Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Uggggh why do I need to be saving money right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Is Still Walking worth a $20 blind buy? It sounds comparable to Ozu's stuff - I've seen Tokyo Story and Late Spring - or Yi Yi, all of which I really enjoyed.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
If you like Ozu then you'll definitely enjoy the film.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I went ahead and bought The Man Who Knew Too Much, Monsieur Verdoux, Down by Law, Colonel Blimp and Design for Living. I also got Repo Man, Medium Cool and the Qatsi Trilogy during the last, smaller sale. I am weak. :(

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Macrame_God posted:

I went ahead and bought The Man Who Knew Too Much, Monsieur Verdoux, Down by Law, Colonel Blimp and Design for Living. I also got Repo Man, Medium Cool and the Qatsi Trilogy during the last, smaller sale. I am weak. :(

Not as weak as I'm gonna get in three weeks. I just bought a car too :negative:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

There's some really great stuff in there. The BBS box is especially good if you like Jack Nicholson but make sure you have some illicit substances to partake in when you watch Head.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

leokitty posted:

Criterion just put up a sortable/searchable page of all their Hulu+ stuff http://www.criterion.com/hulu -- there's a ton I had no idea was on there so I'm already finding it useful :shobon:

e: For example I had no idea they'd put Voyage to Italy up already http://www.hulu.com/watch/406746?utm_source=site&utm_medium=play&utm_campaign=criterion

Wow I am glad I stumbled into this thread. I had no idea Hulu Plus was so amazing.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Is it true you still get commercials on Hulu+? I'm thinking about getting an account but that really turns me off.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

penismightier posted:

Is it true you still get commercials on Hulu+? I'm thinking about getting an account but that really turns me off.

Yes. You only get one per break, but you still get them. It's horseshit.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

GonSmithe posted:

Yes. You only get one per break, but you still get them. It's horseshit.

Ghouls.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

penismightier posted:

Not for movies, for TV shows it depends on the network.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
The little leader commercial when you watch Criterion stuff on normal Hulu says it's commercial free, but I don't know how up to date that is.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

penismightier posted:

You get commercials on tv shows but not on movies. I've watched quite a few and I've definitely never seen a commercial on a Criterion.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

If I eventually get Hulu+ all I'll probably do is watch Criterions anyway. And I can deal with a single commercial in the middle of a TV show that was made with having commercial breaks in mind.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The incredible Czech film MARKETA LAZAROVA has been added on Hulu Plus. I think you can watch it for free for one more day.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

September titles are up. I don't feel like posting specs/cover art, you can check their site for details.

My take:

Autumn Sonata - Obviously I'm buying this. Great new cover, and a 3.5 HOUR makng of feature. Holy balls.

Slacker & SWCIFTC - didn't buy them on DVD, not gonna buy them on Blu

Rossellini/Bergman box - the movies are okay but I have no desire to see them again.

La Cage Aux Folles - never seen it, never really wanted to. Might rent it, though

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
#671: La Cage aux Folles (BR/DVD, 8/10)

•New 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with director Edouard Molinaro
•Archival footage featuring actor Michel Serrault and Jean Poiret, writer and star of the original stage production of La Cage aux Folles
•New interview with Laurence Senelick, author of The Changing Room: Sex, Drag and Theatre
•French and U.S. trailers
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Ehrenstein
•More!

#672: 3 Films By Roberto Rossellini Starring Ingrid Bergman (4-disc BR/5-disc DVD, 8/24)

Which includes:

#673: Stromboli

•New digital film restoration of the English-language version, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New, restored 2K digital film transfer of the Italian-language version, Stromboli terra di Dio, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Archival television introduction by director Roberto Rossellini
•New interview with film critic Adriano Aprŕ
•Rossellini Under the Volcano, a 1998 documentary that returns to the island of Stromboli fifty years after the making of Stromboli

#674: Europe '51

•New digital film restoration of the English-language version, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New digital film restoration of the Italian-language version, Europa ’51, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with critic Adriano Aprŕ
•New interview with film historian Elena Degrada about the different versions of Europe ’51
•New interviews with Isabella Rossellini and Ingrid Rossellini, daughters of Roberto Rossellini and Bergman (DVD)
•My Dad Is 100 Years Old, a 2005 short film, directed by Guy Maddin and starring Isabella Rossellini (DVD)
•New interview with Fiorella Mariani, Rossellini’s niece, featuring home movies shot by Bergman (DVD)
•The Chicken, a 1952 short film by Roberto Rossellini, starring Bergman (DVD)

#675: Journey to Italy

•New, restored 2K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring film scholar Laura Mulvey
•New visual essays about Rossellini by scholars Tag Gallagher and James Quandt
•New interview with critic Adriano Aprŕ
•Ingrid Bergman Remembered, a 1996 documentary on the actor’s life, narrated by her daughter Pia Lindstrom
•A Short Visit with the Rossellini Family, a six-minute film shot on Capri while the family was there during the production of Journey to Italy
•New interviews with Isabella Rossellini and Ingrid Rossellini, daughters of Roberto Rossellini and Bergman (Blu-ray)
•Rossellini Through His Own Eyes, a 1992 documentary on the filmmaker’s approach to cinema, featuring archival interviews with •Rossellini and actor Ingrid Bergman (Blu-ray)
•New interview with Fiorella Mariani, Rossellini’s niece, featuring home movies shot by Bergman
•My Dad Is 100 Years Old, a 2005 short film, directed by Guy Maddin and starring Isabella Rossellini (Blu-ray)
•The Chicken, a 1952 short film by Roberto Rossellini, starring Bergman (Blu-ray)

#60: Autumn Sonata (BR/DVD, 9/17)

•New 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman from 2003
•Audio commentary featuring Bergman expert Peter Cowie
•The Making of “Autumn Sonata,” a three-and-a-half-hour program examining every aspect of the production
•New interview with actor Liv Ullmann
•A 1981 conversation between actor Ingrid Bergman and critic John Russell Taylor at the National Film Theatre in London
•Trailer
•English-dubbed track
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Farran Smith Nehme

#452: The Spy Who Came In From The Cold (BR upgrade, 8/10)

Same features as original release

#247: Slacker (BR/2-disc DVD, 8/17)

Same features as original release (I think)

- - -

Autumn Sonata is such a loving must-buy for me, not only was it my intro to Bergman but it's so great and the current DVD is so lovely, plus those extras are a knockout.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just got The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and The Man Who Knew Too Much from the Best Buy sale. Simply outstanding. Man.. has never looked watchable, but this is just as sterling as the remasters for The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps. Colonel Blimp is another revelation. The old DVD was quite good, but this looks fresh out of the lab. I can't get enough of 3-strip Technicolor on Blu-Ray, especially when it's Powell & Pressburger. I hope that A Matter of Life and Death is next in the pipeline since that would be an easy grab for Criterion considering how close they work with iTV and Sony.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Glad to hear about The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. I've been waiting a while for them to upgrade it before I decide to buy it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Any chance of Tokyo Olympiad getting a Blu release, or is that license gone forever?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Does this Mulholland Dr. rumor carry any real weight or is it just because Criterion is posting the famous projectionist request card around their social media accounts? Do they only post about films in/to be in their collection?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Friedpundit posted:

Does this Mulholland Dr. rumor carry any real weight or is it just because Criterion is posting the famous projectionist request card around their social media accounts? Do they only post about films in/to be in their collection?

I just came here to discuss this. I hope it's an actual harbinger and not just a tease, because MD is by far my most-wanted title that isn't yet on blu-ray (well, in this region anyway). For what it's worth, somebody over on CF.org observed this:

quote:

Also, for the skeptic who posted earlier, I'd say that this is as close to confirmation of an impending release that we'll get. Consider this inductively. First we get a tweet of a Godzilla film canister and then it gets released. Next we get a tweet apropos of nothing that we're aware of with David Cronenberg and several of his film canisters. Now we know that that was probably around the time that Criterion procured the rights to Scanners and The Brood. It seems very likely that this means that Mulholland Drive is forthcoming.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

loving sweet! My life needs some David Lynch on Criterion Blu-Ray.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The blu for the Pasolini set is $18.00 at amazon right now. It doesn't look like any other sets have a similar price drop:

http://www.amazon.com/Trilogy-Decameron-Canterbury-Criterion-Collection/dp/B008Y5OWKW/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

EDIT: It's gone. It vanished in the three minutes it took me to check out (and by that I mean it vanished from my cart when I went to go check out), so I'm guessing it was some kind of error.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 22, 2013

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
When Horror Came to Shochiku is on actual sale for $22: http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-37-Shochiku-Criterion-Collection/dp/B008Y5OXDI/

That's about 66% off.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I've been told that the B&N Criterion sale begins July 9th.
Can anyone confirm this?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

friendo55 posted:

I've been told that the B&N Criterion sale begins July 9th.
Can anyone confirm this?

I was also told this by a B&N employee. Probably accurate.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

It was July 9th last year, I hope they goof again and have the buy two get one free sale still up as well.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is anyone else considering buying Shoah with the B&N sale? It's got to be about the best single-movie bargain a person could get through this sale.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

caiman posted:

Is anyone else considering buying Shoah with the B&N sale? It's got to be about the best single-movie bargain a person could get through this sale.

I'm going for Godzilla myself, but wish I could pre-order The Devil's Backbone as part of the sale.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm going for the Brakhage set on bluray. 50 movies for the price of one.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

TrixRabbi posted:

50 Criticker ratings, that is.

I'm gonna try and not spend more than 100 dollars, that's my only real goal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Newsletter:

The .orgers are taking it to be It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, which makes sense given that the 50th anniversary is in November.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Re: Criterion doodle -

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World?

e:f,b

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion would probably only license It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if they could put out the restored version Robert Harris has been trying to get support from MGM for years. The MGM Blu-Ray looks fantastic considering it was from an 8K scan of the 65mm camera negative.

Which would be neat, since there's a whole scene with Buster Keaton and Spencer Tracy that's only in the roadshow cut.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

TrixRabbi posted:

I did this myself during that Amazon sale a few weeks ago.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion would probably only license It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if they could put out the restored version Robert Harris has been trying to get support from MGM for years. The MGM Blu-Ray looks fantastic considering it was from an 8K scan of the 65mm camera negative.

Which would be neat, since there's a whole scene with Buster Keaton and Spencer Tracy that's only in the roadshow cut.

I don't know if I really want more of a film that I already choke on but it'd be a really cool release if that were true.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion would probably only license It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if they could put out the restored version Robert Harris has been trying to get support from MGM for years.[...] Which would be neat, since there's a whole scene with Buster Keaton and Spencer Tracy that's only in the roadshow cut.
Unless there's some big announcement I've missed, the Keaton footage has been unaccounted for since the 70s, and the scenes and shots exclusive to the roadshow version only exist in a very compromised state (culled from a release print). That said, I saw the movie in a newly-struck 70mm print over Christmas and would gladly fork over the cash for a Criterion version.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Criterion via Facebook posted:

We're so excited that SCANNERS and THE BROOD are now available on iTunes... Our heads might explode.

These would be instant buys for me if they hit Blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CriterionCast says Harold Lloyd's The Freshman should be out in 2014.