Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
St. Cloud was a little more flaccid this second time around, but Venture Brothers has always had some hit or miss characters. Hatred took me a while to fully warm up to, after all. At the very least, St. Cloud enables Billy and White to have some fun adventures.

The other problem with the episode is how predictably the "twist" played out. A lot of the main story kind of packed backbone. I wouldn't say it was a bad episode, certainly no State Dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Watching it again I just realized that when Jonas is diving in the opening he finds the ancient drachmas that Giorgos gives out for the Spanikopita games.

I also didn't really like it the first time because the twist took so long to play out but I completely disagree with the St Cloud hate; I think it helps that I really like Billy and White but I hope they keep bringing him back.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I recall the creators saying that when people really hated the moppets, that was when the decision to keep them around was made.

So you are making your own bed, St. Cloud haters. :colbert:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Kingtheninja posted:

The first thing that came to my mind with the people on the boat with Kano were the Monarch's parents. The woman looked like his mom in the photo, at least.

I see it too.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder if Brock avoided his children the previous years too? I mean, one of them is rather big, he must have been confronted with him before, right?

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

X_Toad posted:

I wonder if Brock avoided his children the previous years too? I mean, one of them is rather big, he must have been confronted with him before, right?

He's an OSI agent. If he can elude and neutralize some of the world's greatest assassins and super-villains, he can evade child support. Hell, he can get a male Sasquatch through a military checkpoint in broad daylight. :colbert:

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I also just realized that White being a centaur in Billy's dream is a callback to the Conjectural Technologies stock certs.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
In the dream sequence Jonas is Zeus, Kano is Hephaestus, and Horace is Dionysus, but who is Action Man supposed to be? Ares or Hermes?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

In the dream sequence Jonas is Zeus, Kano is Hephaestus, and Horace is Dionysus, but who is Action Man supposed to be? Ares or Hermes?

I don't see anything at all indicative of Hermes.

I would guess Pluto? He does have a bident.

Constituent
Jun 6, 2011

Comrade Quack posted:

I see it too.

probably.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

thexerox123 posted:

EDIT:

He could also be Achilles, who had a two pronged spear, (but not really a bident). I guess both work for Action Man.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 25, 2013

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

thexerox123 posted:

Ah, thanks. I didn't even know what a bident was. I thought it was a Caduceus.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JetsGuy posted:

He could also be Achilles, who had a two pronged spear, (but not really a bident). I guess both work for Action Man.
Wouldn't Achilles be the odd man out in an assembly of gods? It's more likely Hades (Pluto), I think.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

X_Toad posted:

Wouldn't Achilles be the odd man out in an assembly of gods? It's more likely Hades (Pluto), I think.

Yes, Pluto/Hades is certainly the more likely and most obvious. Just pointing out alternatives.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The lines on the guy's face makes me think Scaramantula.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dazerbeams posted:

Have you ever seen a mustache before?

[edit]
or cheekbones?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The Venture Brothers Season V: Now THAT'S an euphenism!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dazerbeams posted:

I mean maybe Jonas stole his son and broke down, becoming an insect-themed villain bent on destroying Doctor Venture?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ultramiraculous posted:

I mean maybe Jonas stole his son and broke down, becoming an insect-themed villain bent on destroying Doctor Venture?

If that were the case, why would he put Rusty over a shark tank and attempt to kill him?

EDIT:

Now, Scaramantula being *Monarch's* father... that would be interesting.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

thexerox123 posted:

Hermes is often shown wearing a (winged) helmet, but yeah the bident makes me think Hades.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ithaqua posted:

Have you ever seen a mustache before?

[edit]
or cheekbones?

Depends. What television show/bideo game features either of these?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Dazerbeams posted:

They look like they are having too good of a time for it to be Scaramantula. I don't think they'd look so casual on the boat if it was him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LashLightning posted:

Great episode, even if only for the revelation that L. Ron Hubbard is a ghost inhabiting a robot body (Perhaps maybe a connection to that Ghost Robot superhero?) and also a super-villain.

LRH wasn't a 'ghost' so much as his 'spirit' left his robot body (the same way Scientologists said it did when he died in '86). The thing that didn't make sense about it is that if that was in the 60s and 70s, he was still alive then.

Umph posted:

Really not feeling St Cloud.

Give it time. Monarch was pretty lame his first few outings as well, but came into his own. I think part of the reason St. Cloud's a bad supervillain is that he hasn't given Billy and White adequate reason to consider him anything other than a nuisance. I think that might change after this episode simply because St. Cloud actually *did* try to kill White.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 26, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The thing that didn't make sense about it is that if that was in the 60s and 70s, he was still alive then.

Was this mentioned previously in the Venture Bros universe, or are you saying it doesn't make sense because it contradicts real life?

Because if it's the latter, I have news for you... David Bowie isn't actually a shapeshifter and leader of the Guild of Calamitous Intent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

thexerox123 posted:

Was this mentioned previously in the Venture Bros universe, or are you saying it doesn't make sense because it contradicts real life?

Because if it's the latter, I have news for you... David Bowie isn't actually a shapeshifter and leader of the Guild of Calamitous Intent.

No, really? :stare:

\/\/\/\/ EDIT: Probably. Might've been his 'Thetan Form.'

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

LRH wasn't a 'ghost' so much as his 'spirit' left his robot body (the same way Scientologists said it did when he died in '86). The thing that didn't make sense about it is that if that was in the 60s and 70s, he was still alive then.

Maybe he wasn't dead and he projects his spirit into robot bodies to fight Jonas and then jumps back when they're destroyed.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Yeah, pretty sure the joke with LRH is that once defeated, his Thetan escapes.
Good episode, but I'm beginning to feel the absence of Orpheus.

"Mount me, Billy!"

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Anyone who dislikes St. Cloud should eat a can full of pennies. :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Maybe he wasn't dead and he projects his spirit into robot bodies to fight Jonas and then jumps back when they're destroyed.

That's actually what I figured.

Man, this was a pretty good, and fun episode. No serious life or death things, just Doc's happiness at stake.

Though I honestly thought Billy was going to wake up on top of Pete in a much worse position.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

JetsGuy posted:

Anyone who dislikes St. Cloud should eat a can full of pennies. :colbert:

Eat the pennies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

dazoner posted:

Eat the pennies.

Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.

I was sold of St Cloud from that exchange.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I really can't believe people are calling St. Cloud a lazy petty villain in the same show with the Monarch.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

twistedmentat posted:

Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.

I was sold of St Cloud from that exchange.

SIDEKICK?!?!

BILLY, EAT THE DAMNED PENNIES!!! :mad:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LP97S posted:

I really can't believe people are calling St. Cloud a lazy petty villain in the same show with the Monarch.

The Monarch is secretly brilliant.

HE blows off Werner Underbheit's jaw, which leads to him hating Dr Venture.

The Monarch has thusly doubled the amount of hatred and torment thrown at Rusty.

Didn't do it on purpose, but hey whatever.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So that friend of mine sent me a msg tonight asking me where he can watch more Venture Bros. My job is complete.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

LP97S posted:

St. Cloud is pretty much an episode of character development away from becoming everybody's favorite character. The only difference between him and a lot of the other characters on the show is that we have seen their hosed up love lives and abusive parental upbringings and we haven't seen St. Cloud's yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

LP97S posted:

He is though.

That's what makes him funny.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LP97S posted:

(Hank is looking at a list of supervillains in a Guild of Calamitous Intent handbook)
Hank: Man, this is the coolest book ever! There's a guy in here who guards his headquarters with robot cheetahs!
The Monarch: Oh yeah, The Zoo Creeper. Oh, hey, am I in there?
Hank: Ummmmmm, nope.
The Monarch: M, for (shakes fist, intimidating glare) MONARCH!!
Hank: Uh-uh.
The Monarch: Try T, for (same fist-shaking and intimidating glare) THE MONARCH!!
Hank: Hmm, nothin'.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Angular Landbury posted:

St. Cloud is pretty much an episode of character development away from becoming everybody's favorite character.

Not going to happen for me. He opens his mouth and all I hear is "I am Hank doing an upper class impression"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sereri posted:

Not going to happen for me. He opens his mouth and all I hear is "I am Hank doing an upper class impression"

Would you say its "jarring"?