Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Hail also followed Jimmy Hart around after the fall of WCW, Hart feeling that he was potentially a big star waiting to happen. Nothing did and he struggled to get bookings on indie shows. He died in 2006 at the age of 36.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I was going to tell my favorite story about the reboot episode, but I can't find it...might not have been a part of that one.

Anyway, it was at the top of the show, with the camera on the announcers doing their rundown. Behind them is a fan in purple shorts, with his whole body painted green, and a sign that said "ONLY ONE HULK."

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

VogeGandire posted:

He chose Steven Regal at first, but found out someone else was using the name before him, so when he came to WWE, he saw a chance to change the name again.

Perhaps that would be Steve "Mr. Electricity" Regal from the AWA, who then he went to NWA and jobbed in WWE.
Notable for his feuds with Buck "Rock n' Roll" Zumhoffe and tag teaming with "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin. (they actually beat the Road Warriors for the AWA Tag Titles at one point thanks to the Freebirds)

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Wait what. Reboot episode? How did I miss this back then? Can someone explain to me what this was? Did they just stop all story lines and do a true reboot like is done in comics, or what?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Perfidus posted:

Wait what. Reboot episode? How did I miss this back then? Can someone explain to me what this was? Did they just stop all story lines and do a true reboot like is done in comics, or what?

All titles were stripped and all storylines were scrapped. It was a Brand New Day for WCW!

Mexican Samurai
Nov 12, 2005
I remember back in 1999, I used to listen to an old cable radio show called "Squared Circle with the Shadow Man" in which the host would have live callers who talked about WWE, WCW, and ECW. During one of the weeks they had Mark Madden as a guest on the show (Madden was the color commentator at this point and this was a month before the reboot with Bischoff and Russo) and this was during the time when WCW was really directionless under Russo's reign.

I remember Shadow Man and his crew pitching ideas to Madden who said that he was more than willing to take any at that point. The radio host told him about these ideas which came from various callers:

Sting vs. Vampiro (Facepaint feud)
Rookies vs. Veterans.
Getting Mike Awesome into WCW.

I just thought it was uncanny that a few weeks later this would come into fruition. It makes me think just how much say Mark Madden had in the writing committee. Was he a writer for the show?

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Emory Hale was also The Machine, of "DDP Vs The Machine" fame. :pseudo:

e: gently caress

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

All titles were stripped and all storylines were scrapped. It was a Brand New Day for WCW!

Arguably it did result in Ultimate Kevin Nash.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't care, I loved the idea of the reboot episode. WCW had so much awful poo poo coming out of 1999, it was time for a whole new set of awful poo poo!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The best part of the reboot was how Eric Bischoff got to look like a bad-rear end.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The Reboot episode is also where Bischoff's infamous "scissors" line came from, so there's always that.

Fakeedit: I SAID...

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

oldpainless posted:

The best part of the reboot was how Eric Bischoff got to look like a bad-rear end.
Eric Bischoff ISN'T a badass? Listen to this song written in his honor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6gq2QIbz0

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Arguably it did result in Ultimate Kevin Nash.

What the hell is Ultimate Kevin Nash? Did he absorb Scott Hall and Buff Bagwell into his body and then start shooting fireballs?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

What the hell is Ultimate Kevin Nash? Did he absorb Scott Hall and Buff Bagwell into his body and then start shooting fireballs?

No he is a Super Shredder.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

Perigryn posted:

Eric Bischoff ISN'T a badass? Listen to this song written in his honor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6gq2QIbz0

Going back to this song's debut on AYS, I lose it every time at "Con-tro-ver-sy cre-ates CASH!"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The line that always gets me is "Kicks with his feet, punches you with hands, fires you via Fed-Ex when you can't work a PPV."

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

triplexpac posted:

I don't care, I loved the idea of the reboot episode. WCW had so much awful poo poo coming out of 1999, it was time for a whole new set of awful poo poo!

Yeah, but who are going to play Enzo, Dot and Bob?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I remember before the reboot episodes they had best-of episodes of Thunder and Nitro. At one point the Thunder one made a jump from 1998 to 2000 and starting showing stuff that happened two and three loving weeks ago. It's like they started a best-of Thunder show, got bored of combing through old footage and said "gently caress it, stick in a bunch of poo poo from last month. No one is watching anyway."

I actually miss Thunder a lot more than I miss Nitro because I'm in Canada, so I didn't have to worry about it getting bumped around the schedule. At one point TSN was airing Nitro on Wednesday afternoons.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 25, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So in WCW news they are putting out a War Games Match collection on DVD and Blu-Ray today in stores. Relive Sycho Sid bouncing a guy off the roof and some other stuff I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

So in WCW news they are putting out a War Games Match collection on DVD and Blu-Ray today in stores. Relive Sycho Sid bouncing a guy off the roof and some other stuff I guess.

That DVD lloks awesome and so is War Games. Also that match with Brian Pillman is amazing and worth a watch. In fact most War Games are worth a watch.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I support anything that gets Larry Zbysko royalty money

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If only because it keeps him from making GBS threads up wrestling by appearing for anybody.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How dare you say that Larry Zbysko could do anything but make a wrestling show the best thing ever

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

He is the Living Legend for a reason.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Sooooo pumped to get it in the mail today. I'm really surprised wwe waited so long to release dangerous alliance vs stingers squadron. There have been so many chances before with all the big names in that match.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The American Dream posted:

Sooooo pumped to get it in the mail today. I'm really surprised wwe waited so long to release dangerous alliance vs stingers squadron. There have been so many chances before with all the big names in that match.

It's probably on the unreleased Sting DVD set that WWE has had finished for like 9 years but is sitting on for Sting's eventual WWE debut

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

It's probably on the unreleased Sting DVD set that WWE has had finished for like 9 years but is sitting on for Sting's eventual WWE debut

Sting debuts, special guest Austin stuns him. Sting gets released.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Snacksmaniac posted:

Sting debuts, special guest Austin stuns him. Sting gets released.

I'll pay an extra $10 for the HD feed.

Don't know if it's been posted in the other threads but Ollies is selling a bunch of 7-8 year old dvd's for $3-$5. Ollie's is a closeout store in the northeast, think Big Lots meets the flea market. They have Jake the Snake, Ladder Match 1, Ultimate Warrior with the bonus disc, Round table Flair/Funk, Slaughter/JYD, WM 22, SS 04, Hogan Anthology, Bloodiest Cage Matches

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The American Dream posted:

I'll pay an extra $10 for the HD feed.

Don't know if it's been posted in the other threads but Ollies is selling a bunch of 7-8 year old dvd's for $3-$5. Ollie's is a closeout store in the northeast, think Big Lots meets the flea market. They have Jake the Snake, Ladder Match 1, Ultimate Warrior with the bonus disc, Round table Flair/Funk, Slaughter/JYD, WM 22, SS 04, Hogan Anthology, Bloodiest Cage Matches

Thanks for the tip - I'm in for Ladder Match 1

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

How dare you say that Larry Zbysko could do anything but make a wrestling show the best thing ever

We are all just beings of light, brother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Larry rules, Tuesday Nitro rules, Lizardmen rule (the shadow government.)

NITRO IN 10 MINUTES, THE BAD GUY DEBUTS

http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

bartok
May 10, 2006

Did Ed Leslie ever have a match as The Disciple? Thinking back on it I can't remember a single one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I clearly remember one match where he asked for the crowds support in getting behind him and promptly lost clean to Disco inferno.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

I clearly remember one match where he asked for the crowds support in getting behind him and promptly lost clean to Disco inferno.

Here's a match for the Cruiserweight title, though I don't see much of him asking for the crowd's support: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xghee3_disco-inferno-vs-disciple_sport#.UcskkdiCkuc

Jesus Christ, WCW had a disco gimmick in 1996, making Saturday Night Fever puns.

Notes:
- The announcer actually refers to him as "Dizzy Brutus Boulder the Beefcake Zodiac Booty Butcher Barber Disciple"
- Apparently this is a warm-up for Halloween Havoc featuring Disco Inferno v. Lash Leroux
- Holy poo poo what an awful neckbreaker.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would expect a guy called "The Disciple" to look scarier than that. Disciple of what, hair metal?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Here's a match for the Cruiserweight title, though I don't see much of him asking for the crowd's support: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xghee3_disco-inferno-vs-disciple_sport#.UcskkdiCkuc

Jesus Christ, WCW had a disco gimmick in 1996, making Saturday Night Fever puns.

And he was so loving over you wouldn't believe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I would expect a guy called "The Disciple" to look scarier than that. Disciple of what, hair metal?

No the OWN. The One Warrior Nation. Looking it up it was also to Hogan

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 26, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, that makes perfect sense, then.

In fact, if a dude went around preaching about embracing destrucity and Warriorness and how it relates to wearing outfits made of cut-up Zubaz, it would be funny, because he couldn't help making more sense than Warrior.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

And he owns. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He did, but it wasn't really because of the gimmick. I think Gilbertti would have gotten over just by being Gilbertti.