Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
So I went to check out what shirt I would be getting from last week's episode, and this is the picture:

Is that one of the Culkin boys? 'Cause that's all I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just got the welcoming committee joke after watching the episode last night. :downs: .

This was a filler episode but a really good filler episode. Everyone else pointed out all the best gags, but I'm glad they referred to a pyrrhic victory in the Greek episode.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The first thing that came to my mind with the people on the boat with Kano were the Monarch's parents. The woman looked like his mom in the photo, at least.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was a good episode and the Harryhausen tribute was loving amazing.

It was a fantastic episode. It had claymation St. Cloud and Dr. Venture, with Pete White dressed as a flying nun, and bursting into flames. We saw Brock's illegitimate kids, and got a scientology joke.

What more do you people need?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

Kingtheninja posted:

The first thing that came to my mind with the people on the boat with Kano were the Monarch's parents. The woman looked like his mom in the photo, at least.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, all this vintage Venture stuff really made me want to know more about Jackie Kennedy's second marriage, and it hilariously checks out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Kennedy_Onassis#Onassis_marriage

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's weird to me that people don't like Saint Cloud. He's a great villain for the series because of how petty and shortsighted he is and how he tries to gain status from attaining the things that ruined Docs life and that he doesn't even find interesting anymore.

Also I apologize for the typo in the thread title. Don't blame the mods, that was all me :blush:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
While the season is only 8 episodes, there's the Halloween episode which was removed, which makes 9, and then there's that the premiere was double length which makes 10, and the finale will probably be double length again like the last season, making 11.

And last season, we got 8 episodes, then a full 9 month break, before getting the final 8 of which one of them was double-length. So basically what I'm saying is this season isn't really as short as it seems at first glance.

And I have to say, I still love that St Cloud "collected" an albino to match Pete White.

axleblaze posted:

It's weird to me that people don't like Saint Cloud. He's a great villain for the series because of how petty and shortsighted he is and how he tries to gain status from attaining the things that ruined Docs life and that he doesn't even find interesting anymore.

Also I apologize for the typo in the thread title. Don't blame the mods, that was all me :blush:

I'm just waiting until we finally have all the incidental characters in "Tag Sale – You're It!" revealed as full characters. With St Cloud becoming one I think we're like halfway there now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Install Gentoo posted:

I'm just waiting until we finally have all the incidental characters in "Tag Sale – You're It!" revealed as full characters. With St Cloud becoming one I think we're like halfway there now.

Much rarer than your domestic albino.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Install Gentoo posted:

Well we do know from the season trailer that plug faced guy is making an appearance, so this might be more likely than you think.

We just need an episode featuring the guy from Depeche Mode.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

axleblaze posted:

Well we do know from the season trailer that plug faced guy is making an appearance, so this might be more likely than you think.

We just need an episode featuring the guy from Depeche Mode.

There is no way in hell Dave Gahan isn't in the Guild.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Red posted:

It was a fantastic episode. It had claymation St. Cloud and Dr. Venture, with Pete White dressed as a flying nun, and bursting into flames. We saw Brock's illegitimate kids, and got a scientology joke.

What more do you people need?

Little hooks and clues about things that they can autist over.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

axleblaze posted:

I think he's the perfect arch for Conjectural Tech. Season 4 hinted at how frivolous Pete and Billy are when they get a chunk of money. St. Cloud is what they would be if they had unlimited funds and no ethics.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

I think he's the perfect arch for Conjectural Tech. Season 4 hinted at how frivolous Pete and Billy are when they get a chunk of money. St. Cloud is what they would be if they had unlimited funds and no ethics.

Billy would buy all that stuff and put it in a museum for everyone to enjoy. :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Billy would buy all that stuff and put it in a museum for everyone to enjoy. :colbert:

I don't remember the robo-Bo Duke museum. :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

St Cloud's voice drives me nuts because it sounds exactly like Hank.

Other than that, I'm fine with him.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sash! posted:

It's Hank doing a comic book guy impression.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Great episode, even if only for the revelation that L. Ron Hubbard is a ghost inhabiting a robot body (Perhaps maybe a connection to that Ghost Robot superhero?) and also a super-villain.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!

Sash! posted:

I don't really hear the Hank in his voice. I think it's a great fit for his character. Maybe I'm just weird. :shrug::

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Action Tortoise posted:

It's Hank doing a comic book guy impression.

And in Harryhausen mode it's just a bunch of incoherent laconic moans and grumbles. That cracked me right up.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

Great episode, even if only for the revelation that L. Ron Hubbard is a ghost inhabiting a robot body (Perhaps maybe a connection to that Ghost Robot superhero?) and also a super-villain.

Theatan :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

axleblaze posted:

I wouldn't even call him a villain. He's just a petty prick.

He allows for a petty antagonist for these sorts of plots.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A pretty good episode, but I'm kind of sad we're almost at halfway point.

And yeah, the stinger (until the last few seconds) for this episode is hilariously jarring. Instead of just hinting and showing us dick we see the true grim nature of Jonas Venture.

Poor Rusty.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I have no idea if it's supposed to be connected to Ghost Robot, but the "video face in robot body chest" thing is a take-off on Arnim Zola from Captain America.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

tacyak posted:

I don't really hear the Hank in his voice. I think it's a great fit for his character. Maybe I'm just weird. :shrug::

Me either, I don't hear Hank at all.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

tacyak posted:

Not weird, neurotypical.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to rewatch the entire series and I started with the Pilot and while I like the pilot it contains so many elements I'm glad they moved away from. I really dislike the way Brock fits in with the family in the pilot and early on in general. In the pilot they have this weird thing where it's clear Doc has a thing for Brock and Brock could care less and that just didn't work. Also Brock's complete not giving a poo poo aobut he boys and Doc was also just kind of bad. It was much b etter when they made him give a poo poo but also had hm feel contempt. It made hm a much better character.

It's odd in the pilot that Doc is competent but just bitter and full of hate. It's good they moved him away from completely hating the boys and more towards apathy and self centeredness.

I'm also glad they decided to not make Dr. Girlfriend a man (which she is in the pilot) and that they moved away from Monarch not understanding how Butterflies work. It's much funnier to have him embrace his stupid persona rather than have the implication that he chose it without understanding it. The latter is good for on episode of jokes while the latter is always funny.

It's also funny that in the pilot White is a scientist that became an albino through a failed experiment.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

kas posted:

The thing I love about Gary being 'The Viceroy' is that there's an actual butterfly called the Viceroy which has evolved to look like the (poisonous) Monarch butterfly so it won't get eaten by predators. It's brilliant, really - he was just so into the henching for the Monarch thing that when he finally goes out on his own, the name he picks isn't just great because he's imitating what he's learned from the Monarch, and a real viceroy would serve under a monarch, but also because it's the name of a lovely imitation of the same-named butterfly as well.

EDIT: REALLY? Beaten on this by one post? Goddamn. :(

I don't know why the Viceroy-Monarch connection never occurred to me, but it is awesome.

Also, while Viceroys were long thought to be the only beneficiary of having evolved to look like a Monarch, Monarchs benefit too. Turns out both butterflies are toxic, so they end up working to each other's mutual benefit.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I just got a friend of mine hooked on this show. I made the mistake of showing them the pilot first (Netflix)... luckily they took my word for it and hung with it and likes the show now.

It really was jarring how different the pilot is from... well, everything.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think Brisbyland and Tag Sale are the best gateway episodes for the first season.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will say my favorite joke in the pilot is how Doc shows a device that all it does is melt a model city and he doesn't understand how people could think it's a weapons, yet it's never explained what he thinks it is actually supposed to be used for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike Danger posted:

I have no idea if it's supposed to be connected to Ghost Robot, but the "video face in robot body chest" thing is a take-off on Arnim Zola from Captain America.

It has nothing to do with ghost robot. It's all about scientology and making fun of that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Maybe L Ron is secretly Ghost Robot's father.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
E: sorry, doublepost

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red posted:

I don't remember the robo-Bo Duke museum. :colbert:

That's because Robo-Bo isn't an actual piece of pop-culture memorabilia, it's just something created after the fact for fans to enjoy. :colbert:

Sash! posted:

To me, he's 1/3 Hank, 1/3 Jonas Jr., and 1/3 The Outrider.

God dammit, Jackson Publick (i.e. Chris McCulloch, which I didn't know until, like, last season) stop doing more voices! Like...I know they have a tight budget, and saving on VAs lets them do high-quality animation, but seriously, at least let one of the other guys do another voice. James is a much more talented and versatile VA, why not give him another role? Or Steven Rattazzi (Orpheus)? Hell, even though he literally only has one voice, I'd accept Patrick Warburton doing another character before another loving Jackson Public one.

Though to his credit, at least The Monarch sounds totally different...but really, he has either The Monarch, or Not-The-Monarch voices.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

To me, he's 1/3 Hank, 1/3 Jonas Jr., and 1/3 The Outrider.

God dammit, Jackson Publick (i.e. Chris McCulloch, which I didn't know until, like, last season) stop doing more voices! Like...I know they have a tight budget, and saving on VAs lets them do high-quality animation, but seriously, at least let one of the other guys do another voice. James is a much more talented and versatile VA, why not give him another role?

So he sounds like 1/3 a Chris McCulloch character, 1/3 a James Urbaniak character, and 1/3 a Doc Hammer character?

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

axleblaze posted:

Saint Cloud reminds me very much of the moppets. I don't like either of them, but they're most likely here to stay in some capacity or other. I guess I don't like him because he feels, at least at the moment, like he has zero depth. Sure he collects things, but it all pretty much boils down to the fact that he wants whatever everyone else wants, provided he has exclusivity. He has very little imagination and I'd place him on the slightly irritating side, even though I couldn't quite place my finger on why.

On a similar note, I've never really been a huge fan of Billy and White. Not to say that I dislike them, they're usually pretty neutral and they do have some very good moments. Perhaps the combination of them plus an arch that acts as kind of a foil for them in some respects is why I feel pretty meh to the episode overall.

In regards to the beginning of the show and whatnot, I'd have to say that looking back there were some really weird things that seem a bit off putting when I know the characters as I know them now. The show's characters have developed so much while still maintaining their persona. It always amazes me how much everything has changed given the number of episodes and the length of each one. Jackson and Doc seem to be able to cram so much into each episode that it almost feels a travesty that they don't have more time to flesh all the crazy ideas that they have out. I wouldn't want to think about how long the gaps between seasons would be if they had to write 26 one hour episodes each season though!

Finally, put me down for missing Dr. Orpheus and crew as well as I'm a big fan of Dr. O. Thankfully, Hank, Gary, and my main man the Monarch are putting in great performances during the Triad's absence. Come to think of it, assuming that Dr. Orpheus still lives on Venture property, I find it odd that he didn't appear even briefly in the premier episode. Surely that would have been significantly different enough to warrant a check.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

thexerox123 posted:

So he sounds like 1/3 a Chris McCulloch character, 1/3 a James Urbaniak character, and 1/3 a Doc Hammer character?

...huh...

I could have sworn The Outrider was a Chris/Publick character.

All the more reason to get another VA! The main guys are even starting to sound like each other!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

thrakkorzog posted:

They've shown before that the original Rusty Venture stories were really loving dark, cleaned up for kids, and whitewashed Jonas Sr.

Having Jonas Sr., Col. Gentleman, and Action Man beating the poo poo out of some poor pirates who felt pity for Rusty, and taking an eye. That seems more in character than seeing Jonas Sr. taking a cheerful a 'no harm, no foul' attitude.

If anything, it explains the appeal of The Guild. If the 'good guys' are going around acting like mobsters with impunity, then it's time to bring some parity to the situation.

It also somewhat explains the Guilds respect for him. It apparently wasn't due to him just being a super swell guy.

I lost it when Pete was lit on fire by the sun.

Harry fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 24, 2013

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Last night while watching; a theory came to me that left me seeing this episode as not just useful, but actually a really deep look into the character of Rusty. Ironically, I think it probably did more to address WHY Rusty acts how he acts than the episode where we literally climbed inside his head in season four.

He is rocking the same hairstyle as after his father died, which means he was probably drifting around aimlessly during this period until he washed back up for Spanakopita! We have seen him fully abandon his responsibilities after the death of Hank and Dean in season 1 as well; making this a character trait, and in season four we learned that he is actually haunted by the many deaths of his sons, so we know that Hank and Dean dying hit him probably about as hard as his dad's death.

Rusty first discovered Spanakopita! when he "washed" up there, spent his first three fun days of his life having a solo adventure, and then his father came and rescued him after their period of separation. Finally as soon as his dad is dead and separated from Rusty forever, he winds up back at the first place he ever recalls being separated from his father and pays them out the rear end to tie him to a loving chair, something he gets every other day of his life pretty much. All of this is fact.

Why is he doing this? Because subconsciously this whole episode for him is just an excuse to wait for Jonas Sr. to come rescue him from his pathetic broke life, and to take on the mantle of super scientist that Rusty feels he can't live up to. Of course consciously he doesn't really suspect that Jonas can come rescue him, which is why he leaves each year in peace to return to his real life after three days. I speculate however that that is the reason that Rusty always comes back next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Maybe L Ron is secretly Ghost Robot's father.

Not only experiencing the pain of being a ghost who is also a robot, but a scientologist to boot? That would be too much for anyone to bear.