Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRealGunde
Aug 13, 2007

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Watching this for the first time, man I could not give less fucks about Vic's hooker friend.
She was a pretty terrific actress though. And I think her arc ended well with some great moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

escape artist posted:

Doesn't the hooker act as a CI for him though? Which would explain why he's so desperate to keep her happy.

I think that he genuinely cared for her. Vic wanted her to get out of the business, get clean, and raise her son. And he actively tried to help her to do all of that. Maybe he did it selfishly because of a hero complex, and it made him feel better about himself, but he tried to do right by her. I don't think it was just because she was his CI.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Exploder posted:

I think that he genuinely cared for her. Vic wanted her to get out of the business, get clean, and raise her son. And he actively tried to help her to do all of that. Maybe he did it selfishly because of a hero complex, and it made him feel better about himself, but he tried to do right by her. I don't think it was just because she was his CI.

You're right, I'm just remembering one scene in particular: where he allows her to smoke crack in the barn if she blows it out the window. I guess that was to alleviate her withdrawal, though?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

escape artist posted:

Doesn't the hooker act as a CI for him though? Which would explain why he's so desperate to keep her happy.

Been a while since I watched it, but I remember being pretty bored by all of the scenes with her too.

Either way, stick with it. The Shield's weakest season is Season 1, and it just gets better and better.

It helps feed Vic's holier than thou hero complex thing he has going on. And it also highlights how Vic's self righteousness allows himself to be manipulated. Considering he puts prostitutes in to lovely situations and gets manipulated multiple times by them.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Jfc, serial old-women rapist, Aceveda mouth rape. Season 3 is dark as hell.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The only thing that could have made Season 3 darker?

edited: animated cartoon unicorns fornicating

edited: the image was so odd I didn't even make the My Little Pony connection - my bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^You need to delete that poo poo because it's going to get you probated or even banned.

From the rules thread:

Aatrek posted:

Because apparently it needs to be written down: DO NOT POST ABOUT 'MY LITTLE PONY' ANYTHING.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Guys, I'm entering the home stretch; I have about 5 episodes to go and poo poo is getting crazy. Just saw the episode in which Shane and Mara narrowly avoid getting killed by Vic in a parking lot. Can't wait to see how this all turns out!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
refresh my memory - this was after my favorite series moment: ROUGUE MACKIE: Vic tells Claudette to shove the badge & quits the force and do poo poo HIS way?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Dead Snoopy posted:

refresh my memory - this was after my favorite series moment: ROUGUE MACKIE: Vic tells Claudette to shove the badge & quits the force and do poo poo HIS way?

Yep, it was after that. Was also the episode where Mara tries to get Corinne to come around by telling her that she'll be an accomplice to attempted murder if she keeps helping Vic. I normally hate Mara but she was good in that scene. I also loving can't stand Julian who hamstringed Ronnie and Vic on Shane's whereabouts by wanting to run any info by Claudette first. I understand that Julian's character has to be the straight guy (no pun intended!) but he's just so drat boring.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Near end of S6. Ugghh Shane is such a loving idiot.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Really, this was the first show I think I've ever watched where at the end I had zero desire to ever revisit the world and the characters. Everyone has their ending, and there's not much left to say.

Lem and Shane are dead, Vic is in his own private hell (but still surviving, he's a shark. Always moving forward, never stopping) Ronnie is probably dead via Antwon Mitchell, Claudette is dying. Aceveda will keep playing the game like a less scrupled Tommy Carcetti from The Wire and will probably end up as mayor at least.

That's it. Everyone else will just keep going on about their lives with nothing else going on. I mean like, Dani has her son, Dutch is Dutch, and so on. But there's no story there, just life. If that makes sense.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

whatsabattle posted:

Really, this was the first show I think I've ever watched where at the end I had zero desire to ever revisit the world and the characters. Everyone has their ending, and there's not much left to say.

By that do you mean that you have no desire for more episodes? If that's what you mean, then I agree 100%. They ended it perfectly. IF anything, Julien is the only character, off the top of my head, who had any real unresolved issues. But by the end of the series, he had become a tertiary character. And like you said, Dutch is Dutch, and they probably could have milked his character for a couple more seasons. Perhaps they would show Claudette continuing to try to do her job, then die, and have a funeral scene. That would leave the Dutch, dying Claudette, and Julien show. Fascinating.

If what you meant is that you have no desire to re-watch the series, I can't understand that. I'm going to wait a year before I do my first re-watch, but I can't wait to go through it all over again.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Exploder posted:

By that do you mean that you have no desire for more episodes? If that's what you mean, then I agree 100%. They ended it perfectly. IF anything, Julien is the only character, off the top of my head, who had any real unresolved issues. But by the end of the series, he had become a tertiary character. And like you said, Dutch is Dutch, and they probably could have milked his character for a couple more seasons. Perhaps they would show Claudette continuing to try to do her job, then die, and have a funeral scene. That would leave the Dutch, dying Claudette, and Julien show. Fascinating.

If what you meant is that you have no desire to re-watch the series, I can't understand that. I'm going to wait a year before I do my first re-watch, but I can't wait to go through it all over again.

Oh yeah sorry I was unclear there, I will most likely rewatch the whole thing again, but I don't have any desire to see new stories told with those characters. My brain is weird and affected by a long comic book reading history, and a small bit of it when idle will go "oh hey wouldn't it be cool if [untold tale of fictional characters] yeah that would be cool!" but not here. The Shield and House so far are the only shows my brain is 100% over.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
On my first full rewatch via Amazon Prime, I've burned through 2.5 seasons so far. Mara still annoys the crap out of me. Also I love the name of the handicap painter informant, VanBro.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

tomapot posted:

On my first full rewatch via Amazon Prime, I've burned through 2.5 seasons so far. Mara still annoys the crap out of me. Also I love the name of the handicap painter informant, VanBro.

Oh man, I forgot about Vanbro. He was definitely one of my favorite informants.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just finished the series. I don't get what the hype was, the ending was garbage. Just kidding, I thought it was great but a little hamfisted. Ok, I get it.... Vic's sentence is a "prison" term behind a desk complete with "lights out" at 6pm, a uniform (his shirt and tie), and even a mail cart delivering things to his "cell" and no hope of seeing his family again. I just felt like it was spoonfeeding us the symbolism a bit too much, but the very last frames of him rushing out with his gun were awesome. All in all a very good ending.

I was really unsure about the series when I first started watching it. Fresh off of watching The Wire, the first couple of episodes didn't do much for me but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
So I've been running through the seasons with someone who never saw the show and she's completely hooked.

However, tonight we're finishing the last three episodes of season 5 and gently caress I don't want to see that again :smithicide:

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Twee as gently caress posted:

So I've been running through the seasons with someone who never saw the show and she's completely hooked.

However, tonight we're finishing the last three episodes of season 5 and gently caress I don't want to see that again :smithicide:

I don't think I can watch it with someone who never has :smith:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

bobkatt013 posted:

I can not believe that was the original Black Ranger.

That was Rondell

Bluff
Oct 7, 2009

by Ralp
Rewatching season three of Justified it hit me how great Walton Goggins is. He kills it in the shield playing a ham-fisted sycophant and turns around and plays the sinister small town crime lord to a T.

Bluff fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 15, 2013

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
With Vic's fate one of the things that always cracked me up was listening to the explanation of his expected duties: to be submitting x amount of single-spaced type written reports of intel analysis per day, per week, etc. I remember thinking that I never worked that hard in college.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dead Snoopy posted:

With Vic's fate one of the things that always cracked me up was listening to the explanation of his expected duties: to be submitting x amount of single-spaced type written reports of intel analysis per day, per week, etc. I remember thinking that I never worked that hard in college.

Its like that with every job though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Its like that with every job though.

She is also giving him the most work possible since she hates him.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 15, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
So we finished season 5 last night.

:negative: there was silence in the house for like 15 minutes after that. When we had to start season 6 right away because gently caress. I ended up shedding a couple of tears once again. Lem :smith:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Season 3, Ep 11

Dutch interviewing the Cuddler, trying to figure out what makes him tick, just a great scene.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
This show is so retarded sometimes.
S7, Vic tries to kill Shane and his family in broad daylight at a hotel? And then outside the hospital? Yeah like no one would loving notice him there or hear gunshots jesus.

// oh gently caress I'm nearing the end.
Vic laying it all out for his deal. Ronnie is screwed isn't he :(

Wait,
on what grounds were they gonna arrest vic when he was in ICE? They didn't catch him on the money drop off.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 16, 2013

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

This show is so retarded sometimes.
S7, Vic tries to kill Shane and his family in broad daylight at a hotel? And then outside the hospital? Yeah like no one would loving notice him there or hear gunshots jesus.

I wouldn't say that was retarded. I think that was totally in character for Vic, given his ego and hubris. Besides, Ronnie killed that Armenian in a hotel room, in broad daylight, and got away.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

// oh gently caress I'm nearing the end.
Vic laying it all out for his deal. Ronnie is screwed isn't he :(

Wait,
on what grounds were they gonna arrest vic when he was in ICE? They didn't catch him on the money drop off.

I could watch that scene over and over again on repeat and it will never get old. What brilliant acting by Chiklis and Laurie Holden.

And as for you last point, I can't remember the exact details, but I think they were going to arrest him based on lesser charges? They had some circumstantial evidence, the phone conversations between Corinne, Vic, and Mara, etc. Someone else will have to help me out with this, because I'm pretty much drawing a blank.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Welp, finished it. Holy poo poo the (Wire spoilers) ending for Vic feels super similar to Marlo's ending in The Wire. Or whatever the bad guy's name was in S4 of the Wire.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Season 4:

A couple of episodes in on my re-watch. Not sure if I feel sorry for Shane trying to be Vic and failing miserably. Vic was his role model, but he always fell short under him. He's trying to be in power and stay in control and not being smart or skilled enough to pull it off.

Also, Glenn Close and Anthony Anderson, forgot how good they were on this show.

Holy poo poo, I forgot about "Hungry Like a Wolf".

tomapot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 22, 2013

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Welp, finished it. Holy poo poo the (Wire spoilers) ending for Vic feels super similar to Marlo's ending in The Wire. Or whatever the bad guy's name was in S4 of the Wire.

Hmm, I never really thought of it that way, but you're right. More Shield and Wire finale spoilers: Marlo and Vic both had delusions of getting out of their respective "games", coming out on top, and playing it straight from there on out. Both ended up being "free", as in not going to prison, but still ended up being incarcerated, in a sense. Karma's a bitch.

It's been a couple years since I watched The Wire, so it isn't exactly top of mind. I really need to go back and re-watch The Wire.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Season 4 done

As much as I knew what was coming, I really hoped that Lem would get away with taking that heroin from the dealer. Sucks that it all stems from helping out Shane.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Just finished the series and have a lot of thoughts running around my head. The main one is that Michael Chiklis does some amazing non-verbal scenes. Just the expression on his face should have won an Emmy.

As much as I watched the show week-to-week there was still some parts I forgot all about. Wish I had forgotten about a few more so I could have been surprised all over again. I'm going to tell my daughter that when I'm old and have Alzheimer's disease that she should play this show for me all the time so I can be all "holy poo poo!" over again.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
For all The Shield vets, an excellent read - especially about the idea for a Shield movie

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/09/10/good-cop-bad-cop-an-oral-history-of-the-shield/

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Oh my god drat this show is stellar. I don't know why I had to find this thread all the way at the end of TVIV. Just finished season 5, didn't like it as much as 4 but still a couple of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's at the end of TVIV because we've already had a recent rewatch with new people. Hopefully it'll all start up again soon.

EDIT: vvvv Yeah, exactly this.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 11, 2013

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yes. All of us who have seen it a million times want to vicariously experience it for the first time through new viewers, so don't blame us!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Re-watching this for the first time since the last episode aired on FX. I think I like the show more now then I did back then, don't know why but there you go. Half way through season 2 and I still like Vic, lets see how long that last this time.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Vic the whole show tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Darth Freddy posted:

Re-watching this for the first time since the last episode aired on FX. I think I like the show more now then I did back then, don't know why but there you go. Half way through season 2 and I still like Vic, lets see how long that last this time.

Its probably from watching the last 7 years of television and never having anything really approach the level The Shield does(Breaking Bad?). Especially cop dramas though. The Wire aside, because its not really a cop drama in the traditional sense, in the past decade there is pretty much The Shield and an ocean of crap. I think Southland is decent, and has had some high points, but nothing close to the overall quality of the seven seasons of the Shield.

• Locked thread