Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Polymerized Cum posted:

It depends on the aircraft. Some are very forgiving in an auto (B206) and others are not (EC135)

A full stop, engine-out auto is a difficult move to land successfully. And by successfully, I mean to the extent where the helicopter can be rebuilt. The cyclic has to come back IMMEDIATELY without hesitation, as the collective is dropped. The military practices these often, civilian pilots do not.

In the book Chickenhawk, the author tells of military heli flight school in the early sixties. He makes it sound like the instructors cut power completely at least once every flight in the most inopportune moments imaginable, to practice autos. I don't know if it's still that way.

If you're in any way interested in helicopters, it's a good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bell Helicopter Training Academy does idle-power autos to the ground, one of the few places I know of that does them. Most places practice autos to a ground-effect hover, since touchdown is the most dangerous part.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Cool video from a MAFFS C-130 dropping retardant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6Phb3090M

That audio warning would get pretty :suicide: pretty fast.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
When I was doing my training for my CFII we were doing full downs to runways in the R22.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

movax posted:

Yeah, it's an urban legend when it comes to "there must be x stretches of y length for planes to land". I don't doubt there are stretches of highway where one could land a plane (it happens every now and then, usually a little Cessna though), but I don't know about taking off again. When you factor in specific states like dear old MI though, well, the plane probably isn't leaving the ground again.

I doubt if a single stretch of interstate highway is capable of supporting anything larger than an F-16.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

I doubt if a single stretch of interstate highway is capable of supporting anything larger than an F-16.

Why because of aircraft size or ACN?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

YF19pilot posted:

I believe the Eisenhower Interstate Act included language that required something like 1 mile of highway for every 5 miles be built for the purpose or capability of handling aircraft (1 straight mile for every 5 miles of road or something like that). Not sure, so I'll have to look it up. It's one of those "common knowledge" things, so it could be total bunk.

This is however 100% real here in Sweden. On my way to work, I used to pass two repurposed Viggen barns outside the village of Gimo. The plan was to abandon the fixed airbases for ones like these in the event of war.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Why because of aircraft size or ACN?

Both, but I was thinking specifically of ACN. Hell, we ran into problems at a major international airport over that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Groda posted:

This is however 100% real here in Sweden. On my way to work, I used to pass two repurposed Viggen barns outside the village of Gimo. The plan was to abandon the fixed airbases for ones like these in the event of war.

Aren't Swedish fighters designed with the requirement for them to operate off of roads?

Godholio posted:

Both, but I was thinking specifically of ACN. Hell, we ran into problems at a major international airport over that.

The E-3 has the same ACN as a C-5 so it's a weirdo jet in that it's not large but doesn't carry its weight well.. AS for highway width, I'm sure someone who cares much more about this than me can google a standard highway, 4 or 2 lane width, to compare to the largest airframe the USAF operates and go from there.

For those who aren't knowing of what an ACN is, it's aircraft classification number. Essentially something used in reference to what a runway and taxi way is stressed for whatever airframe

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The autobahn stretches and other places that can support aircraft also have removable center dividers with pavement underneath. Even if you have a 4 lane highway it often has a grass median with divider, etc. Also I'm sure the main thing is it is not designed to support that weight.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CharlesM posted:

Even if you have a 4 lane highway it often has a grass median with divider, etc. Also I'm sure the main thing is it is not designed to support that weight.

I can think of long, flat stretches of 3 lane rural interstate in the midwest that only have a wide grass median without any dividers, or at worst a ~3' high wire divider.

Also I doubt the DOT is going to give any fucks about the longevity of the highway if it gets to the point where there aren't any airbases or large enough civilian airports left to land at and certain stretches of the highway are designated impromptu landing strips.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

We have plenty of football fields for C-130s though!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hobbesmaster posted:

We have plenty of football fields for C-130s though!

Yeah but you'll wanna stick to grass fields, the rockets tend to ignite astro-turf a lot easier. :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

holocaust bloopers posted:

Aren't Swedish fighters designed with the requirement for them to operate off of roads?

Yes they are; that's why the Viggen has reverse thrust, which is extremely unusual in any fighter aircraft or any aircraft with afterburning engines. The Gripen (which replaced the Viggen) doesn't have reverse thrust, but has nose wheel brakes, good low speed aerodynamics (which allow for low approach speeds) and an airframe almost as rugged as a carrier-based aircraft (so it can fly steeper approaches and flare less before landing). All of these help keep the Gripen's landing distance to a minimum.

As for the question about road width; a four-lane highway without a grass median would be something like 75-80 feet wide, including shoulders. It's certainly a usable width, but bear in mind that most normal runways you see at major airports or military bases are either 150 or 200 feet wide (some are wider still). Landing on a runway that narrow can be pretty tough, especially with crosswinds or high approach speeds.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
We'd put the E-3 down on Eielson's runway. They were lazy fucks out there and only cleared the center 75 feet. It's fun.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

A trip to Castle Air Force Base Museum in Atwater CA today, despite the Texas-like heat out of nowhere.

Right at the gate, motherfucking Blackbird:

B-18 Bolo:

B-29 Superfortress:

That not enough plane for you? B-36 Peacemaker!*

* actually an RB-36, but poo poo, look at it.

:canada: CF-100 Canuck:

More to follow.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
More N3N pictures..

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Madurai posted:

B-29 Superfortress:

I think that's a B-50.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ehnus posted:

I think that's a B-50.

I think you're correct. Those are definitely not B-29 engines.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

ehnus posted:

I think that's a B-50.

It is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ehnus posted:

I think that's a B-50.

Same thing.

(Don't tell congress!)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ehnus posted:

I think that's a B-50.

You're correct. The museum has one of each.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

As for the question about road width; a four-lane highway without a grass median would be something like 75-80 feet wide, including shoulders. It's certainly a usable width, but bear in mind that most normal runways you see at major airports or military bases are either 150 or 200 feet wide (some are wider still). Landing on a runway that narrow can be pretty tough, especially with crosswinds or high approach speeds.

And the ones with a grass median will be unusable for almost anything. Who wants the nose gear in the grass, even if the mains magically line up on each side of the road?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Godholio posted:

And the ones with a grass median will be unusable for almost anything. Who wants the nose gear in the grass, even if the mains magically line up on each side of the road?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Anytime someone posts the Gimli Glider I have to re-read the wiki article about it. Thanks a lot.

It's a good read until you get to the part about the cause of the fuel shortage.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So after many years, I find myself visiting my parents, who live in Gander, NL. My dad has worked most of his career around the airport there, or in Gander Control center, the ATC hub that handles lots of traffic over the Atlantic. My dad took me out to supper on my birthday, and he told me an interesting story of Soviet aviation...

Gander used to be the western refueling point for communist bloc airliners flying to Cuba - as a kid I'd see all sorts of 'not-seen-in-the-west-generally' airliners. Being a kid of course I had no idea how unusual this was, but in retrospect, it was really cool: Cubana, Interflug, and most especially Aeroflot flew out of Gander all the time. I especially remember the Il-86s as those honkeys were loud. Earth-shakingly loud. The Soviets also takered in their own fuel, rather than buying it from the west.

Anyway, it's Febuary in the early 80s, and my dad is working as the manager of the control tower at the airport. One night, an Aeroflot Il-86 carrying VIPs to Cuba landed and managed to strike both inboard engines on the ground while doing so, even though the weather was (for once) fine. The VIPs are sent to the decadent capitalist luxury of the local hotel, while another Il-86 is flown in from the USSR, with the Aeroflot chief check pilot at the controls. That night, weather this Il-76 lands in is much more typical of darkest Newfoundland winter: absolutely appalling. Visibility is essentially nil - from the tower certain parts of the airport were cloaked in snowy darkness. So, this Il-86 is on final and is coming in for landing. He vanishes from the radar, and then...nothing. No response on the radio, no sound of thrust reversers, just silence. It's getting up to the time that the tower is legally required to start getting SAR crews out of bed, when the plane taxis up to her proper berth. The ground crew immediately report that the Il-86 has clipped some runway lights or something. So my dad is sent to meet with the pilot, who's English is not great but immediately starts complaining about the ILS being way off. A quick inspection of the runway told the story of the pilot's mistake.

Through the snow, the pilot had seen a string of lights, and assumed it was the runway's center-line. Gander has no center-line lights, so the lights the pilot had seen were of course the lights on the edge of the runway. He lands atop these, putting his Il-86 half into the several feet of snow on the side of the runway! So, yeah, no wonder he didn't need thrust reversers to slow down. So, they had to send a third Il-86...

Also I learned my dad was in the tower the night of the Arrow air disaster/possible terrorist attack. Interestingly, he's on the side of icing causing an accident, and gave me a plausible scenery as to how it could have happened. (I had no idea de-icing a plane cost $7000 in 1980s money, nor that you could refuse to have a plane de-iced. The Arrow Air DC-8 had refused de-icing before it took off, and apparently the Soviets *always* refused de-icing, because it cost too much money.)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nebakenezzer posted:

So after many years, I find myself visiting my parents, who live in Gander, NL. My dad has worked most of his career around the airport there, or in Gander Control center, the ATC hub that handles lots of traffic over the Atlantic. My dad took me out to supper on my birthday, and he told me an interesting story of Soviet aviation...

Gander used to be the western refueling point for communist bloc airliners flying to Cuba - as a kid I'd see all sorts of 'not-seen-in-the-west-generally' airliners. Being a kid of course I had no idea how unusual this was, but in retrospect, it was really cool: Cubana, Interflug, and most especially Aeroflot flew out of Gander all the time. I especially remember the Il-86s as those honkeys were loud. Earth-shakingly loud. The Soviets also takered in their own fuel, rather than buying it from the west.

Anyway, it's Febuary in the early 80s, and my dad is working as the manager of the control tower at the airport. One night, an Aeroflot Il-86 carrying VIPs to Cuba landed and managed to strike both inboard engines on the ground while doing so, even though the weather was (for once) fine. The VIPs are sent to the decadent capitalist luxury of the local hotel, while another Il-86 is flown in from the USSR, with the Aeroflot chief check pilot at the controls. That night, weather this Il-76 lands in is much more typical of darkest Newfoundland winter: absolutely appalling. Visibility is essentially nil - from the tower certain parts of the airport were cloaked in snowy darkness. So, this Il-86 is on final and is coming in for landing. He vanishes from the radar, and then...nothing. No response on the radio, no sound of thrust reversers, just silence. It's getting up to the time that the tower is legally required to start getting SAR crews out of bed, when the plane taxis up to her proper berth. The ground crew immediately report that the Il-86 has clipped some runway lights or something. So my dad is sent to meet with the pilot, who's English is not great but immediately starts complaining about the ILS being way off. A quick inspection of the runway told the story of the pilot's mistake.

Through the snow, the pilot had seen a string of lights, and assumed it was the runway's center-line. Gander has no center-line lights, so the lights the pilot had seen were of course the lights on the edge of the runway. He lands atop these, putting his Il-86 half into the several feet of snow on the side of the runway! So, yeah, no wonder he didn't need thrust reversers to slow down. So, they had to send a third Il-86...

Also I learned my dad was in the tower the night of the Arrow air disaster/possible terrorist attack. Interestingly, he's on the side of icing causing an accident, and gave me a plausible scenery as to how it could have happened. (I had no idea de-icing a plane cost $7000 in 1980s money, nor that you could refuse to have a plane de-iced. The Arrow Air DC-8 had refused de-icing before it took off, and apparently the Soviets *always* refused de-icing, because it cost too much money.)

So how in a time like that would you know an airports lighting configuration if you are a soviet plane flying into the eastern world? previous experience? That's pretty funny though. "you're ils is hosed!"

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Right, my dad has finally got his act together with the vintage airliners. Loads of 70's aviation pics inbound, mostly LGW. First up though, it's quiz time. Who can identify these?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Airpseed Ambassador

Short Belfast

Yak-40

Tu-104

Aviation Traders Carvair

:colbert:

Edit: Also, that particular Ambassador seems to be the only one that has survived to present-day.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 27, 2013

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Correct on all counts sir, and yes, that Ambassador was at Duxford undergoing restoration last I heard.

OK, airliner time as promised. All these taken at LGW between 1972 and 1976, except one at an airshow, details unknown.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Nice photos, thanks for sharing! Air show might be Paris, the Russians went there a lot and all Paris Air Show aircraft would get a big three-digit "show code" number painted on them, like the "460" on the An-26.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The big goofy wheels make this plane look even cuter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is fantastic. More than 300 35mm negatives found in the basement of a mall in Wichita, and they look like they're all from southern England in ~1944.

Not going to copy these and upload them to imgur, I'd feel so dirty. Just going to link. If this is considered leeching let me know and I'll pull them down, but there aren't any traffic limits on Flickr.

Crashed Vultee A-35:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2952532850/in/set-72157608125792619

Horsa glider:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2952741400/in/set-72157608125792619

P51 that came down a bit hard. In a field.
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2952016779/in/set-72157608125792619

That's okay though, here are a bunch more:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2953208982/in/set-72157608125792619

Look at this hot P-61:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2956146280/in/set-72157608125792619

Stirling bomber:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2959650979/in/set-72157608125792619

I've never seen a B-17 painted like this. Anyone know what gives?
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2963413660/in/set-72157608125792619

A Lancaster that finished up with 137 missions and is currently in a museum. This is it actually running:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2950178052/in/set-72157608125792619

Here's the set:
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/sets/72157608125792619/with/2950178052/

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phanatic posted:

I've never seen a B-17 painted like this. Anyone know what gives?
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/49024304@N00/2963413660/in/set-72157608125792619

Looks like a "formation ship," a worn out aircraft that was painted an exotic color and used to help arrange the bomber formations. It would land after that was done.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Axeman Jim posted:

Correct on all counts sir, and yes, that Ambassador was at Duxford undergoing restoration last I heard.

OK, airliner time as promised. All these taken at LGW between 1972 and 1976, except one at an airshow, details unknown.

Awesome! Thanks!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I'm sure most of you have seen this game by now but I thought I'd post the link anyway. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519330&perpage=40&pagenumber=310

Warthunder. A free2play ww2 up to Korea flight sim. It's not a full blown flight sim more of an arcade shooter but it has its moments. The OP explains it better. Squadrons were just added and we filled up pretty fast.

Anyway. It's a nice mouse keyboard diversion for an hour or so a day.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

You learn something new every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_goat

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

Madurai posted:

A trip to Castle Air Force Base Museum in Atwater CA today, despite the Texas-like heat out of nowhere.

Have any more of that F-4 in Thunderbirds colors?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MrChips posted:

Yes they are; that's why the Viggen has reverse thrust, which is extremely unusual in any fighter aircraft or any aircraft with afterburning engines. The Gripen (which replaced the Viggen) doesn't have reverse thrust, but has nose wheel brakes, good low speed aerodynamics (which allow for low approach speeds) and an airframe almost as rugged as a carrier-based aircraft (so it can fly steeper approaches and flare less before landing). All of these help keep the Gripen's landing distance to a minimum.

Gripen also angles the canard downward to act as an airbrake during landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

I just came across the goofiest looking plane I've ever seen. It's a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk. Apparently it was designed for crop dusting or whatever but drat is it ugly. It looks like it came out of a cartoon. http://youtu.be/v-asgD0s5Ss

Only registered members can see post attachments!