Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Yep hache burgers are good. They have kind of a purist ethos so I reckon you get a taster burg by loading it up with all the extras. Falafel stilton fried egg burger? Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I thought Hache was overrated.

Bring on Five Guys and Shake Shack in a few weeks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I thought Hache was overrated.

Bring on Five Guys and Shake Shack in a few weeks.

Five Guys? Now who's talking over-rated? ;)

Americans seem to regard Five Guys as something insanely special, but it's really not all that. It's a decent burger, a cut above McDonald's, but not by that much. Tell me when they're bringing over Smashburger, then I'll get excited. I had one at Newark airport once, and goddamn, that was instantly in my top 5 burgers ever.

I'm definitely intrigued enough to try Shake Shack though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Finally made it to dotorri's on sunday night. Fantastic, well worth the wait. It's been reviewed plenty ITT so i won't add much except to say i was very pleasantly surprised how generous the portions of sushi were and that i saw what i felt was some extreme rudeness from a pair of people who came in a nursed a single beer (didn't order food) each for an hour and a half while the place was packed and people who wanted to eat were constantly coming in and getting turned away.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Stroud Green road, just up from Dotori seems to be getting quite a few new restaurants. I was on the W3 the other day and passed a "slow food and milk bar" being built called Rub (replacing Dixie Chicken, hell yes.)

Intriguing!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Not London but if any of you happen to head over to Nottingham, go to the Navigation pub, featuring Annie's Burger Shack. Best burger I have ever had, I think. (I went for the Jamie special - burger covered with pulled pork, red leicester and salsa, with spicy Cajun wedges on the side.)

Make sure to get there early - when we left, at 7.30ish, there was a 2 hour+ wait for food. It's that good.

In London, I still think the Kimchi Cult burgers at the Black Heart win out for me. The chicken thigh one in particular is great. Dirty Burger was alright but a bit underwhelming, likewise Meat Liquor. Rotary was pretty good.

E: petition to rename this thread "Where to eat in London, England: My favourite no-reservations pop-up burger joint is better than yours"

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 25, 2013

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

As da OP, my top burger in London remains the pricey-but-amazing Hawksmoore, for the record! God, I love that place...

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So a little shoutout. My brother is one of the three guys who've taken over a new pub in old street called the three crowns http://www.the3crowns.co.uk/. Open for dinner tomorrow and then breakfast from wednesday. Check it out and let me know what you think!

My bus drives past that pub on my commute. I'll have to give it a go after work sometime.

quote:

As da OP, my top burger in London remains the pricey-but-amazing Hawksmoore, for the record! God, I love that place...

On the subject of great burgers I was at MeatMission at the weekend. As great as the the other two and allows booking apparently (I wasn't the one who arranged it). So big thumbs up there.

And also a little late to the subject of good ale/craft beer pubs, but The Brownswood on Green Lanes opposite Clissold Park (my local as it happens) comes recommended, as does the it's sister pub the Jolly Butcher in Stokie.

Raffles fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 25, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neris posted:

I've still to try the famous French Dip of theirs. Sooooon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Neris posted:

Stroud Green road, just up from Dotori seems to be getting quite a few new restaurants. I was on the W3 the other day and passed a "slow food and milk bar" being built called Rub (replacing Dixie Chicken, hell yes.)

Intriguing!

I walked past there today but didn't notice! I did have a baby and pram which was distracting me... The nice little newish organic shop at top of SGR is extending into bigger premises a few doors down and will start doing coffee etc, but my allegiance will remain with Vagabond.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

e: Ignore

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Oh hey here's a burger place for us all *not* to go to: http://thethirdestate.net/2013/06/a-victory-against-hipster-colonialism-the-advisory-removes-its-asian-womens-advisory-service-sign/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

What utter twats.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Burn Shoreditch to ashes already.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The place was empty for years. Still shouldn't have used the sign though

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Young cooks - now "children of the privileged", apparently, despite being the most overworked and underpaid people in London - are bearing the ire of mainstream society when it's the entire wealthier society that cut the loving program. Get real. If you give a poo poo about the program, do something actually productive, because these guys have done nothing to further diminish it, it's already dead and you killed it.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Do you know them or something? Chill out dude. Let's not derail this into a class thing.

In other news, I went to the Bodeans BBQ beer and food tasting thing last night, a press event, and it was lush. I've actually never had their baby back ribs before, or a plate of burnt ends. So good. After a dirty burger on Monday I'm now going full vegetarian for the next week, holy poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apparently I should be on some Bodean's mailing list?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Neris posted:

The Spitalfields bar has been doing and will continue to do half-price food all June. I had the burger with kimchi and I've got to say I preferred Meat Mission. Do they do different burgers at the different Hawksmoors?

(for £4.75 it's loving amazing though)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Pretty excellent meal at Abbeville Kitchen near Clapham South tonight. Best beetroot starter ever (big sweet chunks with soft goat curd and some kinda crunchy sprinkly things) and peach melba for dessert. Perfect. £70 for two incl service.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm spending a few days in London beginning of August with my family - we're Americans here - and I have taken up the task of convincing everyone of where to eat. What kind of food could we get here that we couldn't back in the states? It doesn't have to be like, fine cuisine or anything, just somewhere to go on a Friday night or something. My family's picky, but I'll deal with that part. Thanks :3:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Which city are you from? Struggling to think of any "kind" of food you can't get in the US. Lots of places to eat great food though. Where are you staying in London?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Ethiopian? Korean BBQ? Brazilian? Bubble tea?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Neris posted:

Ethiopian? Korean BBQ? Brazilian? Bubble tea?

I'm confused; are you suggesting these as things you can't get in the US?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There isn't really food you can't get in the states in London.

Obviously there's pakistani food in the States, but you're probably looking for something like Tayyab's, ie, a dining experience that's distinctly London.

Also, budget? St. John's is very distinct as well.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 29, 2013

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

angelicism posted:

I'm confused; are you suggesting these as things you can't get in the US?

Depends on where he's from, I spose. It was a weird unspecific request so I'm just throwing out random ideas of what might be "stuff you can't get".

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah St.Johns would be a great shout but doesn't go well with picky. They definitely want to be getting some fish and chips from somewhere proper too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Some good pies like pie minister, fish n chips (n mushy peas), Spanish hams, a full English, picnic in hyde/green/victoria park, a big fat farmers market like borough, brixton market, pizza east, chin chin labs.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm spending a few days in London beginning of August with my family - we're Americans here - and I have taken up the task of convincing everyone of where to eat. What kind of food could we get here that we couldn't back in the states? It doesn't have to be like, fine cuisine or anything, just somewhere to go on a Friday night or something. My family's picky, but I'll deal with that part. Thanks :3:

Unless you live in San Francisco, the chinese food will be quite different (and a lot better IMO). The Indian food in London is also much better than almost anything you'd find over here (here being the US). I've never found a greek restaurant anywhere in the US that comes near Lemonia in Primrose Hill, either.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pollyanna posted:

Just like, a whole tonne of Indian Curry. Comes in everything from street food to michelin star.

Black pudding as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

drgitlin posted:

I've never found a greek restaurant anywhere in the US that comes near Lemonia in Primrose Hill, either.

Quoted for truth, Lemonia is amazing, especially if you're with a bunch of people.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

drgitlin posted:

Unless you live in San Francisco, the chinese food will be quite different (and a lot better IMO). The Indian food in London is also much better than almost anything you'd find over here (here being the US). I've never found a greek restaurant anywhere in the US that comes near Lemonia in Primrose Hill, either.

I remember liking Ammos Estiatorio in midtown (NYC) but it's been years and I hadn't been to Greece yet. I'm now curious to try Lemonia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sorry for being vague, I didn't know many details about the trip up until now. Lessee...

To narrow it down, I'm looking for good Indian, Chinese and whatever else Gordon Ramsay goes bugfuck over, as well as any "local" flavors (think parmo). There's gotta be something unique to London compared to the states, right? Fish and chips would work, but I'd love to hear about other options as well. Price isn't that big a deal, but I'd prefer to stay away from super-expensive fare.

I myself am from Boston - and England and New England aren't exactly super different food-wise - but the rest of my family is from Bumfuck, Florida, so I'm gonna make sure they'll appreciate something new to eat. It's mostly just my brother that's picky, and somewhat my sister as well, but if he doesn't like it well gently caress more for me then.

Looking through your suggestions, Indian is definitely first on the list for me, and that Greek restaurant sounds good as well. Chinese being significantly different intrigues me, too. What I really want to try, though, is the more casual kinda food, since I think that'd have the biggest difference from what we'd get in the states.

We'll be around Purcell St, N1 6PW, wherever that is. We can move around by subway or train easy enough, so we're not stuck to any particular area.

(suggestions for places to get drunk as gently caress would be well appreciated too :ssh:)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 30, 2013

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Great Queen Street does great modern British; interesting enough to be delicious without scaring the horses.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

We'll be around Purcell St, N1 6PW, wherever that is. We can move around by subway or train easy enough, so we're not stuck to any particular area.

(suggestions for places to get drunk as gently caress would be well appreciated too :ssh:)

My brothers pub/brasserie https://www.the3crowns.co.uk is just round the corner from you and does some great modern British food. The old fountain is over the road from the them and has a terrace which is really nice for drinking when it's sunny.

Great queen street is also fantastic and well worth going to when you venture into town.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Pollyanna posted:

What kind of food could we get here that we couldn't back in the states?

Decent curry.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tayyab's is BYOB... if you don't go there I'm gonna get really pissed off

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

My brothers pub/brasserie https://www.the3crowns.co.uk is just round the corner from you and does some great modern British food. The old fountain is over the road from the them and has a terrace which is really nice for drinking when it's sunny.

Great queen street is also fantastic and well worth going to when you venture into town.

Seconding the old fountain. It's my closest pub and has 8-10 craft beers on tap and a cracking roof terrace.

Saw that the three crowns has reopened, haven't had a beer there but need to check it out, especially if there is a forums connection.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

powertoiletduck posted:

Seconding the old fountain. It's my closest pub and has 8-10 craft beers on tap and a cracking roof terrace.

Saw that the three crowns has reopened, haven't had a beer there but need to check it out, especially if there is a forums connection.

The crowns has got 8 beers on draft that they change up. Been quite good fun working my way through them with a family discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

No Wave posted:

Tayyab's is BYOB... if you don't go there I'm gonna get really pissed off

Lahore Kebab house if you actually want to sit down without waiting 8 hours.