Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Haydez posted:

642-637 (CCNP Security SECURE) in the books today. Yay.

Getting through the cisco press book was harder than the actual exam was. I watched the CBT Nuggets (which were boring) and finally got an all access pass to INE and watched their videos which were a bit better suited to me.

Happy to have that one down. On to FIREWALL. At least the material looks a bit better for me.

Glad to hear that SECURE sticks to the same "never use the Cisco Press book" stance that FIREWALL did, I'm going to have to take that in the near future. Protip for FIREWALL: you're going to be shocked at how heavily the test emphasizes ASDM over CLI. Be sure to get hands-on with ASDM a bit just so you know what is where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Jedi425 posted:

Glad to hear that SECURE sticks to the same "never use the Cisco Press book" stance that FIREWALL did, I'm going to have to take that in the near future. Protip for FIREWALL: you're going to be shocked at how heavily the test emphasizes ASDM over CLI. Be sure to get hands-on with ASDM a bit just so you know what is where.

I found that out last night. We use ASDM a lot (ugh) where I work so I was actually looking forward to digging into the command line a bit. Then watching the first INE video of "it will be heavily ASDM based" crushed my dreams.

cisco press had some buy 3 get 40% off sale so I bit the bullet and bought Firewall, VPN and IPS books. Probably going to regret it but oh well. I have a safraibooks subscription too so I should know better... argh.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Man did I pick the wrong weekend to study for my Network+ on Monday. My girlfriend just got laid off and there's literally nothing else in her field here. My boss also informed us that we "aren't doing the numbers we projected" which typically translates to "we're gonna fire some people soon".

Lot of pressure.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Just redoing my CCENT from 4 years ago since apparently they expire after 3 years. Lots of differences, it's a lot better laid out now (Cisco Press)

Good Points: No more ring network stuff, Almost no OSI stuff, routing/WAN section is a lot better laid out and easier to understand

Bad Stuff: IPv6 fuuuuccccckkkkkk yooooooooooooooooooooooou

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

skipdogg posted:

This is off topic, but can someone explain to me why everyone wants to be a pentester?

You couldn't pay me enough to do it, but some folks around here act like it's the most awesome job ever. This isn't directed at you XakEp, as you've been in the industry for a long time and know how it works, but mostly the young guys who have never worked real IT and think IT Security and Pen Testing is the holy grail of cool poo poo to do. I blame Hollywood and the movies for this.

I don't think it makes any sense at that level, but it's something I want to look at in my career in the long term. The most interesting stuff I work on as a SysAdmin is when we have an infrastructure issue that needs to be broken down by looking at all the symptoms and then systematically deconstructed to get to the root of the issue, and then work your way back up to fix it in a sane way. Naturally though it's not a good sign when this is happening to you every day because it means your infrastructure isn't just complex, it's also poo poo.

I get a real kick out of being given an obscure problem and being able to come back with a thorough diagnosis and a comprehensive fix, pentesting and security work would be a way to get to do that more without necessarily being a firefighter working on massively broken crap. There's no way I'd even start down that path without getting a ton of experience from the operational side though, otherwise I'd just be the guy who pisses everyone off by telling them they're doing something wrong, without being able to offer any kind of fix because I wouldn't understand what the operational guys are aiming for in the first place.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I'd there a decent CCNA training video series out yet? If yes where can I get it from?

Ganon
May 24, 2003
CBT Nuggets recently released the videos for the new exams.

Edit: I'm dumb, you mentioned that already in an earlier post.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alctel posted:

Just redoing my CCENT from 4 years ago since apparently they expire after 3 years. Lots of differences, it's a lot better laid out now (Cisco Press)

Good Points: No more ring network stuff, Almost no OSI stuff, routing/WAN section is a lot better laid out and easier to understand

I'm slowly working through Lammle's book, and the problem isn't that any of the material is hard but just there is so much of it. So, so much.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Okay so I'm looking to setup a basic home lab to mess around with in pursuit of Microsoft, Cisco certifications and for my own general knowledge and experience. I'm a college student/helpdesk surfer so I don't have much of a budget to go on in pursuit of a lab, but feel that it's going to be necessary going forward to know physically how to perform certain tasks both from the hardware perspective and from the total system building perspective.

My primary concern is going to be most effective use of resources for the money and modularity and a setup condusive to learning.

My immediate goals are:
Microsoft Server Administrator
CCNA or equivalent
Virtualization Experience
Linux Familiarity down the line

Long Term
CCNP R+S/Juniper

My effective budget is rather low (~$500) and I can probably acquire partner pricing/subsidization for training through my company.

I can cut, crimp, and set my own connections

Any build suggestions?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Buy and insert as much RAM as your current desktop PC can support. You're done.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Okay so I'm looking to setup a basic home lab to mess around with in pursuit of Microsoft, Cisco certifications and for my own general knowledge and experience. I'm a college student/helpdesk surfer so I don't have much of a budget to go on in pursuit of a lab, but feel that it's going to be necessary going forward to know physically how to perform certain tasks both from the hardware perspective and from the total system building perspective.

My primary concern is going to be most effective use of resources for the money and modularity and a setup condusive to learning.

My immediate goals are:
Microsoft Server Administrator
CCNA or equivalent
Virtualization Experience
Linux Familiarity down the line

Long Term
CCNP R+S/Juniper

My effective budget is rather low (~$500) and I can probably acquire partner pricing/subsidization for training through my company.

I can cut, crimp, and set my own connections

Any build suggestions?

An MSDN Premium sub retails about $3500 for the first year but entitles you to media and keys for almost every product MS has ever made both at work and at home. Get your work to buy it and you can sandbox any crazy architecture your job needs and take it home to do whatever you want in your spare time too, like setup a Hyper-V farm with Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, SQL, AD, Project Server, a SharePoint Integrated Report Server and a storage server all in separate VMs and all tightly integrated. Student/charity discount is about 75%, if you qualify for that. Retail copies also give you Perpetual Use rights after your sub expires, which essentially means you should go on a huge downloading spree before it expires and grab every interesting version/edition of anything you might ever possibly be interested in.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Hell most of the 180-120-90 day trials should last you long enough

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So I shouldn't go out and get a lab router. Okay I'll take all of the above into advisement.

Edit: Okay, on that note, does anyone have specifically recommended references?

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 22, 2013

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So I shouldn't go out and get a lab router. Okay I'll take all of the above into advisement.

Edit: Okay, on that note, does anyone have specifically recommended references?

For the CCNP stuff you can get away with GNS3 and a couple of switches that can do MLS. You'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting with GNS3, but you should be ok.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

XakEp posted:

For the CCNP stuff you can get away with GNS3 and a couple of switches that can do MLS. You'll have to do a bit of troubleshooting with GNS3, but you should be ok.

Look for a copy of IOU or IOL, you can even find them already built in VMware.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Alctel posted:

That's the reason I'm doing CCENT/CCNA now, I do not want to take a IPv6 exam.

What should be the next cert to go for after CCNA?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Tasty Wheat posted:

Look for a copy of IOU or IOL, you can even find them already built in VMware.

Does this handle switching, or just routing like GNS3?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

keseph posted:

An MSDN Premium sub retails about $3500 for the first year but entitles you to media and keys for almost every product MS has ever made both at work and at home. Get your work to buy it and you can sandbox any crazy architecture your job needs and take it home to do whatever you want in your spare time too, like setup a Hyper-V farm with Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, SQL, AD, Project Server, a SharePoint Integrated Report Server and a storage server all in separate VMs and all tightly integrated. Student/charity discount is about 75%, if you qualify for that. Retail copies also give you Perpetual Use rights after your sub expires, which essentially means you should go on a huge downloading spree before it expires and grab every interesting version/edition of anything you might ever possibly be interested in.

Why not just use technet for ~300 a year?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

XakEp posted:

Does this handle switching, or just routing like GNS3?

http://www.routereflector.com/it/cisco/cisco-iou-web-interface/features-not-supported/

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

1000101 posted:

Why not just use technet for ~300 a year?

TechNet is eval-only and has business-oriented editions only meaning you're not allowed to do any day-to-day work or development on it. MSDN allows use for basically everything except true Production use, all the way up through UAT. You can make an easy argument for your business to buy MSDN licenses for your team to cover all your dev work rather than buying individual server licenses for your dev servers -- you can often pitch it as an overall cost savings to the business. If you can't get your business to buy it then yeah TechNet makes sense when spending your own dime.

keseph fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 23, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wait I thought we were talking about lab environments?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Corvettefisher posted:

Wait I thought we were talking about lab environments?
We are, and I am consistently amazed at how much people over estimate their needs in a lab environment. In order to run a home lab, you need

- A computer with a decent amount of memory, and HD space for your VMDKs (you will run out of memory well before hard drive space)
- VMware Workstation
- 180 day trials of a Microsoft product
- FreeNAS
- Openfiler
- GNS Workbench

But talking to some people around here, you'd think you need a rack of servers with offsite DR to lab some poo poo.

Stop overthinking and planning people, just install a copy of Server 2008 R2 in a VM, dcpromo, then think okay what else would I want in my sandbox domain, then build that computer, etc.

e: I'm not mad at anyone, I just think that a lot of people are guilty of that "plan it to the nth, the environment must be perfect" mentality and have to shake out of it for this. You'll spend all your time planning and not enough learning. Part of the point and fun of the lab environment is to slap poo poo together haphazardly. You don't need a perfect setup for it, you just need to get in there and do it. I appreciate that people want to be efficient, but if you spend too much time in the planning phase you'll never see results.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 23, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

- A computer with a decent amount of memory, and HD space for your VMDKs (you will run out of memory well before hard drive space)

- 180 day trials of a Microsoft product

I think most of us assume you have a gaming rig, which qualifies on the memory and space criteria.
Not all server software offers extended trials, and personally I might have a few hours to work on a lab one evening and then not have time or energy to work on it again until a couple weeks later, repeat a couple times and suddenly all my 30-day trials are expiring and I need to wipe and rebuild everything, which makes me not want to waste time on it since it's just going to expire again soon anyway and I end up in a :effort: cycle. That's a personal challenge regarding lab environments and my suggestions were colored toward dealing with it.

Making unfounded assumptions is to be expected when the person asking the question doesn't (and realistically can't) give all the context for what tools and hardware they have and what strengths and weaknesses they have when learning in a lab environment.

As for people describing extreme requirements, personally I like labbing a crazy corner case on the basis that it forces me to deal with a lot of extra difficulties and yield a complete solution template in my head with an understanding of all the subtle parts that go into it. Then when I arrive at a normal case, I can just strike-off all the unneeded extras and be left with a correct, working solution.

However, you're absolutely right that just starting and taking a stab at something -- anything -- is a great first step instead of agonizing over the "right" plan.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

keseph posted:

Not all server software offers extended trials, and personally I might have a few hours to work on a lab one evening and then not have time or energy to work on it again until a couple weeks later, repeat a couple times and suddenly all my 30-day trials are expiring and I need to wipe and rebuild everything, which makes me not want to waste time on it since it's just going to expire again soon anyway and I end up in a :effort: cycle. That's a personal challenge regarding lab environments and my suggestions were colored toward dealing with it.

Wait so you say some trials just aren't long enough but admit to being too lazy and pessimistic about utilizing the allotted time?

Am I reading something wrong?
:psyduck:

ps: slmgr -ream is your friend of Windows Trials

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

keseph posted:

TechNet is eval-only and has business-oriented editions only meaning you're not allowed to do any day-to-day work or development on it. MSDN allows use for basically everything except true Production use, all the way up through UAT. You can make an easy argument for your business to buy MSDN licenses for your team to cover all your dev work rather than buying individual server licenses for your dev servers -- you can often pitch it as an overall cost savings to the business. If you can't get your business to buy it then yeah TechNet makes sense when spending your own dime.

Technet lets you run full versions of drat near everything for labbing, planning, whatever you need to do that isn't: A. production; B. related to product development. I think for the guy you were quoting originally technet's probably more appropriate (he's just getting started.) For someone developing products or running a lab in the business MSDN is absolutely the better choice.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Corvettefisher posted:

Wait so you say some trials just aren't long enough but admit to being too lazy and pessimistic about utilizing the allotted time?

Am I reading something wrong?
:psyduck:

ps: slmgr -ream is your friend of Windows Trials

Yes. I have enough laziness and pessimism to make a 30-day trial problematic for trying to learn a complicated product or system in my spare time. I have an established DBA career, a wife, and two kids; I don't have anywhere near as much spare time and energy as I did when I was working helpdesk in college. I've gotten lazy(er), complacent and entitled in my old age and expect my employer to buy Nice Things to support my learning that I turn around and use at work. Which leads to...

1000101 posted:

Technet lets you run full versions of drat near everything for labbing, planning, whatever you need to do that isn't: A. production; B. related to product development. I think for the guy you were quoting originally technet's probably more appropriate (he's just getting started.) For someone developing products or running a lab in the business MSDN is absolutely the better choice.

You're right. I misread his "I can get my business to subsidize training" and was thinking he could get them to pay for at-work licenses that he could also use at home. Completely missed that he was working helpdesk where it can be nearly impossible to get your employer to invest in you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm so glad I decided to finally buck up and study for the CCNA now, so that I can have it done before the September deadline.

The newer exams have IPv6 on them, right? The current ICND1/2 don't have them, correct?

The CCENT stuff is different than I expected. I was expecting more lab stuff, but it's mostly definitions and the damned OSI model, with a littttle bit of network setup (intro config, static routing, RIP, DHCP).

After spending a while getting GNS3 setup so that I can telnet/SSH into my fake routers, it's working great. And I can vouch for CBTNuggets being pretty great, especially the explanation of subnetting. I went from being completely mystified by subnet masks to being able to almost completely do them in my head.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

QPZIL posted:

I'm so glad I decided to finally buck up and study for the CCNA now, so that I can have it done before the September deadline.

The newer exams have IPv6 on them, right? The current ICND1/2 don't have them, correct?

The CCENT stuff is different than I expected. I was expecting more lab stuff, but it's mostly definitions and the damned OSI model, with a littttle bit of network setup (intro config, static routing, RIP, DHCP).

After spending a while getting GNS3 setup so that I can telnet/SSH into my fake routers, it's working great. And I can vouch for CBTNuggets being pretty great, especially the explanation of subnetting. I went from being completely mystified by subnet masks to being able to almost completely do them in my head.

Current CCNA has a lot of IPv6. CCNP has even more of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

psydude posted:

Current CCNA has a lot of IPv6. CCNP has even more of it.

When you say current, are you talking about 640-822 or 100-101?

Granted, IPv6 would be good to know anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

640-822 is the current one.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How accurate is Mike Meyer's simulation exam? I've taken it a few times and normally hit 80-85% answers, but I'm noticing I'm hitting the same questions over and over, and it's no longer any good for me to use as I basically know the answers to those specific questions. I'm kind of afraid to drop the money on the A+ exam just to fail it.

Is it harder/the same? I have to brush back up on my laser printers and my monitor screen sizes if his exam is any indication of what I have to look forward to.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Don't study the sim exam study the book and the material.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Corvettefisher posted:

Don't study the sim exam study the book and the material.

I'm not, but I'm trying to use it to gauge my ability to take the exam. But that purpose is waning because the questions aren't very varied. That's why I'm asking to see if I'm ready for this stupid exam or not.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm not, but I'm trying to use it to gauge my ability to take the exam. But that purpose is waning because the questions aren't very varied. That's why I'm asking to see if I'm ready for this stupid exam or not.

Re-read the book and just schedule a real exam to see how ready you are. Otherwise you will end up taking sim/practice/whatever tests forever.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with the CCNA Design or Data Centre certs? I'm thinking I want to do them but I haven't met a single person who has or what their use it for those certs.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
This is probably a really dumb question, so my apologies in advance, but are there such things as certifications for specific languages, or is it more a case of being able to demonstrate a selection of things you've made/done with the language?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

6EQUJ5 posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, so my apologies in advance, but are there such things as certifications for specific languages, or is it more a case of being able to demonstrate a selection of things you've made/done with the language?

There are language certifications, but they fall outside of the scope of IT certifications. You may have luck asking in SAL in your specific language thread.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Just passed Network+! Huge relief, lot of career advancement pressure looming. I think next will be Sec+ as I've heard it's one of the easier ones.

Materials I studied (for those curious) are the Professor Messer videos on Youtube and the Mike Meyer's Passport Network+ Guide (GET THE PAPERBACK, it comes with practice tests). It really helps to also have practical work experience with Voip phones and basic/small office networking equipment.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

6EQUJ5 posted:

Programming languages? Yeah Oracle has a Java certification and I saw someone mention a C++ Grandmaster certification a few days ago ( http://www.cppgm.org/ ) but when it comes to programming I think it would be better to post stuff on Github or contribute to open source projects.

I'm not a programmer but that's what I hear over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Lareous posted:

Just passed Network+! Huge relief, lot of career advancement pressure looming. I think next will be Sec+ as I've heard it's one of the easier ones.

Materials I studied (for those curious) are the Professor Messer videos on Youtube and the Mike Meyer's Passport Network+ Guide (GET THE PAPERBACK, it comes with practice tests). It really helps to also have practical work experience with Voip phones and basic/small office networking equipment.

Any questions that I should look out for or advice in general? I'm passing all of my practice tests with 85-90% scores. The only thing keeping me from taking the test is the fact that I'm broke as gently caress. I'm already putting what I know to work at my new job, but I still want to take the test because I studied for it.