Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Eschaton is loving amazing with an extremely raw sound. Between poo poo and Piss We are Born is the first time they balanced the noise with soaring choruses and it benefitted by playing after Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes which was pure aggression.

Constellation however took that, refined it to unknown levels and then people expected Passion to be the same dramatic leap forward when it was "more of the same", still great but Anaal Nathrakh can do better than great. Vanitas proves that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rymgm3jcuWc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Oh my god, all this Eschaton talk is great. I forgot how great Eschaton was. Even that weird faux-industrial track at the end kills.

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like bumblebees loving some dude up in the forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqF0vdzO-iU

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Between poo poo And Piss We Are Born is the track that got me into Anaal Nathrakh and was a serious revelation for me in how extreme metal can get. Eschaton is incredible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Trees and Squids posted:

Between poo poo And Piss We Are Born is the track that got me into Anaal Nathrakh and was a serious revelation for me in how extreme metal can get. Eschaton is incredible.

Exactly. That and "When The Dragon Devours Both Lion And Child.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've always ignored Anaal Nathrak because somehow I got the idea that they were really grindy and not something I would be into. Decided to finally give them a listen after all the praise from you guys.

I am an idiot. This band loving owns. Had I heard Vanitas last year it would have easily been in my top 10.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The Codex Necro is still their best IMHO. The Supreme Necrotic Audnance is one of the most intense songs ever and a perfect opening.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've always ignored Anaal Nathrak because somehow I got the idea that they were really grindy and not something I would be into. Decided to finally give them a listen after all the praise from you guys.

I am an idiot. This band loving owns. Had I heard Vanitas last year it would have easily been in my top 10.

Yeah, they get described as a black/grind band a lot, a description that doesn't do them a lot of justice. Plus, I've never known anyone really into grind who particularly cared about Anaal Nathrakh.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Am I the only one who thinks "In the Constellation of the Black Widow" is far and above Anaal Nathrakh's best album?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

aliencowboy posted:

Am I the only one who thinks "In the Constellation of the Black Widow" is far and above Anaal Nathrakh's best album?

Nope. With you 100%. Not seeing enough love for Domine Non Es Dignus here though, probably my third favourite by them after Constellation and The Codex Necro. Do Not Speak is an absurdly good song.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It's got to be Birmingham. That city has long been known as the most depressing place in the UK and there are so many bands that have translated it's broken spirit directly into music.

From the working class steel mills of the 60's/70's you got Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi's signature tone probably wouldn't have been discovered if it wasn't for his fretting hand being maimed in an industrial accident and his ex-boss forming prosthetic finger tips out of plastic bottles and leather patches.

Now the Steel Mills are gone and you get Mick and Dave right around the turn of the Millenium when the government is trying to force a happy face on the midlands. Yet for all the activity of a modern British city the soul of the place is still as desolate as any isolated Scandinavian or East European town. The perfect breeding ground for metal bands.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Are Anaal Nathrakh the guys that got about a bajillion metalheads infuriated when one of em was photographed wearing a Radiohead tshirt?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

5er posted:

Are Anaal Nathrakh the guys that got about a bajillion metalheads infuriated when one of em was photographed wearing a Radiohead tshirt?

Wouldn't surprise me. I once had a friend who regularly would talk to Mick and he seemed to be a pretty humorous open-minded guy that listened to a lot of different non-metal music.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
One night at MDF, we spent a few hours talking entirely in broken sentences formed like Abigail lyrics. I was disappointed to find out that their frontman does not speak in Abigail lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAd7W5ISyy0

I got time for some beer
I'm ready for loving drunk metal
There is no time to stop and look back
Six six six pack loving beer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4KmGYsE3A

Who stole my beer?
I want to drink loving beer
Beer is what I need
Raise some loving hell

Black goat screaming voice
Metal holocaust attack
I’m too much drank
Puke vomit piss

Beer! Metal! Sex!
Hell loving metal!
Beer! Metal! Sex!
Hell loving metal!

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 20, 2013

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

5er posted:

If you only listen to metal, you're going to make very boring metal.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Anaal Nathrakh seems really impressed with how extreme they try to be. It all feels like they're trying to remind me that "we're Anaal Nathrakh and so we're gonna facemelt you with a wall of noise album after album". Mayhem and Satyricon already had that thing covered though, and both were better at melting faces and making interesting music. Probably good stuff to hear with your morning cup on the way to work, though.

aliencowboy posted:

If you only listen to metal, you're going to make very boring metal.

The best Black Metal guys listened to classical, techno/trance and synthpop along with the metal stuff they liked. Same definitely rings true in the other subgenres.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

RHTITE posted:

The best Black Metal guys listened to classical, techno/trance and synthpop along with the metal stuff they liked. Same definitely rings true in the other subgenres.

I get a real kick out of imagining Varg rockin' out to some synth-pop.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Instead of hanging out with the Norwegian scene guys, he was always hanging out at local house music joints (except for when he was burning churches or shanking dudes a few dozen times).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Anyone know of some good Russian language death metal? Found Scartown recently and I need more. Doesn't have to be melodic either.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 22, 2013

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone know of some good Russian language death metal? Found Scartown recently and I need more. Doesn't have to be melodic either.

It's not death metal, and it's not Russian really, but I feel like this band deserves a shout-out for everyone else in this thread, and you might like them anyways. I'm pretty sure the lyrics are in Russian, because I can understand a little, but it might just be due to the language similarity. Anyways, here's the link.

http://wedonthaveaname.bandcamp.com/

For everyone else, it's a mix of 90s screamo/emo and black metal. It's incredibly good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nails posted:

It's not death metal, and it's not Russian really, but I feel like this band deserves a shout-out for everyone else in this thread, and you might like them anyways. I'm pretty sure the lyrics are in Russian, because I can understand a little, but it might just be due to the language similarity. Anyways, here's the link.

http://wedonthaveaname.bandcamp.com/

For everyone else, it's a mix of 90s screamo/emo and black metal. It's incredibly good.

It's Czech actually, but sorta close!

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

QPZIL posted:

It's Czech actually, but sorta close!

I thought that might be the case. I studied Russian in college for a while, and had heard that there's large similarities between a lot of those languages, so I guess that explains why so much of it looked familiar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Not death metal, but since you're asking for DM in the black metal thread I'm gonna ignore genre specifics and recommend Аспид (Aspid). They only have one album, Кровоизлияние (Extravasation), but it's one of the best thrash albums ever.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The new Peste Noire album is out and it's a shitload better than the previous one. Famine has never sounded this drunk.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
That's good to hear, even though over time L'Ordure has grown on me like genital warts. Does anyone know of a US distro that will be getting the new one?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

m-o-o-n posted:

The new Peste Noire album is out and it's a shitload better than the previous one. Famine has never sounded this drunk.

Interview with Famine:
http://www.lamesnieherlequin.com/2013/04/interview-kpn-v-english-version/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not death metal, but since you're asking for DM in the black metal thread I'm gonna ignore genre specifics and recommend Аспид (Aspid). They only have one album, Кровоизлияние (Extravasation), but it's one of the best thrash albums ever.

Well gently caress me. :psyduck:
Thanks for the recommendation, hope they put out more stuff.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

My expectations were pretty low, but gently caress me this sample is killer. I have such a love/hate relationship with Famine. He comes across as such a dick, but goddamn he is really creative, and creates some genuinely interesting black metal. Basically he is an elitist knob, but his talent is undeniable, so...

Like when I listen to Blood In Our Wells, and it makes me want to become a Ukrainian nationalist, this does the same, but with France.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MariusLecter posted:

Arafel? More black than death, but look what thread you're in.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nomapple posted:

I have such a love/hate relationship with Famine. He comes across as such a dick, but goddamn he is really creative, and creates some genuinely interesting black metal. Basically he is an elitist knob, but his talent is undeniable, so...

Similar to how I feel about Hunter Hunt-Hendrix.

Speaking of that Czech band, you guys might want to check out Vesper by Entropia. Eastern-European black metal with atmospheric sludge influence. Good stuff.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 24, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gamma Nerd posted:

Similar to how I feel about Hunter Hunt-Hendrix.

I don't know. I think the rest of that band could succeed and excel without his pseudo-intellectual lip, or that horrible cat-rape whining.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

MariusLecter posted:

I'm a bit slow but since it's the black metal thread, check our Varhorn/Bapxxoph. I picked up their album from a cheap Ukranian distro and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Zl0LqraS4

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

I have a really hard time with Peste Noire. I mean, he says interesting stuff, and he writes interesting music. I also love Audrey Sylvain. But all the white supremacy stuff that he's wrapped up in, and his band by association, really grosses me out. I am pretty sure this is why I prefer all the cascadian black metal at this point. It seems to focus neither on "look how kvlt and evil I am" or nazi-punk bullshit, but explore the philosophical themes sometimes found in black metal that interest me.

This interview was definitely an interesting read though. I think the worst revelation in it is that Audrey is probably also a white supremacist, which makes me really sad because I love Amesoeurs. Maybe it was before she went bonkers or something.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I know, Famine's personal beliefs bum me out too. It was easier when he espoused a mix of French nationalism and elitism that shied away from white supremacy (the whole "how can I be a white supremacist? Indra's in the band!" stuff from the interview he gave around the release of Folkfuck Folie), but he seems to go back on that in this recent interview. It'd be much easier to ignore him if he produced typical garbage NSBM, but he's released some of the most interesting and captivating black metal I've heard recently. Really, I just ride the "I can listen to music produced by people I don't agree with" excuse really hard. Besides, Famine seems to love loving with people, so maybe it's all an elaborate prank. It also helps that I don't speak French very well.

On another note, does anyone have any love for Axis of Light. They haven't put out a ton of material but their recent split is amazing: http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/split-2

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

deadking posted:

I know, Famine's personal beliefs bum me out too. It was easier when he espoused a mix of French nationalism and elitism that shied away from white supremacy (the whole "how can I be a white supremacist? Indra's in the band!" stuff from the interview he gave around the release of Folkfuck Folie), but he seems to go back on that in this recent interview. It'd be much easier to ignore him if he produced typical garbage NSBM, but he's released some of the most interesting and captivating black metal I've heard recently. Really, I just ride the "I can listen to music produced by people I don't agree with" excuse really hard. Besides, Famine seems to love loving with people, so maybe it's all an elaborate prank. It also helps that I don't speak French very well.

On another note, does anyone have any love for Axis of Light. They haven't put out a ton of material but their recent split is amazing: http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/split-2

I sometimes wonder too if it's just his way of pissing off people, which I know he loves to do. I looked at some of the newer albums lyrics though, and 'race' is definitely a topic he addresses often. I do think it's more about French nationalism than white supremacy for him, based on his comments about preferring those of mixed-race to establish themselves as French because he sees them as French, but there's also all these other things he says that are totally hosed up, lovely and, definitely racist as hell.

It's a shame, because I'll probably pay a lot less attention if any to them now, but I sure as hell am not giving them any money. I feel like black metal is by and large an incredibly difficult genre to support, because you have to follow the trail of where you money goes to make sure you're not funding some kind of white power group or something. I don't think this is an issue unique to black metal though. It's in all sorts of art. I find it difficult to separate the art from the artist when I know buying it is fueling a hate speech machine, or a group that actively seeks to reduce the quality of life of others.

I laughed a little when Famine started talking poo poo about black metallers and he was saying most black metal fans are huge pussies who never actually commit to evil. I feel pretty okay with myself though, because I don't actually pretend to be evil at all, I just like the aesthetics of their musical sound and find some of the philosophy and ideology behind it fascinating so :shobon:.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
So is he like a Le Grande Terreur fanatic or something? Because that's what his lyrical subject and imagery truly inspires. Maybe I should read his interviews, but it sounds like they're more of the same.

Anyway, I gave the new album a cursory listen and I couldn't say I was too into it. It sounded way too disjointed for me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm a bit slow but since it's the black metal thread, check our Varhorn/Bapxxoph. I picked up their album from a cheap Ukranian distro and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Zl0LqraS4

This is reminding me of Walknut.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Smekerman posted:

So is he like a Le Grande Terreur fanatic or something? Because that's what his lyrical subject and imagery truly inspires. Maybe I should read his interviews, but it sounds like they're more of the same.

Anyway, I gave the new album a cursory listen and I couldn't say I was too into it. It sounded way too disjointed for me.

If I have it right, Famine's pretty against the legacy of the French Revolution (the insert of L'Ordure... is the Marianne crossed out). His brand of French nationalism looks back to medieval France.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Vanitas was my favourite album of last year. Heads up, Londoners - Nathrakh is headlining one of the Candlefest days in August.

Being friends with Mick Kenney on Facebook is ace, too, as it means I get a steady stream of photos of Mick Kenney in my timeline. Mmm. Mick Kenney. ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
I'm relatively bored of all the stuff I listened to, which mostly came out mid-late 2012, anyone able to reccomend me anything particularly good that's come out in the past couple of months? I'm a fan of a giant variety of stuff so I'd rather not give any "kinda like band [x]..." type thing to be more likely to get something left field that I'll think is loving awesome... help a brother out?