Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Jon93 posted:

Everyone complaining about the lack of tile support would be pleased to know that it's half-way into the game already.

Even if this shady Kickstarter falls on it's face I'd expect it to be in the game within a few months.

I'm going to quick compile a version of GDA that uses the shipped 0.6 code in the hopes that it fixes game breaking bugs for you brave souls running it.

After that PiCroft is going to be sole runner of GDA for a while, god speed.

God save us more like :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think the kickstarter will fail, it's at $2.5k/$7k after 24 hours, can't wait for you guys to play as me and get smashed by a zombie hulk.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Is there any secret way to make fires that actually burn for awhile? I put logs in the fire but they don't burn for more than a few minutes and even burn all the way. Also, that kickstarter is moving pretty quickly which is pretty awesome.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Giggle Goose posted:

Is there any secret way to make fires that actually burn for awhile? I put logs in the fire but they don't burn for more than a few minutes and even burn all the way. Also, that kickstarter is moving pretty quickly which is pretty awesome.

The easiest way to make a fire that burns for a while is to set a building on fire. I set an apartment on fire and it's still burning about 5 game days later.

If you aren't willing to destroy an entire building every time you want to cook a rabbit though, I think that single-tile fires just tend to burn out too quickly in general. It definitely seems to be based on how much you put on it though, so the only real advice is to add more burnable mass.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Giggle Goose posted:

I really think that fires using logs don't burn right. I looks like if you light a two by four it burns down to a burnt two by four which burns to nothing, but logs just become burnt logs that go out. Heavy sticks and the like are good too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The part of fields.cpp that deals with how long fires burn is pretty complicated, so I'm not really sure what does what. One thing I've figured out so far is that the best way to keep a fire burning is to feed it alcoholic drinks. Whiskey, vodka, etc. increase the lifespan of the fire by 300 time units per volume unit, while wood and such add 1-4 time units at most. There's definitely a relation between units of volume and lifespan, but the relationship between material and lifespan is way larger.

[edit] Also, there's a relationship between fire density and lifespan. If you burn a lot of stuff at once, you will get a "denser" fire - that is to say, a raging fire instead of a small one. Big fires burn their fuel faster, though, so you won't actually get a longer burning fire out of it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 23, 2013

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who usually can't play games with just ASCII graphics and no tileset, this game isn't that bad. You get used to it real quick. The symbols still manage to look like roads and buildings and whatever. There's games where everything is just completely incomprehensible until you no longer see the code (just blond, brunette, redhead...)

The only thing that sucks for me is that certain categories just get the same symbol and you can't just see what it is. For example, all guns are a red (.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Here's a little tidbit I felt like sharing, because I had the question and it took digging through the terrible code to find the answer: the amount of fuel you use is only dependent on the engine(s) the vehicle has and if you're pushing it past the max safe speed. It felt to me like my motorcycle was burning way too much fuel despite having an efficiency of 1, so I thought maybe fuel usage was determined by how much junk you were storing in the box or how fast you were driving it (safe speed), but apparently not--constant fuel usage except when pushing it too hard. Also, there's a hard-coded minimum fuel usage of 1 fuel per turn, which obviously doesn't take into account fuel shutoff when decelerating or letting the vehicle coast (cruise control off).

I'd consider adding that stuff in, as the implementations seemingly wouldn't be that hard, but the code is an absolute loving mess. The largest factor in what makes it so terrible is a crime that no modern programmer should ever commit: non-descriptive variable names. average (or avg, as it's one of the very few acceptable abbreviations) is passable as a function scoped variable or argument, if the function only makes use of one averaged value, as you can probably gleam what it's the average of from the context of the function. But it's terrible as a class member variable and downright disgusting as a global. So why would anyone go a step further and just name a variable meant to be an average, av? An abbreviation that no one understands and it takes a lot of reading to figure out what it is.

I mean, look at this declaration: int pid, pdx, pdy, php, pam, pbld, pbig, pnit;
What the gently caress is this? How much time could have possibly been saved by giving these variables these bullshit names instead of descriptive ones, and how much time is going to be wasted now that anyone that looks at it from now to eternity, will spend 20 minutes just trying to figure out what the gently caress they represent.

Here's another fun one that you can't even tell what the gently caress it does from context, other than it's located in a constructor called veh_interact, which creates a liked-named class.

code:
winw1 = 12;
winw2 = 35;
winh1 = 3;
winh2 = 12;
winw12 = winw1 + winw2 + 1;
winw3 = 80 - winw1 - winw2 - 2;
winh3 = 25 - winh1 - winh2 - 2;
winh23 = winh2 + winh3 + 1;
winx1 = winw1;
winx2 = winw1 + winw2 + 1;
winy1 = winh1;
winy2 = winh1 + winh2 + 1;

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
No kidding. Seriously, it's awful. The code is an horrible, basically undocumented mess. It's nearly impossible to change anything except through trial and error.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, I'm a layman for sure, but I learned not to do that in Intro to C++ in high school. Also from any beginner book I picked up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

Here's another fun one that you can't even tell what the gently caress it does from context, other than it's located in a constructor called veh_interact, which creates a liked-named class.

code:
winw1 = 12;
winw2 = 35;
winh1 = 3;
winh2 = 12;
winw12 = winw1 + winw2 + 1;
winw3 = 80 - winw1 - winw2 - 2;
winh3 = 25 - winh1 - winh2 - 2;
winh23 = winh2 + winh3 + 1;
winx1 = winw1;
winx2 = winw1 + winw2 + 1;
winy1 = winh1;
winy2 = winh1 + winh2 + 1;

Whoever wrote that piece of code, deserves to be punched in the face. Twice. Every day.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I have a vehicle question. I can't seem to figure out how to get out of cars once I am inside of them. The wiki says that pressing the "e" key should do the trick but it doesn't do anything. Is there something else that I have to do to get out of cars?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

The part of fields.cpp that deals with how long fires burn is pretty complicated, so I'm not really sure what does what. One thing I've figured out so far is that the best way to keep a fire burning is to feed it alcoholic drinks. Whiskey, vodka, etc. increase the lifespan of the fire by 300 time units per volume unit, while wood and such add 1-4 time units at most. There's definitely a relation between units of volume and lifespan, but the relationship between material and lifespan is way larger.

[edit] Also, there's a relationship between fire density and lifespan. If you burn a lot of stuff at once, you will get a "denser" fire - that is to say, a raging fire instead of a small one. Big fires burn their fuel faster, though, so you won't actually get a longer burning fire out of it.

Is there a way to dump only one unit of alcohol on a tile? Lowest I can figure is 7 (via dumping into a flask and unloading it)

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

Here's a little tidbit I felt like sharing, because I had the question and it took digging through the terrible code to find the answer: the amount of fuel you use is only dependent on the engine(s) the vehicle has and if you're pushing it past the max safe speed. It felt to me like my motorcycle was burning way too much fuel despite having an efficiency of 1, so I thought maybe fuel usage was determined by how much junk you were storing in the box or how fast you were driving it (safe speed), but apparently not--constant fuel usage except when pushing it too hard. Also, there's a hard-coded minimum fuel usage of 1 fuel per turn, which obviously doesn't take into account fuel shutoff when decelerating or letting the vehicle coast (cruise control off).

Does this mean it's always more fuel-efficient to go at your maximum safe speed if you're driving a great distance?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

TheKnife posted:

Does this mean it's always more fuel-efficient to go at your maximum safe speed if you're driving a great distance?

It certainly seems like it; I know I always used to travel below the max speed.

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!

Giggle Goose posted:

I have a vehicle question. I can't seem to figure out how to get out of cars once I am inside of them. The wiki says that pressing the "e" key should do the trick but it doesn't do anything. Is there something else that I have to do to get out of cars?

Press "^". This will bring up a mini-menu of stuff to do in your car, including abandoning the controls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Incidentally, you can now abandon the controls without automatically getting hurt. You can even move around in a moving vehicle, so long as you don't jump out of the door.

esquilax posted:

Is there a way to dump only one unit of alcohol on a tile? Lowest I can figure is 7 (via dumping into a flask and unloading it)
None that I know off, sorry.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Vehicles were a third-party mod that got merged in. As much as I'd love to punch Whales for the terrible code in the rest of the game, he can't be blamed for that part.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Speaking of vehicles, can zombies walk over vehicle frames? I'm working on modifying a flatbed truck into a mobile base, but I can get into my default truck without using the doors by moving diagonally between the windshield and the doors. I know zombies will die if they collide with the frame at speed, but I'm worried about them being able to get in when I'm asleep in my truck.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The bugginess of solar panels at the moment really annoys the crap out of me.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Speaking of vehicles, can zombies walk over vehicle frames? I'm working on modifying a flatbed truck into a mobile base, but I can get into my default truck without using the doors by moving diagonally between the windshield and the doors. I know zombies will die if they collide with the frame at speed, but I'm worried about them being able to get in when I'm asleep in my truck.

Enemies can and will enter your vehicles diagonally
Keep this in mind when designing your supercar

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Cardiovorax posted:

No kidding. Seriously, it's awful. The code is an horrible, basically undocumented mess. It's nearly impossible to change anything except through trial and error.

I learned how to code in C from neverwinter nights, even back then (in 7th grade) I learned to give variables meaningful names and to comment your code. Ive never done anything beyond program tools in VBA to help me do work faster at my job, and it's amazing to me that this guy managed to make a somewhat popular game and be so lovely at coding.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

They can and they will. They can't walk through boards, but on the other hand, you can't see through them, which restricts your vision.

A common solution is to take a semi and build a little house on the back out of boards, connected to the cockpit with an internal door.

unrelated question: Does anyone know where to find Superalloy plating? I've been looking for some to complete my CBM--Alloy plating mods, but I haven't seen any in years of in-game time over several characters. Same with plasma engines, minireactors, and hydrogen tanks, come to think of it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Vengarr posted:

unrelated question: Does anyone know where to find Superalloy plating? I've been looking for some to complete my CBM--Alloy plating mods, but I haven't seen any in years of in-game time over several characters. Same with plasma engines, minireactors, and hydrogen tanks, come to think of it.
Bank vaults are the only place I've ever seen it.

You can also disassemble any CBM armor mod to get 4 superalloy sheets.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You can also get it off robots.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Thanks for the vehicle advice, guys. I ended up just plopping down some extra windows on the assumption that anything trying to destroy them will probably wake me up before they break through and masacre me. Driving from town to town kitting out my vehicle is way more fun than I thought it'd be.

e: Do characters have randomized taste preferences? I just noticed that my character disliked canned corn, which seems kind of weird. This might just be me, since I grew up in an American county with a prominent annual corn festival, but I don't think I've even met anyone that disliked corn. I can understand why my character hates spam, but corn?

Sumac fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 24, 2013

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Ok, glad it isn't just me. Looking at the code to try to actually find the armor values for the armor CBMs was a loving nightmare. No info on bionics function is actually in the bionics class, it's all hard coded in who knows how many places. (The CBM values are in the code for calculating armor values, and not even defined in a header file anywhere, it's just "if player has armor bionic, and the location being checked is the right one for that location, armor+=3" to change it for every armor CBM you'd need to change it in 3 pieces)

Now I know why my data structures class grade was like 3/4 commenting and style adherence, holy poo poo.

I am almost tempted to try to help clean it up, but the magnitude of the stuff that really really needs to be moved to logical places is quite daunting.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

e: Do characters have randomized taste preferences? I just noticed that my character disliked canned corn, which seems kind of weird. This might just be me, since I grew up in an American county with a prominent annual corn festival, but I don't think I've even met anyone that disliked corn. I can understand why my character hates spam, but corn?

Check out the enjoyability of the food, not sure what corn has but it might be negative for some reason. The only thing I noticed is with a higher cooking skill cooked meat gives a higher morale boost, too bad the boost is so short.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Huh so apparently the new version changes a bunch of archery stuff so there's multiple bows and arrow types. You no longer just get arrows from wood sticks. Wood arrows do shiiiiit damage.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Well, canned corn might not be as good as fresh corn, just as canned ham isn't as good as fresh ham.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Thanks for the vehicle advice, guys. I ended up just plopping down some extra windows on the assumption that anything trying to destroy them will probably wake me up before they break through and masacre me. Driving from town to town kitting out my vehicle is way more fun than I thought it'd be.

It's the "canned" part that bothers them. You can find regular corn growing on farms and characters like that just fine.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

randombattle posted:

Huh so apparently the new version changes a bunch of archery stuff so there's multiple bows and arrow types. You no longer just get arrows from wood sticks. Wood arrows do shiiiiit damage.

Yeah now shooting arrows made the old way, out of a heavy stick or the like, are basically just wooden dowels now. If you do manage to get some fletchings and arrow heads on them you can wreck armored targets now. Wolf spiders are no longer are god drat nightmare.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

One of the things the DDA team started one early on was an item factory and loading stuff from files, which makes adding new tools, ammo etc a cinch. I think addin repairable Kevlar and plastic would have taken longer without it.

I think the problem with going through the code and un-loving it would require a pretty massive undertaking, even if it were just to convert variables to meaningful names and properly documenting the code. I'm not sure how much the DDA team are concentrating on this aspect though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Very little. The DDA team is largely just merging in community contributions with little apparent oversight, and focusses more on new features while outstanding bugs and issues remain unresolved.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Wolf spiders are no longer are god drat nightmare.

Amen to that, but the game also seems a whole hell of a lot harder in general. Not that I'm complaining. Just got to be a bit more careful when wandering around. Also the map doesn't seem to save/carry over from character to character. 0.5, I would bring up the world map and it would show where all my previous characters had been.

Unless that was a bug. Or it's a bug that the map doesn't save. Which is it? :confused:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Amen to that, but the game also seems a whole hell of a lot harder in general. Not that I'm complaining. Just got to be a bit more careful when wandering around. Also the map doesn't seem to save/carry over from character to character. 0.5, I would bring up the world map and it would show where all my previous characters had been.

Unless that was a bug. Or it's a bug that the map doesn't save. Which is it? :confused:

It definitely uses the same world for different characters, I died and my new guy appeared in the same safehouse.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Am I the only one who's never had any problem with spiders? Early on, bash them with a nail board, once you get a gun just wait for them to come close and headshot them. I've never had a single character killed by spiders.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Roberto_Silencio posted:

That was indeed a bug. I believe if you closed the client between deaths the map would reset the fog of war which was probably the intended functioning.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Capilarean posted:

Am I the only one who's never had any problem with spiders? Early on, bash them with a nail board, once you get a gun just wait for them to come close and headshot them. I've never had a single character killed by spiders.

It's not that they were super difficult or anything, it's that if they caught you unprepared without a weapon that could crack their armor they would rip you to shreds incredibly fast. If you were just trying to use .22 or a bow then they would just laugh at you while filling you're brain with poison.

I've only died to one, but I learned they would gladly gently caress you up if given half a chance.

EDIT: The Calico M960 has a 20 round burst :stare:

That was not a happy thing to find out unexpectedly. I hope my guy had fun.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PiCroft posted:

One of the things the DDA team started one early on was an item factory and loading stuff from files, which makes adding new tools, ammo etc a cinch. I think addin repairable Kevlar and plastic would have taken longer without it.

I think the problem with going through the code and un-loving it would require a pretty massive undertaking, even if it were just to convert variables to meaningful names and properly documenting the code. I'm not sure how much the DDA team are concentrating on this aspect though.
After screwing around with the code for about two weeks now, I'm with you on that. I actually think you're kinda understating how bad it is. There's no way to unfuck spaghetti code this bad short of completely re-coding it from scratch. I kinda doubt they're planning to do anything about it, because it would take months during which they wouldn't be able to do anything else at all.

I kinda pity the poor sucker they're planning to hire as a full-time developer now.