Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm on a mad crazy movie-documentary kick. Making-ofs or history of directors or writers.

Anybody got any good ones to recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Pilli posted:

Thanks for all the videos. I've watched this one first because I've heard of this man before. It's hard not to get goosebumps just looking at him. I was so focused on the science behind his condition that I fast forwarded through the "circus" scenes - plus they're uncomfortable to watch, so no loss. Did you find the end disappointing? Not in terms of the documentary itself but in terms of resolution of the story?

That episode was personal to me as I had a rare and unsightly skin disease that covered much of my body in my adolescent years. Even the team of dermatologists at Harvards skin disease research center couldn't find a treatment that did anything. But I lucked out big time and it faded away into adulthood. I still run into people I knew in high school and they are surprised to see me wearing a t-shirt and shorts. But of course I went through nothing compared to this poor guy who cant use his fingers or mask his condition.

The end of Dede's story is sad, but I understand why he decided not to bother with trying the treatment. He knew it would have been a waste of money and effort and not worth the side effects and disappointment. It would be a long winded rant to explain the many reasons why he has almost no chance at any kind of worthwhile treatment. But he made he right decision.

Cant imagine what being in a freak show feels like but at least he's having his skin condition making him money instead of making him broke.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

magnificent7 posted:

I'm on a mad crazy movie-documentary kick. Making-ofs or history of directors or writers.

I'm a fan of "Orson Welles: The One-Man Band", it's a bonus feature on the "F for Fake" Criterion DVD.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

magnificent7 posted:

Burden of Dreams, the making of Werner Herzog's film Fitzcarraldo is great.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Overnight, the story of the production of The Boondock Saints is pretty darn good.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Burden of Dreams, the making of Werner Herzog's film Fitzcarraldo is great.

This is the greatest. Highly recommended for anyone interested in making-of stuff or life in general.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this isn't better suited to SAS but are there any good Hockey documentaries (I've seen Road to the Winter Classic).

I'm just after something broad aimed at the hockey noob (I'm Australian) in the vein of the great NFL films series. Something that sort of celebrates the game, gives a bit of history and has cool "what it's like to be a hockey player" type insights.

Is there some sort of "the last 20 years of the Stanley cup" type documentary? Talking about each season, the journeys, stories, highlights etc?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can anyone recommend good historical documentary series? I really enjoyed The Worst Jobs in History. I tried to enjoy the Supersizers episode about medieval food, but it was so riddled with elementary errors and lame sidetrack jokes I had to stop.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

xcore posted:

Not sure if this isn't better suited to SAS but are there any good Hockey documentaries (I've seen Road to the Winter Classic).

I'm just after something broad aimed at the hockey noob (I'm Australian) in the vein of the great NFL films series. Something that sort of celebrates the game, gives a bit of history and has cool "what it's like to be a hockey player" type insights.

Is there some sort of "the last 20 years of the Stanley cup" type documentary? Talking about each season, the journeys, stories, highlights etc?

Anything about the 1980 winter Olympics upset of the US vs. USSR, aka 'The Miracle On Ice', is a great story. Here's a short doc: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6af_1322917765

It looks like there are a lot of Wayne Gretzky documentaries from ESPN on youtube too--definitely check those out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Halloween Jack posted:

Can anyone recommend good historical documentary series? I really enjoyed The Worst Jobs in History. I tried to enjoy the Supersizers episode about medieval food, but it was so riddled with elementary errors and lame sidetrack jokes I had to stop.

CNN's Cold War series was recommended quite a few pages back and it's awesome if you have at all any interest in the cold war. All the episodes are on youtube too--here's the index: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_War_(TV_series)

Ken Burn's documentaries on important moments in American history are fantastic too. The Civil War, Jazz, Baseball, etc.--there are weeks of documentary watching there alone.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sooner or later I'll do myself a favour and check out Ken Burns' work, but right now I'm looking at everything from the ancient world up to the Industrial Revolution.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Fayez Butts posted:

Overnight, the story of the production of The Boondock Saints is pretty darn good.

If by good you mean making you want to board the next bus to Boston to find Troy Duffy and drop a piano on him - yes quite good.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xcore posted:

It's not a general hockey-through-the-ages overview or anything, but I really enjoyed "Broad Street Bullies" about the heyday of the Philadelphia Flyers.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bolek posted:

If by good you mean making you want to board the next bus to Boston to find Troy Duffy and drop a piano on him - yes quite good.
Yes. I saw the doc before seeing the movie, and if the movie was EVER any good, it sucked buckets of donkey rear end because of my seeing the doc first.

On a completely unrelated note, VICE documentaries. Holy loving poo poo. Why isn't any other news magazine (Nova, 48 Hours, 60 Minutes) doing anything like these people? I'm watching the series on Liberia now. Jesus Christ. This guy has balls the size of Kenya or he's got AIDS so he just don't care if he dies. He goes into the craziest situations for a story. I watched the entire train ride to Russia's outback where there were Chinese labor camps, and, drat.

And now, this one where he goes to Liberia. That country - he nailed it - it's literally post-armageddon. If you want to know what the world will be like when all civilization fails, look to Liberia.

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-vice-guide-to-liberia-1

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Actually most Vice documentaries are sensationalist, shrill, uninformed, hipster, American Borat bullshit. Their treatment of Liberia is an especially egregious example. Consult following links and embedded links within for less vitriolic explanation as to exactly why and for recommendation on far better and more edifying docs:

Looking for brave docs from NOVA or 60 minutes is a fools errand. They might have something good every once in a while but for the most part they're ossified institutions that aren't willing to make much waves or show something that might be unpalatable to your grandma.

http://penelopechester.com/2010/01/29/open-letter-to-shane-smith/
http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/2010/01/25/liberia-shock-or-insight/

Bolek fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 19, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The LGBT thread kind of reminded me of it, but The Goddess Bunny documentary has always struck me as being quite different than what I expected (a ghoulish freak parade):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wepeIOhlEDA

I actually find it pretty affecting.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I am intrigued by the Juggalo. This is an interesting documentary about them entitled "American Juggalo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXRAQyiqx-M

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ChocNitty posted:

I am intrigued by the Juggalo. This is an interesting documentary about them entitled "American Juggalo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXRAQyiqx-M
Christ. I've been following the wrong goddamn bands.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
American Juggalo owns.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Bolek posted:

Actually most Vice documentaries are sensationalist, shrill, uninformed, hipster, American Borat bullshit. Their treatment of Liberia is an especially egregious example. Consult following links and embedded links within for less vitriolic explanation as to exactly why and for recommendation on far better and more edifying docs:

For sure. Vice stumbles upon some really interesting subjects for documentaries but seem to be unable to get over their drunken shithead schtick. There was an interesting one I watched recently on drinking and alcoholism in Uganda (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3UHF5SlEU‎), but the journalism was so weak. There were all these questions to ask and lines to follow, but instead we get to see another shot of the interviewer choking down moonshine and filming more drunk Ugandans.

So, for more and better content see Documentary.net (there's a plugin for XBMC) and , to pick one at random, "Anaheim, a tale of two cities": http://documentary.net/anaheim-a-tale-of-two-cities/ "Protests against police brutality were met with riot-clad gear police and rubber bullets, further fuelling violence and bringing national attention to the home of Disneyland ... it just looked like our happiest place on earth had just turned into Afghanistan"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

outlier posted:

For sure. Vice stumbles upon some really interesting subjects for documentaries but seem to be unable to get over their drunken shithead schtick. There was an interesting one I watched recently on drinking and alcoholism in Uganda (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3UHF5SlEU‎), but the journalism was so weak.

That's why I don't blame anyone for really liking it when they first watch it. I was the same way. Then you watch more of their stuff and realize this is the peak of backpack journalism: kids with no ability to form proper questions.

That said I enjoy the one where the black rim glasses dude is in China and nobody wants to marry their daughter to him. I wish they filmed him crying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

outlier posted:

So, for more and better content see Documentary.net (there's a plugin for XBMC) and , to pick one at random, "Anaheim, a tale of two cities": http://documentary.net/anaheim-a-tale-of-two-cities/ "Protests against police brutality were met with riot-clad gear police and rubber bullets, further fuelling violence and bringing national attention to the home of Disneyland ... it just looked like our happiest place on earth had just turned into Afghanistan"

Thanks for the heads up, I never feel like installing random poo poo into XBMC but this looks good.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay - but - devil's advocate to the devil here - reading that article (the first one) is like reading a letter from Rudy Juliani in response to a documentary exposing the rampant crime and drug use in New York City. If the point of the Vice doc was to show the good AND the bad in Liberia, that'd be one thing. But he's in no way trying to showcase the good of a thing. There's so many other docs out there that sugarcoat the good of a given location.

I realize he's not giving a fair view of both sides in any conversation. He's showing the Bad poo poo that's happening. It's like the PETA folks that go film the pig slaughters. I absolutely realize the only way to get tasty, delicious bacon is by killing pigs. So those videos from PETA are real footage, but they're not showing the full story. Same thing here, except these are humans, and it's footage of a beach, covered in human turds. Next to what looks like acres of garbage.

The GOOD that he's doing, in my mind, is bringing horrible things to light. Once I watch his shock and awe introduction to Liberia, my interest is piqued and I'll absolutely go digging for more details. PBS goes so far out of it's way to remain objective in political documentaries - giving both sides the chance to respond, that the horrors that are going on get lots in the debate.

But, that said, I'll absolutely watch these Vice docs with a grain of salt. I'm still absolutely impressed that this guy doesn't make docs using existing footage with voiceovers. He goes there, he sees the poo poo with his own eyes and then discusses what's going on. I absolutely realize it's a partial opinion.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, that's my view too. Whatever they do in the documentaries, the pretty much always take a pretty good look around the areas they visit and usually that speaks for itself. And their North Korea stuff was really fascinating. And that stuff about the war journalist in Afghanistan, but he's not exactly a Vice guy as such.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

magnificent7 posted:

Christ. I've been following the wrong goddamn bands.

It's a good thing you can't see their teeth or a close-up on their hair to see how the meth is destroying their bodies.

(That's based on my opinion of Juggalos / Jugalettes, nothing else.)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know this was a rather large/mainstream film when it comes to docos but I watched Bully last night for the first time which is one if the most heartbreaking and rage inducing movies I have seen in a while.

I don't know why, but ever since becoming a father for the first time four months ago I have turned into a blubbering mess when it comes to sad things. I now cry watching Attenborough docos but this one hit me particularly hard.

I kept trying to be macho and distance myself with thoughts of "those crazy Americans with their love of guns and religion, hatred of gays and a lovely education system" but it still hit way too close to home.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 21, 2013

Frindevil
Jul 4, 2006
Haggis Keeper

xcore posted:

Check out Hockey: A Peoples History and see if you like it, it's on youtube. Part 1 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlAaaCqEWw and the same user has all 10 parts.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Frindevil posted:

Check out Hockey: A Peoples History and see if you like it, it's on youtube. Part 1 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlAaaCqEWw and the same user has all 10 parts.

That's a pro click right there. Hockey fans, don't miss this one.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

xcore posted:

I know this was a rather large/mainstream film when it comes to docos but I watched Bully last night for the first time which is one if the most heartbreaking and rage inducing movies I have seen in a while.

I don't know why, but ever since becoming a father for the first time four months ago I have turned into a blubbering mess when it comes to sad things. I now cry watching Attenborough docos but this one hit me particularly hard.

I kept trying to be macho and distance myself with thoughts of "those crazy Americans with their love of guns and religion, hatred of gays and a lovely education system" but it still hit way too close to home.

I want to loving destroy that stupid administrator at Alex's school after watching this

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

magnificent7 posted:

Lost In La Mancha and Audience of One are good documentaries about very ambitious movies that eventually never got made. The first mainly due to bad luck, the second due to batshit crazyness. Dont be put off by the subject matter of Audience of One, the original movie was meant to be a science fiction epic that rivaled Dune.

Oh, also American Movie is pretty good in the same vein, but not as epic.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Fatty posted:

Lost In La Mancha and Audience of One are good documentaries about very ambitious movies that eventually never got made. The first mainly due to bad luck, the second due to batshit crazyness. Dont be put off by the subject matter of Audience of One, the original movie was meant to be a science fiction epic that rivaled Dune.

Oh, also American Movie is pretty good in the same vein, but not as epic.

L'enfer d'Henri-Georges Clouzot (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydnBIOwoFc

About Clouzot's unfinished film Inferno. I haven't seen it yet but I'm really looking forward to it, Clouzot made some absolutely awesome movies like Le corbeau (1943) and Les diaboliques (1955). Apparently he suffered a heart-attack during the shooting of this movie.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 22, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

xcore posted:

As somebody who worked in education I appreciate the movie for bringing to light how loving vicious kids and their parents can be; as a piece designed to raise awareness by inciting an emotional reaction in outsiders it absolutely succeeds.

However, I have major issues with the film's central thesis that the problem is that we aren't tough enough on bullies and that if we socially ostracize them and use peer pressure they'll be perfect little rational actors and stop picking on kids. Bullies amd their victims are both symptoms of how bad mental healthcare and counseling is for society in general and kids in specific; it's just a lot easier to hate the kid whose home issues and developmental disorders manifest in picking on other kids even though they're just as sick and worthy of compassion as the kids whose issues manifest in crippling depression amd suicide.

Also they painted the issue as one of lazy and uncaring teachers rather than institutionalized bullying by administrators (you know the part where they have a town meeting and no teachers came? It's because they can literally fire you for publicly criticizing your school or admimistrators) but considering that poo poo like Waiting For Superman was popular and teachers being lazy and greedy is a national talking point I've just learned to accept it

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
After those weird clown people Hard in de Hal is a short Dutch documentary about the beginning of another bizarre youth culture, Gabber.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As somebody who worked in education I appreciate the movie for bringing to light how loving vicious kids and their parents can be; as a piece designed to raise awareness by inciting an emotional reaction in outsiders it absolutely succeeds.

However, I have major issues with the film's central thesis that the problem is that we aren't tough enough on bullies and that if we socially ostracize them and use peer pressure they'll be perfect little rational actors and stop picking on kids. Bullies amd their victims are both symptoms of how bad mental healthcare and counseling is for society in general and kids in specific; it's just a lot easier to hate the kid whose home issues and developmental disorders manifest in picking on other kids even though they're just as sick and worthy of compassion as the kids whose issues manifest in crippling depression amd suicide.

Also they painted the issue as one of lazy and uncaring teachers rather than institutionalized bullying by administrators (you know the part where they have a town meeting and no teachers came? It's because they can literally fire you for publicly criticizing your school or admimistrators) but considering that poo poo like Waiting For Superman was popular and teachers being lazy and greedy is a national talking point I've just learned to accept it

As someone who is new-ish to education, I was kind of shocked to see that the accepted solution to bullying is to label people (it's not that they have certain behaviors, it's that they are "bullies") and to treat them with derision and scorn. Isn't that basically bullying?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nocal posted:

As someone who is new-ish to education, I was kind of shocked to see that the accepted solution to bullying is to label people (it's not that they have certain behaviors, it's that they are "bullies") and to treat them with derision and scorn. Isn't that basically bullying?

It really is, and it sucks. It's kind of understandable because schools don't have the resources to give problem students the individualized attention they need to help them correct their behavior so they just cram them into normal classrooms under the guise of "mainstreaming" without providing the support, training, and environment necessary to help correct this behavior. So you wind up with a horrible toxic pressure cooker where you're on your own with administrators above you demanding better stats and the students below you getting bored and indignant at having to do boring test prep and channeling that into being disruptive or catatonic. When you put soldiers in that position you wound up with Abu Ghraib, when you put middle management in that position you get breakdowns and workplace shootings, and when you put teachers in that position you get people who are all too happy to intimidate and antagonize a small handful of kids who "deserve" it for the sake of keeping them from disrupting the rest of the kids who behave.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Some kids are just assholes.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

These are fair points but I think things went to a totally different level when that assistant principal was treating that kid with the speech impediment like he was a giant piece of poo poo because he wouldn't shake the hand of the kid who basically tortures him everyday. That particular administrator should be completely removed from children for the duration of her existence.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It really is, and it sucks. It's kind of understandable because schools don't have the resources to give problem students the individualized attention they need to help them correct their behavior so they just cram them into normal classrooms under the guise of "mainstreaming" without providing the support, training, and environment necessary to help correct this behavior. So you wind up with a horrible toxic pressure cooker where you're on your own with administrators above you demanding better stats and the students below you getting bored and indignant at having to do boring test prep and channeling that into being disruptive or catatonic. When you put soldiers in that position you wound up with Abu Ghraib, when you put middle management in that position you get breakdowns and workplace shootings, and when you put teachers in that position you get people who are all too happy to intimidate and antagonize a small handful of kids who "deserve" it for the sake of keeping them from disrupting the rest of the kids who behave.

Wow this is a great post and I'm going to quote it elsewhere.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

These are fair points but I think things went to a totally different level when that assistant principal was treating that kid with the speech impediment like he was a giant piece of poo poo because he wouldn't shake the hand of the kid who basically tortures him everyday. That particular administrator should be completely removed from children for the duration of her existence.

Oh, definitely. Independent of everything else Bully is worth watching just for that utterly punchable administrator.

Once I was subbing at a high school and had to show Bully to six different classes over the course of two days. No matter what class or grade level or how involved they were in the movie beforehand, every single group of kids went utterly ballistic at that exact moment, without fail. It's amazing in its awfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Just finished watching Simon Schama's Power of Art and Modern Masters, which are both excellent and accessible documentaries. Are there any other notable art docs that I should watch?