Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I managed to kill a couple. It seems like the only reliable way is to climb up their backs by repeatedly shooting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
It seems to have been updated since this morning. It did seem to be a work in progress, but it seems updates are quick.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
That's pretty fun. Spamming grapples definitely helps; there should be a gas pressure gauge (or worse yet, a retraction time on the hooks)

eladank
Feb 22, 2013
while spamming grapples helps when getting stuck, it is no way near as satisfying as a high damage fly by.
I still haven't figured out how to use the downward slash properly but this a very good game.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
If you use S + Attack you do a downward swing that cancels momentum. It's a good way of getting them if you're approaching a titan from behind and above.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.
Press M when you start to get awesome music.

Do not use the space bar except when travelling. Instead, just use the left and right grapples and HOLD down the key to keep it in place. This way you can do thinks like hang off of walls, swing in circles around titans using them as a fulcrum, and generally just be a badass.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Maybe it's just me being left handed but I find the controls really hard to use.
I could see this transferring to a standard controller really well though. Left and Right triggers for the grapples, one button for both and one for attacking.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
You are a young, idealistic person just trying to survive in a bleak world, assigned to an impossible position. You go into battle knowing that you're vastly outnumbered and can never win. Every time you get rid of one horrifying, dead-eyed humanoid monstrosity, there's thirty more shambling up behind to take its place. And if you make a single mistake, you'll be crushed, dismembered and eaten alive.

Attack on Titan is an allegory of the retail industry.

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 23, 2013

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well this certainly is a thing :stare:

Some guy has made "working" 3-D gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4f_OQwgK_g

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So Hajime Isayama was asked to help promote a new romance manga by drawing a little advertisement illustration on the ... I guess it's a dust jacket? Guess what he drew.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Isayama is the best. Didn't anyone learn anything from when he was asked to draw "Mikasa in a bikini" for the front cover of a magazine? Knowing what was asked for makes seeing buffed up MMA fighter Mikasa standing next to generic waifish animé girl crack me up every time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DrSunshine posted:

So Hajime Isayama was asked to help promote a new romance manga by drawing a little advertisement illustration on the ... I guess it's a dust jacket? Guess what he drew.

This guy is goony as hell.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pensive posted:

Isayama is the best. Didn't anyone learn anything from when he was asked to draw "Mikasa in a bikini" for the front cover of a magazine? Knowing what was asked for makes seeing buffed up MMA fighter Mikasa standing next to generic waifish animé girl crack me up every time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Those are both the best, oh my God.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah that loving owns I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall of that meeting.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I know these two are friends and the person who asked him to help knew what to expect but part of me wishes it was just two mangaka on the same magazine who have never spoken and this thing was entirely unexpected.

Isayama is just great. Just looking at his rejected manga volume covers shows you how much he wants to make an MMA series starring Mikasa. I'm ready to bet anything that's what his next series will be in 5 years time.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Popo posted:

Isayama is just great. Just looking at his rejected manga volume covers shows you how much he wants to make an MMA series starring Mikasa. I'm ready to bet anything that's what his next series will be in 5 years time.

I would absolutely read the poo poo out of this. This guys style when drawing action scenes would lend itself to an MMA manga really well.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Having caught up, I have to say, this is really really good.

I figured Annie was a titan pretty early on after her titan-appearance, and Ilse's journal indicated Ymir was, but I was really surprised that as far as we know Christa isn't.

Also, Mikasa is awesome.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DrSunshine posted:

I'd gladly buy it just for that, so it's a successful promotion I guess??

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The Portrait of Pixis as a Young Man?

The Annie and Ernie reveals were so obvious to me in retrospect, because their Titan forms look just like them. Bert less so, though I guess Bert IS pretty tall and ol' muscleface does sweat a lot :v:

I didn't see any of those coming, even though I pegged the Rage Titan pretty quick, if I recall.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Popo posted:

Where'd you find those?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Where'd you find those?

Just reading through the manga on Batato at the end of random chapters.
Trying to find some now because they aren't at the ends of volumes or chapters where you'd think they would be.

Here's the main one. There are, I think, two more in this vein

Just browse through the chapters and there's a bunch of odd little extras.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Popo posted:

Just reading through the manga on Batato at the end of random chapters.
Trying to find some now because they aren't at the ends of volumes or chapters where you'd think they would be.

Here's the main one. There are, I think, two more in this vein

Just browse through the chapters and there's a bunch of odd little extras.

Oh man! Just imagine Mikasa vs. Natsuo from Teppu. :allears:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
gently caress. I almost cleared the Titan game but got slammed by a superhuge one at 4 titans left.

:suicide:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I wish the most recent episode had ended with Eren lifting up the rock. At least it was paced a lot better than the couple episodes before it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, the OST for the anime is out. This is one of the track names (track 11 from the sample list posted a while ago): Female Titan~Exterminate

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I'm pretty sure blind and deaf man could have called that being in the anime. I doubt they're going to get much past that, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure blind and deaf man could have called that being in the anime. I doubt they're going to get much past that, though.
I was more pointing out the OST spoiling a plot point with a track name. But yeah, I figured Titan-Annie was going to be in the anime. Like you said, what happens afterwards is up in the air.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The sky is blue, the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and supplementary materials spoil poo poo. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

The sky is blue, the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and supplementary materials spoil poo poo. :v:
Yeah, I remembered that Gundam Unicorn's first OST spoiled the reveal with Audrey with one of its tracks right after I posted. Derp.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The Phantom Menace soundtrack had a song titled "Qui-Gon's Funeral" so it's an older practice than you think. Not that anyone over 10 cared about that movie's plot...

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

AradoBalanga posted:

So, the OST for the anime is out. This is one of the track names (track 11 from the sample list posted a while ago): Female Titan~Exterminate

It's funny because the anime thread has been spoiled with regard to the Reiner/Bertholdt reveal and now Annie is going to show up instead of them.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Vincent Valentine posted:

It's funny because the anime thread has been spoiled with regard to the Reiner/Bertholdt reveal and now Annie is going to show up instead of them.

Did they all get spoiled? That loving sucks.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
I spent all of today reading this, and it was amazing. Had to take a break a couple times due to the sheer amount of crazy revelations that it throws at us.

One thing particularly stuck out for me. It was that one scene in the castle. I wonder why Ymir could read the language on that can. More importantly, why is there a different language in the first place?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

i300 posted:

I spent all of today reading this, and it was amazing. Had to take a break a couple times due to the sheer amount of crazy revelations that it throws at us.

One thing particularly stuck out for me. It was that one scene in the castle. I wonder why Ymir could read the language on that can. More importantly, why is there a different language in the first place?

Given that the language on the can is foreign to Reiner, that suggests that the text is either old and supplanted by the language they speak now, or it originated from a place outside of the places we know, likely including the Titan village Bert and Ernie belong to. That leads me to think either Ymir's a good deal older than she looks, that she learned the language from another source within the walls (which then further brings up the question of where that person obtained their knowledge), or that Ymir is from possibly outside the walls. Given that one Titan seemed to know of her outside the walls, I'm leaning heavily towards the latter theory.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Given that the language on the can is foreign to Reiner,

I wouldn't necessarily believe him in that instant. Don't really see him saying: "Hey did you learn that in Titan school too? Always hated mirror Katagana."

Thoren
May 28, 2008
At this point, Ymir is even more of a wild card than the duo.

Different titan powers, different origin, bi-lingual, being worshipped by that random deviant...

I originally thought Ymir was one of the "entirely" transformed Titans, like the ones that recently got spawned inside the walls from the villagers. It's still possible that the deviant that referred to her as "Ymir-sama" was clinging to some small memory of humanity referring to Ymir's human faction/origin.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Side note, but this talk of languages reminded me of it and today I was thinking about it: Connie apparently only speaks in polite language because if he speaks normally, he'll use his region's accent and everyone will think he's a dumb farmer boy or something. It's a shame there's no way (I can think of) for the translator to show that, so they just mention it randomly in that one panel or so. It's just funny to me that all of humanity is stuck in these little walls and they still manage to develop dialects, but everyone (even the titans) apparently speaks one language, even if there is an older writing system (or even language).

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Shadow0 posted:

Side note, but this talk of languages reminded me of it and today I was thinking about it: Connie apparently only speaks in polite language because if he speaks normally, he'll use his region's accent and everyone will think he's a dumb farmer boy or something. It's a shame there's no way (I can think of) for the translator to show that, so they just mention it randomly in that one panel or so. It's just funny to me that all of humanity is stuck in these little walls and they still manage to develop dialects, but everyone (even the titans) apparently speaks one language, even if there is an older writing system (or even language).

Was that Connie? I thought that was Sasha.

And normally from what I've seen in anime, Osaka Dialect (or stereotypical Deep South in English translations) is used for people with 'less refined' accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

About that-- I figure people default to the "Southern country accent" because most translations are done by Americans. I just wonder what'd it be like if most translators were British? What kind of accent would they use? Chav-speak? Geordie accents?