Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Huxley posted:

Finished up the sealed campaign with my first pool. Ended up with three Clones. So at least it's just like really cracking packs.

One of my pools has 3xMurder and 3xAssassinate. :aaa:

I've also got one with 6 Suntail Hawks. It is perhaps worth noting that in this format (as it is in paper), you are not limited to 4 copies of any card.

Gonna keep resetting slots until I get 9 Suntail Hawks and 9 Jinxed Idol (not really, but that would be hilarious).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Steam release is up. Downloading it now.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Steam version just unlocked. Sealed dock slots have been added to the DLC list too.
e:fb

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
If you preordered and it doesn't show up in your library still, click download demo on the store page and that seems to fix it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I have only the most basic understanding of the rules of MtG, never bought my own cards, etc & I've been playing this all morning & having a blast-- I guess I'm the target market?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pretty much. DotP games are mostly to try to teach you the game, and hopefully hook you enough that you dive into paper or MTGO. I do know that as a long time player who often takes breaks, they often rekindle my interest in the game.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah I 'grasp' the game but have zero understanding of how to deckbuild or any deep strategy yet I enjoy these games and pour way too much time into them.

I just don't bother playing with other people as it's embarrassing to lose over and over unless I just straight up get lucky.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Welp, I totally lost track of this series. Glad someone made a thread for it because if I had remembered to, it would have ended up a sad, non-updated thing like the last one. For some reason, even though I was all about DotP, 2013 didn't grab me much.

I was going to skip this version because of that, but I just found out it has Slivers. :getin:

e: Oh poo poo, it's already out? Uggghhhh, I have no money.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
^^^ The first part of the game is ~free~ so it can hold you over a bit.

I was pissed at how bad green was since I was having a hell of a time vs red. Got the red and smashed the first Inni duel, but the second one kept rolling over me because someone actually built a red deck without Electrickery. Went back to green and got through it first time.

This is what I honestly didn't like much about previous DOTP games. I really don't like the decks. I really wish it was like Blizzard's upcoming card game, where it's multiplayer and you make your own decks but cards are gotten as drops from winning games or from booster packs you buy. MTGO's "pay for everything" model makes me pretty sad annnnd there's no Android client of course.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

^^^ The first part of the game is ~free~ so it can hold you over a bit.

Is this true of the XBLA version? That's the one I'd be getting. I mean, I assume it has a trial, but the previous games' trials have been like one tutorial match with two decks to pick from. What sort of "first part" are we talking about here?

I'll probably end up trading in some game or another to pick it up as soon as I see Coyo7e playing it. I won't be able to resist.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, my initial sealed pool had three doors to nothingness. I am not sure if I should cry and try to figure out how to reset that, or try to build a terrible door to nothingness deck.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I dabbled in Magic back around 5th and 6th edition. I tried one of the older versions of this game, but the fact that deck building was missing made it boring. Now I hear sealed deck is back. Where can I read up in detail how it works? And is this a killer feature that should convince me to get 2014?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

Is this true of the XBLA version? That's the one I'd be getting. I mean, I assume it has a trial, but the previous games' trials have been like one tutorial match with two decks to pick from. What sort of "first part" are we talking about here?

I'll probably end up trading in some game or another to pick it up as soon as I see Coyo7e playing it. I won't be able to resist.
I'll get it eventually, but I'll probably be playing State of Decay. ;)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I'll get it eventually, but I'll probably be playing State of Decay. ;)

Well, uh... have fun playing terrible games, I guess? :smug:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is Windreader Sphinx worth building something around? Seems kind of like a cool ability & I've got a bunch of Trained Condors so I could do a shitload of drawing

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Where does it keep itīs savegames?
I got literally nothing but 2-3 drop sorceries and 5 or 6 creatures total out of my cardpool

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to sell/trade away my promo card? I don't play with the physical cards. I wouldn't know where to begin with this sort of thing though.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Ragequit posted:

Is it possible to sell/trade away my promo card? I don't play with the physical cards. I wouldn't know where to begin with this sort of thing though.

Start right here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3387998

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Best as I can tell you are stuck with your sealed pool on steam. I turned off cloud and deleted the local data, which resulted in opening packs again. Same cards. I deleted the data, tried changing my steam name before I opened the packs again, and same cards. Probably keyed off of your steam account name.

Who knows though. Maybe the cards are in the save data and somebody will figure out how to edit it, turning sealed into a horrible monster.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

Who knows though. Maybe the cards are in the save data and somebody will figure out how to edit it, turning sealed into a horrible monster.

Apparently the sealed card data is tied to your profile, but who knows maybe someone will find a way.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/213850/discussions/0/864971765246157768/

I got a decent set of silvers, and decided to build a deck around those. It's okay so far.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh god please tell me someone else beat the campaign. The ending music holy poo poo. Hahahahahahaha

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So again, no cross-platform between Steam and IOS/Android? I say this because my friend doesn't even own a computer but would be super-excited to play on his Android device, meanwhile I can only play this on Xbox or Steam.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Little Mac posted:

So again, no cross-platform between Steam and IOS/Android? I say this because my friend doesn't even own a computer but would be super-excited to play on his Android device, meanwhile I can only play this on Xbox or Steam.

I don't think so :( can't even find two headed giant mode so I think the versions are actually slightly different (2013 had no 2HG for iOS either)

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

InfiniteZero posted:

Roll the volume down to nothing instead.

This doesn't excuse the sloppy implementation and also makes me wonder why some apps seem to be rigorously tested before release but others (like this) get away with rookie mistakes (seriously nobody on the dev team or at Apple QA thought to check if the ONE switch on the iPad actually worked?).

I turned down the music and lost all sound on Android/Samsung 10.1. :psyduck:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I don't want to reinstall 2013 just to check it, but someone tell me - did they swap the position of the mulligan buttons, or am I just crazy.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I'm beginning to suspect the sealed pool randomizer is horribly broken.

My first sealed pool I finished the campaign with three Protean Hydras and two Redirects.

I opened a second pool for the hell of it and got two Ring of Three Wishes (Mythic) in a row.

E: Yeah, I think they swapped them, it's been screwing me up all day.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Why does the green deck have a colourless boardwiper, what a dick move.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Music in the main menu? Truly this is the future.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

Eldrazi themed decks are just one giant dick move in general.

every
Apr 24, 2008

In the iPad app, did they make it easier to target specific cards? Eg. when cards are stacked?

I remember trying to destroy specific lands or artifacts and not being able to poke the right part of the screen, so I'd get hosed.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mmkay posted:

I don't want to reinstall 2013 just to check it, but someone tell me - did they swap the position of the mulligan buttons, or am I just crazy.

Nope it's the same. At least it was for me on PS3.

Davincie posted:

Power creep from the paper version of the game has been splattered all over this version of Duels and I for one love it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

every posted:

In the iPad app, did they make it easier to target specific cards? Eg. when cards are stacked?

I remember trying to destroy specific lands or artifacts and not being able to poke the right part of the screen, so I'd get hosed.

You can double tap a stack like that and scroll side to side, then pick the one you want with the "choose" button to the right.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Huxley posted:

You can double tap a stack like that and scroll side to side, then pick the one you want with the "choose" button to the right.

Awesome. Does this work with lands? Playing against multi-colored decks, it's impossible to target a specific tapped land.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh god please tell me someone else beat the campaign. The ending music holy poo poo. Hahahahahahaha

Not just the ending music, christ, all of the video portions. You'd think with the amount of money they're rolling in they could manage something less embarrassing in either content or technical quality.

Just remember, they were hyping up the ending music on their website just a few days ago.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

every posted:

Awesome. Does this work with lands? Playing against multi-colored decks, it's impossible to target a specific tapped land.

I believe so. I remember doing it in 2013, stealing specific lands with Dominus of Fealty, then saccing them to Wand of the Elements.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Does this work on non touchscreen versions? I remember so very many times when there was a giant mess of crap on the table and someone could win by simply mass attacking because you could not declare blockers in a favorable manner due to she sheer amount of junk piled on top of itself. Certain decks were really really bad about that. You might also run out of time to declare blockers, but that is an entirely different issue.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure, I've only ever played it on my iPad, and I can't recall a situation where I've needed to block that specifically. Though I think you can poke twice rather than drag-and-drop your blocker, so presumably you could click your blocker once then double tap a defender and be able to scroll among the attackers.

I'll say, the one change that makes no sense to me because I played so much 2013, it's stuck in my muscle memory: I loved dragging up to put something onto the battlefield and dragging down to put it into my hand. It's super awkward to have the selection process now. I had a couple of instances last night where I failed to find off a Terramorphic because i screwed up the search.

Maybe it's an option I have clicked on/off. I'll dig more at it tonight.

every
Apr 24, 2008

Huxley posted:

I'll say, the one change that makes no sense to me because I played so much 2013, it's stuck in my muscle memory: I loved dragging up to put something onto the battlefield and dragging down to put it into my hand. It's super awkward to have the selection process now. I had a couple of instances last night where I failed to find off a Terramorphic because i screwed up the search.

Maybe it's an option I have clicked on/off. I'll dig more at it tonight.

Me too. I'm also an iPad-only guy, so definitely report if you find anything useful specific to that platform. Thanks!!

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Is the game available on smaller screen iOS devices this time around (iPhone, iPod)? I know it would be a pain to play but I don't have an iPad and Magic on my phone has a certain appeal to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
It was less about being specific with blocking and more about having a 2hg team attack with upwards of 20 creatures at once. The game doesn't resize the cards in that sort of situation like MTGO, it just jams them all on top of each other. It can be extremely difficult to click on each attacker individually, and the little orange arrows that show blocking only serve to blind you since there are so many all going to within a couple pixels of each other.

• Locked thread