Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The only thing I can tell you is I'm pretty sure it had a blue flag of some kind on the tail. Wish I could be more help, I'm surprised I've created such a mystery! Sorry my cell phone camera sucks too, haha.

Could it not be French?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OptimusMatrix posted:

Here's that Dayton crash from two different vantages.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5e5_1371922689

Yeah, this is not abstract plane crash video, it's low and close. I would advise skipping it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The only thing I can tell you is I'm pretty sure it had a blue flag of some kind on the tail. Wish I could be more help, I'm surprised I've created such a mystery! Sorry my cell phone camera sucks too, haha.

Australia? New Zealand?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LOO posted:

Could it not be French?

Wrong roundel. Honestly it looks like a British roundel, but they don't have a blue flag.

Ola posted:

Australia? New Zealand?

Neither fly E-3s. USAF, Britain, France, Saudi Arabia, NATO. That's why it's so weird...it doesn't match any of them. Time to go through my facebook friends and make sure I don't know anyone else who's gone up to Seattle.

Edit: Even seeing which engines it has would narrow it down, or being able to tell if that's actually a refueling probe.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ola posted:

Australia? New Zealand?

As I said earlier, it looks exactly how a RAAF E-3 would look, but they fly 737 wedges for their early warning. The only other thing I can think of is if it's been painted like that for use as a movie prop, but that seems unlikely.

e: Realistically, the most likely plane it is, would be a Saudi E-3 with the overcast grey casting the green flag & roundel to look blue (the other distinguishing feature would be the arabic text, but that area is beneath what looks like some scaffolding). I guess it's also possible it's a new RAF livery (it's an anniversary year, so repainting planes wouldn't be too surprising). p. sure it's not a USAF E-3 as they all appear to have the chin radar added by now.

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 23, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ola posted:

Australia? New Zealand?

:lol: at the idea of New Zealand having a functional Air Force, much less an AWACS (no, a couple P-3s, Hercs, and helos does not constitute a functional air force.)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Royal_New_Zealand_Air_Force

You weren't really exaggerating.

Helos, some transports, trainers and a handful of king airs.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

slidebite posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Royal_New_Zealand_Air_Force

You weren't really exaggerating.

Helos, some transports, trainers and a handful of king airs.

Don't forget the 2 757s!

Really it's kind of sad, because up until 2001 they flew A-4s and MB-339s, and had plans to buy some Block 15 F-16s. Not exactly top of the line or anything but considering the size/population of the country nothing to sneeze at either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kByY0KnM9xk

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 23, 2013

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Eldest daughter and I dropped momma and baby sister off at DTW this morning for a flight to Atlanta. Since it was early and we had the whole day ahead of us, we decided to park off the 94 service drive and watch some airplanes come in. Saw a shitload of boring CRJs, a couple of heavier liners I couldn't ID, and a Mad Dog. We also watched a Delta 767 (I think) idle for a while letting the smaller planes come in then spool up and take off. We saw the Mad Dog early, and every CRJ that came in after (which, to a three year old sorta looks like a Mad Dog) she'd wave at and shout "Hello, Mad Dog!"

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

iyaayas01 posted:

Don't forget the 2 757s!

Really it's kind of sad, because up until 2001 they flew A-4s and MB-339s, and had plans to buy some Block 15 F-16s. Not exactly top of the line or anything but considering the size/population of the country nothing to sneeze at either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kByY0KnM9xk

Yeah as much as I'm dismayed at the loss of our Air Force, on a pragmatic level it makes so much sense. There's a near-zero chance we'll be involved in any sort of conflict that doesn't draw in our allies (Aus, U.S. (yes I know about ANZUS blah blah) U.K. etc) who have more than enough air assets between them to make up for our lack of them. In any sort of Multi-lateral intervention/peacekeeping situation we are drawn into, we simply pull our weight in other areas while not having to pay for the upkeep of a permanent strike force. It's not ideal but it make some sense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SybilVimes posted:

As I said earlier, it looks exactly how a RAAF E-3 would look, but they fly 737 wedges for their early warning. The only other thing I can think of is if it's been painted like that for use as a movie prop, but that seems unlikely.

e: Realistically, the most likely plane it is, would be a Saudi E-3 with the overcast grey casting the green flag & roundel to look blue (the other distinguishing feature would be the arabic text, but that area is beneath what looks like some scaffolding). I guess it's also possible it's a new RAF livery (it's an anniversary year, so repainting planes wouldn't be too surprising). p. sure it's not a USAF E-3 as they all appear to have the chin radar added by now.

I think this theory is the closest we'll get to an answer. It's definitely not USAF. Also, yeah the chin antenna (it's not a radar) has been in place on all USAF E-3s for at least 15 years. There's also a tiny one at the tail. They're part of the Passive Detection System (along with the "cheeks").

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Holy poo poo, I just finished reading the whole thread. :shepface:

Gotta repost this:

I would love to see these!

They've not arrived yet, but I've got some shots from RAF Fairford in about 1993 (I think):

First visit from a TU-95 to the UK. They were going to fly it, but it spooled up one of it's engines, there was a loud "phut" and a puff of blue smoke, and that was the end of the display:

A Bear and a BUFF

Amazing to think that just 5 years before, the only British people who got to see a TU-95 at all (let alone this close) were Tornado pilots making less-than-friendly interceptions over the North Sea

Fulcrums! The only aircraft at the time (and maybe still) that was capable of making a 3-point turn in mid-air.

I'll tell my dad to get his act together with the vintage airliners.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Axeman Jim posted:

Fulcrums! The only aircraft at the time (and maybe still) that was capable of making a 3-point turn in mid-air.

What do you mean by this? I'm just an enthusiast and never heard this term before that I can recall.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

jaegerx posted:

What do you mean by this? I'm just an enthusiast and never heard this term before that I can recall.

I'm trying to find video, but I'm guessing it's where the pilot begins a loop, then throttles back to let gravity take over, then throttles back up to finish the loop.

Mig-29 has very powerful engines and doesn't seem to give a gently caress about angle of attack.

edit: Wing stall? What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF345YYCWeE

edit 2: Mind you, Russians have rather a worse record for accidents at airshows than American teams.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 24, 2013

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

So basically a bad cobra maneuver. Cobra from what I understand has a good effect in radar evasion since you basically stop moving and most radar systems ignore under a certain kph.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm trying to find video, but I'm guessing it's where the pilot begins a loop, then throttles back to let gravity take over, then throttles back up to finish the loop.

Mig-29 has very powerful engines and doesn't seem to give a gently caress about angle of attack.

edit: Wing stall? What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF345YYCWeE

edit 2: Mind you, Russians have rather a worse record for accidents at airshows than American teams.

:stare:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
MY GIRLFRIEND and I had the opportunity to get a ride in a Navy N3N that a friend owns. This was both of our first time at the controls of an aircraft, and it was a loving blast. Did some basic turns and some minor high-g banks and rolls. A++ would fly again.

My 318 felt so smooth after riding in it, because of how it vibrated. I need to learn how to fly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

jaegerx posted:

So basically a bad cobra maneuver. Cobra from what I understand has a good effect in radar evasion since you basically stop moving and most radar systems ignore under a certain kph.

This is only true in certain circumstances, which generally dont apply when missiles are in the air.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 24, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Isn't the r/w/b MiG-29 in that vid the OVT display type? Not exactly standard issue.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.

jaegerx posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The MiG 29's party trick was to fly straight up, throttle back until it was basically hovering, then throttle back some more and effectively fly "backwards" in a tail-slide. The pilot would then pull back, toppling the plane over backwards in a stall, then kick the engines back in, going back the way they came.

The propaganda at the time claimed this manoeuvre could dodge missiles or force pursuing aircraft to overshoot, similar to the Harrier's "viff", but more likely it was just something fun to do at airshows (or a really special way to write off a fighter jet if you mess it up, which was known to happen).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Axeman Jim posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The MiG 29's party trick was to fly straight up, throttle back until it was basically hovering, then throttle back some more and effectively fly "backwards" in a tail-slide. The pilot would then pull back, toppling the plane over backwards in a stall, then kick the engines back in, going back the way they came.

The propaganda at the time claimed this manoeuvre could dodge missiles or force pursuing aircraft to overshoot, similar to the Harrier's "viff", but more likely it was just something fun to do at airshows (or a really special way to write off a fighter jet if you mess it up, which was known to happen).

Pretty sure that sort of tale slide is doable by plenty of planes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Pretty sure that sort of tale slide is doable by plenty of planes.

Most 4th gen fighters have some super maneuverability. Basically if you have a thrust to weight ratio greater than 1 theres all sorts of stunts you can do but they only get really useful if you have thurst vectoring. Pugachev's cobra looks cool but mostly is a way to commit suicide in a dogfight (speed = life). A J-turn might be useful though.

I'm not sure that a fighter in actual combat with a full fuel and missile load and external tanks would be able to do any of these maneuvers. Not that dog fights are likely to happen at all these days.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Being able to maneuver like that means you can point your missile rails, and guns, in the right direction. There's some use to it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nerobro posted:

Being able to maneuver like that means you can point your missile rails, and guns, in the right direction. There's some use to it.

ACtually very little. They have more than enough nose authority, especially with thrust vectoring, to be able to point themselves wherever they want without doing a zero airspeed maneuver which is overall a pretty bad idea in an air-to-air engagement. The Cobra maneuver really is just something to show off at airshows and as pointed out already to spectacularly write off a very expensive aircraft.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You can let the missiles do the turning anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nerobro posted:

In a dogfight gen 4.5 and 5 fighters only have to point their nose within 40 degrees or so of the enemy to use heat seeking missiles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

In a dogfight gen 4.5 and 5 fighters only have to point their nose within 40 degrees or so of the enemy to use heat seeking missiles.

With previous-generation equipment, yeah. But helmet-cuing systems and high off-boresight missiles (ie, JHMCS and AIM-9X) are going to ensure there's never other real within-visual-range engagement that's not a suicide run by one party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4_jzqBJnA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

With previous-generation equipment, yeah. But helmet-cuing systems and high off-boresight missiles (ie, JHMCS and AIM-9X) are going to ensure there's never other real within-visual-range engagement that's not a suicide run by one party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g4_jzqBJnA

Uh, that's what I said. That demo was apparently only 22 degrees off bore sight too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, that's what I said. That demo was apparently only 22 degrees off bore sight too.

That's not what you said at all. 40* off centerline is nothing if we're talking modern IR weapons. That's 1970s/80s capability. Now they can take shots as far around as the pilot can crane his neck. There are 9x tests at basically any angle off boresight. That's the first youtube result for "AIM-9x" and while it doesn't show extreme angles, it's a fun watch and shows the ridiculous maneuverability of modern missiles.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Bad Analogy Time"

These type of low-speed high-G maneuvers are the equivalent of doing a twisting backflip in a gunfight to point at an enemy behind you, instead of taking the same amount of time to just turn around and not disorient the hell out of yourself.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah but don't you see they won't be expecting you to intentionally disadvantage yourself, therefore giving you the advantage because

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Has anyone else seen World War Z? I've been trying to figure our what kind of plane they used to go planet hopping in the movie'a first act. It's done up in USAF livery and I thought it was a C-27 but that has 2 engines and the one in the flick had 4 and a glazed nose.

Is it even a real aircraft or is it a BS-111 MacGuffin?

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Let's see: JATO off a carrier 200 miles east of Philadelphia and don't touch down ever until you hit South Korea. That's 6256 nautical miles over the north pole in a 2-engine military transport aircraft with no refueling.

I didn't catch the plane's type, but I'm pretty sure it was a C-130 Edit: It was an AN-12. According to Wikipedia (for what it's worth), the range of a C-130J is 2835 nmi. Even a C-17 fully hollowed out only was has a range of 5600ish nmi, and I don't think they do JATO.

So yeah, IMO Macguffin.

ctishman fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 24, 2013

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Has anyone else seen World War Z? I've been trying to figure our what kind of plane they used to go planet hopping in the movie'a first act. It's done up in USAF livery and I thought it was a C-27 but that has 2 engines and the one in the flick had 4 and a glazed nose.

Is it even a real aircraft or is it a BS-111 MacGuffin?

An-12, maybe?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Madurai posted:

An-12, maybe?

Yep that's what it was.

The whole "round-the-world on a tank of gas" was a little :what:-worthy but then I remembered I was watching a movie about zombies.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ctishman posted:

I didn't catch the plane's type, but I'm pretty sure it was a C-130 Edit: It was an AN-12. According to Wikipedia (for what it's worth), the range of a C-130J is 2835 nmi. Even a C-17 fully hollowed out only was has a range of 5600ish nmi, and I don't think they do JATO.

I and about 100 of my closest friends and all our palletized crap rode a C-17 from Germany to Oklahoma.

Fake edit: And now that I look up the distances, that's only about 5,000 miles.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I and about 100 of my closest friends and all our palletized crap rode a C-17 from Germany to Oklahoma.

The Pacific is loving huge.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Godholio posted:

Yeah, distances aren't as bad as they seem, once you start going over the pole. What's interesting is that the new A400M has a range of nearly 6400nmi.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

The Pacific is loving huge.

Yeah, this was only about an 11 hour flight iirc. Of course, that's long enough in a loving C-17 with the fuselage and centerline seats (not the airliner configuration). At least there are power outlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yep that's what it was.

The whole "round-the-world on a tank of gas" was a little :what:-worthy but then I remembered I was watching a movie about zombies.

I'm sure there are people sperging out on other forums about zombie crowds behaving like fluids and ferro-fluids.