Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I'm really just disappointed in their iOS apps. Seeing as how it's basically only their premium users who are using the apps, you'd think that's where most of their updates and retooling would go. Apparently not, though. It's utterly stupid that you still can't sync albums, you have to sync playlists and there's no search function for your playlists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I stopped paying for Spotify because I was sick of their recent bullshit, and one thing I've noticed is that they now have far less commercials. I don't think I've heard a single one and I've been listening for over an hour at this point. Which begs the question of why I should even pay for Unlimited again, since I only use it on my computer...

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Audio ads are played after a certain amount of time has passed from the previous audio ad or from Spotify launch. Then, ads are triggered in these conditions:
- A track ends and it is not the last track on your queue.
- You click the "Next" button or use a media key for "Next".
- A Spotify App changes the track.

If you manually double click another song before your current one ends and never let Spotify automatically play something else, you will never hear an ad. Keep in mind that outside US there is a 2.5 hour per week limit so you are pretty much required to pay in those regions.

quote:

I stopped paying for Spotify because I was sick of their recent bullshit
I would stop paying for Spotify, but I'm one of those guys that downgraded to previous versions and I still love them. Spotify's idea of using a native program instead of being browser-based is the best idea they've had and it's the reason it is such a joy to use compared to any of their competitors. Later versions have started integrating the web player's webpages into the regular client for seemingly no reason, which makes performance worse. How did they ever think this would be a good idea?

Because Mac OS X 10.5 can't run later Spotify versions, they are required to keep version 0.8.5.1356 running, including on Windows. This version is before most of the lovely changes, including playlist time and web-based artist pages and search results.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Superanos posted:

Audio ads are played after a certain amount of time has passed from the previous audio ad or from Spotify launch. Then, ads are triggered in these conditions:
- A track ends and it is not the last track on your queue.
- You click the "Next" button or use a media key for "Next".
- A Spotify App changes the track.

If you manually double click another song before your current one ends and never let Spotify automatically play something else, you will never hear an ad.

Well, I've been listening to my "Starred Tracks" playlist (400+ songs) on Shuffle for 3 hours now, and I've heard exactly one ad.

When I used the free version last (maybe 6 months ago) I would hear an ad every 20 minutes or so under the same circumstances.

Weird.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Superanos posted:

I would stop paying for Spotify, but I'm one of those guys that downgraded to previous versions and I still love them. Spotify's idea of using a native program instead of being browser-based is the best idea they've had and it's the reason it is such a joy to use compared to any of their competitors. Later versions have started integrating the web player's webpages into the regular client for seemingly no reason, which makes performance worse. How did they ever think this would be a good idea?

Because Mac OS X 10.5 can't run later Spotify versions, they are required to keep version 0.8.5.1356 running, including on Windows. This version is before most of the lovely changes, including playlist time and web-based artist pages and search results.

I got pissed and downgraded a few weeks back. Then the workaround to stop the program updating...stopped working. Do you know another workaround to stop upgrades on OSX 10.8.3?

They got rid of ALBUM ART VIEW and changed the FONT and the entire layout the ALBUM PAGES. The recent versions took 5 MINUTES TO LOAD on a brand new Macbook Air when 0.8.5 starts up instantly.

They also had the brilliant idea to remove everyone's followers and who they were following -- in lieu of "FOLLOW THIS ARTIST WHO ACTUALLY ISN'T USING SPOTIFY." I could give a rat's rear end about following artists on Spotify, I just want to follow and share with friends. Also I think they took out DRAG AND DROP SHARE.

Their forums have exploded in rage, but that doesn't change anything. If Google All Access gets an iPhone app I'm 80% jumping ship since I'm that annoyed. I can't remember the last time I've been this angry at a company's decisions. I know they wanted to jump to HTML or whatever, but it can't be to the complete detriment of your software. It just can't.

I won't even get into the mobile apps. Can I please just jump to the bottom of a playlist somehow...please! I'm going to die one day scrolling through a 200 song playlist while driving.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 31, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

PaganGoatPants posted:

I won't even get into the mobile apps. Can I please just jump to the bottom of a playlist somehow...please! I'm going to die one day scrolling through a 200 song playlist while driving.

I don't think that will help you not die much, really.

In other news:

quote:

What's in this version:
New: Spotify now works in landscape mode.

:toot:

Using Google again reminds me how much I hated the "better hope it's tagged perfectly the first time" aspect of trying to organize it. Keeping all my music that's not available on Spotify on Google Drive so I can just manage it in fb2k would be better in a lot of ways.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is probably a label issue, but it's taking for-loving-ever to get new albums on Spotify lately. I've been waiting on the new National and Vampire Weekend albums for a week.

These both just showed up.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eegah posted:

These both just showed up.

They went up a few days after I posted that. The new Queens of the Stone Age album, on the other hand, went up the second it came out.

It's just a label issue I guess. I almost understand the strategy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Blast Fantasto posted:

They went up a few days after I posted that. The new Queens of the Stone Age album, on the other hand, went up the second it came out.

It's just a label issue I guess. I almost understand the strategy.

Huh, I didn't see either one until today, so it may be a regional thing as well. Who the hell knows (except for Black Keys, drat you Black Keys).

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Abu Dave posted:

Pink Floyd is on Spotify now, although it seems to be subscriber only.

Remember this?
Well, right now there's a banner on Spotify that says if "Wish You Were Here" gets one million plays they will release the whole catalogue.
You know what to do!
http://livemusicblog.com/2013/06/13/pink-floyd-to-release-catalog-on-spotify/

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Since Spotify went through the massive layout change with the album pages and stuff, it seems to crash on loading around 50% of the time on my mac. I used to love it, because it was so quick and easy to use, but it seems to be becoming increasingly bloated. Frustrating really.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nomapple posted:

Since Spotify went through the massive layout change with the album pages and stuff, it seems to crash on loading around 50% of the time on my mac. I used to love it, because it was so quick and easy to use, but it seems to be becoming increasingly bloated. Frustrating really.

Once Google releases an iOS app I'm gone. I just can't take the desktop app's crappiness anymore. I sound so bitter.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

torjus posted:

Remember this?
Well, right now there's a banner on Spotify that says if "Wish You Were Here" gets one million plays they will release the whole catalogue.
You know what to do!
http://livemusicblog.com/2013/06/13/pink-floyd-to-release-catalog-on-spotify/

It actually took longer than I expected, but they hit their goal and their back catalog is live now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Except it's missing some random songs like Fearless and Let there Be More Light, dunno why. Unless they couldn't get the rights to the sample of YNWA

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Abu Dave posted:

Except it's missing some random songs like Fearless and Let there Be More Light, dunno why. Unless they couldn't get the rights to the sample of YNWA

It looks like both of these are under their respective albums, as far as I can tell.

Going to use this to finally listen to the post-Wall albums I never bothered with before.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

TransatlanticFoe posted:

It looks like both of these are under their respective albums, as far as I can tell.

Going to use this to finally listen to the post-Wall albums I never bothered with before.

The Division Bell has some good moments if you like oohs, ahhs, and blues guitar. (I do)

This is loving awesome. I was just expecting the normal studio albums (not even obscured/more) without much extra stuff. Asking for a million listens of WYWH was pretty stupid though. That's not exactly the track an obsessive fan goes to since it's been played so goddamn much. I'm still going to carry around :spergin: rips of the albums, but just having Wembly on hand any time is loving awesome.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is there a way to control the desktop client from the mini icon in the taskbar without opening the client? It's stupid. You can access player controls by right-clicking the icon, but it opens the full client window. I just want to right-click and change a song without interrupting what I'm working on.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Go install Toastify and use the global hotkeys, it's way more convenient and I have no clue why they didn't just add it to the client.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks! I didn't know there were third party plugins. Are there any other notable ones?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Equalify ( http://www.equalify.me/ ) is an equalizer. It has some kind of plugin/visualization support too, and a basic crossfeed without any adjustments.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Oh man, thanks a lot for that. I tried to rig up global hotkeys with AutoHotKey a long time ago but could never get it just the way I wanted. This does it.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Occasionally, a song just won't play. Is this something that's on my end or should I report it?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

You might be talking about albums you have that are in a format it doesn't play, like .m4a . At least that's what happens to me sometimes and it's annoying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paperback Writer posted:

You might be talking about albums you have that are in a format it doesn't play, like .m4a . At least that's what happens to me sometimes and it's annoying.

It will play .m4a files if you have Quicktime installed, but not if you didn't legally buy them from the iTunes store.

Also, if you rip songs from a CD, sometimes Spotify will refuse to play them because :iiam:

e: Just "unlink" them or, better yet, use Winamp to listen to local files

precision fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's more like I'm listening to an album that I don't have on my computer, and one track just won't play.

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

The Monkey Man posted:

It's more like I'm listening to an album that I don't have on my computer, and one track just won't play.

I had this happen to me with I Love NYC by Andrew WK off I Get Wet. It'd play maybe 15 seconds of the song and then move to the next one. Never figured out why that happens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's also annoying that some albums have half the songs greyed out for reasons I can't even figure.

I guess it's something to do with licensing product names and/or samples, because off the top of my head all I can think of are "The Light From Your Mac" by The Rakes and a few Negativland tracks.

It double-sucks because I have that Rakes album on my computer but Spotify refuses to play it even if I unlink it.

Also, that MONO album is still listed as a "single". :suicide:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress happened to the "New Music" tab?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

What the gently caress happened to the "New Music" tab?

New Music is a section for me (right now). They changed it a while ago to 'Discover', which was terrible. I saw lots of bitching on their feedback community. I had an update to the client a few weeks ago which brought back 'What's New'.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

New Music is a section for me (right now). They changed it a while ago to 'Discover', which was terrible. I saw lots of bitching on their feedback community. I had an update to the client a few weeks ago which brought back 'What's New'.

My update yesterday gave me Discovery. :smith:

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

You can access both screens through the search bar regardless of feature rollout status.

Type spotify:app:home on the search bar and then press enter to get to What's New. For Discover, it's spotify:app:discover.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spotify added The Eagles this week. They're on a roll. Bring on AC DC and Zep!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Newcomer to this thread!

Been using Spotify for quite a few years now, previously the free version with the ads ("Hi, this is Jonathan from Spotify!") and since the time restraints came into place (in the UK at least) I've been using Unlimited, which I'm generally fine with as it's probably saved me money. I don't really follow the community outside of the "Spotify Status" Twitter so I don't really know the criticisms in-depth. It's kind of become a significant part of my music intake so I just hope I don't become too jaded about it. :ohdear:

Pink Floyd's been a good addition, though I've not listened to as much of it as I thought I might do. The recent acquisition I'm still happiest about is Zappa, that's been great. I quite like the Discover feature as it's helped me find broad playlists and albums I was unaware of, particularly regarding dance music. I don't remember ever getting as much mileage out of What's New for some reason, maybe I was just being a twonk. I haven't found any jazz gems in some time though.

Been listening to this broad selection of older house/techno/rave tracks most recently: http://open.spotify.com/user/awmb/playlist/7oNmwwJYVEG9AJ2V1jf04x
And this blanket Goa trance compilation, as summer background noise mostly I guess?: http://open.spotify.com/album/1Qa16waW8SaZWlYT9FTGns

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Superanos posted:

You can access both screens through the search bar regardless of feature rollout status.

Type spotify:app:home on the search bar and then press enter to get to What's New. For Discover, it's spotify:app:discover.
Good tip, thanks.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Newcomer to this thread!

Been using Spotify for quite a few years now, previously the free version with the ads ("Hi, this is Jonathan from Spotify!") and since the time restraints came into place (in the UK at least) I've been using Unlimited, which I'm generally fine with as it's probably saved me money. I don't really follow the community outside of the "Spotify Status" Twitter so I don't really know the criticisms in-depth. It's kind of become a significant part of my music intake so I just hope I don't become too jaded about it. :ohdear:

I've got some criticisms, but it doesn't bother me in the grand scheme. I have instant access to an incredible amount of music. I listen to music all day at work, frequently at home, and most times in the car. I came from MOG Primo service and they had their own faults as well. It was the MOG Roku channel which finally drove me away from that service. The Spotify Roku channel is nicer but still not without some problems.

I've built a massive +3k song playlist in Spotify so it's going to take a good service to draw me away from that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there a quick way to delete playlists or do I have to go down them all one by one?

Found a program that cleans all my playlists out.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 27, 2013

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

me your dad posted:

I've built a massive +3k song playlist in Spotify so it's going to take a good service to draw me away from that.

This is pretty much how I've steered my Spotify usage too, by using a "master playlist" that consists of a random mishmash of music I find appealing in any way whatsoever for memory's sake, though it's only a fraction the size of your playlist even after all these years.

If I was out and about more often, particularly if I had regular, lengthy commutes, I'd probably consider upgrading even for the portable/offline features. I don't really know much about those though, my use is entirely confined to my computers at the moment.

Been listening to more Goa trance, this time Man with no Name's Moment of Truth. Spotify has helped me get into stuff like this, as I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy much of it before.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Now they put me back with the 'Discover' tab :argh:

I learned you can type tag:new into the search box to bring up all additions to the catalog. It looks like no results were found but at the top it shows the albums.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

me your dad posted:

Now they put me back with the 'Discover' tab :argh:

I learned you can type tag:new into the search box to bring up all additions to the catalog. It looks like no results were found but at the top it shows the albums.

Cool! Otherwise I would never have found out that "Mozart for babies" was a thing: spotify:album:1NbxBhYOVPuQsbq4gs1p5G
Also available in "Beethoven" flavour: spotify:album:5HXpS67RRDanzihBu4u3Te

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Turambar posted:

Cool! Otherwise I would never have found out that "Mozart for babies" was a thing: spotify:album:1NbxBhYOVPuQsbq4gs1p5G
Also available in "Beethoven" flavour: spotify:album:5HXpS67RRDanzihBu4u3Te

If you keep going you get to about 2,000 lovely karaoke albums.

• Locked thread