Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PvtBaldrick
Nov 5, 2008

TheBlobThing posted:

What the hell is the Mike Nomad Experience? :confused:

I'm tired of these loving call of duty kids coming on my server and thinking they can talk poo poo! -Mike Nomad, 1938 - 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqJShsssng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_lm2x10Aj0

He runs his own little kingdom of the RGN servers, and constantly shouts over VOIP. He was a moderator on the TWI forums for a VERY brief time. I went through the RO2:HoS thread for some of the fallout from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

From Personal experience MYIS is a bunch of fuckwits, so there's one thing against him at least.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thank you for the Iwo Jima machine gunner tips guys. SA ate my post but I wanted to say that Machine Gunner is my favorite class and I try to play it everywhere so this helps a lot. I am usually able to prone by a rock and get a good firing line on a path that defenders take from spawn to the front line. And I can definitely suppress bunkers and defenders, but that doesn't seem to stop someone headshotting me.

I think it would be a slightly bit better if they improved how prone works for machine gunners. Sometimes when I prone it automatically wants to set it up. If I am still it sets up, and I usually move prone a bit and goes back to it's set up position. Sometimes I go prone and it isn't so I go to right click almost every time I go prone and mess it up. User error I guess but I wish they just wouldn't automatically have you set up the bipod as soon as you go prone.

Rising Storm has a ton of great maps and it's been great to never have to play on a tank map again.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Oh that's totally the guy who pitched a huge loving fit on the first day I played RS.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Playing Axis MG on Iwo is completely silly once you've unlocked the 2x scope. It's 20 minutes of whack-a-mole.

Also I got a 247m kill with Allied MG on that map :smug:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yeah, there is something about RS that RO2 just didn't have to the degree it needed to to help overlook the faults (not to mention broken promises.) And it's one word.

Charm.

There is just something charming about the combination of everything that went into this mod, and it comes together somehow and doesn't suck, and is actually quite a drat bit of fun. Realism servers 24/7.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think it's really just the maps aren't absolute garbage. Or because they actually have different colors instead of blue and grey.

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat
The RS map makers remembered:
A) Don't make every map a pool table
B) Dont make every map a to-the-meter accurate recreation of some real place
C) A map with lots of lips and edges is good map

You can almost always control your exposure on an RS map. In most RO2 maps, you either hide in a window sill or run in the open, which is really dumb when combined with RO2's responsive, lag-less weapons.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Patch dropped recently it seems

General:
Full Gore Enabled for German builds of the game
InB4Reset experience bonus has been turned off

Game Mode:
Fixed a bug where players who took over bots could not climb ladders
Fixed several cases where players who took over bots could end up in a stuttering state
Fixed a case where players were spawning outside of play area in FireFight
In Firefight, added Thompson SMG to automatic rifleman - Known Issue that this is not working on FF-Hanto
Fixed Engineers losing points destroying objectives on swapped team in Multiplayer Campaign

UI:
Fixed a case where the spawn selection menu would disappear
Fixed Role Screen placing you in another role when players spawned
Added a message to the commander that called a recon plane in that lets him know if his recon plane was shot down
Added a kill message when a recon plane is shot down

Weapon:
Fixed iron sights on the lvl 50 BAR putting the player into the cover state
Fixed BAR not being able to lean out of left or right cover with iron sights
Fixed lvl 50 Type99 LMG scoped mouse sensitivity being too low
Fixed a case where players lower body would not animate during machine gun reloads
Fixed an infinite fire exploit
Fixed machine guns breaking when taking over a bot in Countdown

Recon Plane:
Fixed the recon plane sometimes not spawning when called
Fixed the recon plane sometimes starting it’s path from the wrong location
Fixed recon planes getting stuck between rounds
Recon planes are now easier to shoot down
Shooting down the enemy recon plane no longer gives a negative score
Improved damage effects for when recon planes are damage or shot down
Modified the points awarded for killing a recon plane

Guadalcanal:
Objectives A and B now lock when captured.
Increased capture time of A and B from 15s to 20s.
Reduced capture time of C from 30s to 25s.
Fixed cover bugs.
Fixed missing / misplaced sounds.
Fixed a stationary MG at A that was too low

Hanto:
Increased capture time of the Base Camp (d) from 15s to 25s.
Fixed cover bugs.

Iwojima:
Objectives A and B now lock when captured.
Increased capture time of A and B from 15s to 20s.
Reduced capture time of C from 30s to 25s.
Fixed cover bugs.

Kwajalein:
Reduced Axis spawn time from 25s to 20s.
Modified the capture volume shape on the last objective slightly.
Cleaned up NoArtilleryVolumes.
Fixed cover bugs.
Peleliu:
All 3 fixed MGs will now spawn at the first two objectives instead of randomly picking 2.
Moved Axis spawn for the Airfield Defences (b) back about 20 meters.
Fixed cover bugs.

Barashka:
Fixed radios not working in Barashka 16p version

PunkBuster:
Update to server Punkbuster files to fix or greatly reduce the instances where full servers lag out for a short period of time and give a large amount of the clients on the server "speed hack detected" errors.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mega Comrade posted:

General:
Full Gore Enabled for German builds of the game

I'm kind of surprised by this. You know how Germany is about violence, and this game can be really brutal with the gore sometimes.

Also, I had no idea the recon plane could be shot down. I thought it just showed up to say "Hey, recon's up". Huh.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Wait.

How can you shoot down recon planes?

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
I always just shot at them for fun, I didn't actually know it would do anything.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Wait.

How can you shoot down recon planes?

Fully leveled type 99?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So do 'cover bugs' refer to when you go into cover and can find yourself on top of a building with eg an MG?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Carpet posted:

So do 'cover bugs' refer to when you go into cover and can find yourself on top of a building with eg an MG?

Hopefully that or when you go into cover you sink through the ground.

az
Dec 2, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm kind of surprised by this. You know how Germany is about violence, and this game can be really brutal with the gore sometimes.

Nope, it's just that violent video games can't be sold to teenagers. Steam is a huge bitch about it for some reason and just doesn't sell any violent games/versions in Germany period.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I didn't know you could shoot down recon planes until these patch notes, either. I figured out how to hit one with the .30 cal, but it got away, and then I actually killed one with the Type 99 LMG. You have to lead farther in front than you might expect. It's +10 points, if I recall correctly.

Speaking of the Type 99: it's more usable with the increased scope sensitivity, but I still find it easier to just ditch that upgrade on maps other than Peleliu and Iwo.

The best thing about this patch is that the semicolon spawn menu glitchy disappearing thing is fixed. Now you can properly and reliably update your choice while you're in the queue, instead of having to wrestle with the horrible broken menu.

edit: oh yeah, they also said that they're working on the spawn on SL invulnerability window thing. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but people get temporary invulnerability when they spawn on SL, which makes no sense and is a huge pain in the rear end if you're playing MG, sniper, or mortar. I actually once saw some guys spawn on SL, shot a mortar, and sent one flying up into the air. He landed and then ran off without an injury.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Haven't got time to play at the moment, but have they fixed the thing where you can't just press enter after you die, to select the previous or first spawn point? So much unnecessary mouse movement!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

An Enormous Boner posted:

The best thing about this patch is that the semicolon spawn menu glitchy disappearing thing is fixed. Now you can properly and reliably update your choice while you're in the queue, instead of having to wrestle with the horrible broken menu.

The glitch that's been in the game since day 1 of RO2? They literally only just fixed it now? oh jesus :lol::lol:

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

An Enormous Boner posted:

edit: oh yeah, they also said that they're working on the spawn on SL invulnerability window thing. I don't know if you guys have noticed, but people get temporary invulnerability when they spawn on SL, which makes no sense and is a huge pain in the rear end if you're playing MG, sniper, or mortar. I actually once saw some guys spawn on SL, shot a mortar, and sent one flying up into the air. He landed and then ran off without an injury.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I consider the entire game unplayable as-is.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Anybody have a clue to why my squadleader class wont level up? At the stats page it tells me i have over 6200 points out of the 4100 needed to level to LV5. :confused:

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 22, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

schizopol posted:

I'm glad you brought this up, because I consider the entire game unplayable as-is.

You find the game unplayable because of a short invulnerability window? I don't like it either but that seems a bit of a ridiculous statement.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

schizopol posted:

I'd never even noticed it before, I've spawned into bombardments and died almost immediately so it can't be that big a deal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Unless the squad leader is kissing you on the forehead the enemy has to move forward to attack, which kills the very brief invuln window. I think I might have been set back a bit by it, once. But that's it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Anybody have a clue to why my squadleader class wont level up? At the stats page it tells me i have over 6200 points out of the 4100 needed to level to LV5. :confused:

Gotta get more honor points I imagine. For some reason honor was bugged for me for a few days and I generated none.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

You find the game unplayable because of a short invulnerability window? I don't like it either but that seems a bit of a ridiculous statement.

I didn't really mean to come off as acrimonious towards the developers or anything, and I didn't want to go into it b/c this is just a bug, TWI is already working on it.

Succinctly, it destroys the entire flow of gameplay, especially in the thick foliage on Guadalcanal and Hanto, by making squad leaders a bit too difficult to root out and kill. It also gives an absurd combination of attackers advantage/element of suprise/invisible invuln to those who choose to spawn inside of a live firefight. Combine that with the barnstorming mortar-propelled paraptroopers and the game is just silly to try and play seriously, based on this one, seemingly benign, mistake.

Players know what they're risking when they choose a forward spawn, they need to coordinate with the SL to make sure they aren't spawning in awful, exposed positions. Revamp the spawn/squad interfaces, let squads kick careless/uncooperative squad leaders (the role vote system in HoS was disastrous for this, because the squad UI stuff was buried), maybe give the squad leader an icon on on his tactical HUD\compass\map which shows the respawn area. In general, fix the issue by making it easier to work together, so player squads will cover their ground as a unit. Don't give fresh respawns a magical mulligan at the expense of their enemies on the field.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 26, 2013

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen
You don't need to level the Arisaka rifles to get the wings, just set your range to more than 200m (iirc).

e: I tested it and i'm actually wrong, you flip up the AA sight but leave the wings up for some reason! :notmypresident:

Ray fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 23, 2013

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Playing this some more I can't say I'm happy being the permanent bolt-action underclass. The Springfield doesn't even get a bayonet.

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen
Bolt action rifles are fine weapons, but it can really put you off the game only playing it at first. It really sucks that the first choice of class goes to the fastest loader. Unless it's you, and you can grab SL1 and get all the points :getin:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Well, I'm freeloading off my RO2 Deluxe edition.

edit: In truth I uninstalled the game before my previous post, being very put off by being stuck with the bolt-actions. The game is not too bad but I don't think I will buy it unless I can get it very cheap.

Wooper fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 23, 2013

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Is there an unlocks guide anywhere? I'm curious as to how much longer I have to grind for my M1 bayonet.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

I'm not sure but I'm only level 7 with mine and I've already got one on there

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Wooper posted:

Playing this some more I can't say I'm happy being the permanent bolt-action underclass. The Springfield doesn't even get a bayonet.

The unscoped m1903 works much better with the level 25 bayonet. I won't say I prefer any one rifle, but the pop of the springfield sounds more like a muffler backfiring, which feels the most startling, bizarrely enough.

frameset posted:

Is there an unlocks guide anywhere? I'm curious as to how much longer I have to grind for my M1 bayonet.

This is on your main menu under Profiles & Achievements, but the M1 Garand gets a bayonet at 25 and the 'ping trick' at 50.

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I'm not sure but I'm only level 7 with mine and I've already got one on there

digital deezlux edition

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 26, 2013

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Ray posted:

Bolt action rifles are fine weapons, but it can really put you off the game only playing it at first. It really sucks that the first choice of class goes to the fastest loader. Unless it's you, and you can grab SL1 and get all the points :getin:

Hehe, bolt-action rifles are the king of weapons in this game! Absolutely love them, getting a kill is so satisfying. I pretty much only use the rifleman class.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I had a wonderful experience in a server last night with my friends. We had a very patriotic (and sometimes racist) Allies team. We all sang the Star Spangled Banner in sync over public voice then I played country music and classic rock over public. It was a good night.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ularg posted:

I had a wonderful experience in a server last night with my friends. We had a very patriotic (and sometimes racist) Allies team. We all sang the Star Spangled Banner in sync over public voice then I played country music and classic rock over public. It was a good night.

That sounds horrible and I hope you quit playing this game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ularg posted:

How many times did they try to kick you?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Sometime I really wish this game had a face so I could punch it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

How many times did they try to kick you?

Zero. Everyone was requesting songs. Our team was happy being really stupid while playing and the other team was happy because they won more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So many goddamn tryhards. It is still a fun game though, I'm enjoying the hell out of the maps and the difference between sides. I'm finding it way easier to get kills with the Garand, but my score is always so much lower than if I'm playing using the light mortar.

So what's the difference between the two first bolt-action rifles that you see as a Japanese Rifleman?

• Locked thread