Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

D C posted:

I've never quite grasped that, fresh air comes in the front, exhaust goes out the back.

Lets put the exhaust out the front of the engine and take the fresh air in from the back!

Is it because the exhaust side of the engine gets hotter and thus needs the cooling more? And the wonky placement means it gets a cooler breeze?

Just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Going by the examples I've seen of rear-exiting exhaust (Mazda MZR comes to mind), it's because it's easier to tuck an intake manifold by the firewall; exhaust needs more clearance due to the heat, plus with the pipe running down that eats into space more. Mazda I believe shoves the motor farther forward to compensate, making it a pain in the rear end to get the intake manifold off due to it being right next to the radiator.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Horrible brazing failure. Coolant transfer/heater pipe on a Kia Sportage. It just sort of...cracked right along the braze and a slight tug made it fall to bits.

That reminds me of two things. The back of the drivers seat on my beetle. The braze failed and I fell back while driving. Glad I had a good hold of the wheel.
The other one was the clutch pedal pivot pin on the EA Falcon. Fucker broke right off. Whether it was human or robot welded the perpetrator should have been scrapped. The weld looked good enough on the pin, but there was only a few square millimetres where the weld had actually penetrated the bracket. The rest was just laid over the surface with absolutely zero fusion.
What concerned me most about this is the brake pedal used the same setup and was part of the same assembly. I'm so, so glad it was the clutch. Imagine having a brake pedal break off and fall on the floor. I don't even want to think about that.

e: Did I mention single shear?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jammyozzy posted:

This is how it's been laid out on every FWD car I've worked on. :confused:

Go pop the hood on a late model Corolla sometime. Or anything with an Ecotec.

I wasn't a fan of the exhaust being against the firewall at first, but it seems like the engine bay stays a lot cooler. And the radiator doesn't get heat soaked by the exhaust when you sit in traffic/turn off the car.

e: to contribute.. not quite a mechanical failure, more like a shadetree failure. :stare:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

some texas redneck posted:

Go pop the hood on a late model Corolla sometime. Or anything with an Ecotec.

I wasn't a fan of the exhaust being against the firewall at first, but it seems like the engine bay stays a lot cooler. And the radiator doesn't get heat soaked by the exhaust when you sit in traffic/turn off the car.

e: to contribute.. not quite a mechanical failure, more like a shadetree failure. :stare:

Ya know, it's pictures like these that make me wonder. The person who did that was competent enough to understand compressing the spring, but not the fact that Autozone rents out spring compressors. I mean, seriously.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Devyl posted:

Ya know, it's pictures like these that make me wonder. The person who did that was competent enough to understand compressing the spring, but not the fact that Autozone rents out spring compressors. I mean, seriously.

Depending on where this person bought the zip ties from, they could have ended up being as expensive as a set of spring compressors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Is it because the exhaust side of the engine gets hotter and thus needs the cooling more? And the wonky placement means it gets a cooler breeze?

Just a thought.

The exhaust being at the front of (older) FWD cars and Honda having a backwards engine aren't related. Honda engines spun/spin 'backwards' because that's how bike engines are arranged. Honda largely pioneered FWD cars (among the japanese makes) and they used large bike engines to do it. From there, incremental tooling and manufacturing improvements have modernised things but the layout remains the same. I remember reading the CEO of Honda saying they still think like a small manufacturer and do things incrementally instead of making massive sweeping changes all at once; this was in response to Toyota's numbskull move in building a factory solely for assembling the tundra based on projected sales that never materialised.

It's also worth noting that the 'newer' cars with the more logical exhaust/intake layout owe nothing to their predecessors and are largely clean-slate designs, whereas the older 90's vehicles can trace their roots to ancient OHV designs with non-crossflow heads and so on which I'm sure would contribute.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

some texas redneck posted:

I wasn't a fan of the exhaust being against the firewall at first, but....

:sigh:

In the early days of "big turbo" kits for the SRT-4 firewall massaging* was a requirement before installation.

*beating the poo poo out of the firewall with a hammer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys are all doing something wrong, I am pretty sure the manifolds are supposed to come off the sides of the engine not the front and back :smug:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kastein posted:

You guys are all doing something wrong, I am pretty sure the manifolds are supposed to come off the sides of the engine not the front and back :smug:

Wanna race?

from a roll?

in a straight line?

:colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Wanna race?

from a roll?

in a straight line?

:colbert:

Maybe if I can choose the course :colbert:

(Breakneck Rd in Sturbridge MA is my favorite "course". It's MOSTLY a straight line, I guess. Contrary to what Google Maps thinks, it goes all the way to Connecticut, you just need 8-12 inches of ground clearance and an intake a few feet off the ground to make it :banjo:)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BlackMK4 posted:

You'll find this on the smaller displacement full race motorcycles too... Moto1/Moto2.

Huh? You mean Moto2 and Moto3... and essentially all inline motorbike engines are like that, intake in back, exhaust in front. The Moto2 spec engine is basically just a CBR600RR engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Huh? You mean Moto2 and Moto3... and essentially all inline motorbike engines are like that, intake in back, exhaust in front. The Moto2 spec engine is basically just a CBR600RR engine.

Whoops. Moto3. Some of them run intake up front and exhaust out the back of the motor. 50-60whp from 250cc isn't bad.

All around lovely post by me though. :v: Wasn't thinking at all.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 25, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fucknag posted:

There's the right way, there's the wrong way, and then there's the (Superior) German Way.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

(Also fits the 'german way' thing)
:v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

To continue on the "german way"....

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
No.

NO.

NO!!!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
gently caress the A4 forever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy mother of god.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who seriously thought that clusterfuck was a good idea?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Post pictures that give mechanics nightmares.

Also who pulls an ACVW engine to adjust the valves?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
gently caress THAT. Timing chain change? Nope. Buy a new car.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Did I mention guys that side faces the firewall?

and all ofthat fuckery breaks.

OFTEN.

E: VV. I never said I hated it.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 25, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I really don't get all the hate for the VAG V8, yes it has a timing chain? That Ford Cologne V6 they put into every single thing in the 1990s had timing chains on both sides of the engine, it's not really that uncommon.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I count four chains in that v8 there...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What the gently caress is that.

E: Oh it's an engine!

cursedshitbox posted:

Haha I've posted that same picture before. And yeah other motors have multiple timing chains, but typically not 8 loving plastic tensioner guides that are prone to wearing out every 50k.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I thought that was the S4 motor?

Either way, I'd service one for $120/hour, I sure as gently caress wouldn't have one serviced for that, or do it myself, however.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fucknag posted:

Haha I've posted that same picture before. And yeah other motors have multiple timing chains, but typically not 8 loving plastic tensioner guides that are prone to wearing out every 50k.

I can forgive Audi for multiple timing chains, and I can even forgive them for the cheap, crappy plastic tensioners. What I can't forgive them for is that all of that is ON THE FIREWALL SIDE OF THE loving ENGINE.

On the topic of Audi, I laughed my rear end off when the #1 Audi R18 at LeMans had to have it's alternator replaced - which was literally inside the gearbox casing. Talk about the Audiest place for an alternator.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MrChips posted:

On the topic of Audi, I laughed my rear end off when the #1 Audi R18 at LeMans had to have it's alternator replaced - which was literally inside the gearbox casing. Talk about the Audiest place for an alternator.

ahahahahahahahahaha that's loving rich.

ZERO sympathy if they lost the loving race because of that alone. Stop out-germaning yourselves and make your goddamn cars easy to fix you assholes.

e: goddamnit, what the gently caress?! They WON?! There is no justice in the world. I shake my fist at you, german engineers.

e2: nevermind. The #2 car won, the #1 didn't because they put the god drat alternator in the most retarded spot possible (except perhaps building it into the crankshaft... in the middle.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 25, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Race teams always say the failure is the alternator, no matter what it actually is.

:v: The alternator failed
:allears: How did it fail?
:v: A conrod snapped, went through the block and poked a hole in it

or

:v: the alternator failed
:allears: how did it fail?
:v: The engine seized and the alternator belt snapped

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I had a rear axle nut decide to want to be free when I was driving home sunday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Imt8PyBss

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That video actually made me say "OOOOhh....poo poo" out loud.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BlackMK4 posted:

Whoops. Moto3. Some of them run intake up front and exhaust out the back of the motor. 50-60whp from 250cc isn't bad.

All around lovely post by me though. :v: Wasn't thinking at all.

It makes more sense in a bike, the exhaust would come out right below the seat, right infront of the back tire, wouldnt want the extra heat hanging out around there, and then theres room from the front for a longer, tuned exhaust, around the bottom of the bike (which also keeps CG lower).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've had this picture saved for a few years for whenever I feel the need to own a v8 Audi. Love the styling and interior but gently caress having to ever do any work on that.

Works like a charm.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Motronic posted:

That video actually made me say "OOOOhh....poo poo" out loud.
Apparently you can launch the sti to much and make your axle nuts fly off.
I took off the rim and saw this.

:frogsiren:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

G-Mach posted:

I had a rear axle nut decide to want to be free when I was driving home sunday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Imt8PyBss

I went through something similar with my GTO about a year ago. The only difference was the axle nut was as tight as could be, the bearing itself had disintegrated to the point where it wobbled about that much. Since it's a press-type bearing(:argh:) I had no choice but to replace the wheel hub as well, which at the time I could only find through GM.

What a nightmare to change :gonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bajaha posted:

I've had this picture saved for a few years for whenever I feel the need to own a v8 Audi. Love the styling and interior but gently caress having to ever do any work on that.

Works like a charm.

This, and this too being the opposite of that clusterfuck, considering it's a direct competitor:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

e2: nevermind. The #2 car won, the #1 didn't because they put the god drat alternator in the most retarded spot possible (except perhaps building it into the crankshaft... in the middle.)

GODDAMNIT DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!
It sort of reminds me of the pocket chopper we have that has a starter / generator thing on the crankshaft. Heavy duty poo poo. That starter probably puts out more HP than the motor. Hmm. I see a potential hybrid bike.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

kastein posted:

ahahahahahahahahaha that's loving rich.

ZERO sympathy if they lost the loving race because of that alone. Stop out-germaning yourselves and make your goddamn cars easy to fix you assholes.

e: goddamnit, what the gently caress?! They WON?! There is no justice in the world. I shake my fist at you, german engineers.

Just because of this post...there are german engineers trying to figure out how to put it inside the transmission oil pan right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Apparently according to the stream I was listening to that it's pretty common for racecars to attach their alternators to the transmission and differential.