against Ganon?

I would love this. Just think of the atmosphere: Link, The Hero of Time-- wielder of the Triforce of Courage-- killed.

Also it would be nice to know a bit more about the Seven Sages.

a.lo fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 21, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Bombadilillo posted:

Obviously that's a lot of development s its like two whole games. Maybe they could release them like a Seasons and ages thing where you can see who's going to buy which one and I guarantee you everyone will buy both. But I know as I went through Skyward Sword I was wondering how is Zelda an Impa we're getting through their half. Really want to play that.

I said before I'd be happy to play as the strong Impa character for a female lead.

Nintendo is missing a golden opportunity by not having Zelda's half of the story in Skyward Sword published as a "Master Quest" edition of the game.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh hey, someone got me Skyward Sword and a Wiimote+ for my birthday :3:

I'll let you guys know if I rage-stroke over the controls.

e: GROOSE :mad:

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 22, 2013

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So besides emulating it, where can I play the OoT Master Quest?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AASman posted:

So besides emulating it, where can I play the OoT Master Quest?

Find the GameCube disk that has OoT+Master Quest on it, or get the 3DS port of Ocarina of Time.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You can't download it on the Wii? I'd check but my Wii isn't hooked up at the moment.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You cannot. The 3DS version is the best option, plus they added some extra things to it to make it even more different (the world is flipped and you take double damage).

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh hey, someone got me Skyward Sword and a Wiimote+ for my birthday :3:

I'll let you guys know if I rage-stroke over the controls.

e: GROOSE :mad:

Just don't waggle around like a idiot. Precise stokes will always win out over flailing around like a kid with a toy sword.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Edoraz posted:

Just don't waggle around like a idiot. Precise stokes will always win out over flailing around like a kid with a toy sword.

Yeah, I'm discovering this. I find the sword control a little clumsy, and constantly recentreing the cursor has gotten very tiring (the slingshot is worthless in combat since I still have to aim even while locked on? what?), but overall it's not awful so far.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Note that unlike the Gamecube version, You have to beat the game to unlock master quest in the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Your choice of smiley next to his name will transform many times before this is all over.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
I got the chance to interview Eiji Aonuma (director of the Zelda games) last week at E3 for my site. We figured he wouldn't answer any of the generic questions about what the next Zelda would be, so we tried for something different. Here it is:

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/featur...est-franchises/

(Asked about the next Legend of Groose game obviously)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Aonuma posted:

Hmm… I think the project that reflects our reaction to fan opinion is probably Twilight Princess.

Shocking.

This is a great interview, man, though I think you missed the chance to ask for a game where you play as Zelda. Legend of Bado is a worthwhile second place, though. :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

This is terrible. Are all the Zelda creator's as oblivious to the glory that they created in BadoGROOSE?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I think that I would one day like to see an LoZ with tagalong character(s) who aren't Navi and could possibly assist you in combat. I've thought more than a few times that certain battles would be a lot more fun than they are if I had a few others fighting alongside me. Like, it'd be pretty cool to have a Goron companion or Zelda herself or something following you around.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Good job asking non-standard questions, it felt kind of like an Iwata Asks on the Nintendo site where he asks genuinely interesting questions that make the interviewee think for once instead of just the usual round of softballs.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SlenderWhore posted:

I think that I would one day like to see an LoZ with tagalong character(s) who aren't Navi and could possibly assist you in combat. I've thought more than a few times that certain battles would be a lot more fun than they are if I had a few others fighting alongside me. Like, it'd be pretty cool to have a Goron companion or Zelda herself or something following you around.

Well there's a wonderful wonderful trend starting in games of useful and not liability partners. Think Bioshock Infinate and The Last of Us.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Dragoon Cody posted:

I got the chance to interview Eiji Aonuma (director of the Zelda games) last week at E3 for my site. We figured he wouldn't answer any of the generic questions about what the next Zelda would be, so we tried for something different. Here it is:

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/featur...est-franchises/

(Asked about the next Legend of Groose game obviously)

You're from Zelda Universe? I read your site all the time! Great little articles on there. And this interview is fantastic!

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

MokBa posted:

You're from Zelda Universe? I read your site all the time! Great little articles on there. And this interview is fantastic!

Thanks! I've been on SA for a couple years but only noticed this thread when I was looking at the linkbacks to our site from the bigger-role-for-Zelda post.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

SlenderWhore posted:

That's a bit like how Spirit Tracks is- Zelda follows you around and offers you advice, but can only assist you during battles in the central dungeon tower if you collect the necessary magical artifacts strewn around the level.

Oh hey, I had seen that article before and liked it. Didn't know you were on SA either. Quick question though, did you talk to Aonuma directly or did you use a translator?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Hmm… I think the project that reflects our reaction to fan opinion is probably Twilight Princess.

I'm willing to believe that, considering that fans complain about everything, so trying to appease them would end up a bit of a muddled mess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm willing to believe that, considering that fans complain about everything, so trying to appease them would end up a bit of a muddled mess.

:confused: They're talking about Twilight Princess, not Skyward Sword?

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh hey, I had seen that article before and liked it. Didn't know you were on SA either. Quick question though, did you talk to Aonuma directly or did you use a translator?

There was a translator, you can see her in the image at the top of the interview page.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The answer to a Zelda game starring Zelda is already in Twilight Princess. At least the intro is... Just have this scene happen, but instead of surrendering, either the whole thing turns into either Zelda fighting with that sword or Fire Emblem style gameplay where you lead those troops. You lose the first battle because of plot reasons and have to fight your way back up, but there ya go.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

If Nintendo wanted us to revisit the same area over and over again it would have been nice to play as Zelda during that time.

Clearly the answer is to have an even bigger threat invade Hyrule right after Ganondorf accidentally eats Zelda. You play half the game as Ganondorf trying to retake the land so he can rule and half the time as Zelda helping from the inside/eventually getting out and flying solo. Thus revisiting the areas would present the characters with different goals and...

Yes, I want a sequel to Bowser's Inside Story MAKE IT HAPPEN NINTENDO.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 23, 2013

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

:confused: They're talking about Twilight Princess, not Skyward Sword?

To be fair, both of those game's major issues can be traced back to trying to please fans with features they've been screaming for. Usually stuff they try to say the last game did wrong.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The interview sort of brings to mind how divisive Zelda can get (hell, look at this thread even). The target audience is still kids the same age that we were when we got into this, but they also want to pull in those old-school fans who are now adults. That's a hell of a task for this particular type of game to handle, and it hasn't got it quite as easy as, say, Mario, which can be as completely ridiculous and cartoony as it wants because it isn't trying to create such a nuanced atmosphere.

But to be sure, kids still play it. Hell, a friend of mine uses the Zelda series for mother-daughter bonding. Go figure that the six-year-old daughter's favorite one is Twilight Princess. :v:

Bombadilillo posted:

Well there's a wonderful wonderful trend starting in games of useful and not liability partners. Think Bioshock Infinate and The Last of Us.

Even beyond Spirit Tracks, it's very easy to see them going this route with a future game, and it would be immensely welcome at that. If you had the Zelda character in as central a role as Elizabeth or Ellie in those, it would certainly live up to the "Legend of Zelda" name.

Also, I cannot be the only person who would find Link and Zelda actually having the entire adventure together, as themselves, rather than being perpetually separated by whatever contrivance to be a distinctly heartwarming prospect.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up
In regards to the art style we haven't seen yet, I'm hoping they try to visit the comic style they were going for in Majora's Mask. The illustrations for that game still look ballin'. It's too bad the N64 couldn't pull it off. That recent interview gives a little bit of hope knowing they know how popular the darker, mature style for Zelda is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Silver Sound posted:

In regards to the art style we haven't seen yet, I'm hoping they try to visit the comic style they were going for in Majora's Mask. The illustrations for that game still look ballin'. It's too bad the N64 couldn't pull it off. That recent interview gives a little bit of hope knowing they know how popular the darker, mature style for Zelda is.

gently caress yeah, Majora's Mask had awesome art, I loved the heavy use of pure black shadows on the characters and wished they'd used that in the game itself. Maybe if they ever do that remake they can toy around with giving the game a more unique look that contrasts itself against OoT's brighter palette.

That also reminds me of something Aonuma said:

Aonuma posted:

And with regard to the kind of opinions or fan response that I really want to hear, it’s “What stayed with you?” What left an impression? What made you feel happy? What made you feel sad? That kind of information is really helpful to me. I understand that people will have specific requests with regard to a certain dungeon, or “We want to see this particular item in the game,” or something like that. But even more than that I really value the emotional experience that people have, and as a creator it’s very important for me to leave an impression, and I’d like to hear what those impressions are.

When I played Majora's Mask, a huge part of the game was helping people who were lost and unable to help themselves. Giving people hope when they had none made me happy, I felt as if I was making an actual impact on the world, because rather than just saving faceless masses of people because that's what heroes do, I was saving a little girl's father from being turned into a mummy, or reuniting lost lovers during the final few minutes of the world, or reminding a drunk circus master why he made the choices he did in life and that he shouldn't regret them. That left a lasting impression on me.

If I ever meet Aonuma in real life, that's probably what I'd want to say to him.
Though I think I'd totally just stammer for a bit before asking him to sign whatever Zelda merch I had on me

• Locked thread