Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Captain Swing posted:

And I'm stealing yours. :smug:

Okay, that was pretty funny.

Crowetron posted:

Edit: By the way, Wanderer, I am totally stealing your BSAA tabletop game idea.

Have at it. I've been going back and forth on it for a while between running it as All Flesh Must Be Eaten (which has the zombie rules right there and is pretty easy to pick up and play, but firearms in the baseline rules are hilariously loving dangerous) or Feng Shui (so wading through gunfire to smack somebody in the chops with your bare fists is a valid and defensible tactic).

Dark horse contender: Unknown Armies, because I like how it approaches character skills but don't like percentage-based systems. (Chris Redfield: Survival 90%, Punching For More Damage Than A Shotgun 75%, Leadership Style Based Around Reminding You of a Perfect Sitcom Dad 60%.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wanderer posted:

Okay, that was pretty funny.

Have at it. I've been going back and forth on it for a while between running it as All Flesh Must Be Eaten (which has the zombie rules right there and is pretty easy to pick up and play, but firearms in the baseline rules are hilariously loving dangerous) or Feng Shui (so wading through gunfire to smack somebody in the chops with your bare fists is a valid and defensible tactic).

Dark horse contender: Unknown Armies, because I like how it approaches character skills but don't like percentage-based systems. (Chris Redfield: Survival 90%, Punching For More Damage Than A Shotgun 75%, Leadership Style Based Around Reminding You of a Perfect Sitcom Dad 60%.)

I don't know when it's coming out but the Atomic Robo Fate system would work for this too. Apparently the rules are going to cover how to create your very own organizations. The example Hyperactive gave was the B.P.R.D

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That Resident Evil BSAA RPG thing is the best idea I've heard in a long time, it doesn't limit you to a particular background, you can come from pretty much anywhere on earth, there's already a huge lore (you'd have to retcon a shitload of things though), the monsters are already here, and the players have an excuse to be retarded when faced with stupid puzzles. Also you get to have people chose "master of unlocking" when they level up.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

WitchFetish posted:

That Resident Evil BSAA RPG thing is the best idea I've heard in a long time, it doesn't limit you to a particular background, you can come from pretty much anywhere on earth, there's already a huge lore (you'd have to retcon a shitload of things though), the monsters are already here, and the players have an excuse to be retarded when faced with stupid puzzles. Also you get to have people chose "master of unlocking" when they level up.

So basically X-Com: Resident Evil edition? I could live with that.

Alert! An underground umbrella facility has popped up in a forest outside of Kansas. Scramble the interceptors! Bravo Team!

Vakal fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 26, 2013

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WitchFetish posted:

there's already a huge lore (you'd have to retcon a shitload of things though)

Not really. Set it post-Revelations in 2005 when it gets U.N. funding and military connections and you're off to the races. The only reason to retcon anything is if your players do something so apocalyptically stupid that it prevents RE5 from happening ("Whoops. I unleashed Ebola-Plus and depopulated that hemisphere. My bad, doggs.").

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vakal posted:

So basically X-Com: Resident Evil edition? I could live with that.

Alert! An underground umbrella facility has popped up in a forest outside of Kansas. Scramble the interceptors! Bravo Team!

I never realized how much I wanted this until now.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

Policenaut posted:

I never realized how much I wanted this until now.

Instead of someone getting mind-controlled or rookie panic, the majority of friendly-fire deaths will be due to at least one of your team turning out to be a triple agent for Double Umbrella every mission.

Periodically, your scientists, engineers, backers, and sometimes complete strangers announcing their plans on the control room monitor will also turn out to have a 400-step plan to take over the world with a rare mutant strain of Dengue fever.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

NovaPolice posted:

Periodically, your scientists, engineers, backers, and sometimes complete strangers announcing their plans on the control room monitor will also turn out to have a 400-step plan to take over the world with a rare mutant strain of Dengue fever.

Also there's a chance your rookies are actually veterans with a huge amount of combat expertise fighting BOWs, but just never bother to mention it to their team mates.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Vakal posted:

Also there's a chance your rookies are actually veterans with a huge amount of combat expertise fighting BOWs, but just never bother to mention it to their team mates.

Well there's got to be at least one expert double/triple/quadruple secret agent on your team anyway, it's like.. RE101 since RE2 and Ada's introduction.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

limited posted:

Well there's got to be at least one expert double/triple/quadruple secret agent on your team anyway, it's like.. RE101 since RE2 and Ada's introduction.

wesker, the very first game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

wesker, the very first game.

Hey SPEAKING OF WESKER

YEAH. Still excited about this, haha.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Love that he shakes his hand like it hurt to punch, rather than grasping his biceps in agony due to the sheer strength needed to knock that big fucker a couple of feet in the air.

Question for Crowetron and the thread: Ustanak: worthy follow up to Nemesis or poor man's version?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Chris also shakes his hand like it hurt at the end of his combo against Wesker in RE5.

I like neat little touches like that.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I don't think Ustanak ever inspired the same fear as Nemesis but you gotta give him the gold medal for sheer effort.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Geight posted:

I don't think Ustanak ever inspired the same fear as Nemesis but you gotta give him the gold medal for sheer effort.

Ustanak is just too comical to be as terrible as Nemesis. He just appears in places, and that sequence when he's hanging from the helicopters was just loving ridiculous. I like the idea of him buying plane tickets to catch up with the heroes though. Or paddling a canoe out to the underwater station. :allears:

In the crossover Ustanak was actually enjoying the hell out of first class until Leon crashed the drat plane and ruined his flight. :argh: It also explains where he gets all those weird weapon arms from. Ustanak has his own wheeled luggage bag.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Completing the set with Captain Swing's much needed help.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 29, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Chris also shakes his hand like it hurt at the end of his combo against Wesker in RE5.

I like neat little touches like that.

The mocap was really well done in 5 and 6. Especially with Chris in RE5, you could really feel the force behind those punches.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ustanak is a pretty cool monster. He's no Nemesis, but he's got enough of a presence to be memorable. He also gets points for preparedness, since he apparently lugs around six different robo-arms everywhere he goes. Of course, Nemmy never needed robo-arms in the first place, but Ustanak is missing an arm so we'll give him a break.

I like Ustanak because he is a total reference to our old one-eyed pal, and even gets his scary hunting you segment in the mines, but is totally vulnerable to the new melee system. The final battle against Usty is both a fantastic throwback to Wesker's last hurrah, and a sort of therapeutic session for anyone who was terrified by Nemesis as a child. It's like "Remember that hulking unstoppable hellbeast that haunted your dreams a decade ago? Well, just go ahead and kick the poo poo outta him with your bare hands."

Ustanak owns. Jake owning Ustanak also owns. Nemesis is still the best.

Lunethex posted:

Goddamn, I love RE6 :allears:

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008
I have never seen the Ustanak Suplex before. :drat:

Also, this is just a random reminder but there's an EX3 costume event going on for RE6 right now. And I'm very glad the PC doesn't have any quotas that need to be met.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
You can also slide underneath him and then pull his leg to make him fall. I really like the animation work they did for that fight.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Spermando posted:

You can also slide underneath him and then pull his leg to make him fall. I really like the animation work they did for that fight.

You can roll around him and/or make his AI bug out so that he does a back hand and just turn his back to you etc. The legplex is nowhere near as satisfying as the two counters though :allears:

Seriously. You look at this fight and then you can't help but ask "Why didn't Jake just do everything in the game by himself? With Sherry? Sherry could have gotten some badass moments to complement his too, instead of her just being the happy-go-lucky peanut gallery for all the amazing things Jake does."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

WHO IS YOUR DADDY AND WHAT DOES HE DO

I really hope Jake takes off for future entries. For a new character, he had more personality than the rest of the entire cast combined.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lunethex posted:

I like how the Ustanak doesn't struggle once he's in the headlock. Kind of like he's thinking, "Ok, where's he going with this?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I like how the Ustanak doesn't struggle once he's in the headlock. Kind of like he's thinking, "Ok, where's he going with this?"

At some point during that fight he probably thought "I should've just given him the loving pistol"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wamdoodle posted:

Dude's clearly bracing himself and then in shock when Jake lifts the multi-ton monster off the loving floor. Don't tell me you'd be lucid in that situation. :colbert:

gently caress, these gifs make me sad I can't play RE6 properly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So uhh, what does Sherry do while Jake is going all WWE on the Ustanak.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

So uhh, what does Sherry do while Jake is going all WWE on the Ustanak.

She can shoot from the sidelines or knock boxes and poo poo into him.

It's a little lame, unfortunately.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

ImpAtom posted:

Can she even shoot? I thought at that point all she has is her stun rod.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All Sherry can do is try to hit Ustanak (or Jake) a crane. Mostly she just gets to sit and watch amazing things happen. It kinda sucks, but at least she doesn't have to do any lovely quick-time events like Sheva.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Crate controls, that's it. And she can also go to the exit door and mash the partner button to call for Jake to come endlessly. The crates can't hit Jake. Also, you know what's funny about that last Sheva QTE? Chris was meant to have jumped over the boulder he punches to help her but for some reason the option doesn't exist, yet he can pull her up if he was there.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 30, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The best part of the game is seriously that entire fight. If every part of Jake's story was just suplexing dudes and having fist fights with them it would've been the perfect game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Lunethex posted:

Also, you know what's funny about that last Sheva QTE? Chris was meant to have jumped over the boulder he punches to help her but for some reason the option doesn't exist, yet he can pull her up if he was there.

Holy gently caress, are you kidding me? I must have lost on that QTE a good 50 times in a row the first time I played as Sheva, and to this day I still can't do it reliably. That makes so much sense and I'm so pissed off that it doesn't work.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That explains a lot about that fight, of course Capcom would never patch that out. :allears:

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013
I hated how all you can do as Sherry is drop crates on the Ustanak or be Jake's loving cheerleader. :colbert:

There seems to be a trend of the final boss completely ignoring the supporting character of the duo. Wesker barely acknowledged Sheve outside of kicking her rear end a bit in cutscenes and only ever said "drat you!" to her at one point in the volcano. That's it- nothing else. Helena gets to snipe at Simmons from a window while he's too busy fighting Ada and Leon, and Sherry gets front row seat to Jake vs Ustanak. Maybe it's because I've played as Sheva, Helena and Sherry the first time I've played both RE5 and RE6, but I find it really annoying. If Capcom's dead set on making Resident Evil a co-op experience they should design their final bosses accordingly dammit. :colbert:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Finally got to play RE6 after getting it on sale and...boy am I glad I waited until it was cheap. I'm not saying there aren't parts where the game is fun because I've definitely laughed out loud as I bust zombie heads against car bonnets and bodyslammed dudes apart but good lord is this game a mess. The camera is terrible and regularly wigs out, for some reason it's way too drat dark constantly and you have no manual flashlight control, I feel like I have no idea how much damage I'm doing to anything as sometimes a zombie will go down in one shot and other times it'll take ten to the head like a champ, sometimes melee attacks just plain don't work and everything has way too many invincibility frames for no goddamn good reason.

And this is only in the first two to three hours of Leon's campaign. I really want to see this through to the end and I'm sure some parts are going to be neat but RE6 has to be the most overblown, misguided mess since Assassin's Creed 3 based on what I've played so far. At least it looks nice and runs really well I guess.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Finally got to play RE6 after getting it on sale and...boy am I glad I waited until it was cheap. I'm not saying there aren't parts where the game is fun because I've definitely laughed out loud as I bust zombie heads against car bonnets and bodyslammed dudes apart but good lord is this game a mess. The camera is terrible and regularly wigs out, for some reason it's way too drat dark constantly and you have no manual flashlight control, I feel like I have no idea how much damage I'm doing to anything as sometimes a zombie will go down in one shot and other times it'll take ten to the head like a champ, sometimes melee attacks just plain don't work and everything has way too many invincibility frames for no goddamn good reason.

And this is only in the first two to three hours of Leon's campaign. I really want to see this through to the end and I'm sure some parts are going to be neat but RE6 has to be the most overblown, misguided mess since Assassin's Creed 3 based on what I've played so far. At least it looks nice and runs really well I guess.

Turn your brightness up. The adjuster says to make it so you can just barely see the 6, but forget that. Crank it as high as you need! It doesn't only go from 1-10, either; it has a pretty wide range.

Also, your melee attacks will feel somewhat weak if you aren't triggering head stuns or heavy (level 2) stuns. Head stuns are, obviously enough, when you shoot an enemy in the head once or twice and they grab their face. Alternately, when they're in a light stun or head stun, you can slide into them to put them into a heavy stun state, which takes them out of commission for several seconds and gives you the option to perform a coup-de-grace attack.

Maybe try practicing your combat in Mercenaries a bit before playing the main campaign, so that the punishment for messing up isn't so harsh.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capcom Japan just announced Resident Evil 6 Complete Edition, which is basically RE6 + DLC + Japanese language pack. So uh RIP that credible rumor about the RE6 Gold edition being good.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Yodzilla posted:

As has been said several times throughout the thread: Leon's campaign is the worst and has probably the most cutscenes. It also has the slowest start.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Capcom Japan just announced Resident Evil 6 Complete Edition, which is basically RE6 + DLC + Japanese language pack. So uh RIP that credible rumor about the RE6 Gold edition being good.

Are Resident Evil (or Biohazard I guess since it's there) voiced in English in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Geight posted:

Are Resident Evil (or Biohazard I guess since it's there) voiced in English in Japan?

Yeah, they're all voiced in English but Capcom's been on a kick with Japanese voice packs lately. Like with the Dragon's Dogma revision.