Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Alereon posted:

It really feels like you're just being contrary for its own sake. The reality is that you disagree with some priorities and choices made by the Mozilla team, and rather than consider why they might be doing something differently than you think they should, you're just deciding that they're stupid and wrong. I get where you're coming from, I've felt that way before, but when I actually took the time to dig into why something was done or ask on IRC, I got a clear explanation and gained even more confidence in the decision-making. If you just can't imagine why they would have done something a particular way, it really is just that you're missing something important.

To address a single example from your post, reducing Firefox's memory usage was very important for users. It's easy to say that everyone has enough RAM, but that simply isn't true. Remember that Firefox is supported on phones with very little RAM and there's a lot of commonality between the desktop and mobile versions (aside from UI). It's also true that high memory usage was one of the single largest complaints about Firefox, valid or not, and reducing memory usage made people feel a lot better about Firefox. Finally, keep in mind that it's not like they just slashed and burned memory caches or something, they worked to waste less memory and fix leaks.

Yeah, I moved to firefox specifically because of chrome's egregious memory usage. I've since upgraded to a new computer where this is less of an issue, but I still find that FF handles memory in a more stable way than chrome, even with loads of extensions running. It's kind of nice not having dozens of separate browser processes cluttering my task manager, too.

I haven't experienced the video playback issues people are mentioning, but I know that kind of thing can be finicky. I will say that while FF is sliiightly more crash-prone than chrome (especially on the XP setup I have to use at work, for fancy sites like The Verge) and the fact that I can't kill a single tab easily when one locks up, it's also much easier to quickly and completely recover a session in FF after a crash. FF is also uniformly faster & more responsive than chrome for me, on both the lovely old XP laptop and my brand new win7 desktop. And I'm using at least twice as many extensions in FF. Go figure.

It sucks that some people aren't having so much luck. I've heard that full, from-the-ground-up reinstalls & complete profile resets can solve a lot of problems, but that sounds like a huge pain. RIP i'm sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Ok, I did some more video comparisons. Including downloading Iron, an open source Chromium browser that AFAIK doesn't have the magic super-flash implementation of Chrome.

Well... hmmm. I think Chrome's HD Youtube videos have a "silky smoothness" about them that the standard Flash plugin doesn't achieve. Just my gut feeling. Maybe someone will prove me wrong by showing tech data, but that's just me. Also I've watched so much 1080p E3 gameplay footage that my brain is toast.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

midnightclimax posted:

Ok, I did some more video comparisons. Including downloading Iron, an open source Chromium browser that AFAIK doesn't have the magic super-flash implementation of Chrome.

Well... hmmm. I think Chrome's HD Youtube videos have a "silky smoothness" about them that the standard Flash plugin doesn't achieve. Just my gut feeling. Maybe someone will prove me wrong by showing tech data, but that's just me. Also I've watched so much 1080p E3 gameplay footage that my brain is toast.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Yeppers. Very nice. I probably have to enable "remember cookies" for Youtube otherwise I'll have to click this at every re-start?

EDIT: Haha I'm dumb and just watched something with Flash enabled. Argl.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 14, 2013

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

xamphear posted:

I remain convinced that whoever at Mozilla decided to completely abandon per-process-tabs (a feature every single other browser has now) is a short-sighted fool.

They aren't; they just look like it to people who think they know how the project should be run despite lacking any technical understanding of what's involved.

Splitting things into seperate processes does not inherently improve performance - in fact, it carries significant overheads and substantially hurt performance (and even responsiveness!). Actually achieving good performance and responsiveness while things are running in separate processes also requires a number of other significant architectural changes. Those very same changes can also improve the performance and responsiveness while running in single process, without the added costs of communication between multiple processes. And that's exactly why the Electrolysis project was put aside for some time - at that point, it was actually a distraction from, not a benefit to, fixing the very issues you object to.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
I'm having a rather unique problem with Firefox: use of the Shift key seems to randomly cause Firefox to hang for 2-3 seconds. When it's happening, it's consistent -- it basically locks up on every thing I use the Shift key for. It's been very infrequent so I haven't tested it much, but I've noticed two problems: typing on Facebook and using ctrl+shift+tab to go between tabs both cause the problem. Haven't tested typing elsewhere, but I will if I notice it again.

On 21.0, flash is 11.7 r700, the only real extensions I have are Tree Style Tab and Adblock Plus. Many tabs open, using 1.5GB of memory while streaming video.

edit: it seems like when this happens, it's only a problem on one window. CPU jumps to about 25% usage on an i5-2500k when I use the Shift key, as it hangs.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 15, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone noticed that all variants of AdBlock Plus slow the down the launch of Firefox? I'm on an SSD, without any adblock it opens instantly. With adblock it adds about 3 seconds to launch. Tried AdBlock Lite and others and it's all the same.

Any setting that's causing it or any alternative? I'm trying Chrome out but it feels wrong.

Even downloading something like Pale Moon that doesn't use the same profile and then installing AdBlock causes the same delay.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Has anyone noticed that all variants of AdBlock Plus slow the down the launch of Firefox? I'm on an SSD, without any adblock it opens instantly. With adblock it adds about 3 seconds to launch. Tried AdBlock Lite and others and it's all the same.

Any setting that's causing it or any alternative? I'm trying Chrome out but it feels wrong.

Even downloading something like Pale Moon that doesn't use the same profile and then installing AdBlock causes the same delay.

I noticed this a few months back. Using the in-development of ABP makes no difference. Couldn't believe how fast Firefox starts up with it disabled.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I noticed this a few months back. Using the in-development of ABP makes no difference. Couldn't believe how fast Firefox starts up with it disabled.

I've been using Chrome for maybe an hour or two and it just seems so much faster than Firefox in general, even with addons in Chrome and none in Firefox.

Chrome not having an about :config page is a big suffer, though, can barely change anything - not even the behaviour of middle clicking bookmarked tabs nor putting the cache into RAM like you can with Firefox.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm using Adblock Edge, it's supposed to be sleeker. Also Chrome has an about-page, but its confusing as gently caress.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

I'm using Adblock Edge, it's supposed to be sleeker. Also Chrome has an about-page, but its confusing as gently caress.

Tried it, same delay as all the other AdBlocks. If you're talking about the chrome:flags page I tried it, it's bad.

Just realized: Couldn't you just use the Hosts file to block adverts instead of AdBlock?

I also noticed the same thing that you were talking about earlier; flash videos like streams on twitch.tv are significantly smoother in Chrome than Firefox, like they're repeating frames or something to make it seem smoother. Clean profile in Palemoon is exactly the same. Any way to get something similar in Firefox or is this just because Flash is garbage and Chrome has their own special thing?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 15, 2013

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

midnightclimax posted:

Adblock Edge is just a fork of Adblock Plus with the non-intrusive advertising thing removed. Whatever performance gain you notice is likely a placebo.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Just realized: Couldn't you just use the Hosts file to block adverts instead of AdBlock?

Yes, but the nice thing about ABP is that it'll automatically update your subscriptions. You'd need to schedule something in the task scheduler to automatically update your hosts file at regular intervals to achieve the same effect.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This is probably a really easy thing to fix, but I can't figure it out. I upgraded to Firefox 21.0 and I used to be able to left-click on a bookmark from my bookmark bar and have it open in a new tab. Now it opens in the current tab. I can't find an option to fix this in the options or in the options of Tab Mix Plus which is the extension I have installed. I tried installing a separate extension specifically for opening bookmarks in new tabs, but that didn't work either. How can I fix that?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Fangs404 posted:

Adblock Edge is just a fork of Adblock Plus with the non-intrusive advertising thing removed. Whatever performance gain you notice is likely a placebo.

Ah, that's it. I forgot why I chose it over regular ABP.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've kinda become acquainted with Firefox just being a heavy and slow beast to start up. With un-focused, saved tabs set to not load until clicked, it doesn't bother me much, since I only restart FF anyway when rebooting or if Flash fucks up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are there any add-ons that allow you to pause a youtube video and load it entirely (or better yet, allow you to hop around a loaded video without forcing it to reload?)

I think I asked the same question here a few months ago, but apparently youtube has gotten wise to the tricks of assholes trying to load an entirely video at once (the nerve!) and none of them work now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xander77 posted:

Are there any add-ons that allow you to pause a youtube video and load it entirely (or better yet, allow you to hop around a loaded video without forcing it to reload?)

I think I asked the same question here a few months ago, but apparently youtube has gotten wise to the tricks of assholes trying to load an entirely video at once (the nerve!) and none of them work now.

I don't know, but I still use Download Helper to pull the video down locally if I actually want to skip around like that. Don't know if there's a more well-recommended addon these days.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm on my phone and can't easily go look, but upthread weren't some full-featured YouTube companion addons being discussed? I could have sworn one of them had that functionality.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I don't think any of them are fully buffering now. I just installed a bunch of different ones to see quick, and at best you get a few minutes buffered.

Hopefully someone will find a way around that.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

You want that first page you load not to have ads on it, right? AdBlock has to build its database in memory one way or another. My subscriptions have almost 50,000 lines of filters that need to be loaded, they're all regular expressions that get compiled for all I know, in an interpreted language. Ad blocking isn't free.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

You want that first page you load not to have ads on it, right? AdBlock has to build its database in memory one way or another. My subscriptions have almost 50,000 lines of filters that need to be loaded, they're all regular expressions that get compiled for all I know, in an interpreted language. Ad blocking isn't free.

Internet loving sucks without AdBlock. I sucked it up and installed it again, trying to get into the habit of closing my last tab instead of the entire browser.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
This is exactly why I wished that Mozilla stuck with their guns on notifying users that Plugin X can slow performance by 25% or more. They got as far as making a shame list, developers complained and they later caved. It's one of the main reasons why people still think Firefox is slow.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ryokurin posted:

This is exactly why I wished that Mozilla stuck with their guns on notifying users that Plugin X can slow performance by 25% or more. They got as far as making a shame list, developers complained and they later caved. It's one of the main reasons why people still think Firefox is slow.

Don't worry, the adblock extensions on Chrome are at least as bad, and nothing I've found recently kills Firefox as badly as some of the more popular extensions kill Chrome.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

There's also this, though it only shows memory usage, not CPU or any other slowdown factors https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/about-addons-memory/?src=search

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ryokurin posted:

I thought the problem with that was that while the extensions did reduce performance it was measured in amounts so quick that it was barely noticeable.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have a multiple profiles question. I'm trying to set up a profile of my own on a shared laptop such that when I manually start firefox with the profile manager switch I can get into my own profile, but the rest of the time it starts with a default one. I particularly don't want the profile manager to show each time to avoid confusing the other users of the laptop.

I thought I could do this via setting the IsDefault line in profiles.ini, but it appears that Firefox changes that automatically to ensure that the in-use profile is automatically loaded next session if the profile manager isn't used. I realize I can change the Firefox shortcut on the desktop to force a profile to load, but I'd still have to fiddle in the depths of Windows 7 to cause hyperlinks to also open with the desired profile (I think? :confused:)

TLDR the default profile and last used profile seem to always be the same thing as far as Firefox is concerned, unless I'm missing something. I'd prefer to be able to juggle profiles within Firefox rather than changing shortcuts and poking in Windows; any suggestions? Extensions?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

the yeti posted:

profile stuff
Unless I'm mis-understanding, wouldn't you just set a default profile, and when you want to use the laptop, launch the Profile Manager, change the default profile, relaunch Firefox, then change it back when you're done? I don't know how you'd get it simpler while refusing to use Windows user profiles, which is what you SHOULD be doing.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

computer parts posted:

I thought the problem with that was that while the extensions did reduce performance it was measured in amounts so quick that it was barely noticeable.

The thing is, it adds up and even if it's just a couple of seconds difference it makes some people think it's because of bloat. If anything it would start a discussion about how plugins for any platform can drastically affect performance and you should think about what you are running.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Something to lighten adblock a bit... if it's AdBlock Plus, you can disable non-intrusive advertising so I doesn't load a bunch of white-listed ads

Also: maybe redundant filters take more time so subscribing to multiple lists might slow down some

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Something to lighten adblock a bit... if it's AdBlock Plus, you can disable non-intrusive advertising so I doesn't load a bunch of white-listed ads

Also: maybe redundant filters take more time so subscribing to multiple lists might slow down some

You should probably turn it off anyway, or just use something else besides Adblock Plus, since the non-intrusive advertising thing is an extortion racket.

/bin/laden
Apr 21, 2003
rm -rf /bin/laden error: /bin/laden not found

the yeti posted:

I have a multiple profiles question. I'm trying to set up a profile of my own on a shared laptop such that when I manually start firefox with the profile manager switch I can get into my own profile, but the rest of the time it starts with a default one. I particularly don't want the profile manager to show each time to avoid confusing the other users of the laptop.

You can control which profile starts without using the profile manager by creating a firefox shortcut with -P ProfileName added.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

/bin/laden posted:

You can control which profile starts without using the profile manager by creating a firefox shortcut with -P ProfileName added.

And even selecting to always ask for profile when it launches

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Is there really not one simple, functional facebook notification extension? The official plugin forces you to use all four buttons, when I only need one: an icon that shows when I have a notification/message and takes me to the page when clicked. If we were being generous, it might display a shortlist of those notifications in a dropdown panel, like the chrome version.

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 25, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Is there really not one simple, functional facebook notification extension? The official plugin forces you to use all four buttons, when I only need one: an icon that shows when I have a notification/message and takes me to the page when clicked. If we were being generous, it might display a shortlist of those notifications in a dropdown panel, like the chrome version.

I use this one, but changes to the Facebook API have it broken currently. The page says it will be fixed soon, though.

Downside: It has a "like this page" toolbar button that won't go away, coming back between restarts, but it's easy to move off to the side and ignore.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Nevermind.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Gerudo Rivera posted:

How about using the one built into FF?

errrr, nevermind

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 25, 2013

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Fangs404 posted:

How about using the one built into FF?

errrr, nevermind

It's nice that there's a built-in one now, but how do I hide the other three icons and/or move it?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

22 released. Is there some way to disable:

quote:

Windows: Firefox now follows display scaling options to render text larger on high-res displays

Now everything is big as gently caress, it scales everything including pages and images too.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Since this update I notice now that when a video is playing such as Youtube, I used to be able to right click on it and there was "stop video" option in the context menu, this option is not there anymore. I'm not sure if this was a flash update change or FF change, anyway to get this functionality back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

That's a YouTube change.