Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Running v28.0.1500.52 beta - why can't I see my apps when I open a new tab? I just get a Google search bar and my eight most visited sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Is there not a big screen-tall button with a > on it on the right side, or an Apps button on the bottom?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did something just change in the omnibar? When I start typing there all I get is regular google search suggestions now, it doesn't suggest pages from my history. Like I start typing "bookmark" and it doesn't suggest the forums bookmarked threads list any more. It says that I am on "28.0.1500.52 (Official Build 207119) beta" on OSX.

edit: Holy crap this is annoying. I didn't realize how much I relied on just typing whatever into the search bar and having it pull up what I really meant.

withak fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 25, 2013

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm on the same beta and I am getting usercp.php in my omnibar.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It autofills in domain names correctly, but nothing else from my history comes up. :-/ All I get is search suggestions.

If i start typing "forums" then it gives me the bookmarked threads list.

PS. bookmarkthreads.php is better than usercp.php

withak fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 25, 2013

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Onean posted:

Is there not a big screen-tall button with a > on it on the right side, or an Apps button on the bottom?

Nope, neither!

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
I have really slow internet at the moment so when I am viewing 1080p or higher videos on YouTube I have to pause and let it buffer so I can watch without it freezing.
Only trouble is YouTube decides to stop buffering after a certain point unless I unpause and then pause again.

I have tested in Firefox and this problem doesn't appear, it will buffer all the way if left on pause.

Anyone have an idea of the cause/solution?
It was doing it on windows 8 previously but I did a fresh windows 7 install on Friday and its still doing it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Same thing happens to me, it is tremendously annoying. I have to say I'm getting pretty irritated with this browser, even though I still really like it. If that makes any sense.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Another thing I forgot, once the video has finished playing if I hit the replay button it starts downloading the whole video again instead of playing from cache (assuming its in the cache somewhere, not looked).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
And god help you if you want to rewind a few seconds to watch a bit again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the buffering stopping is a bandwidth conservation measure so that if you decide to stop watching then it won't have downloaded the entire video unnecessarily.

This only works on a connection fast enough that you can always download faster than you can watch though; the right behavior would be for it to take your available bandwidth into account and let you buffer more if you need it. If your connection is slow enough then it should be able to tell that and let you buffer the entire thing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

I think the buffering stopping is a bandwidth conservation measure so that if you decide to stop watching then it won't have downloaded the entire video unnecessarily.

I can't remember what it was but there was an article about YouTube published recently that went into the changes in how they provide the video feeds. Since they want videos to start playing as soon as possible, vids are broken into really small chunks. This is in contrast to their original "entire vid is available and starts streaming as one chunk" method.

That's why it's hard to rewind (you've selected a previous chunk that's been discarded) and why it doesn't keep downloading the whole vid when you pause (you've finished the current chunk).

I do think it figures out connection speed and adjusts accordingly though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

myron cope posted:

Hey Okposolypse, Lifehacker just put up a guide to installing (ubuntu) Linux on a chromebook http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

I installed it on my Pixel from I/O and it was really nice. I still don't see the particular use for the Pixel unless you pay for the 4G service, but then I'd eat up data like its going out of style, and I'm loving broke. The Pixel sucks to a new level of annoying suckage at airport wifi, or any of those wifi situations you have to sign into a free service like at a coffee shop. I mean like unusable. I called a "chrome ninja" which is their 16 year old tech support in mountain view that's free for life and they guy walked me through about 300 things only to say verbatim that public wifi is basically unusable on a Pixel.

FunOne posted:

Not Chrome related, but Google related: Has anyone received the unified storage capacities or Wallet send money features yet? I'd actually like to send someone some money, but I have no desire to give my banking details to PayPal or other services if I don't have to.

PM me, I'll send you a penny via Wallet.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Not an Anthem posted:

PM me, I'll send you a penny via Wallet.

Thanks, but I posted something on a G+ developer post about "When do I get it?" and got it the next day. Same with the unified storage. Now I'm finally uploading my photos to G+, mostly because Flickr decided to be terribly stupid.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, looks like it's AdBlock leaking. I switched from ABP to AdBlock because of a leak in the first place. :\

Ugh, I think I have the exact same problem. Are there any other good ad blockers?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

Running v28.0.1500.52 beta - why can't I see my apps when I open a new tab? I just get a Google search bar and my eight most visited sites.

Onean posted:

chrome://flags > Enable Instant extended API Disabled

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

chrome://flags > Enable Instant extended API Disabled

I tried disabling this because I am the exact opposite and never want to see "apps" in my browser (chrome beta updated today and re-enabled it ugh) and it isn't working.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out you have to enable it for what I want.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
My shortcut with the --disable-new-menu-style switch on it is no longer disabling the new menu style :( Is there a workaround to this lovely spaced-out menu?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

boneration posted:

My shortcut with the --disable-new-menu-style switch on it is no longer disabling the new menu style :( Is there a workaround to this lovely spaced-out menu?

Right-click on the blue (or whatever color your theme sets it to) bar. :v:

Note: Doesn't actually fix this silly decision, just a funny oversight I noticed a little while ago.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm on Chrome 28 and I explicitly enabled rich notifications in chrome://flags. Why don't I see anything? Do I have to explicitly install a notification center or something? I also checked my Windows services and didn't notice anything that looked like a notification center. I've already rebooted as well.

Edit: Ugh I'm dumb and thought that Gmail and Calendar notifications were something built in, but the pics that were being shown were third party extensions.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 11, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

boneration posted:

Official response is "when we told you non-tablet scrubs about the flag we said it wouldn't be around forever, get with the times shitlords and love our whitespace."

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
That's a perfectly fine response. I mean it.

What Google probably didn't think about was all the scenarios where it sucks. Like if you have a few add ons that stuff themselves in the context menu. Or when you right click to correct a spelling mistake that has a lot of potential corrections. And so on.

It doesn't take much, especially on a laptop, for the menu to take up a huge amount of the vertical space.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Is this something that can be fixed with a addon? Thing looks horrid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I've said it before: someone needs to code Compact/Comfortable/Cozy in. The menu styles wouldn't be so annoying if I could switch them to Compact.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
With the new notification center is there a way to allow something to pop up a notification but have it not go into the system tray icon?

CrackDealer
May 12, 2001
Just some in-valid
--force-fieldtrials="NewMenuStyle/Compact2/" seems to be working at the moment as a replacement for the old --disable-new-menu-style
(I seem to be using Version 28.0.1500.72 m).

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Awesome, that works. It doesn't re-enable the OS native context menu, but it does tighten things up just enough. Thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm having some strange issues with flash and (I think) Java applets on Chrome 28.0.1500.71; whenever they load up, the entire page and browser go invisible for a brief moment. With Youtube videos, once they first load up my desktop flashes for a moment and on certain news sites where they have a Java based scrolling news applet on the page, each time a new news item scrolls up the page momentarily goes invisible again. Anyone else having this?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I'm using Version 28.0.1500.72 m.

I can't figure out why my video and sound are slightly out of sync in youtube. I've got an older computer with a Core 2 Duo and Windows 7. Playback seems to be fine in IE and Firefox but struggles in Chrome.

I'm also using:

Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 11.8.800.97
Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800

Any suggestions?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Disable the non-pepperflash one in about:plugins

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chrome Beta just updated and now the ugly Instant Extended omnibox dropdown is always there whether you disable the Instant Extended API or not. Looks like they did fix the alternate search provider shortcuts not working and search results being prioritized over historical results though so now the worst thing about the Instant Extended API is the horrible New Tab Page.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are there any recommend extensions that make Chrome's Bookmark Manager at least a little better?

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 18, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there an extension to show a progress bar somewhere while a page is loading? I am on a slow connection and it would be nice to have an idea whether an image-heavy page is going to take 10 more seconds to load or 100 more seconds to load.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Rather strange bug with Google Search, I keep getting this where the notifications bell should be:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm having a problem with Chrome App Launcher, I think it's completely bugged. I installed it on my machine running the very latest Chrome Beta, then I installed the stable version (28.0.1500.72 m) and Chrome Beta suddenly freaked out, a popup appeared stating I had installed a dev version of Chrome, and uninstalled Chrome Beta immediately (while it was still open) and forced me over to 28.0.1500.72 m.

All of my pinned apps disappeared, this included Chrome App Launcher itself. Afterwards, my Chrome apps stayed, but App Launcher is absolutely nowhere to be found.

I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. Still broken. I rebooted Windows (Windows 8.1). Chrome was still broken. I disabled all extensions and have never touched ://flags but App Launcher just refuses to open.

When I was reinstalling my extensions, I noticed it would open up fine when the extension was installed but once I interacted with it in any way, the icon disappeared and won't come back.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearch/Chrome$20App$20Launcher/chrome/mglMDjKpL_Q

This is pretty much the exact problem I'm having but it doesn't seem Google is paying much attention.

The funny part is, my laptop running the same version, OS, and browser channel is having absolutely no problems.

Got it fixed. Somehow Chrome Stable automatically uninstalling Chrome Beta while it was running caused the extensions to corrupt.

I had to completely uninstall, not let extensions sync, and reinstall every extension one by one. Looks to work just fine now.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 26, 2013

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
How do you bring back a thumbnail from most visited sites you accidentally removed?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Is it just me or did Google finally fix the terrible 3x extra whitespace on menus?

Or am I just used to it now and it no longer bothers me?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It isn't quite down to Windows standard levels, but I too can confirm they cut the whitespace in half or so.

What would be really human of them is if the whitespace could be configured like on their web apps.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
2 questions:

1. Is there anyway to fix a problem with youtube where setting the resolution to 720p or higher often results in the video completely stopping until I refresh (especially if I try to skip ahead)? This has been happening more and more frequently as of the last 2 months.

2. Is there a download accelerator extension with pause/resume capability? I'm getting tired of messing with Internet Download Manager and now the cherry on top is that Chrome has decided to block it as a malicious plugin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Haeleus posted:

1. Is there anyway to fix a problem with youtube where setting the resolution to 720p or higher often results in the video completely stopping until I refresh (especially if I try to skip ahead)? This has been happening more and more frequently as of the last 2 months.

This also happens to me, but at lower resolutions because I'm on a slow connection. It buffers fine (but slowly) for some time, but then it just stops downloading somewhere in the middle of the video. When playback reaches that point the video just stops and nothing can make it start buffering and playing again except a page reload. It is like one chunk of the streamed data has flaked out and the buffering never retries from the broken spot.

I basically have to reload every video a handful of times to watch anything for longer than a minute or so.

It is pretty much impossible to google the problem because all you find are people whose complaints are obviously because their connection is too slow to stream at the resolution they want.

Google also apparently changed something over the last few months to optimize streaming by automatically stepping-down the resolution if the connection isn't fast enough, which also resulted in a bunch of buffering-related complaints. They also made it so buffering pauses once it gets far enough ahead of playback and restarts when playback starts to catch up.

withak fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 28, 2013